uuillis

Proposed Chicago Bears Logo from 1973

I think this "proposed new mark" would have been solely for non-field applications replacing the "roaring bear." It would have fit in well with its contemporaries. Not that the Oilers and Cowboys each had stylized helmet logos at the time.

Image result for sears sheets nfl 1975

Dating myself -- I had that bedspread and curtain set as a kid.

3 hours ago, matthew516 said:

I think this "proposed new mark" would have been solely for non-field applications replacing the "roaring bear." It would have fit in well with its contemporaries. 

Agreed.  It's pretty clear that this was intended to be a primary logo, not a helmet logo.

8 hours ago, uuillis said:

Thanks for the comments. The early 1970's were a weird time for design (graphic, fashion, architectural and otherwise). It definitely wouldn't work on a helmet but would look great (back then) as branding on letterhead or marketing material. I agree that it'd look great on a t-shirt which is the first thing I did when I found it. 

I checked out the US Trademark database to see if the team registered this. They didn't but I found these gems from that era...

ImageAgentProxy.gif

ImageAgentProxy-2.gif

Why is the bear on the bottom on a pitcher's mound? Is this some cross-promotion with the Cubs that went horribly wrong?

22 hours ago, leopard88 said:

Dating myself -- I had that bedspread and curtain set as a kid.

[raises hand] me too

19 hours ago, ChicagoOakland said:

Why is the bear on the bottom on a pitcher's mound? Is this some cross-promotion with the Cubs that went horribly wrong?

Probably a spotlight.  Unless this graphic actually dates from before 1971, when they moved out of Wrigley.