Portland Trail Blazers new logo

Gothamite

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd honestly be shocked if this recent slew of nickname uniforms (Portland excluded) makes it past the transition of Adidas to Nike. I DO however see Nike deciding to take on another gimmick to drum up sales and attention.

JaiBirdDesignSig.png

1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

No, the fact that it's a nickname for the city is why it's not fit to be on a jersey.   

"The Big Apple" is a fine nickname for Gotham (as is "Gotham"), but I don't want to see it on a jersey either.  Same for Stumptown, Oaktown, the Olde Towne, the Cream City, the Motor City, the City by the Bay, the City of Big Shoulders, any of the various Queen Cities, or any number of other perfectly fine and charming nicknames that look similarly stupid when used in place of a city's actual name.  

I don't even like "Golden State" and am glad its days are numbered.  

http://sports.inquirer.net/234540/nba-warriors-coo-says-no-final-decision-on-san-francisco-name-change

I guess we'll see whether they keep it or dump it eventually.

56 minutes ago, Red Wolf said:

The bottom part of the pinwheel is totally a P! I'm not crazy. This isn't some hidden beaver situation. I'm not crazy. 

Where do you see the P?

C_VNLDAUAAArARc.jpg

I can see the intended lower-case B in the red. The white could be a Q, but the loop is on the wrong side of the descender to be a P. 

4 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Where do you see the P?

C_VNLDAUAAArARc.jpg

I can see the intended lower-case B in the red. The white could be a Q, but the loop is on the wrong side of the descender to be a P. 

Well, I can see a little bit of a lowercased p in cursive.  Wonder how dyslexic people see this, and I also wonder if anyone will get a seizure from this--or at least a headache.  This isn't a Rorschach inkblot test.  It's okay if you like it; it's okay if you don't.  Silver isn't coming back anytime soon, and I for one am glad.

p.png

I actually liked it.. A little flair seemed to fit with the "blazer" nickname for some reason, and it helped separate them from red/black/white teams.. It was kept rather tame it its use, but still consistent and with a strong enough presence to be an official color.. Plus, I personally like instances where a color is just different enough to be seen, but almost not different enough to really be noticed..

Kinda like how the old orange trim on the Buccaneers jerseys kinda seemed to subtly make the red "glow", but not really stand out as a separate color.. It had a strong enough presence to justify it being in the  palette, but not overwhelming

2 hours ago, Gothamite said:

No, the fact that it's a nickname for the city is why it's not fit to be on a jersey.   

"The Big Apple" is a fine nickname for Gotham (as is "Gotham"), but I don't want to see it on a jersey either.  Same for Stumptown, Oaktown, the Olde Towne, the Cream City, the Motor City, the City by the Bay, the City of Big Shoulders, any of the various Queen Cities, or any number of other perfectly fine and charming nicknames that look similarly stupid when used in place of a city's actual name.  

I don't even like "Golden State" and am glad its days are numbered.  

The only time I like state-based monikers is when that team is the only one in the state. Something like "Montana Warriors" would be fine, but I don't like "Golden State" because they were never California's only team.

If you had little to no familiarity with the NBA, would you know that the Golden State Warriors play in Bay Area based on their name? They could just as easily play in LA, San Diego, Orange County, Sacramento, or anywhere else in California.

To me, it always sounded like a team from one of the smaller California markets (Sacramento, San Diego, OC) trying to market themselves to the entire state rather than just their metro area (a la the California Angels). And yet they play in the very large Bay Area. I suppose the motivation was to market to the entire Bay Area rather than just Oakland, but frankly, the name "San Francisco Warriors" would've worked fine in Oakland, given that there isn't an NBA team in SF proper or on the West Bay.

I'm not a fan of state names in general (outside of Minnesota), but the only way a state name comes close to working is if there's only one dominant metro area in the state. Arizona, Minnesota, and Colorado are all examples of this - there aren't any "major league" metro areas other than Phoenix, the Twin Cities, and Denver, respectively, in those states. But Texas, Florida, California? Doesn't work, IMO.

And I've said it before, but "Golden State Warriors" sounds like a D-III team at some small state school in the middle of the Central Valley or the Inland Empire that no one outside of a 30 mile radius has ever heard of. "San Francisco Warriors," on the other hand? That name instantaneously conveys a major league stature.

I've been a Blazers fan since 1986 or so. I'm also pushing 40, so my ideals on things that are cool will automatically put me out of the demographic of "city" or "regional" nicknames on jerseys. All that being said...

I'm not a huge fan of "rip city" on the jerseys. It's not as dumb as Buzz City or Clutch City, but it's pushing the limits. As for the use of "rip city" to represent the Blazers in marketing or promotional materials, even selling t-shirts? Yes, 100% yes.

In my opinion, because the Blazers toiled in relative obscurity for so long, and never really got in the national spotlight until the runs to the Finals in the '90s, Bill Schonely's catch phrase remained a regional phenomenon. If he had been somewhere else, somewhere with great exposure, it'd be as recognizable as "Holy Cow!", or "Hey! Hey!"

And fun fact for y'all: Bill Schonely was also the play-by-play announcer for the Seattle Pilots before joining the Blazers.

4409811293_559b1d05dd_o.jpg

4 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Where do you see the P?

C_VNLDAUAAArARc.jpg

The direction of the white makes a p. Like the b, it's somewhat abstract, but it's totally there. Right? I can't be the only one who sees this. Maybe I'm crazy after all. Who is to say, really? 

3 hours ago, Red Wolf said:

The direction of the white makes a p. Like the b, it's somewhat abstract, but it's totally there. Right? I can't be the only one who sees this. Maybe I'm crazy after all. Who is to say, really? 

You're trying to argue that the white lines that curve to the left look like a P or p, which curves to the right?  

I think you're seeing a backwards p, which is a q

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

I'm only getting a q if you look at the middle line and only middle line. That black line with the circle is definitely a q. But the white lines are more of a p, unless I've been writing q's backwards all this time.  

I mean, you have to look for it as much as you do the b. After all, it's a weird abstract logo that's supposed to represent the two teams of five in a basketball game. 

I get what he's seeing.. It can visually represent a P, but there is clearly not a proper P anywhere to be found.. The fact that I can allow my eyes to kinda see it doesn't make it fact.. To be a clearly defined P of any sort, it would definitely need to be flipped (as others have already stated)

24 minutes ago, WavePunter said:

I get what he's seeing.. It can visually represent a P, but there is clearly not a proper P anywhere to be found.. The fact that I can allow my eyes to kinda see it doesn't make it fact.. To be a clearly defined P of any sort, it would definitely need to be flipped (as others have already stated)

Untitled-1.png.184dac18c015b4e333a41f1f73b279d8.png

PvO6ZWJ.png

Archived