Seattle NBA Brand Discussion

orangefaniniowa

Seattle Texans?

Wasn't there some deal where if Seattle got a team back within x years then OKC would hand them back the Sonics brand?  

I'm assuming that x is long passed, so would Sonics even be an option?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, orangefaniniowa said:

There is already a post called the "Seattle NHL Brand Discussion", so now I have decided to turn my attention to a possible NBA expansion franchise back to the Emerald City.  When and if the NBA returns to Seattle, what do you think their nickname should be?  As much as I like the Sonics nickname, I believe the city should retire that nickname just like Houston did to the Oilers nickname.  I believe they should start fresh with a new nickname and identity.  Here is a few that I can think of.

Emeralds- keep the original colors (maybe a lighter shade of green) and a little gold or silver as a secondary color.  Have their basketball logo look like an emerald diamond IMO.

Mountaineers- Might sound like a corny nickname for a new NBA team, but I think it fits wells especially with Mount Rainier in the background.  Have a brown color (could be the first NBA team to have brown as a color), and solid white, that is similar to the Cascade mountain range.  Maybe a touch of yellow or silver/gray as a third color alternate.

Flying or Fighting Fish-  good nickname that is named after the Pike Place Market in Seattle.  Use navy blue and silver as their colors, just like the Seahawks and Mariners already have. 

That is few I can think of on top of my head.  Probably those nicknames probably won't fly, and the NBA will likely keep the Sonics name for Seattle.  Any other suggestions would help.  Hopefully the city can finally get an arena deal done, and bring the NBA (and the NHL) back to Seattle.

I really like your Emeralds idea, but I agree with most of the other posters on this thread that any name besides SuperSonics wouldn't work.

3 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Seattle Texans?

Wasn't there some deal where if Seattle got a team back within x years then OKC would hand them back the Sonics brand?  

I'm assuming that x is long passed, so would Sonics even be an option?

I wanna say it was five years.  But given what was done to bring the Hornets name and identity back to Charlotte when NOLA was actually called the Hornets, I don't see Seattle getting a team and not getting the Sonics name and history, anyway.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

OKC doesn't even really honor the Sonics' history, so I'm sure if/when the NBA returns to Seattle they'll be able to get the name (and history) back, just like what happened with Charlotte. OKC has actually seemingly tried to distance themselves from anything having to do with their time in Seattle, with the most recent example being when they decided not to have the gold championship tab on the back of the uniforms.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

8 hours ago, upperV03 said:

OKC doesn't even really honor the Sonics' history, so I'm sure if/when the NBA returns to Seattle they'll be able to get the name (and history) back, just like what happened with Charlotte. OKC has actually seemingly tried to distance themselves from anything having to do with their time in Seattle, with the most recent example being when they decided not to have the gold championship tab on the back of the uniforms.

Just had this thought: What if one day the Thunder moved back to Seattle?

11 minutes ago, sayahh said:

I think they'd be welcome with open arms, if the ownership is favorable to the public.  Kind of an LA Rams thing.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

2 hours ago, WSU151 said:

I think they'd be welcome with open arms, if the ownership is favorable to the public.  Kind of an LA Rams thing.

Only way that will happened is that Clay Bennett sells the team to outside investors, but highly doubtful in the short term.  With no current NBA teams considering relocation, expansion is Seattle's hope.  But with competition with Louisville, Mexico City (head scratcher), Las Vegas, and with their current arena situation still unsettled it i NOT a "slam dunk" it could happen right away, if at all.

11 hours ago, sayahh said:

Now that Durant is gone and the Thunder are only going downhill, this will probably happen sooner rather than later.

Maybe one day the NBA will expand the way the NHL seems to be doing. The Thunder move back to Seattle and OKC can get a(nother) new team. Basically a Ravens/Browns equivalent.

Houston didn't retire the Oilers name. That ownership of that name is with the Titans. If It was available, we would have taken it. 

So, it would depend if the Thunder was open to it like how New Orleans was open to Charlotte's request. Or the Coyotes did for Winnipeg. 

Archived