Seattle NHL Brand Discussion

Toronto206

I get physically tired reading Ridley's posts because of all the bold, italics, and underlines. Every post feels like a passionate locker room speech by a captain after a tough playoff loss. Gut check time, boys. Lol.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, ColeJ said:

I get physically tired reading Ridley's posts because of all the bold, italics, and underlines. Every post feels like a passionate locker room speech by a captain after a tough playoff loss. Gut check time, boys. Lol.

What can I say, I'm a passionate guy. 😛

8 hours ago, Sport said:

I prefer Sockeyes to Kraken, but my favorite pick, the Pilots, seems to be DOA, which is lame. 

I always think of Pilots as aircraft (rather than boats), thus don't like the name since Boeing left town. Kind of salt in the wound although I could be too sensitive to it since I lost a lot Boeing business when they left.  

Just now, hawk36 said:

I always think of Pilots as aircraft (rather than boats), thus don't like the name since Boeing left town. Kind of salt in the wound although I could be too sensitive to it since I lost a lot Boeing business when they left.  

Also, I don’t want to revive the name of the future Milwaukee Brewers.

Just now, monkeypower said:

Well it's only right that the NHL steals a name of a former MLB team after the MLB did it to them.

To be fair, the NHL Rockies were :censored:ty enough that the Avs would never have used that name for anything regardless. 😛

11 minutes ago, monkeypower said:

"Go (name) Go" works better for single syllable names, while "Let's Go (name)" is better for two syllable names.

A "Let's go, [name]!" chant can work for a one-syllable name if the cadence is more even in pace and (for lack of a better description) less downward in tone than a version of the chant with a name with two or more syllables.  I have heard and said chants of both "Let's go, Predators!" and "Let's go, Preds!" at many Nashville Predators home games, and those two chants have noticeably different cadences that, in turn, lead to almost equally smooth flows off of the tongue.

Oooh!  Now we're talking!  Their mascot could be named Smoke or Snort the Kraken!

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

9 hours ago, Sport said:

I prefer Sockeyes to Kraken, but my favorite pick, the Pilots, seems to be DOA, which is lame. 

I don't mind Pilots, but it could be a bit redundant with the NHL already having the Jets & Flyers.

47 minutes ago, spartacat_12 said:

I don't mind Pilots, but it could be a bit redundant with the NHL already having the Jets & Flyers.

you're not the first person to make this point, but in a league with the Red Wings, Blackhawks, Blues, Blue Jackets, and Golden Knights, I don’t think it’d be a big deal. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

2 hours ago, ZapRowsdower8 said:

Any chant would have to be “Let’s Get Kraken!” Clap clap clapclapclap. All of the Krakheads, filling the Krakden with this chant will be a sight to see! 

I am now 100% for this awful name being picked. 

This would be cool though

Start 1min before the team comes on to the ice (before opening face off). Then show the Kraken ripping apart the ship after each WIN! Hey if the Succos can use the Hoist the Colors video clip from At worlds End, why can't a Hockey Team named the Kraken use the Davy Jones / Kraken video clip from Dead Mans Chest?

14 hours ago, IceCap said:

So that's 23/31 with a local tie-in, 8/31 with generic names.

So no, a Seattle team named after a mythical creature from the North Atlantic isn't more locally appropriate than "half of the teams in the NHL" 😛

I appreciate the effort you went to here, it was definitely a hyperbolic statement. Some of your picks are debatable (Anaheim, Calgary) but your overall point is still true. 

Nontheless, I know you'll still disagree with me but Kraken has enough of a connection (cephalopods, scandinavian population in Seattle) to make your first list. 

spacer.png

10 hours ago, henburg said:

I appreciate the effort you went to here

Thank you, but it really didn't take much. Like I said earlier? Hockey, more than any other Big Four sport in North America, trends towards locally relevant names. I think that's because half of the O6 had them, and there's a perception that it's actually four of six because people subconsciously associate the Red Wings' logo with the automotive industry. Hockey fetishizes its older teams and traditions like no other sport, and I think that's led to the vast majority of post-O6 teams adopting locally relevant names to sort of tie in with that "feel."
It was merely a matter of going through the list in my head and realizing what the numbers were shaping up to be.

it was definitely a hyperbolic statement

It's always a hyperbolic statement after it's proven incorrect 😛

Nontheless, I know you'll still disagree with me but Kraken has enough of a connection (cephalopods, scandinavian population in Seattle) to make your first list.

