Seattle NHL Brand Discussion

Toronto206

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kraken seems like the kind of name to be chosen by people in charge of hockey that don't actually like hockey.

On behalf of Seattle I'm sorry.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Personally, whether the team ends up being named the Seattle Kraken or not, I'm of the mind that Hoven's blowing smoke about getting the scoop from "a source that's very connected to the situation". 

Let me see if I have this straight. It's late January of 2020 and ace hockey pundit John "The Mayor" Hoven has recently heard that - shhhhhh... keep this under your hat - Sockeyes is "a name that's been used in a book by an author". Gee, who might that be? Jami Davenport? Yeah, we've been hip to the fact that she trademarked "Seattle Sockeyes" for use in her series of romance novels since said news broke 390 days ago. Thanks for catching up with hockey fans and sports branding enthusiasts who read, "Mayor".

But wait... "The Mayor" has more of the inside dope. According to Hoven's insider, the Seattle NHL expansion team's colors are going to be - now listen, you have to swear you won't breathe a word of this to anyone else - "red... a lighter teal-ish color, and black". So, in the red and the black, Hoven means the two colors that have been a mainstay on the NHL Seattle website for 422 days? And by "teal-ish", he's talking about the hue that debuted on the same site 149 days ago? So, in other words, more common knowledge to any member of the general public with even a passing interest in pro hockey and/or sports branding.

Of course, what I particularly love is Hoven's attempt to have it both ways by positioning himself as the trusted pundit capable of providing Sirius XM NHL Network Radio with Seattle pro hockey branding info from "a source that's very connected"... while simultaneously covering his ass with a disclaimer warning fans to "save [their] tweets" if he ends up being the victim of an "ultimate swerve" and purposeful "misleak" of info from the very same source.

3 hours ago, king_mahalo said:

It doesn't have local lore, at all. We do have giant squid in the Puget Sound, but Kraken comes from the Norse in the North Atlantic. If they wanted to go the mythical route, why not Seattle Sasquatch?

I probably didn't word my idea very clearly but ultimately I was trying to say that since the area is in the pacific northwest and is a fishing area more than likely there were fisherman who had seen giant squid and told stories about it. Not that there was a "Seattle Kraken" more the idea that more than likely fisherman had fished the pacific northwest and told tales of seeing a giant squid

1 hour ago, Dolphins Dynasty said:

If this ends up being true, the team and their fans are going to beat the :censored: outta that "RELEASE THE KRAKEN!" line.

Oh for sure. I feel like that line is the only reason a lot of people seem to be in favour of the name.

When I see people on twitter praising the report they say things like "Kraken gives you the most marketing/promoting/design opportunities", then all I see below is 50 replies of the Liam Neeson gif. If this rumour is true the line is going to be overdone by the time they get to the expansion draft.

I'd buy a Kraken jersey.

I've thought every expansion team since the Wild/Jackets/Preds/Thrashers had awful names. Golden Knights included.

I can get behind some nautical Norse mythological hockey action, though.

And I've never seen whatever movie y'all keep talking about.

The problem with "Kraken" for me is that it not only allows for a stale, dead meme to propagate, it also sounds really tryhard "cool". It sounds like a roller hockey team name, honestly; "Seattle Kraken", "Long Island Jawz", "Calgary Rad'z", "Portland Rage".

"Sockeyes" is at least above a Roller Hockey International-tier name. A little corny, maybe, but so is a name like "Pittsburgh Penguins".

On 1/21/2020 at 2:20 PM, TaylorMade said:

https://www.detroithockey.net/news/2020/01/21/speculation-on-nhl-seattles-final-five-names-cougars-emeralds-rainiers-sea-lions-sockeyes/

The speculation is that the final five are:

• Cougars
  • Emeralds
  • Rainiers
  • Sea Lions
  • Sockeyes

There was a thread related to the Kraken that I was researching and didn't follow up on when I wrote that piece because I ran with Geoff Baker's declaration that Kraken had been eliminated.  I followed up on it today and, while I don't have anything strong enough to publish, I'll de-lurk to say my gut feeling is Kraken - if it hasn't outright been chosen - has at least pulled ahead of Sockeyes.  It might all be part of a feint, for sure, but if so, it goes beyond John Hoven.

18 minutes ago, Ridleylash said:

The problem with "Kraken" for me is that it not only allows for a stale, dead meme to propagate, it also sounds really tryhard "cool". It sounds like a roller hockey team name, honestly; "Seattle Kraken", "Long Island Jawz", "Calgary Rad'z", "Portland Rage".

This is fun, I wonder how far we can take it. Providence Jam, Oklahoma City Checkm8z, Long Beach WHOA!, Cincinnati Grrrrrr

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

2 hours ago, O.C.D said:

I probably didn't word my idea very clearly but ultimately I was trying to say that since the area is in the pacific northwest and is a fishing area more than likely there were fisherman who had seen giant squid and told stories about it. Not that there was a "Seattle Kraken" more the idea that more than likely fisherman had fished the pacific northwest and told tales of seeing a giant squid

The original kraken from Norse mythology (which, again, came from the North Atlantic, not the North Pacific) was a whale so giant that it could be mistaken for an island. 

It wasn't until the late 18th century that the Norse kraken was conflated with unrelated stories about giant squids. 

1 hour ago, ColeJ said:

.../Jackets/.../Thrashers had awful names. Golden Knights included.

I actually liked Thrashers, Blue Jackets, and Knights as names myself. The Thrashers' identity was trash, but the name itself was cool. It's the state bird of Georgia if I remember correctly. 

The Blue Jackets being named after Union Civil War soldiers gives it a real old school sports team vibe, like it could have been an O6 name. 

I would have preferred "Desert Knights" over "Golden Knights" (or even just "Knights"), but I still like it well enough. The team's identity the most likeable thing about that organization 😛

Archived