Sports you hate

smzimbabwe

7 minutes ago, Still MIGHTY said:

All of this, but the bolded part especially.

If NBA games were a half-hour/one hour-long TV show, I could probably get into it. But at three hours, they tend to drag on. It's either a blowout or the last 5-10 minutes matter. The previous 80-90 points didn't really matter all that much, no matter how many "highlights" (read: routine dunks that consistently land as the No. 1 play of the night somehow) happened in the early stages of the game.

Yeah this has always gotten me. Lebron dunks on a guy, ruins that guy's life, the whole arena loses their mind, aaaaaand it's worth a grand total of 2 out of 100+ points. Yeah it looked cool, but so what? Making two free throws counts just the same. 

7 minutes ago, Still MIGHTY said:

Every so often (usually when the Lakers are worth a damn), I try to get into the NBA. I really do. It's all of my buddies' favorite sport (and none of them watch hockey), so conversations about sports tend to drift there (or their godforsaken fantasy league that 1) seems to mean more to them than the NBA itself sometimes and 2) I almost won on accident the first year just because picked first and had LeBron, but I only joined because NHL lockout, then NHL came back and I didn't care about fantasy NBA haha). So I really do give it a try, but it just never gets its hooks into me.

The first and only NBA game I've ever been to was a Nuggets-Thunder playoff game. Fully recognizing this could be on the fans of Denver and not an indictment of the sport as a whole, it was a close game and there was no absolutely no energy in the building. I've been to a late season Blue Jackets-Coyotes that had more juice. Not to make this a hockey-basketball dick measurement contest because that's an annoying hockey fan thing to do, but I was not impressed by that crowd for an NBA playoff game. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, McCarthy said:

Yeah this has always gotten me. Lebron dunks on a guy, ruins that guy's life, the whole arena loses their mind, aaaaaand it's worth a grand total of 2 out of 100+ points. Yeah it looked cool, but so what? Making two free throws counts just the same. 

The first and only NBA game I've ever been to was a Nuggets-Thunder playoff game. Fully recognizing this could be on the fans of Denver and not an indictment of the sport as a whole, it was a close game and there was no absolutely no energy in the building. I've been to a late season Blue Jackets-Coyotes that had more juice. Not to make this a hockey-basketball dick measurement contest because that's an annoying hockey fan thing to do, but I was not impressed by that crowd for an NBA playoff game. 

I just went to my first NBA game, and even though it was a meaningless Wolves-Lakers game, the crowd was pretty into it. 

I hated it... While part of it might have been because the Target Center is a mess, the whole thing just felt off... I get that they need to announce the name of the player who scored, but it was just odd... 

When the Wolves scored: "RICKY RUBIO!!!!!!"

When the Lakers scored: "player last name" Usually it was so quick that I couldn't even tell what the name was. 

There's also music during gameplay, including more complex cheers on the scoreboard. Also, what's up with the floor wipers doing that during gameplay??? What is this, a rec league??? For the one game I attended, the floor wiper almost interfered with gameplay like 4 or 5 times... Imagine a game 7 winning, Finals winning dunk being tripped up by the broom... 

Also I agree with all of the people who say that the NBA has become just a sport about one player in particular... As someone who doesn't really follow the NBA, all I see the league as is Lebron vs. the Warriors. And the Warriors are just a nickname for the Big 3, Durant, Curry, and Thompson. That's really why I hate basketball. I mean the gameplay can be interesting, but it doesn't really get exciting... there's SO much scoring that every little point means almost nothing... It's not like pretty much every other sport, where they only get a few scores. Maybe they should make each game fit into a half hour segment... A 20-13 game would certainly be more interesting than a 117-83 game, where the last 5 minutes and the 2nd through 4th quarter don't matter... 

I also hate soccer because of the soft dives. The players and the fanbase know this, and yet it's waived off as acceptable. I'm not even trying to say that the players should continue to play with a terrible open broken bone, but have a sense of pride, and don't fake injuries for a call... Not to be THAT guy, but NHL players have gone through the playoffs when broken ribs, torn ACLs and MCLs, as well as breaking something, and finishing the shift, regardless of the score, so a little flick to the ear shouldn't seem like death...

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

You do have a point here, as the intensity ramps up within about 10 minutes to go and if the score is within about 10. But if the Cavs pull within 1 point with 2 minutes to go after being down 18, then every single point--and stop--matters. Don't get me wrong, I also like (and appreciate) more conservatively-scored game like hockey (and defense in general) where every score matters throughout, but basketball has its runs throughout the game and has the closing minutes which could go any which way.

1. You watched the playoffs in the wrong mountainous NBA city. B)

2. That said, I, too, have a love-hate relationship with the NBA as a league, mostly stemming from officiating. It's either terribly inconsistent or biased, and most of the time favors superstar-laden or otherwise large-market teams. That, in turn, leads to players like James Harden and the bulk of the current Clippers and Warriors rosters (I may admit some bias here) to drop on the deck and flop like a fish. Then, in the last decade or so, we've gotten the Superteam™, where competitive balance has been thrown out the window and exacerbated to the point where only 2-3 teams have a legitimate shot at a championship instead of about 5-8. One of the NBA's largest faults--and could possibly prove its downfall at a point in time in the relatively distant future--is its insistence to put these #narratives ahead of the actual gameplay or competitive balance.

