2017 NFL Season week by week uniform match-up combos: From HOF Game to Super Bowl LII

canzman

56 minutes ago, canzman said:

While true that the teams submit their uniform schedule way in advance we really do not know how quickly the league office is at reviewing the submission and deciding if any designated Color Rush games have any contrast issues.

Schedule could have been submitted back in early July and the League then doesn't bother to review it until after the schedule has already been provided to those "in the know".

My guess is this is what happened here. Schedules were provided and then after the fact they decided, "Well that week 5 match-up isn't a good one. Make the Pats go all white and see if they want to wear their normal Color Rush some other week."

Yeah- again all true BUT this is so unique because they also had to make a new color rush white uniform for the patriots.  They had to make the white pants.   So a lot happened very quickly.  If there is a contrast then they decide that in advance... for example in weeks 13 14 and 15 three teams are wearing color rush uniforms basically for the reasons you said above.   They can't wear it one week so they wear it another.  But the patriots week 7 is NOT one of these times which seems minor to just say instead of normal navy we will wear color rush navy, but trust me it's very very surprising to make that change so late in the game. 

It's one thing to tell the Jets never mind you are going to wear all white-- they already have that combo.   But at some point within the last few weeks, the NFL decided that the navy wasn't enough contrast and ordered Nike to design and produce white pants for the patriots.   We know they made this decision in the last few weeks because it was made after the uniform schedule was made.   Trust me this is REALLY hard to change once it's made there are so many logistics that go into it... tv graphics, marketing, etc etc.     they don't change the schedule.    

What's surprising to me is they made the decision late and how quick a turnaround they were able to make it.  

goforbroke_zpsb07ade0a.jpg

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, goforbroke said:

Yeah- again all true BUT this is so unique because they also had to make a new color rush white uniform for the patriots.  They had to make the white pants.   So a lot happened very quickly.  If there is a contrast then they decide that in advance... for example in weeks 13 14 and 15 three teams are wearing color rush uniforms basically for the reasons you said above.   They can't wear it one week so they wear it another.  But the patriots week 7 is NOT one of these times which seems minor to just say instead of normal navy we will wear color rush navy, but trust me it's very very surprising to make that change so late in the game. 

It's one thing to tell the Jets never mind you are going to wear all white-- they already have that combo.   But at some point within the last few weeks, the NFL decided that the navy wasn't enough contrast and ordered Nike to design and produce white pants for the patriots.   We know they made this decision in the last few weeks because it was made after the uniform schedule was made.   Trust me this is REALLY hard to change once it's made there are so many logistics that go into it... tv graphics, marketing, etc etc.     they don't change the schedule.    

What's surprising to me is they made the decision late and how quick a turnaround they were able to make it.  

It is still color rush though. Be it their normal or the all white options so the marketing for this game would not change.

Just b/c we find out about it right now doesn't mean that those white pants haven't been made since the introduction of Color Rush and they are just something we didn't know about until now when they were needed. Or that this decision was made weeks ago but again after the uniform schedule was sent out.

This Article I read hints that all teams have some all white variant on file somewhere... Here is the quote for the article.

"Color Rush Conflicts

Every NFL team had Color Rush uniforms for last season, but not all of them wore them, including the Cardinals.

Arizona played at San Francisco on Oct. 6, but didn't wear their uniform because it was too similar to the 49ers' Color Rush uniform.

The Cardinals were one of nine teams that didn't wear their Color Rush Uniforms for a game in 2016.

The Cardinals-49ers conflict  was one of three “color conflict” situations in 2016 (Texans didn't wear Color Rush uniform at Patriots, Falcons didn't wear theirs at Bucs for same reason).

Three other teams did not wear their Color Rush uniforms in 2016 because they presented difficulty for TV viewers to distinguish (Jets could not wear at Bills, Browns could not wear at Ravens, Rams could not wear at Seahawks for this reason).

When there was a conflict between Color Rush uniforms like those above, the visiting team was asked to adjust.

Teams not wearing their Color Rush uniform for the reasons above have the option of wearing an existing uniform (which the Cardinals did with their normal road white on white) or a different/special all-white Nike uniform."