Sure, Kraken has some local relevance to Seattle. My two points are 1) the connection is weaker than other options like "Sockeyes," "Rainers," "Evergreens," and "Emeralds" and 2) that the connections that are there aren't strong enough to make it more locally relevant than "half the NHL," which was your claim.

On 2/5/2020 at 5:59 AM, IceCap said:

[citation needed]

EDIT- Let's look at it.

Locally Appropriate NHL Team Names

Anaheim Ducks- Tricky since they lost the Disney connection, but the team was still named after a Disney franchise, a company headquartered in Anaheim.

Arizona Coyotes- Local wildlife reference.

Calgary Flames- Began as a locally appropriate name in Atlanta to reference the city burning during the US Civil War, still works as a local name in Calgary, referencing Alberta's energy sector.

Carolina Hurricanes- The Carolinas get a lot of hurricanes.

Chicago Blackhawks- Named after a Native military leader from the region.

Colorado Avalanche- They play in Denver, a mountainous city. In Colorado, a mountainous state. Avalanches happen on mountains.

Columbus Blue Jackets- Named after the blue jackets worn by Union Civil War soldiers, which were manufactured in large part in Ohio.

Dallas Stars- Sort of a repeat of the Flames situation. The name fit in Minnesota when they were the North Stars. "Stars" works just as well in Dallas, as Texas is the Lone Star State.

Edmonton Oilers- Another reference to Alberta's energy sector.

Florida Panthers- Local wildlife reference.

Minnesota Wild- Playing off of the idealized wilderness of Minnesota.

Montreal Canadiens- The team was founded to be a team for French Canada, and they named themselves after the French version of the name "Canadians."

Nashville Predators- Named after a local fossil.

New Jersey Devils- Named after a local myth.

New York Islanders- They play on Long Island in New York State so... 🤷‍♂️

Ottawa Senators- Named after the Canadian Senate, which is located in Canada's capital of Ottawa.

San Jose Sharks- Named after local wildlife in the San Francisco Bay.

St. Louis Blues- References the local music traditions of the city of St. Louis.

Tampa Bay Lighting- Tampa Bay is known as the "Lightning Capital of North America."

Toronto Maple Leafs- Renamed from St. Pats to Maple Leafs by Conn Smythe, who wanted to emphasize the team as the team for English Canada's cultural capital. 

Vancouver Canucks- Borderline, as "Canuck" is a general slang term for "Canadian," but the team's use for both the lumberjack version of Johnny Canuck and the orca whale in Pacific Northwest Native styling do a lot to tie it to the region.

Washington Capitals- Named after Washington DC, the capital of the United States.

Winnipeg Jets- They use a Royal Canadian Airforce roundel as the basis for their logo, and there is a prominent RCAF base in the city.

Generic NHL Team Names

Boston Bruins

Buffalo Sabres

Detroit Red Wings- The Winged Wheel could be an automotive industry reference, but it's not explicitly so. Also, the name and logo were actually taken to reference the Montreal AAA Winged Wheelers, the first team to ever win the Stanley Cup.

Los Angeles Kings

New York Rangers

Philadelphia Flyers

Pittsburgh Penguins

Vegas Golden Knights

So that's 23/31 with a local tie-in, 8/31 with generic names.

So no, a Seattle team named after a mythical creature from the North Atlantic isn't more locally appropriate than "half of the teams in the NHL" 😛

Test on Monday...lol

The Golden Knights were named by the owner because he served in the U.S. Military Academy at West Point. There they're known as the Black Knights, but the owner wanted to use Golden instead, because of the glitz and glamour of Las Vegas.

13 minutes ago, Tygers09 said:

The Golden Knights were named by the owner because he served in the U.S. Military Academy at West Point. There they're known as the Black Knights, but the owner wanted to use Golden instead, because of the glitz and glamour of Las Vegas.

That's common knowledge here.  That also doesn't necessarily tie into the community, especially when Golden Knights is also the name of the US Army parachute team.

VmWIn6B.png

Archived