Recommended Posts

On 5/12/2017 at 0:29 PM, ScubaSteve said:

That's why I really think the Trailblazers nailed it on their first try with this logo. I love it and you can see hints of a "b" (and I guess backwards "p"). Your suggestion is probably the logical modern version of it, in a sense that it would be easier to slap that one on merchandise without the open white space of this one.

 

 

tb.jpg

The problem is that the aesthetic flow is interrupted when you orient it like a P. The directionality of the lines competes with the manner in which they’re chopped.

 

My favorite is the 1990s logo. It’s the cleanest of the bunch, and I like the versatility of not having the outline, allowing it to be colored appropriately depending on its background. Typographically, there’s a lot to like about their original set, though it’s very 1970s in its style, but I really like the solid one-color version of the previous wordmark, save for the spikes on the O, S, and other round letters. The spikes on the new lettering look a bit forced.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

Why should it be? It memorialises a loss. 

 

If I'm in Portland? I just might buy a "Rose City" Blazers t-shirt. I'm not buying a "Rip City" shirt though. One's an authentic nickname for the city, the other was churned out by the team's PR folks, and doesn't even have a charming backstory to redeem itself.

It's hard to truly understand the "Rip City" monicker and what it means to the organization and fan base without actually being here and experiencing it, or at least without being a die hard fan of the team. The article linked to below does a pretty good job at explaining it and giving some insight into why the monicker stands for more than just a deep shot made during an eventual loss. It's a difficult thing to grasp if you're an outsider, so I can understand why some who aren't Blazers fans and/or Oregonians see it as being a bit foolish or manufactured, but it's really not. It's purely emotional, like the connection between the Cubs and their fans and the longstanding championship drought that finally ended last season.

https://www.si.com/thecauldron/2015/10/26/how-nbas-portland-trail-blazers-became-known-rip-city

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel like I'm a page or so late, but there are ways the Blazers could incorporate this silly "Rip City" thing without it being too egregiously stupid. They could easily make it a small word mark along the collar or something and it'd be just fine. It's a bummer they put the NBA logo on the back now, because that would've been the perfect place for it. My soccer club does the same thing with their city nickname, and it's actually kind of a cool little touch. It'd still be stupid on the front of the jersey, though. 

 

sacramento-republic-2015-lotto-jersey-12

2015-11-24_at_10-13-24-19_of_464_1024x10

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

Why should it be? It memorialises a loss. 

 

If I'm in Portland? I just might buy a "Rose City" Blazers t-shirt. I'm not buying a "Rip City" shirt though. One's an authentic nickname for the city, the other was churned out by the team's PR folks, and doesn't even have a charming backstory to redeem itself.

Subjectively, I’m not going to change your mind, and I think your point of view is right on, if their goal with their pride uniform was mass appeal and recognition on a national level, but objectively, that’s not the case. The fact is that native Portlanders and fans of the team have the complete opposite viewpoint on the issue, which objectively hampers your assessment of the situation given the goal of it and the context in which it exists.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Edited, addressed in PM.

Edited by Frylock
Cleared the air

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

mod edit

Edited by Ice_Cap
cleared the air

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

mod edit

 

mod edit

Edited by Ice_Cap
cleared the air

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

Why not? They're going to sell a tone to Blazers fans anyway, regardless of what the merch says.

 

I'd say I'm the one with the objective viewpoint here. I mean I don't have anything against the Blazers or Portland. I have no vendetta against the city, team, or its fans. I just think it's a silly sounding nickname that's not even justifiable with an endearing story.

 

The bolded part is what gets me. I don't mind that you think it's a silly sounding nickname (we're all entitled to our own opinions after all), and frankly most people outside of Portland, and even Oregon, won't be able to understand what it truly means to the Blazers and their fan base. I'd even venture to say that Blazers fans outside of Portland and Oregon aren't really able to fully grasp it unless they've been here to fully experience it at some point. And you may not think the monicker is justifiable with a story, but it absolutely is to Blazers fans, Portlanders, etc. It's not even really a story or a manufactured thing as you seem to continually think it is. It's a deeply emotional connection between the team and its fan base and the city in which they reside. It's nearly fifty years worth of moments that have forever tied the team and fan base together. The Rip City nickname isn't just a nickname, it stands for something bigger. It's symbolic of a deeper sense of collectivism that the organization and fan base feel towards one another. Sure there's a story of how the nickname started, and it was a perfectly natural and spur of the moment thing, rather than a PR driven slogan. But that story doesn't tell you about all the name has grown to stand for over the past 40, almost 50 years. You're entitled to your opinion, and I respect it, but I just know how strongly the fanbase feels about the nickname and all that it represents. Again, it's hard to grasp if you haven't lived it, but it's something special. And I don't care if that seems silly to others, because I know, and Blazers fans as a whole know, that it's not silly at all to us.