The Bucs' red color rush would appear more of a mustardy green to most colorblind folks, and not all that dark. Surprising if this is league-mandated for that reason. I'd understand it if it was more of a burgundy/maroon red. I wonder if the Pats wanted to wear their Color Rush at home?

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

5 minutes ago, Digby said:

The Bucs' red color rush would appear more of a mustardy green to most colorblind folks, and not all that dark. Surprising if this is league-mandated for that reason. I'd understand it if it was more of a burgundy/maroon red. I wonder if the Pats wanted to wear their Color Rush at home?

Not all color blind people see things the same way. I have a degree of color blindness myself and the Bucs uniforms do not appear mustardy green to me at all.

Not all shades but certain shades of red, green and brown are hard for me to distinguish but to say that red has ever looked mustardy green is not true for me.

It may be true for others but a blanket statement like that is just inaccurate as it is impossible for any person to know what something else looks like through another's eyes.

1 minute ago, canzman said:

Not all color blind people see things the same way. I have a degree of color blindness myself and the Bucs uniforms do not appear mustardy green to me at all.

Not all shades but certain shades of red, green and brown are hard for me to distinguish but to say that red has ever looked mustardy green is not true for me.

It may be true for others but a blanket statement like that is just inaccurate as it is impossible for any person to know what something else looks like through another's eyes.

Right, apologies if it came across as I was speaking for everyone, "most colorblind folks" is probably not the right way to put it. More accurately, deuteranopia is the most common type of colorblindness and in my experience, it's rare for bright red vs. navy to pose a problem. I am not sure about other types, though.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

2 hours ago, canzman said:

It is still color rush though. Be it their normal or the all white options so the marketing for this game would not change.

Just b/c we find out about it right now doesn't mean that those white pants haven't been made since the introduction of Color Rush and they are just something we didn't know about until now when they were needed. Or that this decision was made weeks ago but again after the uniform schedule was sent out.

This Article I read hints that all teams have some all white variant on file somewhere... Here is the quote for the article.

"Color Rush Conflicts

Every NFL team had Color Rush uniforms for last season, but not all of them wore them, including the Cardinals.

Arizona played at San Francisco on Oct. 6, but didn't wear their uniform because it was too similar to the 49ers' Color Rush uniform.

The Cardinals were one of nine teams that didn't wear their Color Rush Uniforms for a game in 2016.

The Cardinals-49ers conflict  was one of three “color conflict” situations in 2016 (Texans didn't wear Color Rush uniform at Patriots, Falcons didn't wear theirs at Bucs for same reason).

Three other teams did not wear their Color Rush uniforms in 2016 because they presented difficulty for TV viewers to distinguish (Jets could not wear at Bills, Browns could not wear at Ravens, Rams could not wear at Seahawks for this reason).

When there was a conflict between Color Rush uniforms like those above, the visiting team was asked to adjust.

Teams not wearing their Color Rush uniform for the reasons above have the option of wearing an existing uniform (which the Cardinals did with their normal road white on white) or a different/special all-white Nike uniform."

Your not following me dude.  I'm trying to give you some insight into how it all works. Forget the articles.  I'm telling you this was a very late decision. And considering how many moving parts are involved with uniform making and scheduling it's very surprising to me.  If it's not surprising to you then I'm not explaining why it's surprising correctly because trust me as minor as this seems it's a very very big deal to make a uniform schedule change this late in the game.     

Again it's not so much the Week 5 change , it's the week 7 change that is the real surprise here.  The week 5 change yes you can't say for sure when it was decided to wear white.  The clue that it was decided very recently is that they are wearing all navy week 7. Which basically says that they had planned to wear all navy week 5 but suddenly can't, which also leads me to think the week 5 decision came very late as well. 

Again-- on the front end it probably doesn't seem like a big deal..  but there is a reason- several actually and very good ones - that the uniform schedule is planned so far in advance.  You really don't see it changed ever. 

1 minute ago, goforbroke said:

Your not following me dude.  I'm trying to give you some insight into how it all works. Forget the articles.  I'm telling you this was a very late decision. And considering how many moving parts are involved with uniform making and scheduling it's very surprising to me.  If it's not surprising to you then I'm not explaining why it's surprising correctly because trust me as minor as this seems it's a very very big deal to make a uniform schedule change this late in the game.     

