Mets Script Issue (You Won't Be Able to Un-See This)

Gothamite

1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

Ah, what might have been....

GiantsMetsCap.jpg.c42ed533ed41c60e647430d0968bc2aa.jpg

So yeah, I'm kind of on my own. :D

Eh, I've always thought that "NY" looked a little too rough. The current cap logo is probably their best.

If the Mets are going to import any other elements of the New York baseball Giants' identity, I'd rather they make an alternate uniform around the 1916 set:

df05b61b8b29a9382ddd55fc30801f94.jpg8785_a.jpg

Put the checked uniforms in royal/orange, maybe tweak the "NY" (or use a royal/orange version of the "old tyme" "NY"), and you'd have the best fauxback in league history!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm comfortable with the green line.  The letters don't line up perfectly on any plane (which is one of those charming quirks of a hand-drawn logo.  If the magenta line isn't lined up perfectly, here it is with greater caution.

mets_2.jpg.18b75efc968536c1b12ea403b878468b.jpg

I still think it's a pretty noticeable difference between the jersey script and the logo script, and apparently I'm not alone (at least this time ;) ).  

19600462.jpg

EDIT: Uni Watch made up this graphic, which shows all the many problems with the modern script:

Wilpon_script.png.26173a1b865bfe515b252d6596912427.png

7 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Maybe it's not fair blame the Wilpons for this script specifically, since it predates their ownership of the team, but I'm pretty much down with blaming them for anything we can. :D

+++Conspiracy Theory Alert+++

Nobody is supposed to know this but... It's actually a very subtle NLP advertisement from Nike.  :o

nike-swoosh-big.jpg?w=1200

I believe it was an intentional change to keep the connecting line from M to the E from overlapping. Also regarding the cap logo this was Casey Stengel's game worn cap from 62 the style changed slightly in 63 to the what was worn until 93. 

marv-throneberry_8.jpg

808a_lg.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg.3ad6b608a1b222bebe66f6457a16c9bc.jpg

4 hours ago, Chico said:

I believe it was an intentional change to keep the connecting line from M to the E from overlapping. Also regarding the cap logo this was Casey Stengel's game worn cap from 62 the style changed slightly in 63 to the what was worn until 93. 

marv-throneberry_8.jpg

808a_lg.jpg

Not talking about the line between the "M" and "e", but rather the downward stroke in the middle of the "M", what's sometimes inelegantly referred to as the letter's crotch.   Your picture shows the original version, where the bottom of the crotch angles upwards to follow the overall upward sweep of the script.  Later versions would have that line more horizontal, not angling upwards. 

But you're right - the jersey script is kerned differently from the logo script; they had to account for the placket between the M and e, and then spaced out the other letters to preserve the balance.  That was a deliberate choice, I'm not sure the M was. 

As for the cap logo, I haven't done the research but I would suspect that the Mets had a lot of variation, especially in the early years.  Was pretty common for manufacturers to put their own spin on team logos, and the teams either didn't care that much or just took what they were given.  In my experience, it wasn't until the late 1980s, at the earliest, before logos became standardized and consistent. Maybe not even until New Era got the league-wide cap contract in 1993.

On 5/12/2017 at 9:03 AM, Gothamite said:

:D

And don't get me started on what they did to their cap logo in the 1990s.... ;)

mets_animated_caplogo.gif.240ce1f0a76b0e8eab8fe258d956a45a.gif

I was going to post this. I have no idea why they changed their cap logo, the original was far better. The new one is too thin and the "tails" were reshaped, too. I don't usually call something a "downgrade," but this one isn't in question.

I really want to take measurements of the old one, see the exact proportion as far as we can tell. 

I'm working on a theory that cap logos are more successful when they're more square-ish.  Taller than they are wide, but not too much more so.  The farther they get in any one direction - too tall, too wide - the less successful.  The problem I have with the revised Mets logo is that it compresses the design into a too-narrow space. Think the original one works so much better for that reason alone. 

Tremendous observation. This is exactly why I read this forum.

The awful-looking elongated stretch between the "M" and the "e" is exactly why the Mets are one of the many teams that would look so much better in a button-free pullover. 

Totally agree that their original "shorter/squatter" NY was much, much better. I hate that most NY Giants replicas use the modern Mets NY.

And that Stengel hat shows how much better the Mets looked when they used a darker "Dodger" blue. 

10 hours ago, schtee said:

Totally agree that their original "shorter/squatter" NY was much, much better. I hate that most NY Giants replicas use the modern Mets NY.

Agreed.  I'm hoping the presence of the old version on the mothership indicates that MLB has finally added it to the official style guide, which might mean we'll see it on merchandise in the future. 

13 hours ago, schtee said:

I hate that most NY Giants replicas use the modern Mets NY.

The Mets script issue doesn't bug me like I thought it would.  But this might...

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

God :censored::censored: it!

I avoided the thread, because I take the "cannot unsee," from someone like @Gothamite seriously, and not just clickbait. My curiosity got the better of me.

Throw this on the list, right after the Oilers...

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

34 minutes ago, BeerGuyJordan said:

God :censored::censored: it!

I avoided the thread, because I take the "cannot unsee," from someone like @Gothamite seriously, and not just clickbait. My curiosity got the better of me.

Throw this on the list, right after the Oilers...

Remind me again about the Oilers (I likely missed it in the other thread)?

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Oh, yeah. I hate this one.  

Here's the logo:

640px-Logo_Edmonton_Oilers.svg.png

The "can't unsee" part is how the letters kind of droop at the bottom - there's no even white circle between them and the blue border, it gets squeezed narrower and narrower as you get to the bottom.  It's almost as though the letters are melting and bleeding into the white.  Ugh. 

I don't see a problem with the Mets script as mentioned. It's a script font, it's based off of handwriting and not suppose to be perfect. As far as the Oilers "issue", I love it and think it looks great.

Archived