Edited by Ice_Cap
edited to reflect PM developments between Frylock and myself

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, upperV03 said:

The bolded part is what gets me. I don't mind that you think it's a silly sounding nickname (we're all entitled to our own opinions after all), and frankly most people outside of Portland, and even Oregon, won't be able to understand what it truly means to the Blazers and their fan base. I'd even venture to say that Blazers fans outside of Portland and Oregon aren't really able to fully grasp it unless they've been here to fully experience it at some point. And you may not think the monicker is justifiable with a story, but it absolutely is to Blazers fans, Portlanders, etc. It's not even really a story or a manufactured thing as you seem to continually think it is. It's a deeply emotional connection between the team and its fan base and the city in which they reside. It's nearly fifty years worth of moments that have forever tied the team and fan base together. The Rip City nickname isn't just a nickname, it stands for something bigger. It's symbolic of a deeper sense of collectivism that the organization and fan base feel towards one another. Sure there's a story of how the nickname started, and it was a perfectly natural and spur of the moment thing, rather than a PR driven slogan. But that story doesn't tell you about all the name has grown to stand for over the past 40, almost 50 years. You're entitled to your opinion, and I respect it, but I just know how strongly the fanbase feels about the nickname and all that it represents. Again, it's hard to grasp if you haven't lived it, but it's something special. And I don't care if that seems silly to others, because I know, and Blazers fans as a whole know, that it's not silly at all to us.

First off, thanks. To both you and Frylock in a PM for taking time to explain the whole "Rip City" nickname to me.

 

So I don't set out to beat a dead horse. My mind just works a certain way in a debate. Any time two or more people with opposing viewpoints talk about the thing they disagree on, well it's a debate. If I feel like I have a valid point, I tend to not let it get away from me. The first few times I brought up the "associated with a loss" thing I got a response filled with market-speak that called the nickname "sticky" and "street" and "youthful." None of which actually addressed my "associated with a loss" point. Tell me why the term means so much despite the loss, or why that game was important, despite the loss. I like to think I'm an open-minded guy. If you explain something I'll listen.

It's just that early on I brought up what I thought was a silly justification for the name and all I was getting was focus group-speak and people going "yeah well..." Which never addressed the point. So I kept hammering it.

 

Anyway I doubt I'll ever get it myself, but I'll concede the point. Thanks for the explanation.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, upperV03 said:

The bolded part is what gets me. I don't mind that you think it's a silly sounding nickname (we're all entitled to our own opinions after all), and frankly most people outside of Portland, and even Oregon, won't be able to understand what it truly means to the Blazers and their fan base. I'd even venture to say that Blazers fans outside of Portland and Oregon aren't really able to fully grasp it unless they've been here to fully experience it at some point. And you may not think the monicker is justifiable with a story, but it absolutely is to Blazers fans, Portlanders, etc. It's not even really a story or a manufactured thing as you seem to continually think it is. It's a deeply emotional connection between the team and its fan base and the city in which they reside. It's nearly fifty years worth of moments that have forever tied the team and fan base together. The Rip City nickname isn't just a nickname, it stands for something bigger. It's symbolic of a deeper sense of collectivism that the organization and fan base feel towards one another. Sure there's a story of how the nickname started, and it was a perfectly natural and spur of the moment thing, rather than a PR driven slogan. But that story doesn't tell you about all the name has grown to stand for over the past 40, almost 50 years. You're entitled to your opinion, and I respect it, but I just know how strongly the fanbase feels about the nickname and all that it represents. Again, it's hard to grasp if you haven't lived it, but it's something special. And I don't care if that seems silly to others, because I know, and Blazers fans as a whole know, that it's not silly at all to us.

 

Just appropriate something from the Timbers and call it a day.  At least their traditions are born from victory as is right and proper.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, rams80 said:

 

Just appropriate something from the Timbers and call it a day.  At least their traditions are born from victory as is right and proper.

More like they copied things from other teams' fans and claim them as their own by dressing them up in Timbers' colors.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

Why should it be? It memorialises a loss. 

 

If I'm in Portland? I just might buy a "Rose City" Blazers t-shirt. I'm not buying a "Rip City" shirt though. One's an authentic nickname for the city, the other was churned out by the team's PR folks, and doesn't even have a charming backstory to redeem itself.

