WNBA - The Sister League (1/31 - Milwaukee Bucks/Does)

mcrosby

My other topic was moved over to Sports in General, so here we go with the concept league. 

As a refresher, and for anyone who hasn't seen the other topic: I'm working on a concept WNBA where every NBA city has an affiliated team in the WNBA. As long as I'm at it I'm relocating some of the NBA nicknames. WNBA nicknames will honor the past and fit alongside NBA nicknames. 

Here are the team names as I have them so far: 

City NBA Current NBA New WNBA Current WNBA New
Atlanta Hawks Hawks Dream Harriers
Boston Celtics Celtics Connecticut Sun Charm
Brooklyn Nets Nets    
Charlotte Hornets Hornets   Vespas
Chicago Bulls Bulls Sky  
Cleveland Cavaliers Cavaliers    
Dallas Mavericks Mavericks Wings Mares
Denver Nuggets Nuggets   Glint
Detroit Pistons Pistons   Sparks
Golden State Warriors Warriors   Guardians
Houston Rockets Rockets   Comets
Indiana Pacers Pacers Fever  
Los Angeles Clippers Clippers   Schooners
Los Angeles Lakers Longnecks Sparks Okapis
Memphis Grizzlies Grizzlies   Vixens
Miami Heat Heat   Fire
Miilwaukee Bucks Bucks   Does
Minnesota Timberwolves Timberwolves Lynx Lynx
New Orleans Pelicans Jazz   Brass
New York Knicks Knicks Liberty Liberty
Oklahoma City Thunder Thunder   Shock
Orlando Magic Magic   Miracle
Philadelphia 76ers 76ers   Belles
Phoenix Suns Suns Mercury Mercury
Portland Trail Blazers Trail Blazers    
Sacramento Kings Kings   Monarchs
San Antonio Spurs Spurs Stars Stars
Toronto Raptors Raptors   Owls
Utah Jazz Lakers    
Washington Wizards Wizards Mystics Mystics
Seattle   Sonics Storm

Storm

And of course, here are logos for the first pair: The Milwaukee Bucks and the Milwaukee Does

Primaries

fZ2EemL.png

Throwbacks

6mEdfIM.png

I made some minor changes to my Bucks concept to make the Does logo more feminine, without going too over the top...like the throwback logo may have. 

I love this idea. I love the name changes (except maybe the Lakers, the Longnecks is not my favorite, but we'll see when you get there), and I love this new look. Especially that throwback for the Does, you created something from nothing and it's gorgeous. Va va voom, etc.

The only things I would change:

- Make the Bucks throwback the new colors. I'd make his sweater the new green and the B blue, but I'm sure there are other ways to do that, too.

- Make the Doe the same colors, completing the whole sister team thing and streamlining the Milwaukee identities.

I absolutely love the Does throwback, it looks like something that would be from the same era as the Bucks throwback.

I, however, don't like the shape of the Does head, namely the point on top. I feel it should be flat on the top, so maybe slice the point off?

Wow those logos are great. The updates on both the Bucks logos are small but make both way better. And the does throwback logo is superb. I do agree with Dan O'Mac though about the top of the doe's head on the new logo. I just looked up does on google and the top of their head is either flat or has a little bit of a curve. Maybe that could help? 

18 hours ago, mcrosby said:

My other topic was moved over to Sports in General, so here we go with the concept league. 

As a refresher, and for anyone who hasn't seen the other topic: I'm working on a concept WNBA where every NBA city has an affiliated team in the WNBA. As long as I'm at it I'm relocating some of the NBA nicknames. WNBA nicknames will honor the past and fit alongside NBA nicknames. 

Brooklyn Nets Nets    
Chicago Bulls Bulls Sky  
Miami Heat Heat   Fire
Utah Jazz Lakers    
Seattle   Sonics Storm

Storm

And of course, here are logos for the first pair: The Milwaukee Bucks and the Milwaukee Does

Primaries

fZ2EemL.png

The does' ears might be a bit more vertical sine they don't have the antlers in the way.

doe_c2ca5f1038_o.jpg

2014Event7_Medal.pngEvent5_Medal.pngSDLureFT1L2.pngwb9iz8.jpg

On 5/17/2017 at 1:23 AM, mcrosby said:

Brooklyn Nets Nets    
Chicago Bulls Bulls Sky  
Miami Heat Heat   Fire
Utah Jazz Lakers    
Seattle   Sonics Storm

Storm

Primaries

fZ2EemL.png

Throwbacks

6mEdfIM.png

I made some minor changes to my Bucks concept to make the Does logo more feminine, without going too over the top...like the throwback logo may have. 

The Boston Charm was my idea in case you haven't seen my post. And also, I'm working on "sister teams" for NBA teams who don't or never had WNBA teams present in their city. Your team names and overall concepts are very well-representative and appealing.

2 hours ago, artplaya0711 said:

The Boston Charm was my idea in case you haven't seen my post. And also, I'm working on "sister teams" for NBA teams who don't or never had WNBA teams present in their city. Your team names and overall concepts are very well-representative and appealing.

He credited you in his original thread which has, as mcrosby said in the first post of this thread, been moved in the Sports in general section of the forums.

I like the idea.

I'd probably just use current NBA names...and I'm confused about why the Lakers name is now in Utah.  I get that the point was to give "Jazz" to New Orleans but then you would just need to give Utah a new name.  I suppose you've done it because of the Great Salt Lake, but having to change the name of the league's signature franchise seems odd.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

5 hours ago, OnWis97 said:

I like the idea.

I'd probably just use current NBA names...and I'm confused about why the Lakers name is now in Utah.  I get that the point was to give "Jazz" to New Orleans but then you would just need to give Utah a new name.  I suppose you've done it because of the Great Salt Lake, but having to change the name of the league's signature franchise seems odd.

I second this

I might take it a little further with the name moving. The Pelicans name can go to Los Angeles, send the Lakers name back to its original home in Minnesota, move the Timberwolves name to Toronto, and move the Raptors name to Utah (there is a dinosaur named the Utahraptor).

Also, why Vespas for Charlotte and Okapis for Los Angeles?

st__louis_aces_player_sig___tom_davis_by_verasthebrujah-d9w1l6u.jpg

new_orleans_krewe_player_sig___qb_donny_minor_by_verasthebrujah-dbd786h.jpg.04fb6ee08e3d6de5abf371b4fd8bf0bf.jpgmiami_suns_sig_by_verasthebrujah-da7emd5.jpg

15 hours ago, eick74 said:

I might take it a little further with the name moving. The Pelicans name can go to Los Angeles, send the Lakers name back to its original home in Minnesota, move the Timberwolves name to Toronto, and move the Raptors name to Utah (there is a dinosaur named the Utahraptor).

Also, why Vespas for Charlotte and Okapis for Los Angeles?

I would personally keep any existing team names in both the NBA and WNBA to keep at least some realism here

If I may be so bold to speak:

Okapis is supposed to be a feminine counterpart to Longnecks, a reference to giraffes, chosen because the mascot for the LA Lakers was briefly a giraffe.

Don't know why we've got the Italian word for "wasps" (though the plural should be "vespe") for Charlotte. I mean, I get hornet vs. wasp, but I don't know why Italian.

rATMcmK.png

On 5/25/2017 at 1:25 PM, OnWis97 said:

I like the idea.

Yep. Either change LA/Utah/New Orleans/Memphis/etc. or just don't do it at all.

As for Utah's WNBA team name, I'd suggest re-using the Starzz Stars name that the former WNBA team used. Failing that, though, I do like the Seagulls or possibly Spiders.

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

• 1 month later...

Archived