I do get what you are saying but you aren't following me... Explain the article which was published back in July stating in the case of conflict that teams have the option of wearing "an existing uniform" or a "different/special all-white Nike uniform".

That right there leads one to believe that the teams that don't have a white pant option by default must have had one designed even if people outside Nike/NFL aren't aware.

Just now, canzman said:

I do get what you are saying but you aren't following me... Explain the article which was published back in July stating in the case of conflict that teams have the option of wearing "an existing uniform" or a "different/special all-white Nike uniform".

That right there leads one to believe that the teams that don't have a white pant option by default must have had one designed even if people outside Nike/NFL aren't aware.

The answer is the Packers Cowboys and the Giants (and now the Patriots).   Everyone needs to wear color over color or white over white.  

Theres nothing wrong with the article. If you don't have an all white uniform Nike will make you an all white uniform - which they did with the Packers Cowboys Giants and now Patriots.   None of that is wrong or surprising.      The Surprising part is all of these were decided way in advance. The NFL schedule came out in April.  The uniform schedule was finalized during training camp.  At some point very recently they decided to make a change for Week 7 and probably Week 5 as well.   

If you are suggesting all teams have an all-white uniform option waiting in the wings in case they ever need it then NO that is 100% not accurate.  They are only designed if they need it which is why this Patriots change was impressively expedited.  

Just now, canzman said:

The answer is the Packers Cowboys and the Giants (and now the Patriots).   Everyone needs to wear color over color or white over white.  

Theres nothing wrong with the article. If you don't have an all white uniform Nike will make you an all white uniform - which they did with the Packers Cowboys Giants and now Patriots.   None of that is wrong or surprising.      The Surprising part is all of these were decided way in advance. The NFL schedule came out in April.  The uniform schedule was finalized during training camp.  At some point very recently they decided to make a change for Week 7 and probably Week 5 as well.   

If you are suggesting all teams have an all-white uniform option waiting in the wings in case they ever need it then NO that is 100% not accurate.  They are only designed if they need it which is why this Patriots change was impressively expedited.  

1 hour ago, goforbroke said:

The Packers, Raiders, Bengals, Cowboys, Giants and Saints all opted for all white color rush uniforms from the start.

Currently those are their default Color Rush options.

Using them as an example here isn't a good argument. What I am stating is that teams that don't have an all white option by default or did not elect to use all white as their default color rush had white pants created event if we are not aware.

What I am stating is teams that don't have white pants in their default uniform sets or already part of their normal color rush (Patriots, Steelers, Redskins, 49ers, & Lions) all have white pants designs at Nike already for this exact situation.

What will actually be interesting to see is if any of those teams that don't have matching pants to a color jersey (Packers, Cowboys, Raiders, Giants) have had a matching colored pant created in the case of a match-up against another all white color rush. Guess we will see when the Cowboys and Giants play this year since the Giants are going with their all white color rush.

1 hour ago, canzman said:

The Packers, Raiders, Bengals, Cowboys, Giants and Saints all opted for all white color rush uniforms from the start.

Currently those are their default Color Rush options.

Using them as an example here isn't a good argument. What I am stating is that teams that don't have an all white option by default or did not elect to use all white as their default color rush had white pants created event if we are not aware.

What I am stating is teams that don't have white pants in their default uniform sets or already part of their normal color rush (Patriots, Steelers, Redskins, 49ers, & Lions) all have white pants designs at Nike already for this exact situation.

What will actually be interesting to see is if any of those teams that don't have matching pants to a color jersey (Packers, Cowboys, Raiders, Giants) have had a matching colored pant created in the case of a match-up against another all white color rush. Guess we will see when the Cowboys and Giants play this year since the Giants are going with their all white color rush.

But that not true though.  The redskins don't have white pants waiting for them in in a wearhouse somewhere in case they need it next week.   You are basing that off one sentence in an article but that's not what it says.  What it means is Nike would design them white over white IF they ever need it (Packers) .. it would be designed in the offseason when the NFL schedule comes out and they start putting together the uniform schedule. It's all planned WAYYYYY ahead of time what the matchups are and if there are any contrast conflicts etc etc etc.   

