Help Needed - Elk Logo

DTConcepts

Hey guys.

I was sketching out logos just for fun, because I really want to get better at that. I had a nice sketch, at least I thought I did, of an elk logo. That's below.

59015ac709da5_ElkLogoPaper.thumb.png.6ae477a8e3b540d7ff0c5129507a3794.png

I decided to put it onto my computer screen, hopefully on a jersey later. For whatever reason, it just feels off and not as good as the sketch is to me. That logo is below.

59015acd5753c_ElkLogo.thumb.png.43f32c2ed425da6447c715b0eadf8bdc.png

Obviously the coloring isn't done.

That seems to happen a lot. I sketch a great logo, and it looks like :censored: on a computer. Is there any way to make this look better, and do you have any tips for making logos on a computer? I'm using Paint.net, if that helps.

You think that looks bad? I think it looks pretty well-crafted, honestly. A bit rough but I'm sure you'll find ways to refine it.

Having never used Paint.net, does it work like Illustrator or Affinity Designer?

6 minutes ago, Utilis said:

You think that looks bad? I think it looks pretty well-crafted, honestly. A bit rough but I'm sure you'll find ways to refine it.

Having never used Paint.net, does it work like Illustrator or Affinity Designer?

It's hard for me to explain. In my limited use of Illustrator, you can set a line to have as many anchors as you want. In Paint.net, each line only gets four. It's a lot slower and can't handle super big files - either that or my computer sucks. Could be both.

It's a very limited program, but is really good for a free one. I've used it for everything I've made.

Do you have any tips for how I can refine it? Something looks off but I can't put my finger on it.

You've got some curves in the facial features that are present in the sketch, giving it a more realistic feel.. They are absent in the computer artwork, giving it a more geometric feel.. Smoothing and rounding those out better, as well as some minor proportion and shape issues with the ear and noise, and you've got something really solid

The curves and tight angles you have made with the antlers do not work well with the stroke function. The best thing you can do is take Fraser Davidson's Skill Share class online to learn better techniques for Illustrator. https://www.skillshare.com/classes/How-To-Design-Sports-Logos-Create-Your-Own-Team-Mascot/1492205793?via=user-profile Then practice a lot.

If you're looking for a free program with flexibility, may I recommend Inkscape? It has a bit of a learning curve but it has a great built-in tutorial.

That said, I think you've got a solid effort here, and am impressed that you created it with your software limitations. There's something off with the mouth/muzzle that I can't quite put my finger on.

rATMcmK.png

On 4/27/2017 at 0:34 AM, Whittier S said:

That said, I think you've got a solid effort here, and am impressed that you created it with your software limitations. There's something off with the mouth/muzzle that I can't quite put my finger on.

My issue exactly. I don't know what to fix.

Thanks for all the help guys, I appreciate it. I'm also in need of help with the shading. I don't have any versions saved, but everything I try looks bad.

I'm sure you do the same thing that I do with paint.net, I just add a layer over the top of that and then trace. The fun part with the half face is that you might have to export it to paint and flip it to match them up. I use Inkscape as well and love using it to finish my designs. 

5 hours ago, walkerws said:

I'm sure you do the same thing that I do with paint.net, I just add a layer over the top of that and then trace. The fun part with the half face is that you might have to export it to paint and flip it to match them up. I use Inkscape as well and love using it to finish my designs. 

That's what I did, I drew/copied half the logo, pasted it into another layer, and flipped it horizontally.

12 hours ago, Whittier S said:

It would seem a boxier muzzle, with pronounced nostrils/nose/mouth, will help.

Couldn't' figure out the nostrils, but added a boxy muzzle and mouth. When colored, the mouth would blend in with the chin below it, giving that feel of lighter colored fur.

5904d5b476049_ElkLogoJPG.thumb.jpg.7f6e08c13befab2a690f0e82c2023812.jpg

Also, sorry for the poor quality. For some reason it wouldn't let me upload the .png version, and I had to make it a .jpg.

Peoples process on things is very different. For me, I try to get the logo as closely as I can to what I want the final to look like in sketch form. This means the outlines of shapes are pretty close to how I want them. I think your sketch is far more compelling than the digital version. 

I would say go back to that sketch you have, trace it or even start over if you have to and really get most of the detail you want. Making sure your outlines of shapes are even and getting nice crisp curves or angles. 

Very good start, obviously if that doesn't work for you there are other options. Just another quick note, sports logos I feel look much better with more bold shapes and less fine lines. So any line or shape that is coming off of something by a centimeter, try and find a way to make it match up or flow into the next shape better, in this case, the antlers meeting the head. There's a sharp indent that I feel could be taken care of.

Can't wait to see this build further!

Archived