SyFy Channel Rebrand

#ConceptLeagues

this is a true re-brand. its not just a different logo, but a new identity that represents a shift in what their product/channel will deliver. its not the first time though, its usually the case with this channel when they roll out a new on-air package. not the most original logo, but from that GIF i get an "old school arcade meets pop art" feel that i like. feels playful, and youthful in "personality" - not in a childish way, but kind of a nerdy way. in the same vein as Good Morning Football on NFL Network. im interested to see more

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

1 hour ago, C-Squared said:
16 hours ago, Gary. said:

Iirc didn't they change it to Syfy because of copyright issues?

It was an overreaching attempt to contort their brand into something they could copyright (since Sci Fi was deemed public domain)... the coinciding shift in programming didn't help

It's a pity that they chose to resort to a weird spelling.  They could have attained a trademarkable name [note: I believe that the issue was trademark and not copyright] by going with the full name "the Sci-Fi Channel", always including the word "channel" -- just as we always say "the Weather Channel", and never just "Weather".  Or else they could have leaned on the initialism "SFC".

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

More geeky, I like it. Opens the door for a lot of cool functionality the old logo didn't have. Plus anything retro video game style's awesome anyway.

Lz5f6vZ.png

But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8/      Check Out My: Little Big League MLB ProjectDribbble

• 1 month later...

Just seeing this on TV for the first time.

It's jarring, but I think it works. And seems more versatile. Didn't realize it was announced so long ago.

I feel like they've recently shifted slightly away from the original (?) monster mashup movies and started showing more mainstream films in their genre. 

Why yes, I am watching a "Resident Evil" movie right now, why do you ask?

“With SYFY shifting their focus to a round the clock spotlight on all things genre, the convergence of strategy and design became the center of the network’s POV,” Loyalkaspar Executive Creative Director Daniel Dörnemann explains. “It was a ‘personality-first’ approach, editorializing through voice and messaging and also giving the brand a clear visual voice. We created a simple, consistent system that incorporates extreme flexibility to let the message take center stage and drive decisions.

“In designing the new logo, we were looking to embrace the various visual styles of science fiction,” Loyalkaspar Chief Creative Officer/Partner Beat Baudenbacher continues. “We wanted to approach it from a new angle and when we hit on the bold letterforms, it instinctively felt right.”

^ thats from the press release, which im just catching up on.

at first i was very interested in the visuals and had high hopes for the identity, but im now seeing some conflicting ideas here. especially in the bolded part, because i agree its an identity with expressive personality, but i think that gets in the way of "letting the message take center stage". the type and colors are so bold and in your face, most especially in animation where things are moving fast and flashing that the message gets lost. its not about the message at all, its about an entertaining visual. if you want to see an identity package that truly lets the message take center stage and deliver it in a perfectly clear manner, Viceland is the primo example.

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

On 6/23/2017 at 3:37 PM, BrandMooreArt said:

^ thats from the press release, which im just catching up on.

at first i was very interested in the visuals and had high hopes for the identity, but im now seeing some conflicting ideas here. especially in the bolded part, because i agree its an identity with expressive personality, but i think that gets in the way of "letting the message take center stage". the type and colors are so bold and in your face, most especially in animation where things are moving fast and flashing that the message gets lost. its not about the message at all, its about an entertaining visual. if you want to see an identity package that truly lets the message take center stage and deliver it in a perfectly clear manner, Viceland is the primo example.

Yeah, I don't know why a branding exercise should require a press release explaining its intent. It should either perform the job you are stating it does, or (like this) you somewhat undermine yourself by making confusing or conflicting statements.

Archived