The World According to the IIHF (Canada Added)

JB Designs

HJC is running a competition for teams at the '17 IIHF World Championship in which entrants can submit concepts in three categories (USA, Canada, and the Rest of the World). With that in mind, I'll start with those three categories and then expand the series as time and inspiration commits.

First off is my entry for Slovenia in the World Division, using a modified version of the Slovenian Ice Hockey Federation logo as the main crest and recolored versions of the national crest on the upper arms.

As always C&C is appreciated.

Slovenia Set.png

• JB Designs changed the title to The World According to the IIHF
39 minutes ago, NoE38 said:

First off, one little error, you wrote Slovakia instead of Slovenia at the bottom of the concept. ;)

As for the design, I like it! It reminds me a little bit of Pittsburgh's striping, But I think it's different enough.

Could we see the back of the jersey?

Wow, Nothing like a split second mental error after a day of design work. It has been updated, thanks.

As far as the back of the Jersey goes, I'm trying to figure out a way to show the back effectively without wasting space by showing whole setup again, if that makes sense. Once I come up with a solution that will fit in well, I'll add that.

• JB Designs changed the title to The World According to the IIHF (Slovenia Added)

Next up is the ol' Stars and Stripes.

Personally, I am not a fan of teams relying on text-based logos to represent their identity. As such, the USA gets a logo update to an eagle head in a shield and a uniform update to match. As there are so many blue teams across the world's nations and there has been numerous comments about the current uniform similarities between the US and Slovakia, my design for the Americans promotes red to the country's primary and draws inspiration from the recent redesign of the Florida Panthers while maintaining an identity unique to American Hockey history.

Let me know what you think.

USA Set.png

• JB Designs changed the title to The World According to the IIHF (United States Added)

Reworked USA a bit in response to @jujubeans's comments. I'll admit forgetting about the rivalries was a bit of an oversight, I just wanted to experiment with a red USA look. I have redesigned both the home and the away, leaving combinations to decide between.

A ) Original Home / Original Away

USA Set.png

B ) New Home / New Away

USA Set B.png

C ) New Home / Original Away

USA Set C.png

Let me know what you think!

• JB Designs changed the title to The World According to the IIHF (United States Updated)

@hockey week Thanks for the feedback, reverting the logo back and adding the outline makes for a  much cleaner look, here are the three combinations with that update

A ) Original Home / Original Away

USA Set.png

B ) New Home / New Away

591cf9c525ad2_USASetB.png.7b1d47a33dc511d1c9f827dff830b672.png

C ) New Home / Original Away

USA Set C.png

• JB Designs changed the title to The World According to the IIHF (United States Update 2)

That's what I'm leaning towards as well. It seems the Red, White, and Blue could use more Blue than Red.

Next up is my home country, Canada.

In this design, I tried my hand at taking the maple leaf lower-arm pattern of the World Cup jerseys and turning it on its head to become a more modern upper-arm design. This was pared with the Hockey Canada logo used in IIHF competition. As Canada is a red in white nation, black is kept to a minimum on the jersey itself and emphasized on the equip to create a  more clean cut look.

591d0342457d9_CanadaSet.png.ee4e5960b56e1333ea79fd0cefb7d1dc.png

• JB Designs changed the title to The World According to the IIHF (Canada Added)
1 hour ago, charger77 said:

Would you consider flip flopping the shields on the USA jerseys?

I can certainly mock it up if you'd like to see it, but from a design standpoint I wouldn't, no. As a designer, I'm a firm believer that a team's identity should be strong enough for that team

to be recognized without a text-based logo spelling out exactly who they are. As such, this is a part of not only this series but the rest of my designs as well. As a result, the new eagle shield takes center stage with the world cup shield moving to the shoulders.

Went back and cleaned up the Canada concept per @NoE38's feedback and I have to admit, despite my personal feelings on the inclusion of black on a Team Canada jersey, it does do a number for the cohesion of the uniform. Guess that explains why all jerseys Canada has used with the Hockey Canada logo have included black in some form.

591e510b7feba_CanadaSet.png.14d3e3a029d17d31e282a10166ae2ad0.png

Thanks for the feedback and if you have anymore suggestions, let me know.

Archived