Need input - supposed old logo pin from 1st Saints game

B-Rich

So on Facebook, some lady posts some pictures she calls "Original Gumbo mascot pin from first Saints game in Tulane stadium" -- the best/clearest pic is presented below:

591b68516992b_Pin3.thumb.jpg.ca0387ce1719452bd2496d56fcc40159.jpg

One look at them and it's clear that's not Gumbo the St. Bernard. It's wearing a beanie sailor cap, common to college mascots back in those days.  It also has a HOOF on the right side, not a paw.  And there are what clearly looks to be curved horns on either side (I think the one on the left is also holding a flag). 

I'm pretty sure it's a RAM, not a St. Bernard dog. What's more the paint on the pin is BLUE, not black or gold. The Los Angeles Rams happened to be the Saints opponent that day, and back then the Rams wore blue and white. I mentioned all this in a follow-up post, and mentioned it might be a pin for the opposing team that was given away, or that someone bought for her. She curtly replied,

"I was at the game with my parents and know exactly who that is and its Gumbo".

Well, excuse me.... Anybody seen this logo in print version? I can't find one on the net anywhere... Or at least agree with me that this is NOT a St. Bernard dog, but a ram?

pin 1.jpg

It is what it is.

Here's a multi-color version of the same logo on the mothership labeled as 1954.

7641_north_carolina_tar_heels-primary-1954.png

Now, it's also possible that it wasn't specifically North Carolina - a lot of these "walking mascot" logos came from the same shop and were replicated for various schools.  But seems pretty clear this is exactly what it is, and I'm not sure the LA Rams ever used it.

Excellent find, Gordie!  When you look at the heads side by side at the same size, you clearly see the match:

18527969_1661777423850135_5404942043634957868_n.thumb.jpg.2aa9d9d03649b496e4ecc91365fe1442.jpg

Glad I found some "evidence".  The lady started to get really testy about it. I asked a follow-up question in the nicest way possible (before you guys posted the original), and I got this:

Me: Just curious, was it a giveaway promotional item, or was it bought at the game as a souvenir?
Her (Purrple Pam Carter): give away and were you at that game I take it you were NOT by that question case closed

Sounds like many women I know (and/or related to/married to) -- I'm right, you're wrong; end of story.

So i did post the above comparison, along with a note not doubting it was a giveaway promotion, but we WERE playing the Rams that day, and as Gothamite noted those kind of cartoon drawings were "stock" and used by several teams with the "ram" name, so it may have been something along those lines.  But it's clearly not the St. Bernard dog "Gumbo".

It is what it is.

Yep....my initial thought was a UNC logo pin from back in the day. Definitely not Gumbo. Per THIS ARTICLE from last August, the dog was given to the team on Sept 12, 1967...only 5 days before the team's first game vs the Rams. It's highly unlikely they would have had pins of mascot. My guess is that it was either a pin given out at the game because they played the Rams or it's a UNC pin.

Here's the original "Gumbo" mascot:

-b67edff7482258c3.jpg

gYH2mW9.png

Archived