Toronto206

Seattle NHL Brand Discussion

13 minutes ago, LMU said:

"OMG Kraken sux!"

This is the same league that graced us with "Vegas," "Blue Jackets," "Wild," and "Mighty Ducks of Anaheim." 

We'll get through this (if it's even a thing).

Sure, we'll get through it, but the question is...

Do we want to?

1 hour ago, Corvus said:

I have to say, I like Sea Lions more than either Sockeyes or Kraken. 

On its own I like Sea Lions but I fear it would just be seen as a cheap rip off on the Seahawks (like when we had the indoor soccer Sea Dawgs). The Sockeyes keeps the "SS" but is its own thing. 

3 minutes ago, hawk36 said:

On its own I like Sea Lions but I fear it would just be seen as a cheap rip off on the Seahawks (like when we had the indoor soccer Sea Dawgs). The Sockeyes keeps the "SS" but is its own thing. 

Plus that's getting dangerously close to being something of a rebirth of the Seals, and I'm not sure anybody wants that stench on a new franchise. 😛 

2 hours ago, LMU said:

"OMG Kraken sux!"

This is the same league that graced us with "Vegas," "Blue Jackets," "Wild," and "Mighty Ducks of Anaheim." 

Yeah, that’s the point. This league is a sideshow and everyone knows it but them. 

We could get past it, sure. Point is, we shouldn’t have to. 

On 1/29/2020 at 7:12 PM, BellaSpurs said:

Someone please stop them before they take Minnesota’s gold medal for worst name in the big four.

Less we all forget about the Packers... Imagine if a name like this came out today. Introducing the Tulsa Baggers... It’s only acceptable because it has been around for 100 years.

FYI - Seattle does have a large Norwegian influence. See the https://www.nordicmuseum.org, you know the National Norwegian Museum, located In Seattle.  I grew up in a suburb that has “Norway Hill” as a location and Vikings as the mascot to represent the local area.  Not to mention Ballard neighborhood. Please don’t say there is no tie to the region.  

Add to this the Giant Pacific Octopus and it works.  If they wanted to just make money the team would be called Totems, Sockeye or Metropolitans, Kraken has a ton of potential for atmosphere and marketing possibilities.  

Kraken is a solid choice.

On 1/31/2020 at 9:26 PM, Hobogrish said:

Kraken has a ton of potential for atmosphere and marketing possibilities.

For a roller hockey or minor-league team? Sure, absolutely, it's great. I'd be down with the Palm Springs Kraken. It's perfectly in line with that level's branding and it'd make for a fun minor-league logo set.

For a professional franchise in the NHL? No, it's not solid. It doesn't flow well when paired with other names (I've posted about this before) and it's a name that's trying so much to be a "cool" and "hip" name that it comes off as exceptionally dumb. It literally gained as much traction as it did because some people just want to scream a stupid dead meme at the top of their lungs whenever the team comes onto the ice, nothing more.

The mythological thing doesn't even have any ties to Washington itself, either. Yes, Scandinavians live in Washington, but the team should root in the folklore and history of Washington, not a mythological giant sea creature from the other side of the world from where they actually are. At least the Devils named themselves after a myth from their own region. Imagine if the Toronto Maple Leafs were named, like, the Toronto Palms. Would it maybe be more marketable? Yeah. But it also has basically nothing to do with Toronto.

Seattleites, the people this team is clearly primarily marketing to, don't really seem to care for "Kraken" at all if that Seattle Times poll is anything to go by; they seem to have much preferred "Sockeyes".

2 hours ago, MN Wilkings said:

Less we all forget about the Packers... Imagine if a name like this came out today. Introducing the Tulsa Baggers... It’s only acceptable because it has been around for 100 years.

I mean yeah? What’s your point, of course names like both Sox’s and the Packers would be seen as ridiculous today, but they aren’t because their history behind it and they’re classic names? Something gains value over time, including sports teams that are 100 years old?

1 hour ago, Hobogrish said:

FYI - Seattle does have a large Norwegian influence. See the https://www.nordicmuseum.org, you know the National Norwegian Museum, located In Seattle.  I grew up in a suburb that has “Norway Hill” as a location and Vikings as the mascot to represent the local area.  Not to mention Ballard neighborhood. Please don’t say there is no tie to the region.  

Add to this the Giant Pacific Octopus and it works.  If they wanted to just make money the team would be called Totems, Sockeye or Metropolitans, Kraken has a ton of potential for atmosphere and marketing possibilities.  

I live in Seattle's Scandinavian neighborhood, blocks away from said museum. There is zero kraken imagery anywhere. 

10 minutes ago, TaylorMade said:

I live in Seattle's Scandinavian neighborhood, blocks away from said museum. There is zero kraken imagery anywhere. 

This is on Seattle's waterfront:

o.jpg

23 minutes ago, TaylorMade said:

No saying there is imagery.  But it works.  Of the 5 the Kraken is the best.  I personally would have liked the Pilots, Admirals, Fathoms, Yetis or Freeze better.

However, there are 5 choices and this is the best of the 5.  And it works because Seattle as Norwegian ties and historical neighborhoods.

Sockeyes is soooo much better than Kraken, but I feel like I would get used to Kraken if it were chosen and end up not hating it.

48 minutes ago, BellaSpurs said:

I mean yeah? What’s your point, of course names like both Sox’s and the Packers would be seen as ridiculous today, but they aren’t because their history behind it and they’re classic names? Something gains value over time, including sports teams that are 100 years old?

