BuffaloJJ

Beto O'Rourke Campaign Design

Recommended Posts

I finally decided to upload a concept to the site, so let's see how this goes!

 

I was pretty excited when Beto O'Rourke announced that he was going to run for Texas' U.S. Senate seat, so I decided to put my built up energy into use and make a graphic/ poster (I will probably tinker with the dimensions, if I do use it as a poster) in support of his campaign. 

 

I wanted to theme the graphic around a Southwestern/Hispanic textile design which is reflective of O'Rourke's hometown and congressional district of El Paso, Texas. I based the color scheme further around this by including pastel versions of the colors typically associated with the West Texas town (Orange and Blue: UTEP and Yellow: El Paso flag). The center of the design reads "Run Beto for Senate" inside an 'abstract' representation of the State of Texas (I felt that something more geometric played better with the theme) coupled with a 'Lone Star' in West Texas. The font used for "Run" and "for Senate" is El Sancho Rancho, and "Beto" is sourced from his senate/congressional campaign logo. 

 

C&C are obviously welcome, but I'd rather it center around the design instead of politics :rolleyes: 

 

 

 

BETO.jpg

BETO.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Run Beto for Senate" sounds very odd to me. It sounds like something you'd say before he announced his intentions, i.e. it's like saying "Run, Beto! For Senate!" Maybe replace run with his first name?

 

EDIT: I'm aware it's probably intended to read "Beto: Run for Senate," but even that just comes off as a mouthful to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unsure why the graphic is posting at such a low resolution, so I'll be working to fix that, but in the meantime feel free to comment!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Quillz said:

"Run Beto for Senate" sounds very odd to me. It sounds like something you'd say before he announced his intentions, i.e. it's like saying "Run, Beto! For Senate!" Maybe replace run with his first name?

 

EDIT: I'm aware it's probably intended to read "Beto: Run for Senate," but even that just comes off as a mouthful to me.

Appreciate the feedback. The phrasing was based on his Congressional campaign slogans of "Run Beto Run" which I tried to incorporate into a more specific slogan based on this Senate race. However, I do see your point in how that comes off as confusing, or grammatically odd. Any suggestions on what I could put instead?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, BuffaloJJ said:

Appreciate the feedback. The phrasing was based on his Congressional campaign slogans of "Run Beto Run" which I tried to incorporate into a more specific slogan based on this Senate race. However, I do see your point in how that comes off as confusing, or grammatically odd. Any suggestions on what I could put instead?

 

1 minute ago, BuffaloJJ said:

Maybe replace run with his first name?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will play around with the phrasing of the slogan so it comes across better. I'm leaning towards "Vote Beto for Senate" or "Beto O'Rourke for Senate".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cleaned up the graphic a little and fixed the resolution issue. I'm still playing with the slogan - I might just do "Beto for Senate".BETO-2.thumb.png.900b2410175d79bcfba8b89d2eb7fb95.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is how it looks with just "Beto for Senate". I also separated the slogan and state from the rest of the graphic, for another option. 

BETO1-3.png

betotx1.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Much better.

 

As a logo, it doesn't work well without the pattern behind it. With most recent campaign logos, (Hillary, Bernie, etc.) there's a versatility where they can go on most backgrounds, and still work on their own. This doesn't have that.

 

It's a fair design, but that's my one nitpick. I'm not sure how to fix it, though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Zeus89725 said:

Much better.

 

As a logo, it doesn't work well without the pattern behind it. With most recent campaign logos, (Hillary, Bernie, etc.) there's a versatility where they can go on most backgrounds, and still work on their own. This doesn't have that.

 

It's a fair design, but that's my one nitpick. I'm not sure how to fix it, though.

Appreciate the comment. Yeah, I agree that, right now, it doesn't stand by its self well. I was thinking of maybe having the shape of Texas itself be able to assume different backgrounds, sort of like Hillary's "H", if that helps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I changed up the font to LHFfullblock because I wanted something more Texas-y, and the mismatched font wasn't doing me any favors. I also recolored the 'individual state' designs so different themes could be tailored to them (Democratic Party and Texas flag).

BETOnew.png

betotextemp7.png

betotextemp8.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know this is Texas, but the Democrats usually don't use this kind of "tough guy" font. On its own, this works great, but for a Democrat, I'd use a softer, friendlier font.

 

I completely understand if you don't want to, though. This is pretty good as is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Zeus89725 said:

I know this is Texas, but the Democrats usually don't use this kind of "tough guy" font. On its own, this works great, but for a Democrat, I'd use a softer, friendlier font.

 

I completely understand if you don't want to, though. This is pretty good as is.

Thanks for the suggestion. I sort of get what you're saying with Dems picking softer fonts, and colors, but I feel like LHFfullblock is in the same family as Clinton's "Stronger Together" logo and Obama's 2012 campaign logo. However, if you find a specific font that you think works better I am all ears.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, BuffaloJJ said:

Thanks for the suggestion. I sort of get what you're saying with Dems picking softer fonts, and colors, but I feel like LHFfullblock is in the same family as Clinton's "Stronger Together" logo and Obama's 2012 campaign logo. However, if you find a specific font that you think works better I am all ears.

 

My first thought is Circular Std. Might not work as well for your logo.

 

I like your logo as-is, because it works for Texas. Then again, I'm just a stupid Coloradoan.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ahoy there! My name is Tony and I am the designer responsible for the official campaign design for the Beto for Texas campaign (logo, site, pins, stickers, etc). I stumbled across this forum and loved that you went out of your way to create stuff like this! I wanted to encourage you and anyone else who supports Beto to keep up the efforts! This is good stuff!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On June 2, 2017 at 9:58 AM, tonycasas said:

Ahoy there! My name is Tony and I am the designer responsible for the official campaign design for the Beto for Texas campaign (logo, site, pins, stickers, etc). I stumbled across this forum and loved that you went out of your way to create stuff like this! I wanted to encourage you and anyone else who supports Beto to keep up the efforts! This is good stuff!

 

That means a lot, thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Seconnelly said:

Could you make a version that says "Beto for Texas"? I would love that!

Sure thing! 

 

BETOnew copy.png

betotextemp10.png

betotextemp11.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.