Seattle NBA Brand Discussion

orangefaniniowa

There is already a post called the "Seattle NHL Brand Discussion", so now I have decided to turn my attention to a possible NBA expansion franchise back to the Emerald City.  When and if the NBA returns to Seattle, what do you think their nickname should be?  As much as I like the Sonics nickname, I believe the city should retire that nickname just like Houston did to the Oilers nickname.  I believe they should start fresh with a new nickname and identity.  Here is a few that I can think of.

Emeralds- keep the original colors (maybe a lighter shade of green) and a little gold or silver as a secondary color.  Have their basketball logo look like an emerald diamond IMO.

Mountaineers- Might sound like a corny nickname for a new NBA team, but I think it fits wells especially with Mount Rainier in the background.  Have a brown color (could be the first NBA team to have brown as a color), and solid white, that is similar to the Cascade mountain range.  Maybe a touch of yellow or silver/gray as a third color alternate.

Flying or Fighting Fish-  good nickname that is named after the Pike Place Market in Seattle.  Use navy blue and silver as their colors, just like the Seahawks and Mariners already have. 

That is few I can think of on top of my head.  Probably those nicknames probably won't fly, and the NBA will likely keep the Sonics name for Seattle.  Any other suggestions would help.  Hopefully the city can finally get an arena deal done, and bring the NBA (and the NHL) back to Seattle.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Metropolitans!!!!

Sorry, wrong thread.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

We could go on and on about possible team names, but there is and will always will be one name for a Seattle NBA team: The SuperSonics (or however it is spelled). The NBA owns the right to the team name (I belive), fans will not except other names, and well, there is already a sour taste from when the original Sonics left for OKC. I just can't imagine a situation when a team in Seattle would be named something else.

IF there would ever be another team name, I think something coffee related would be cool, for example: Rush or Energy. Maybe even something like Tridents could be interesting.

spacer.png

Visit my website at SSmith Designs (google.com)

3 hours ago, orangefaniniowa said:

If the Seattle NHL franchise doesn't get the nickname, wouldn't be surprised the NBA does.  Another good nickname, but should fit only to hockey.

No, you don't understand ... there's no other option than the Supersonics. 

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

The biggest question is branding of the Sonics 2.0. Do you stick with yellow and gold or go with a palette closer to the Seahawks and Mariners (green color and navy blue)? 

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

Dude, Houston didn't retire the Oilers. The Titans' ownership just refused to give it up, so they had to get a new name. I'm willing to bet if Houston got the Browns treatment, we would've saw Oilers 2.0 come into the league back in 2002 instead of the Texans.

With that said it's my understanding that Seattle got the Browns treatment, so the only option is Suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuper Sonics!

Hotter Than July > Thriller

6 hours ago, orangefaniniowa said:

As much as I like the Sonics nickname, I believe the city should retire that nickname just like Houston did to the Oilers nickname.  I believe they should start fresh with a new nickname and identity.

Cuantos anos tienes my man.

Cuz as some one who lived through that I know it wasn't the city's call on the name. 

I'd bet it would've remained if the owner would've allowed.

2 hours ago, hawk36 said:

Supersonics.

Green and yellow.

Their last set was a great look but given what happened I'd never want to see that again. Update the Championship 70s-80s look but not like the 2007 update. 

fd4b114e79b68bd76e0102f7c5a2c63c.jpgkemp.jpg

I don't know if I'm in the minority but I hated the 2007 update,  I understand it was a refresh of the old look, but I just think the execution was poor.  The dazzle fabric ruined it for me as well.  Honestly, I don't think they ever should have changed the old look at all.  I think it was pretty unique and timeless and would still be a great look today.

7 hours ago, orangefaniniowa said:

There is already a post called the "Seattle NHL Brand Discussion", so now I have decided to turn my attention to a possible NBA expansion franchise back to the Emerald City.  When and if the NBA returns to Seattle, what do you think their nickname should be?  As much as I like the Sonics nickname, I believe the city should retire that nickname just like Houston did to the Oilers nickname.  I believe they should start fresh with a new nickname and identity.  Here is a few that I can think of.

Seattle Washingtonians. 

Puke.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Archived