Cowboys will be wearing navy over silver in a week 14.  The Giants 100% do NOT have a blue pants option waiting for them.  

IF next year in April a Giants vs Packers game is scheduled for Thursday night then they will cross that bridge at the time and at that time they will decide on 1 of 2 options:

1) Packers or Giants will get a color over color uniform (probably the Packers)

2) one team will wear their white over white color rush uniforms and the other will wear their normal color jerseys and whatever pants combo and basically be excused from color rush that week. 

The whole point of what I am saying is this was a very late decision.  

I think what you are saying is:

1) that the Patriots - in fact all teams - had white pants all along just in case. 

2) that it's not that surprising to see a uniform change only 3 weeks in advance. 

both of these things are categorically 100% false.  There are no secret white pants and it is very very rare to see a uniform designation change at this point in the season. The deadlines are in place for many many reasons. 

46 minutes ago, goforbroke said:

But that not true though.  The redskins don't have white pants waiting for them in in a wearhouse somewhere in case they need it next week.   You are basing that off one sentence in an article but that's not what it says.  What it means is Nike would design them white over white IF they ever need it (Packers) .. it would be designed in the offseason when the NFL schedule comes out and they start putting together the uniform schedule. It's all planned WAYYYYY ahead of time what the matchups are and if there are any contrast conflicts etc etc etc.   

Cowboys will be wearing navy over silver in a week 14.  The Giants 100% do NOT have a blue pants option waiting for them.  

IF next year in April a Giants vs Packers game is scheduled for Thursday night then they will cross that bridge at the time and at that time they will decide on 1 of 2 options:

1) Packers or Giants will get a color over color uniform (probably the Packers)

2) one team will wear their white over white color rush uniforms and the other will wear their normal color jerseys and whatever pants combo and basically be excused from color rush that week. 

The whole point of what I am saying is this was a very late decision.  

I think what you are saying is:

1) that the Patriots - in fact all teams - had white pants all along just in case. 

2) that it's not that surprising to see a uniform change only 3 weeks in advance. 

both of these things are categorically 100% false.  There are no secret white pants and it is very very rare to see a uniform designation change at this point in the season. The deadlines are in place for many many reasons. 

You are making it sound like all 32 teams would have need to have something in the works in case of conflict. This is not the case.

Not all teams needed a white pant designed is my point... there are only the 5 teams in the league don't have a white over white option in either their normal set or standard color rush (Patriots, Steelers, Redskins, Lions, and 49ers) that needed a white pant  created.

What I am suggesting is that Nike has had something just for those 5 teams for an all white option since color rush started just in case even if it was unknown to those outside the NFL or Nike.

The 27 other teams have an all white option either if their normal set or color rush in case they need to go all white.

The Packers didn't have to have the white pant created due to conflict they elected for white over white to be their default color rush uniform from the start. As did the Cowboys, Raiders, Bengals, Giants and Saints. Those were designed when all other color rush uniforms were designed and weren't done after the schedule was announced in the off-season. 

Uniform designs of any kind are a 2 year process minimum. They don't wait until the schedule is announced to makes designs is my point and why I feel those 5 teams even if unknown to outsiders had a white pant design on file since Color Rush was announced 2.5 years ago.

My second point was that there was there 4 teams (Packers, Cowboys, Raiders, Giants) that don't have a mono-colored option in either their color rush or normal sets, and I was curious as to what the league would do in the case of any of these teams meeting in a color rush situation as will happen with the Giants and the Cowboys this year. Wasn't stating those options actually existed... was just stating that I was curious if there was something we didn't know about.

33 minutes ago, canzman said:

You are making it sound like all 32 teams would have need to have something in the works in case of conflict. This is not the case.

Not all teams needed a white pant designed is my point... there are only the 5 teams in the league don't have a white over white option in either their normal set or standard color rush (Patriots, Steelers, Redskins, Lions, and 49ers) that needed a white pant  created.

What I am suggesting is that Nike has had something just for those 5 teams for an all white option since color rush started just in case even if it was unknown to those outside the NFL or Nike.

The 27 other teams have an all white option either if their normal set or color rush in case they need to go all white.

