Proposed Chicago Bears Logo from 1973

uuillis

I found this in an old design book and wanted see if anyone knew anything about it.

58fa7d61e0f11_ScreenShot2017-04-21at5_44_15PM.thumb.png.cacf27831047ad94ce2c68cb8202f903.png

(from book)

76. The Chicago Bears, a football club. Proposed new mark. Designed in 1973 by Emil M. Cohen.

Digging around, 1973 was the year the team switched from the all-white wishbone C to the orange outlined one. The designer is from the Chicago area and has designed other (non-football) logos. I wonder if he did the wishbone C redesign or if this was part of a logo competition of sorts. Anyway, thought I'd share. 

Way too busy to work as a logo, especially on a helmet. Like the Raiders logo and the old Vikings logo, there is too much small detail that would be lost as such a small size, making the entire logo look like a blob. Not to mention it's just incredibly dated.

I like their actual bear alternate logo. It's not perfect, and also probably overly detailed, but if you want an actual bear logo for the Bears, it's certainly workable.

8 hours ago, schlim said:

I like the telephone cord backhair.

Looks like he's wearing a Secret Service earpiece under his helmet...

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

1 hour ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

This is great work!  Except it doesn't need the shadow.

Anyway, the colouring shows that this could be a logo today.

Thanks! I went back and forth on whether to adda shadow or not. I think it adds to it. Seemed a little plain without it imo.

@loganaweaver - Twitter / @loganaweaver - Instagram / Nike Vapor Untouchable Football Template  / Logan's Logos

Thanks for the comments. The early 1970's were a weird time for design (graphic, fashion, architectural and otherwise). It definitely wouldn't work on a helmet but would look great (back then) as branding on letterhead or marketing material. I agree that it'd look great on a t-shirt which is the first thing I did when I found it. 

I checked out the US Trademark database to see if the team registered this. They didn't but I found these gems from that era...

ImageAgentProxy.gif

ImageAgentProxy-2.gif

Archived