New Helmet enters the NFL

Outside of testing scenarios, Vicis's helmet, called the Zero1, has yet to make its way onto the heads of NFL players--but that's about to change. According to the company, 25 of the NFL's 32 teams have purchased stockpiles of the helmet from Vicis to distribute to their players during practices this spring.

http://tinyurl.com/n2a5w8f

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Vicis better hope they've fixed the issues with the helmets because both the University of Washington and University of Oregon football teams tested them last fall, and were planning to use them during the season, but were forced to return them due to players complaining about fit, comfort, and protection issues. If some of those issues remain, it could still be awhile before they actually see the field in the college or pro ranks. I even saw a couple of Oregon players (can't remember which exactly) on Twitter and Instagram awhile back call the helmets "a joke" when someone posted some pictures from fall practices.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

Really interesting helmet, and the more classically styled face masks actually look pretty nice. They also smartly avoided placing vents or grooves where the stripes or logos typically sit.

The idea behind the helmet seems sort of like a crumple zone, but the idea seems to be a series of suspension rods that allow the shell to move and deform independently of the head inside.

Apparently the issues that Oregon and Washington players had were mostly related to forehead pressure, so that area was redesigned.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

31 minutes ago, #ConceptLeagues said:

The crumple zone is what I see as a possible issue for decals. If you watch the video above you can see how it may be problematic for decal adhesion over time.

I don’t know. All plastic shells bend on impact, and decals are usually vinyl, which is inherently somewhat flexible as well. It’s not like the shell itself is separating into multiple independent pieces like that new Schutt helmet or even the SpeedFlex.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

22 minutes ago, andrewharrington said:

I don’t know. All plastic shells bend on impact, and decals are usually vinyl, which is inherently somewhat flexible as well. It’s not like the shell itself is separating into multiple independent pieces like that new Schutt helmet or even the SpeedFlex.

Crumple Zone.jpg

14 minutes ago, #ConceptLeagues said:

Crumple Zone.jpg

I’ve seen the videos. I’m just not convinced it will be much different than it is now. They didn’t invent a new plastic with different flex properties. They just changed the way it absorbs, deflects, and transfers impact. It would be a different story if the decals were completely rigid. That’s why they break more in cold weather.

7 minutes ago, andrewharrington said:

I’ve seen the videos. I’m just not convinced it will be much different than it is now. They didn’t invent a new plastic with different flex properties. They just changed the way it absorbs, deflects, and transfers impact. It would be a different story if the decals were completely rigid. That’s why they break more in cold weather.

It's a soft outer shell as opposed to a rigid shell. Rigid shells don't compress the way this helmet does.

Either way, it will be interesting to see how it works out. The lack of real estate alone will be a pain for equipment guys.

It's more safe, that's really what matters. $1,500.00 per helmet.

2 hours ago, upperV03 said:

Vicis better hope they've fixed the issues with the helmets because both the University of Washington and University of Oregon football teams tested them last fall, and were planning to use them during the season, but were forced to return them due to players complaining about fit, comfort, and protection issues. If some of those issues remain, it could still be awhile before they actually see the field in the college or pro ranks. I even saw a couple of Oregon players (can't remember which exactly) on Twitter and Instagram awhile back call the helmets "a joke" when someone posted some pictures from fall practices.

As the story said, Vicis had their engineers redesign certain elements of the helmet to fix many of the issues those 2 schools pointed out.  It'll be interesting to see if those teams wear the helmets next season.

14 minutes ago, #ConceptLeagues said:

It's a soft outer shell as opposed to a rigid shell. Rigid shells don't compress the way this helmet does.

Either way, it will be interesting to see how it works out. The lack of real estate alone will be a pain for equipment guys.

It's more safe, that's really what matters. $1,500.00 per helmet.

Is it that much less, though? The face mask juts out an inch more, but the SpeedFlex has a similarly shaped top bracket. The Vicis itself also looks larger, and it has more smooth, uninterrupted area for a decal because it lacks the vents that other models have taking up real estate in that area.

Thanks for pointing out the shell difference, though. I think that could either be good or bad for decals. Maybe someone with knowledge in those types of physics would be able to better evaluate. I know the Dodgers changed their batting helmet decal from a hard plastic to a softer material to address breakage issues.

Archived