My second point was that there was there 4 teams (Packers, Cowboys, Raiders, Giants) that don't have a mono-colored option in either their color rush or normal sets, and I was curious as to what the league would do in the case of any of these teams meeting in a color rush situation as will happen with the Giants and the Cowboys this year. Wasn't stating those options actually existed... was just stating that I was curious if there was something we didn't know about.

Well the answer is they do not. The Giants - as one example - did not have an all white option available to them.  Nike proposed a red color rush uniform which was immediately rejected.  Then they proposed a blue one which they were considering but ultimately rejected. Finally the Giants themselves told Nike they wanted to wear more or less a throwback uniform with some color tone modifications and white socks.   That's how they ended up with a white color rush uniform.   

The answer is no-- Nike and the teams will design white uniforms TOGETHER if they are needed and they should be known to be needed months before the season begins.  They don't have them waiting in the wings in case of a late uniform designation change because late uniform designation changes do not happen. 

It did happen this week, and Nike and the Patriots designed a white pant uniform to wear very late in the game.  Which is why the whole thing is very surprising.   

5 hours ago, goforbroke said:

Well the answer is they do not. The Giants - as one example - did not have an all white option available to them.  Nike proposed a red color rush uniform which was immediately rejected.  Then they proposed a blue one which they were considering but ultimately rejected. Finally the Giants themselves told Nike they wanted to wear more or less a throwback uniform with some color tone modifications and white socks.   That's how they ended up with a white color rush uniform.   

The answer is no-- Nike and the teams will design white uniforms TOGETHER if they are needed and they should be known to be needed months before the season begins.  They don't have them waiting in the wings in case of a late uniform designation change because late uniform designation changes do not happen. 

It did happen this week, and Nike and the Patriots designed a white pant uniform to wear very late in the game.  Which is why the whole thing is very surprising.   

The Giants do have all white... that is what the default color rush is. Also if they really had to they can use their normal away jersey and current white home pants for an all white look.

The only teams that didn't have all white from either their default combinations or color rush are Patriots, 49ers, Lions, Redskins and Steelers. An entire uniform isn't needed just white pants  for those teams if a conflict is decided on.

The Patriots are now officially off that list as the white pants has been released.

I find it hard to believe that the league and Nike doesn't have a pant design for those remaining 4 teams. It would seem to make the most sense instead of having to scramble.

Every other team in the league have white jerseys and white pants in either their normal set or color rush already.

This is a case of the NFL and Nike designing 5 extra pants just in case an all white option was needed for those teams after their actual color rush uniforms were designed.

Why would you not plan for this as color rush is something the NFL plans on doing for the foreseeable future and not knowing what the schedule might be for years to come and then having the come up with something on the fly in a matter of a few months seems like more of a hassle then having come up with these options with the teams at the time the default color rush was designed.

1 minute ago, Old School Fool said:

I just hope the Raiders wear all black for their TNF home game against the Chiefs. While I love the all white getup, it would be really weird to do it in a place called The Black Hole.

Aside from teams that need to go all white instead of their normal color rush there are no new color rush uniforms aside the Lions who got totally new uniforms all the way around this year.

So the Raiders will be in all white.

13 hours ago, canzman said:

The Giants do have all white... that is what the default color rush is. Also if they really had to they can use their normal away jersey and current white home pants for an all white look.

The only teams that didn't have all white from either their default combinations or color rush are Patriots, 49ers, Lions, Redskins and Steelers. An entire uniform isn't needed just white pants  for those teams if a conflict is decided on.

The Patriots are now officially off that list as the white pants has been released.

I find it hard to believe that the league and Nike doesn't have a pant design for those remaining 4 teams. It would seem to make the most sense instead of having to scramble.

Every other team in the league have white jerseys and white pants in either their normal set or color rush already.

This is a case of the NFL and Nike designing 5 extra pants just in case an all white option was needed for those teams after their actual color rush uniforms were designed.

Why would you not plan for this as color rush is something the NFL plans on doing for the foreseeable future and not knowing what the schedule might be for years to come and then having the come up with something on the fly in a matter of a few months seems like more of a hassle then having come up with these options with the teams at the time the default color rush was designed.

I'm telling you that's the not process.  Let's just move on. 

Archived