Seattle NHL Brand Discussion

Toronto206

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, CreamSoda said:

who is RMNB?

Russian Machine Never Breaks, "the relentlessly fun hockey site, hopelessly devoted to the Washington Capitals and Alex Ovechkin." Their report cites an interview John Hoven of MayorsManor.com did with SiriusXM NHL Network Radio. FWIW, John Hoven is a member of the Professional Hockey Writers Association. 

Still, I'm taking this with a grain of salt.

13 minutes ago, CreamSoda said:

who is RMNB?

I assume that's meant to be Russian Machine Never Breaks. But considering even the source posted there also said this;

But save your tweets if they end up doing a giant swerve on everybody and going with something completely different like the Totems, or the Seattle Swarm, or whatever one of the million other names are out there.

So it's not a sure thing that it'll even be the Kraken. And last I recall, Bettman said the name was trending down in favor and I'm fairly sure Leiwieke has been referencing the the Times poll, which Sockeyes won. And the color scheme feels at odds with the Kraken idea; bright red, a tealish color and black lines up with the website colors, and you'd think a kraken-based name would have a darker color scheme then that.

5 hours ago, GMW79 said:

I once read an article pointing out that "pink is a girls color" didn't really become a thing until the 80s, and that 100-150 years ago blue was a girls color because it was "cool" and pink fell into the "hot" red range. There were even military units back then that wore pink uniforms. Sorry I don't have a link, but it was an interesting read. 

While living in Milan I was surprised to find out that the Italians have no such connection between pink and girls. It was there that I also found out that purple is bad for advertising since it is a color of death/funerals for many there. Who knew? 

Seattle Kraken Reportedly Chosen as Name of New NHL Team

January 29, 2020 - 22:27 PM

Could it be? Is the NHL really getting ready to release the Kraken? According to a story on Russian Machine Never Breaks, John Hoven of MayorsManor.com, joined Sirius/XM’s NHL station to report that the league’s upcoming Seattle expansion team had […]

Read More...

They must have been worried about “neighboring” logos that featured a whale and a shark.

Sockeyes is by far a better name, but sharks and whales don’t mess with mythical giant squid. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Also, Hoven mainly covers the Kings and Reign, so he's not tied directly to the Seattle organization in any capacity. If it had been Dreger or something, it'd maybe have more validity to it. It's as valuable as "my brother's uncle's cousin's former roommate said X".

I'd hate Kraken as the team name. Absolute bush-league trash right there.

This wasn't one of the five names the team was looking at. So this is definitely a misdirection. And a gross one at that.

MofnV2z.png

The CCSLC's resident Geelong Cats fan.

Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends. Sounds like something from a Rocky & Bullwinkle story arc.

1 minute ago, buzzcut said:

This wasn't one of the five names the team was looking at. So this is definitely a misdirection. And a gross one at that.

Or alternatively that list wasn't comprehensive/accurate and/or they reassessed after Sockeyes got ruled out 

Archived