Seattle NHL Brand Discussion

Toronto206

9 hours ago, Tygers09 said:

Hey, whatever name gets picked, some people are going to like it, some will love it, and there will always be some critic(s) that will have a comment on how it doesn't fit or ask what were they were thinking. Cant please everyone.

This is true, however there is always a solution that will please the most people and leave fewer feathers ruffled. I’m guessing most people aren’t super enamoured with the name ‘Avalanche’, but would still take it over “Rocky Mountain Xtreme”, despite the select few that would adore an ‘Xtreme’ Snapback tucked backwards on their head.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm little partial on the singular plural nicknames especially when it involves the weather, with the likes of the Avalanche, the Heat, the Windchill or just Chill, or Ice. The two MLB Sox teams did make an unique way of shortening the suffix of Socks.

But I couldn't understand why the WNBA's Utah Stazz had spelt theirs just to be like that of the Jazz.

6 hours ago, Tygers09 said:

I'm little partial on the singular plural nicknames especially when it involves the weather, with the likes of the Avalanche, the Heat, the Windchill or just Chill, or Ice. The two MLB Sox teams did make an unique way of shortening the suffix of Socks.

But I couldn't understand why the WNBA's Utah Stazz had spelt theirs just to be like that of the Jazz.

Because the Jazz sponsored them I believe 

I can't wait to get the actual name, logos and uniforms. If I see one more post about how Kraken doesn't represent Seattle or Sockeyes is a weak fish, I will tear the rest of my hair out. Whichever name they reveal, you will love it. Seattle will buys tons of merch. Because it's NHL hockey, In Seattle.  

Everyone loves a roundel.

1 hour ago, KJTALBOT said:

I can't wait to get the actual name, logos and uniforms. If I see one more post about how Kraken doesn't represent Seattle or Sockeyes is a weak fish, I will tear the rest of my hair out. Whichever name they reveal, you will love it. Seattle will buys tons of merch. Because it's NHL hockey, In Seattle.  

Right On! 👍👍

2 hours ago, KJTALBOT said:

This is true. Plus the Sonics will have a license to print money whenever they return (It’s an absolute travesty how the NBA has treated Seattle, but the team will be welcomed back)

washingtonst.gif

My teams

NCAA: Washington State

MLB: Seattle Mariners

NFL: Seattle Seahawks

NBA: Portland Trailblazers

EPL: Liverpool FC

MLS: Seattle Sounders FC

NHL: Pittsburgh Penguins

3 hours ago, KJTALBOT said:

You've seen this board right, we have never all loved anything. And yes I will buy it because I have a hat and shirt of every NHL team, but I don't have to like it. I've never worn my Kings hat/shirt once. 

Sea Lions is good. It's regional, alliterative, and unlike a seahawk/seadog it actually exists as more than a nickname of another species. The marketing possibilities are endless. 

Sockeyes is similar just to a lesser extent IMO.  Fish don't tend to be exciting as a mascot unless they're highly predatory. 

Totems/Metropolitans work as well. Not as exciting as the first two, but the history is important, though I can see how the MLB team makes the latter one somewhat problematic. 

Emeralds I like as well but I can see how it limits you in terms of branding and marketing. 

Everything else just ranges from sounding like bad minor league to just try hard names. 

On 4/13/2017 at 7:03 PM, T-ROY said:

I think it's stupid to name your team after a previous local team. It only happened with the Jets because SOOOOOOOOOO many people wanted it. The Metros played over a century ago, where the name should stay. And yea the NY Mets and Metropolitan Division connection doesn't really give it much help. 

*rolls his eyes*

On 2/12/2020 at 2:32 PM, BrianLion said:

Sockeyes is similar just to a lesser extent IMO.  Fish don't tend to be exciting as a mascot unless they're highly predatory. 

Salmon are known for their long, grueling journeys upstream. I think you can come up with tons of marketing ideas revolving around that, especially with toughness & endurance being signature characteristics of hockey players.

54 minutes ago, spartacat_12 said:

Salmon are known for their long, grueling journeys upstream. I think you can come up with tons of marketing ideas revolving around that, especially with toughness & endurance being signature characteristics of hockey players.

Exactly; and the marketing possibilities with "Sockeyes" extend further then just a team name. The arena itself can get nicknames like "The Riverbed", the fanbase can be called "The Shoal", you can promote the team and it's players as having "the heart and endurance of a sockeye salmon swimming upstream", etc.

Besides, this looks plenty "fierce" enough to work as a mascot, and has enough aggressive qualities to work well for an NHL franchise;

spacer.png

You don't need dumb pop-culture references that are years out of date and hardly relevant to the region when you have a perfectly good, fairly cool-looking native fish that can do the job as a mascot just as well.

Ok on the filp side, look at the Rainiers and Cascades, both have been used before for other sports teams ( Seattle AUDL is called the Cascades so that one is out), and besides, people will say those are just a play on the Rockies. 

4 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

...the fanbase can be called "The Shoal"

I genuinely like Sockeyes as a name, but that’s probably the least persuasive thing you could have said to sell it. 🙂

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Archived