Was this an official secondary logo for the Twins in the 1970's?

matthew516

1 hour ago, OnWis97 said:

I have a nostalgic affinity for them but I don't think I'd actually want to have them back either.  I remember hearing that the AL teams on the walls at the Metrodome were sorted to match the standings, which I thought was pretty cool.  But it just seems very 70s/80s to do this.  The logos tended to be on big white backgrounds that stuck out more than you'd prefer on a blue or green wall.  All else equal, I want to say that logos are better than advertisements.  Ironically, though, as much as I hate advertisements creeping into my sports, they are, in a sense, more tastefully* done than the 1980s logos were.  Those logos kind of just seem like they belong in places like the Metrodome or the NL cookie cutters (or adjacent to artificial turf).  The "retro-ish" feel of new ballparks is not conducive to big white squares with team logos sticking out like sore thumbs.  Could the logos be done a little less loudly?  Maybe but I just kinda think the time for this has passed.  An added issue is that the NL and AL are not nearly as separate as they were in those days and just putting logos up for half of MLB would be weird.  But so would putting 30 logos up.  

I think the way to go is the Cubs way of using the flags as standings.  I think Target Field does that (or is this a Mandela effect?).  I also think both teams do so only in their respective leagues and that's OK for something this subtle.

*The whole idea of advertisements being more tasteful than baseball logos on a baseball park wall seems so preposterous that I felt weird saying it.  

It's interesting that you say this.  I'm almost positive that the first "modern" stadium with ads in fair territory was Camden Yards . . . the first retro park.

Some of the ads were even meant to look sort of retro, like the Budweiser and Coke ads on the scoreboard and the Maryland Lottery "Hit It Here" sign (that I couldn't find anywhere), which was (presumably) meant to evoke the Abe Stark sign at Ebbets Field.

Camden_1280_73pw83z3_zyyufaq8.jpgebbets_scoreboard.jpg

As for flags, the Orioles used to display flags in the order of the standings around the outside edge of Memorial Stadium.  You wouldn't notice them if you weren't in the stadium  Now, the flags on the RF flag court are in the order of the standings.  However, they almost always seem to be hanging against the poles and can't be read.

oriole-park-at-camden-yards-flag-court.jCamden-Yards-Flag-Court.jpg

The flag court wasn't designed as a standing room area (see first night game picture below).  However, it is now a very popular hangout during games.

DSC_0395.jpg?ixlib=rb-1.1.0&w=880&h=906&

And . . . I still can't help with the Twins logo from the original post.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

3 hours ago, leopard88 said:

It's interesting that you say this.  I'm almost positive that the first "modern" stadium with ads in fair territory was Camden Yards . . . the first retro park.

Some of the ads were even meant to look sort of retro, like the Budweiser and Coke ads on the scoreboard...

As a young kid just starting to follow baseball, I remember seeing those Coke and Bud ads and thinking how lame it was they open a new park and have this old time feel. Now I really appreciate what they were going for. While we're on it, your picture below has one of my favorite aspects of Cameden Yards, is the little old-timey curly do-dads (yes, that's the technical term) in the corners of all the field signage. I think it's a great touch that add that old time feel and makes all ads uniform, which I really like.

Totally unrelated, but as someone who has worked in ticketing, I have to image that little pie slice of seats are obstructed. I can't imagine you can get a good view of home plate from the first six rows or so.

Finally, I have nothing as far as that Twins logo goes. #camdenjacked

3 hours ago, leopard88 said:

oriole-park-at-camden-yards-flag-court.j

SEAsig.png

45 minutes ago, benpc21 said:

As a young kid just starting to follow baseball, I remember seeing those Coke and Bud ads and thinking how lame it was they open a new park and have this old time feel. Now I really appreciate what they were going for. While we're on it, your picture below has one of my favorite aspects of Cameden Yards, is the little old-timey curly do-dads (yes, that's the technical term) in the corners of all the field signage. I think it's a great touch that add that old time feel and makes all ads uniform, which I really like.

Totally unrelated, but as someone who has worked in ticketing, I have to image that little pie slice of seats are obstructed. I can't imagine you can get a good view of home plate from the first six rows or so.

Finally, I have nothing as far as that Twins logo goes. #camdenjacked

That's funny (in the ironic sense).  I've always noticed the old-timey curly do-dads, but I've never given them any thought.  Now that you point it out, that is an interesting little touch.

As for the seats, you're right.  The first few tows probably force you to look through/around the foul pole.  I've never sat out there, so I'm not sure.

Still nothing on the Twins logo.  #camdenjacked.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Okay. Here's a try at getting this thread un-jacked.

Image result for arlington stadium photo outfieldRelated image

These appear to be shots of the contemporaneous Arlington Stadium outfield (though maybe a little earlier than when that picture of Fergie was taken). You can see the same Twins logo (partially obscured), the Angels "A" cap logo, the White Sox "sox guy" partial, the Royals R-and-crown partial, (something unrecognizable), the Orioles bird-and-cap cap logo, the Red Sox full logo c. 1965, the Indians mid-70s partial, (something unrecognizable).

I guess this really gets us nowhere. Sorry.

I do think that the Twins might easily have used something like this and would probably buy a t-shirt with this logo.

"Jesus is for Losers" - Steve Taylor

Observations from the above:

• I think I can see that light blue state shape for the Twins...
  • The top photo appears to be AL West Teams (at the time) so that unrecognizable one is the Mariners (if around yet), A's or the Rangers.  But who cares?
  • The bottom photo appears to be the East, so it's the Blue Jays (if around yet), Yankees, Brewers,or Tigers.  I almost want to say it could be a cartoonish Tigers logo, but who the heck knows...maybe it's just the BiG.  Seeing Baltimore, Boston, and Cleveland makes me think they could be alphabetical, but that does not match with the Twins placement on the next photo.
  • Consulting the Mother Ship, this is probably between 1976 and 1978 (based on primary logo overlap between the White Sox and Indians), though it's not inconceivable, they'd let the Indians logo linger past it's time as primary.
  • Of all the logos we've had a decent look at, the Twins is the only one that is not a primary (or part of a primary) or a cap logo, I think.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

1 hour ago, matthew516 said:

Okay. Here's a try at getting this thread un-jacked.

Image result for arlington stadium photo outfieldRelated image

These appear to be shots of the contemporaneous Arlington Stadium outfield (though maybe a little earlier than when that picture of Fergie was taken). You can see the same Twins logo (partially obscured), the Angels "A" cap logo, the White Sox "sox guy" partial, the Royals R-and-crown partial, (something unrecognizable), the Orioles bird-and-cap cap logo, the Red Sox full logo c. 1965, the Indians mid-70s partial, (something unrecognizable).

I guess this really gets us nowhere. Sorry.

I do think that the Twins might easily have used something like this and would probably buy a t-shirt with this logo.

I've seen lots of variations of the Orioles cartoon bird, but I don't think I've seen that one.  It is pretty bad.

To re-Texjack the thread, the outfield wall matches the wall in the picture of the Rangers wearing the powder blue jersey with white pants (see the orange stripe on the top of the wall). It looks like that combo was worn at home on at least one occasion.

Archived