You had the Lakers and Celtics in the 1980s, Jordan and the Bulls in the 1990s, Kobe and the Lakers in the 2000s (and at the end of the decade, the Celtics--again--with theri "Big 3"). In this decade, you had The Decision™, it was LeBron and the Heat, then the Warriors, then LeBron and the Cavs. Granted, there are some exceptions (Dallas winning in 2011 with San Antonio and Detroit effectively playing spoiler here and there), but I believe the NBA has the smallest amount of its teams to win at least one title (something like 10-12; correct me if I'm wrong). (I might also admit to San Antonio being effectively my 3rd favorite NBA team behind Utah and Phoenix due to their more "team-first" approach.)

Anyways, the NHL hasn't been without its officiating faults that somehow benefits the team with the biggest name (See this year's Columbus-Pittsburgh series), but that league doesn't to have the kind of history that the NBA has. After all, I don't recall Wayne Gretzky winning a title after leaving Edmonton.

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

The only sports I actively hate are college football and college basketball. All other professional sports appropriately compensate the athletes playing the game.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I can't say I hate any professional sport, but MLB needs to make regular season games important. 162 games? Really? Players can't make it through a full season anymore. Let's cut it down a bit.

75 Home 75 Away

Soccer. I used to just dislike it, but now I actively hate it. I think it's boring as hell to watch, but people say the same thing about baseball, which I love. To each his own. But it's the stuff around the game that enrages me now. We're not in Europe, it's a game, not a match. American grammar rules should still apply; it's New York leads Chicago, not New York lead Chicago. Home teams should be listed second. And those MLS team names are awful. Half of them have American style names, half of them have European style names. Pick one style or the other, it drives my OCD crazy! You can't have the New York Red Bulls in the same league with a team called New York FC or whatever letters they picked out of their alphabet soup.

I also hate car racing, but I don't consider driving a car to be a sport.

I don’t think I hate any sport, really. I mean, I certainly have my preferences — don’t watch much NASCAR outside of Daytona, only watch non-Browns NFL as a social thing, etc. — but if it has people competing in something athletically, I’m probably down.

6fQjS3M.png

9 hours ago, DG_Now said:

The only sports I actively hate are college football and college basketball. All other professional sports appropriately compensate the athletes playing the game.

Probably because college basketball and college football, well, aren't professional sports. ;)  (And don't bother retorting with the redundant, failed comeback of "Well they pretty much are".)

College student-athletes are much better off than the rest of the student populace.

Soccer because British football hooligans are the absolute worst fans on the planet, no argument. Toxic, borderline xenophobic considering their attitude towards Americans..  FIFA is garbage.

I love playing Golf, but it might just be the most boring thing in the world to watch.

NBA stinks. NHL isn't corrupt or anything but it's a dumb company which keeps making piss poor decisions and it kind of puts me off the sport.

Video Gaming is not a fricking sport. Any out of shape guy could sit on ass and be good at CS GO or Lol or whatever if he has decent reaction time and fast fingers.

Fly Eagles Fly, on the road to victory...

Philadelphia Eagles: NFL Champions in 1948, 1949, 1960, Super Bowl Champions in 2017-18. Philadelphia Phillies: World Series Champions in 1980 and 2008. Philadelphia 76ers: NBA Champions in 1966-67 and 1982-83. Philadelphia Flyers: Stanley Cup Champions in 1973-74, 1974-75

On 2017-05-15 at 11:05 PM, the admiral said:

I love hockey but I passionately despise the NHL.

That's just being a hockey fan :P 

There are sports I hate playing but love to watch (tennis, football). There are sports I love to play but can't really watch (soccer). Then there's golf. I hate golf. The only enjoyment I've ever gotten out of golf was driving my dad around the course. And that's because he started drinking and cursing the game's existence after one hole. Fun times.

I like basketball, but Jesus Christ the NBA is flat out unwatchable these days. I'm a Grizzlies fan...I might've legitimately watched 2 1/2 Grizzlies games the entire regular season. As long as the NBA is this much of a lopsided gongshow, with two haves and 28 have-nots, I honestly don't know where the motivation to watch these games can come from.

spacer.png

Baseball. I'd literally rather sit in a room, staring at a blank TV than to turn it on and watch baseball. 

Same thing with NASCAR. I love me some auto racing (racing is a sport, mind you), but NASCAR is also excruciatingly boring.   

Throw golf in there too for the trifecta of soulless boring sports.

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

1 minute ago, Rockstar Matt said:

Same thing with NASCAR. I love me some auto racing (racing is a sport, mind you), but NASCAR is also excruciatingly boring.   

I tried to get into NASCAR when I was in high school. I ended up watching more F1 as a result.

On 2017-5-15 at 8:45 AM, MJWalker45 said:

Curling and poker. If you can do them at the top level hungover or pregnant,  it's not a real sport.

Poker is a competitive game of mental challenges, to try to make correct decisions and to evaluate the risks you take.

It's not a sport. It's a card game. But they still air the WSOP and such on sports networks because it's a competition and those broadcast tournaments have an audience so there's a demand to view it and it needs to air somewhere.

Hasn't some sports channel once aired that annual eating contest?

Archived