Toronto206

Seattle NHL Brand Discussion

Maybe the web site registration is to support the Palm Springs minor league team named Kraken?  We can hope

21 minutes ago, Scrumptious Ham said:

Oh, God, no!

The worst name...I wanted Sockeyes. I wanted it just for the color possibilities.  Not only is Kraken dumb, it will probably produce a team where black is its main color. 

The same guy is reporting that colors are the ones from the NHL Seattle website (coral/seafoam/black).

21 minutes ago, mcj882000 said:

Love to name my professional sports team after a meme that came from a 9-year old movie that nobody really remembers anymore.

You do realize that the Kraken has been in literature since the 13th century, right?

Phonetically the name sounds cool. "Seattle Kraken". They have the opportunity to turn this into something cool. They could go in a lot of directions. It makes sense with the northwest being a fishing hub, and personally I hope they steal the Sonic's color palate because green and yellow is one of he best color combinations ever. Of all the names and identities they could have gone with, this one isn't the worst. It's fun, it has local and historical lore and ties into the local area.

3 minutes ago, O.C.D said:

Phonetically the name sounds cool. "Seattle Kraken". They have the opportunity to turn this into something cool. They could go in a lot of directions. It makes sense with the northwest being a fishing hub, and personally I hope they steal the Sonic's color palate because green and yellow is one of he best color combinations ever. Of all the names and identities they could have gone with, this one isn't the worst. It's fun, it has local and historical lore and ties into the local area.

It doesn't have local lore, at all. We do have giant squid in the Puget Sound, but Kraken comes from the Norse in the North Atlantic. If they wanted to go the mythical route, why not Seattle Sasquatch?

Sockeyes is still better but Kraken is preferable to Squids or something really basic like Whales or Eagles. 

If they don't have an angry squid alternate logo, though, this is a wasted opportunity. 

maybe they just floated the idea to get a reaction. I don't mind the name, just not another red/black/ cool third color team. 

What an absolute :censored:ing sideshow this league is. 

There’s a reason why nobody outside of true hockey fans take this niche sport seriously. 

I don't buy it.

The sourcing on this is way too thin. I don't doubt hat the pre-existing use of "Seattle Sockeys" by a Washington author presents a legal hurdle toward using that name, but I'll wait to express any disappointment until we have more than a satellite radio host citing hearsay. 

Fishy - Sockeyes

Depths of ocean - Kraken

Tallest mountains - Rainier's

Forrests - Evergreens

Green city - Emeralds

Obviously keeping everything on the table still

11 minutes ago, gosioux76 said:

I don't buy it.

The sourcing on this is way too thin. I don't doubt hat the pre-existing use of "Seattle Sockeys" by a Washington author presents a legal hurdle toward using that name, but I'll wait to express any disappointment until we have more than a satellite radio host citing hearsay. 

Vegas was able to get around a trademark dispute with the freaking ARMY. I'm sure Seattle could get around a local author whose trademark only covers e-books.

This sounds like a general test to gauge reaction.