My point was that the Packers’ name, when looking subjectively at all the names of the big 4, is the worst of all in my opinion. Everyone seems to ignore how bad the name is. Saying something gains value over time makes judging any team name a moot point, because eventually they will just be a historic name and then have value. Who cares about the name Kraken or Wild, because in 100 years they will be “classic” names? Additionally, I can’t pass up an opportunity to insult the team I hate more than any other. Does it bother any one else that Green Bay uses just a G for their logo and not a GB? I can’t think of another situation like it. But I guess it’s acceptable since it’s “classic.” I shouldn’t  cringe when I see it because it’s “classic,” and therefore a “good” design. 

I like the name Seattle SeaMonsters but it sounds too minor league even with giant squid imagery. 

The parallels between the1995 Toronto NBA Franchise name/identity story & the current Seattle NHL process are interesting.

Toronto started off with a long list of potential team names before narrowing down to 3 contenders...

A traditional/historic "Huskies": a local-reference "Towers": and a pop-culture-with-nothing-at-all-to-do-with-local-flavour "Raptors".

Fast-Forward to 2020, and Seattle faces a similar decision...do they go with a historic "Mets" or "Totems": a local ref "Sockeyes" or "Rainiers" or "Emeralds/Evergreens"?...

or do they choose the more trendy-global "Krāken"?

I can remember back then, not really liking the Raptors decision... But my gawd, every young 'un LOVED the choice, primarily because of the renewed interest in dinosaurs due to the successful Jurassic Park movie. I think that the Raps were in the top 10 in merch sales before their first tip-off.

25 years later, those kids are in their 30's, and can't imagine their team by any other name. As IceCap mentioned earlier, there was talk of a re-thinking of the identity, but I believe that was more of a result of a disappointing performance history, rather than a dissatisfaction with the name. The "We the North" campaign provided a brilliant alias, but the Raptors/dinosaur theme allowed for a lot of brand growth and development, in spite of not being a Toronto-centric identity.

8 hours ago, BellaSpurs said:

He's a Vikings fan. It might have something to do with it 😂😂😂🤣🤣🤣

16 hours ago, Hobogrish said:

A small part of Seattle HAD a large Norwegian influence but, unfortunately, it's all but gone. I had my office in Ballard for 15 years, was on the boards of Arts Ballard and the Ballard Merchants Association and had a close relationship with the annual Norwegian Day Parade. In that time I saw a great little neighborhood full of people actually speaking Norwegian, become a bit too hip. Trendy bars and restaurants have now ousted long time Norwegian businesses leaving the neighborhood without its soul. Yes there is the museum and the parade still takes place, but it's a shell of what it was. And even if the influence was still real, Ballard is only a small part of the greater Seattle area and region.

16 hours ago, sparky chewbarky said:

The parallels between the1995 Toronto NBA Franchise name/identity story & the current Seattle NHL process are interesting.

Toronto started off with a long list of potential team names before narrowing down to 3 contenders...

A traditional/historic "Huskies": a local-reference "Towers": and a pop-culture-with-nothing-at-all-to-do-with-local-flavour "Raptors".

Fast-Forward to 2020, and Seattle faces a similar decision...do they go with a historic "Mets" or "Totems": a local ref "Sockeyes" or "Rainiers" or "Emeralds/Evergreens"?...

or do they choose the more trendy-global "Krāken"?

I can remember back then, not really liking the Raptors decision... But my gawd, every young 'un LOVED the choice, primarily because of the renewed interest in dinosaurs due to the successful Jurassic Park movie. I think that the Raps were in the top 10 in merch sales before their first tip-off.

25 years later, those kids are in their 30's, and can't imagine their team by any other name. As IceCap mentioned earlier, there was talk of a re-thinking of the identity, but I believe that was more of a result of a disappointing performance history, rather than a dissatisfaction with the name. The "We the North" campaign provided a brilliant alias, but the Raptors/dinosaur theme allowed for a lot of brand growth and development, in spite of not being a Toronto-centric identity.

Well the Raptors brand has gone down practically every time it’s changed imo. The “We The North” campaign being pretty poor and bad in comparison to the rest of the NBA. When the Raptors name came out, I wasn’t alive yet so I can’t tell from experience, but I can tell you it was better than Kraken. Kraken has no history at all in anything, there might be a few statues or whatever but it’s an Atlantic and Scandinavian mythical creature, and has nothing to do with Seattle, it also is a non plural name, no s at the end, which, like Wild and Thunder, can sound super unprofessional and ridiculous. It reminds me of the Rocky Mountain Extreme, it’s that bad. The Raptors name however, had references more tied to Canada and Toronto. Canada, while more especially Alberta, is known for Dinosaurs, being plentifully rich in fossils, and as the Grizzlies took a more locally cultured brand focus, the Raptors got the rest of Canada, especially since they had Red in thier color scheme. The name Raptors was also had basis off the Jurassic Park movies, which, while a bad inspiration for a sports team, means it had culture significance at the time as it was the most popular movie. The Kraken have no movie, let alone influence in the Seattle area to call their own. Finally the Raptors also is just a better name, seems, more professional, not the most professional, I would much prefer huskies, but it’s better than the literal embodiment of the fire emoji movement that is the Kraken. 

the Packers name will always work here in the central valley w/ all of our fruit/meat packing facilities. Our pop warner team is the Packers. 

If it's Kraken, I cannot imagine what the mascot is going to look like.