Canadian Premier League

nas1787

And the final club is the Moncton Tides. The crest features the Cape Enrage lighthouse near Moncton and on the Bay of Fundy (which is known for its tides). The secondary logo is directly from the New Brunswick flag. The red is for the loyalist history of the area, the brown for the Fundy mud flats (also red and brown just look fantastic together). The home kit features a chevron pattern on the shirt, while the clash is all black with neon red accents.

6qAQ77w.png

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So that's it for the clubs. The only other thing I did was put together some league collateral: referee uniforms, official game balls, and a substitution board, featuring one of the major league sponsors, the Canadian watchmaker Marathon.

RoplqmH.png

Hope you enjoyed it, and I can't wait to see what the actual league looks like in 2018!

22 hours ago, nas1787 said:

And the second team for 2022 is Quebec City. The crest is a fleur de lis, with a Q integrated into it. The secondary logo features the ship and ramparts from the city's flag. The colours are pretty typical Quebec, and hearken back to the old Nordiques. The home kit has a cross pattern, kind of like the Quebec flag, and the clash kit has tonal fleur de lis across it.

pPs5XuK.png

Decent set and all, but... No french-speaking has ever referred to Québec as "Ville de Quebec"... and that to me, nullify all the amazing work you've done so far. Sorry...

@Frenchie_TO
Owner of the Rochester Americans of the MLH

Owner of the Toronto Frenchies of the GCFHL6

16 hours ago, Frenchie said:

Decent set and all, but... No french-speaking has ever referred to Québec as "Ville de Quebec"... and that to me, nullify all the amazing work you've done so far. Sorry...

Wait what? I call it "la ville de Québec" all the time. "De Québec" is more common, but I definitely say ville.

Great series.

Can't wait to see the CPL actually play out and let's hope that the league looks as good as you made it look!

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

On 5/7/2017 at 3:53 PM, Xamboni said:

Wait what? I call it "la ville de Québec" all the time. "De Québec" is more common, but I definitely say ville.

You can refer to the city as "la ville", but if I'm travelling to Halifax, I will say: "I'm going to Halifax", not "I'm going to the City of Halifax", similarly, I will say: "Je m'en vais à Québec" as oppose to "Je m'en vais au Québec" if I'm referring to the province. (difference between going to the city versus to the province)

You can look up anything from Quebec City in French, and you will never find "ville" in it.

Nordiques de Québec

Remparts de Québec

As de Québec

etc... 

Sorry, but it should be "FC Québec", period.

@Frenchie_TO

17 hours ago, Frenchie said:

You can refer to the city as "la ville", but if I'm travelling to Halifax, I will say: "I'm going to Halifax", not "I'm going to the City of Halifax", similarly, I will say: "Je m'en vais à Québec" as oppose to "Je m'en vais au Québec" if I'm referring to the province. (difference between going to the city versus to the province)

You can look up anything from Quebec City in French, and you will never find "ville" in it.

Nordiques de Québec

Remparts de Québec

As de Québec

etc... 

Sorry should have clarified that i am Québécois, and I often hear "je viens de la ville de Québec "

obviously it isn't in team names, as that is traditionally a soccer thing to do. Like NYCFC and Man City

22 hours ago, Frenchie said:

Nordiques de Québec

Remparts de Québec

As de Québec

etc... 

What does it matter if people don't call it Ville de Quebec in everyday usage? It's an official name for a club, using the longer version of the city's name. As Xamboni points out, it's in the vein of Man City or Orlando City.

Plus, one little disagreement on a club name ruining the entire series for you seems like a bit of an over reaction.

On 5/9/2017 at 10:23 PM, nas1787 said:

What does it matter if people don't call it Ville de Quebec in everyday usage? It's an official name for a club, using the longer version of the city's name. As Xamboni points out, it's in the vein of Man City or Orlando City.

Plus, one little disagreement on a club name ruining the entire series for you seems like a bit of an over reaction.

I love Xamboni's work, and said so... 

Now I understand the meaning of the use of "City" as the Club and not municiplaity, I'm thinking that if you did the French thing (as opposed to French-Canadian)and accepting the use of English words in common language, it may become: Le FC Québec City.

@Frenchie_TO

• 10 months later...
On 19/04/2017 at 5:45 PM, nas1787 said:

So you may have heard that Canada is set to launch a brand new domestic soccer league sometime soon. No concrete details yet on league structure or clubs, but some info has been leaking out--including that the league will likely be called the Canadian Premier League. Here's my attempt at a fairly realistic look at what we might see when the league is finally announced (hopefully next month).

KP8s7LT.png

bcdob2e.png

VJDaXqV.png

Hello! I love all of the Art Work... I intend on making a Canadian Premier league of sorts in Football Manager and I would love to use some of these graphics! Would it be possible to use them... if so how can I credit you! As this is just brilliant! 

Only just found this.

What a great thread you have made nas1787, I like your idea for Toronto and I totally agree with you that a truly national CPL must have a team to represent it besides a seconds TFC side.

Just wanted to get your views on leaving Montreal, Vancouver Area (Burnaby, Langley, Abbotsford), Kelowna or Sudbury out of the mix.

As I said love this thread.

Logano wins BOWL before Chargers.

On 2017-05-02 at 9:25 PM, nas1787 said:

Ok the second team in for 2020 is Toronto. There's been lots of words from TFC president Bill Manning about the CanPL in Toronto, but I think it's inevitable. If you want the league to be successful, a Toronto team is a must. I chose the name Dukes, which has been used here on the boards before (I most definitely stole it from chrisCLEMENT's NFA series. It's a great unique name, with a local tie (Toronto used to be called York, after the Duke of York). Plus, I've always wanted to make a soccer crest out of the heraldic belt, and this was the perfect opportunity (check out the current Duke of York's Twitter image). In the middle of the belt is a trillium flower, Ontario's official flower. The secondary logo is a large D with the CN Tower protruding out of it.

I wanted to use blue in the colour scheme, but in a different way than the Argos/Leafs/Jays. What I came up with was a white and navy colour scheme, with the home kit primarily white rather than blue. I went with a sash on the shirt and hooped socks. The clash is a lighter blue from head to toe with pin hoops.

0SyBlaa.png

Overall, very good work!  A nice thing about these concepts is they use a variety of styles, so they don't look as though they were all done by the same designer (although they were).

As my username implies, I, too, am a fan of heraldic design.  As such, I feel a need to point out for this Toronto set that the 'belt' used by the Duke of York as a badge is really a garter, as in the Order of the Garter he is entitled to display as a member.  Many Scottish clan badges use similar looking belts, so it is confusing.  Given the heraldic references, I am somewhat dissatisfied with how stylised (1970s logo style) the garter and the trillium are.  A touch more realism would make them ring truer for me, recognising that heraldic art is inherently stylised, even when blazoned as 'proper.' As examples of what I am talking about, I like the trilliums used in the arms of the Ontario Association of Certified Engineering Technicians and Technologists and the way the garter is portrayed on the Queen's arms.  It comes down to adding a little more realistic detail, but not too much.

2-190_OntarioAssociationofCertifiedEngin250px-Royal_Coat_of_Arms_of_the_United_K

Use the rules of heraldry for more effective sports logos! i.e. keep it simple, use good contrast...

Archived