 

I'm impressed you were able to determine that a phrase that has been used for over 50 years by an announcer and has been owned and loved by the city and team was actually just a clever marketing ploy made by big bad business suit people in the couple of days this thread has been up when you had previously never heard it before. That must've taken some serious googling.

 

Also if you think it's not proper for a team to "memorialize" a loss with a phrase, then i don't know how you'll react to the fact that The Star Spangled Banner tune is the same as (read, stolen from) a british drinking song from the 1600s.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, VikingsNotMinnesota said:

I'm impressed you were able to determine that a phrase that has been used for over 50 years by an announcer and has been owned and loved by the city and team was actually just a clever marketing ploy made by big bad business suit people in the couple of days this thread has been up when you had previously never heard it before. That must've taken some serious googling.

Some people just can't let something go.

 

4 hours ago, VikingsNotMinnesota said:

Also if you think it's not proper for a team to "memorialize" a loss with a phrase, then i don't know how you'll react to the fact that The Star Spangled Banner tune is the same as (read, stolen from) a british drinking song from the 1600s.

I've likely known that fact longer than you've known how to read.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

this thread gets hard to follow because of the edits, but @upperV03 i'd like to ask you, WHY do you think Rip City has stuck around all this time and has been able to take on the meaning(s) it does today? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I admit to some bias in not liking the phrase.  I also admit to not being able to put myself in the Blazers fan / Portland / Oregon mindset.  Given all that, I defer to those fans on their embrace of the whole thing.  Whether the team won or lost that game is neither here nor there to me.

 

But I do think the fact that the rest of us don't really get it does impact the degree to which it should be "officially" used.  Specifically, on the uniforms.  It's too much of an inside joke, if you will.  It's like the Lakers putting "Showtime" on the jerseys.  Things like Motor City are too cliche but the rest of us at least understand it.  

 

I also admit that I just don't like informal nicknamey things worn in games.  Motor City, Bolts, etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BrandMooreArt said:

this thread gets hard to follow because of the edits, but @upperV03 i'd like to ask you, WHY do you think Rip City has stuck around all this time and has been able to take on the meaning(s) it does today? 

A whole host of reasons, really. The fact that the Blazers were Portland's only major league professional franchise until the Timbers joined MLS in 2011 plays a big part in it, I think. I don't mean to say that Portland is exclusively a Blazers city, because that's not true at all, the Timbers have an enormous and loyal following as well (me included), but it's always been something different with the Blazers. Although Portland is somewhat of a big city, it has an indescribable sense of community and the Blazers have been an integral part of that since the '70's. The city loves the Blazers, and the Blazers love the city. The franchise was pretty bad in the early years, but the '77 championship really galvanized the organization and fan base together. Same can be said with the '90's and early '00's teams (before the Jail Blazers). And the Blazers fan base is pretty intelligent when it comes to basketball, but more than anything passionate. There's a reason they've been able to continually fill the arenas, even during down years. The fan base doesn't give up on the team, and instead they always stick by them. And there's been a lot to have to stick by them through, whether it's been injuries, heartbreaking losses in the playoffs, draft picks that didn't pan out (Sam Bowie, Greg Oden), the Jail Blazers, etc. In a weird way the fact that the team has only the one championship has brought the fan base and team together even closer, because there's been a lot of suffering since that '77 triumph. Lastly, I would just say that the city and fan base have always kind of "worshiped" the figures on the team. That goes for other people in the organization as well, such as Bill Schonely. All the players from the '77 championship hold a special place in the hearts of Blazers fans, as do players like Maurice Lucas, Kevin Duckworth, Jerome Kersey, Terry Porter, Clyde Drexler, Brian Grant, etc. Many of those figures have even stuck around in, or come back to Portland to either work with the Blazers, do work in the community, or just live there. So a lot of the Blazers' legends have further engrained themselves in the Portland community, and that's played a role as well. In my opinion all of those reasons are things that "Rip City" represent, and I think most Blazers fans would agree. Anyways, I hope that helps a little bit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, VikingsNotMinnesota said:

Also if you think it's not proper for a team to "memorialize" a loss with a phrase, then i don't know how you'll react to the fact that The Star Spangled Banner tune is the same as (read, stolen from) a british drinking song from the 1600s.

 

 

Yeah it was.  Key point, though:  The British didn't sack Baltimore.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Webfooter said:

More like they copied things from other teams' fans and claim them as their own by dressing them up in Timbers' colors.

 

Who the :censored: else literally saws a log?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

Some people just can't let something go.

Yeah I made that post before I even read page 6, that's my bad. I still think it's ridiculous that you thought that a phrase almost as old as the team itself was somehow a marketing ploy, even though you had never heard of it before.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.