smzimbabwe

Where's the $3?

I assume the NFL wrote a check to the USFL for $3. Does it still exist, and if so, who has it? Or did they cash it and split the $3 however many ways?

The check does exist.  I believe the check sits in someone's safe, as they wanted to keep that token of "We defeated the NFL".

1 hour ago, HedleyLamarr said:

The check does exist.  I believe the check sits in someone's safe, as they wanted to keep that token of "We defeated the NFL".

Didn't they show the actual check in the "Small Potatoes" 30 for 30? 

18 minutes ago, infrared41 said:

Yep.

20 minutes ago, infrared41 said:

Yep.

So the article says the check resides in Memphis.  I'll be in Memphis soon.  Wonder if I can go see that check while we have some down time?

I think it was for $3.27.............the interest really added up

For some reason I thought it was one dollar.

16 minutes ago, OnWis97 said:

For some reason I thought it was one dollar.

Rewards get tripled in federal cases, I think the article said.

The USFL won the case, but the NFL was able to sway the jury/judge in regards to "These USFL guys aren't really hurting for money" when it came time to monetary punishment.

The neediness of the plaintiffs doesn't have a whole lot to do with monetary judgments.  

If I remember/understand correctly, the judgment was so low because while the jury found that the NFL had acted in a monopolistic manner, they also found that the USFL wasn't actually harmed by those actions, and had done far more damage to themselves through mismanagement than as a result of anything the NFL had done.

So yes.  One dollar in damages, tripled to three for the antitrust violation, with seventy-six cents added as interest accrued during the USFL's unsuccessful appeals. 

how-donald-trump-is-to-blame-for-the-che

Edit: just read that Vice article, and the author completely misses the point of the trial. He buys and repeats Trump's explanation for the damage amount.   Not their best work. 

The bigger mystery..... Where is the ORIGINAL Super Bowl V trophy? The Rosenbloom's owned the Colts then. Years later, there was a trade and the Rosenbloom's took over the Rams, and the Irsay's took over the Colts. The Colts bolted to Indianapolis. Did Rosenbloom take the trophy to LA? Did the Irsay's take it to Indy? I know the city of Baltimore ended up with a replacement, but it's not the original. 

Is that actually a mystery?  Why wouldn't the Colts have it?

Yeah, I have to imagine it's sitting in Jim Irsay's office at Colts HQs, surrounded amongst the coke dust.

11 hours ago, jc... said:

The bigger mystery..... Where is the ORIGINAL Super Bowl V trophy? The Rosenbloom's owned the Colts then. Years later, there was a trade and the Rosenbloom's took over the Rams, and the Irsay's took over the Colts. The Colts bolted to Indianapolis. Did Rosenbloom take the trophy to LA? Did the Irsay's take it to Indy? I know the city of Baltimore ended up with a replacement, but it's not the original. 

I'd recommend checking Chip Rosenbloom's closet.

Carroll Rosenbloom kept the original trophy after the swap.  The replacement was originally acquired by the Irsays.