Logos that Sell the Sport rather than the Nickname

Pharos04

1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

True enough, but I'm of the opinion that they should have rebranded when they moved from New Jersey.  The uniform overhaul was excellent, hampered only by holding on to the dumb name. 

I say the exact opposite: it's good that they held on to the name; and they should have kept their previous uniforms, which had beautifully worked the net into the design.

kidd-and-martin-2.jpg.85aa935ee31c35241c0a24501065414f.jpg

Their current uniforms are a downgrade in every conceivable way from this gorgeous set, the one which lasted the longest of any look in team history, and the one in which the team reached its high point as an NBA team.

I was satisfied with the Nets' current look right after it was announced because I was fearing something garish, and also because the primary shield logo had some continuity with the previous mark.  But over time I have become thoroughly disenchanted with the current uniforms and their utter lack of style and charm, the lack of the team name, and those ridiculous thin numbers. (The Nets are the only team whose summer league jerseys are better than their regular jerseys.

ferrell071116.jpg.8b35374f17133d89b0a32327743fc89e.jpg

Not that this one has the team name, either.)

The final insult is that they don't even really use the only halfway-decent logo they have, their primary; instead, they use a secondary logo, the ball, in inappropriate places such as centre court.

I am so down on this team right now, more than I have ever been. And it's all because of the uniforms. I notice the difference when I see the team in the alts that show the name on the uniform that resembles the style they wore from the Dr. J days through to the late 1980s (with the exception of a couple of years under Larry Brown).  It is only in those moments that I feel a spark of connection.  

By the way, I love @leopard88's suggestion of a logo featuring a metal chain net.  That is yet another lost opportunity for this aesthetically lost team.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Gothamite said:

True enough, but I'm of the opinion that they should have rebranded when they moved from New Jersey.  The uniform overhaul was excellent, hampered only by holding on to the dumb name. 

I wanted them to simply be Brooklyn. 

11 hours ago, TorontoFan0906 said:

If you look at the NBA page, 20 out of 30 logos feature a ball, while in the NHL only 4 contain a puck. 

That's mainly because the NBA has a rule that one official logo must contain a basketball.. A lot of teams just work it into the primary with the full team name and get it all taken care of in one fell swoop 

They should have run with Brooklyn Knights. It's a cool name, flows nicely, and it might have thrown one more wrench into the Vegas Golden Knights' branding plans :D 

Anyway I think it's very telling that the Nets finally adopted a logo that included a basketball rim...but forgot the net. Well played. There hasn't been a team this adverse to representing their nickname since the Cleveland Browns. 

With the exception of the browns, I hate it when NFL teams used helmets as logos. It is almost as though the logo designer was just sick one day so, they made a temporary logo that they never bothered to change

gzf9qxmxpfcsohcrhxb1ncxi4.gif3108.gif

re: The Nets

I think it was great that they branded as Brooklyn.  I initially hoped they would adopt a uniform reminiscent of the Dodgers, but I love their minimalistic black and white look.

As a kid growing up in the early '70's, I thought it was cool that NYC had the Mets, the Jets, the Sets and the Nets.  When I think of the Nets, I recall a struggling ABA league with a star named "Dr. J" playing in New York.  I believe the nickname Nets is worthy of being preserved.

"Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." Dennis Miller

3 minutes ago, Rj0498 said:

With the exception of the browns, I hate it when NFL teams used helmets as logos. It is almost as though the logo designer was just sick one day so, they made a temporary logo that they never bothered to change

gzf9qxmxpfcsohcrhxb1ncxi4.gif3108.gif

And it's not like these two teams don't have something good to work with.

On an added note, that navy Chargers helmet looks so much better than the current white one.  The white helmet looks great with the powder blues, but it looks like a plain white helmet with a navy jersey.  But that's just my opinion. :)

"Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." Dennis Miller

this is one of my biggest pet peeves. i actually have a list of "things not to do in logo design" and #1 is using sporting equipment in logos. it's really rare that its pulled off well. i do like the Magic logo though, but i think its because there is an idea bigger than just the ball/sport. there's a clear depiction of something magical going on here

orlando_magic.png.aa040d0b0fdfcdb2bcc8065d5c9b7a67.png

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

1553.gif7frsqah8wf3whkikgo4n.gifajfeh4oqeealq37er15r3673h.gifqiru2jftx1a378eq8ad0s4ik4.gif

had a few more pop into my head.  Like, what is Tampa even thinking?  And the Rangers should bring back some variant of their Star logo they had for a while

Texas Rangers (1994 - 2002)

On 5/6/2017 at 2:10 PM, Gothamite said:

As far as the uniforms go, they are. 

Yes, except for our superior stretch and pride jerseys (the Stars and Stripes set). Best jerseys by far in our set. I hope eventually they will become the primary set and the current primary  turns into an alternate set. 

One can dream...

On 5/5/2017 at 2:45 PM, WavePunter said:

at the time this logo was current (and up until recently), the Padres' colors were essentially Navy and Sand (yes, white and sky blue were included, but mainly just for the primary logo).. 

NAVY and SAND is basically DARK BLUE and LIGHT BROWN

about half of the recent Padres concepts have utilized a Dark Brown and Light Blue color scheme..

there HAS to be a connection there.. likely subconscious.. but viewing the Navy & Sand as a form of Blue & Brown makes the transition seem more logical..

This reminds me of something I realized with the Milwaukee Brewers once. They originally were royal blue and yellow and then now, at least in their primary logos and uniforms, are navy blue and gold. It's as if the royal and yellow grew, matured, and evolved into navy blue and metallic gold. That may not have been on purpose but I have had that thought in mind for a while now. I think it makes solid sense. 

30 minutes ago, JerseyJosh said:

We shall! Curious though, what's your favorite uni from the current Nets set? 

In a vacuum, I like the black road set.  Very striking.  But in context, I like the home whites.

lopez-lin.jpg

Simple, clean and classic.  And they really stand out in a very dark arena.

Sometimes you have to stop and remind yourself that the Lakers logo is just...bad.  If they were not the league's premier franchise, I think it would be widely agreed upon as one of the worst logos in the NBA.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Archived