OKC Thunder Rebrand

Funkatron101

I've been slacking in finishing the Brooklyn Nets uniforms in favor of this. 

I had three objectives when creating the new logo for OKC. 

1. Retain the shield/crest from their current logo (OKC has told Nike they want to keep the crest)
2. Create a unique color palette for the NBA.
3. Tie in thunder/storm elements into the logo without being overly cliche.

okc-wp_zpsq7r9sywj.png

You know the drill. More logos/uniforms to come. 

7 minutes ago, Funkatron101 said:

Yes! At the risk of mixing motifs, more will be revealed with the secondary that elude to this. 

Thundering locomotive, whilst looking kind of like lightning or rain in the primary. Got it.

rATMcmK.png

1 hour ago, Whittier S said:

No, no, I see it now--it's the sun breaking through the clouds. Now I'm digging it.

It is intended to be dual purposed. I'm just wondering if the locomotive AND thunder storm with sun peeking out is a bit too...ambitious. 

3 hours ago, Whittier S said:

Do you mean for the bottom of the logo to look like the cowcatcher on a locomotive?

Yeah, I instantly thought of Purdue.

But it's otherwise nice; subtly capturing some of the elements of thunder.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

46 minutes ago, OnWis97 said:

Yeah, I instantly thought of Purdue.

But it's otherwise nice; subtly capturing some of the elements of thunder.

Ahh... I think I was unknowingly getting inspiration from them. I'll probably reconsider the idea and change that bottom part a bit.

I actually really like this design. I think it would be smart to maybe de-emphasis the locomotive grill (albeit without losing the imagery) and emphasize the storm/lightning combo on the top. The clouds only have a spot or two that make them seem to wrinkle like a true cloud, and the lightning bolt could use some work. The basketball feels a little forced, especially in the "sun breaking through" motif, but it doesn't look bad.

Just a thought off the top of my head - maybe make the basketball out of the front design of a typical locomotive (the "button" for lack of a better word, like where the 1992 on the image below is). That might contradict my idea of de-emphasizing the cow catcher itself, but it might work.

17-train-logo-design.gif

"I believe in Auburn and love it!"

ojNNazQ.jpg

7 hours ago, Clintau24 said:

I actually really like this design. I think it would be smart to maybe de-emphasis the locomotive grill (albeit without losing the imagery) and emphasize the storm/lightning combo on the top. The clouds only have a spot or two that make them seem to wrinkle like a true cloud, and the lightning bolt could use some work. The basketball feels a little forced, especially in the "sun breaking through" motif, but it doesn't look bad.

Just a thought off the top of my head - maybe make the basketball out of the front design of a typical locomotive (the "button" for lack of a better word, like where the 1992 on the image below is). That might contradict my idea of de-emphasizing the cow catcher itself, but it might work.

17-train-logo-design.gif

That was actually part of the plan for the secondary, but with the comparison to Perdue, I am reevaluating the whole idea of the locomotive concept.

16 hours ago, Funkatron101 said:

It is intended to be dual purposed. I'm just wondering if the locomotive AND thunder storm with sun peeking out is a bit too...ambitious. 

What you've got so far is certainly well-executed, though I agree that it might be a little too ambitious. To me, it's almost the exact opposite of the issue I see in the Washington Wizards' current identity -- while they neglect to embrace the singular identity they do have as the Wizards, this posits the Thunder to juggle between multiple rather dissimilar identities. Many OKC Thunder concepts I've seen over the years incorporate more than one theme (thunder, lightning, buffalo stampedes, Native American influence, etc.), though I'm not sure it works as well when they compete with one another in the same logo. I'm very interested to see what direction you take this in, especially in regards to the secondary logos and marks that will fill out their identity!

I myself like the dual imagery. It's what makes the Minnesota Wild logo so great. (True confession: the first time I saw the logo, I saw the forest but not the bear.)

rATMcmK.png

The logo is nice. Anything's better than what they're using.

It might work well though with some more of the bright colors they use in their current scheme. I get that Thunder is represented with grey skies, gloomy colors, etc...to illustrate a portrait of a thunderstorm. But I think it can work both ways too.

Archived