NHL EXPANSION- Seattle, Portland, Houston

mtcantwe

With the NHL expanding to Las Vegas, it seems like it's only a matter of time until they add a 32nd team.  It also seems that the popular expansion mode in NBA 2k17 will be added to NHL 18, with the ability to create and manage your own expansion franchise.  This is enjoyable as is making up a team design in general.  So I'll post a couple of cities, but to start here are three teams.  

SEATTLE METROPOLITANS

The font for the names and the franchise is the same as the famous public market that everyone goes to in Seattle.  The logo is the famous Space Needle, Mt. Rainier is behind it, on the top of a puck.  With the skyline of the city going around the side edge.  I figured since they are Metropolitans, the cities metropolis must be embraced in the logo. 

Metropolitans.png

Metropolitanswithtext.png

SpaceNeedle.png

Uniform.png

PORTLAND LUMBERJACKS

Portland seems like a logical backup plan for the NHL.  It would create another team in the Northwest that would hopefully become rivals with the Canucks.  They could put the team in the same arena as the Trail Blazers.  On top of that, the city has shown they are consistent when it comes to embracing franchises and becoming very passionate.  The logical choice seemed to be the Lumberjacks, celebrating the history of the timber industry, in a similar fashion to the Portland Timber of the MLS.  

PortlandLumberjacks.png

face2.png

Axes.png

LumberjacksUniform.png

HOUSTON WRANGLERS

Houston apparently has come up a lot in possible cities for the NHL, and the arena the Rockets play in is hockey ready.  I figured since this was the 4th team in the city, that I should try and follow a theme.  Two of the teams are space related, the third is more farming related, embracing the rich cattle and farming history of the state.  I decided the fourth team should choose that history as well, to put it in the same field as the Texans.  This team would be the Houston Wranglers.  Black, Orange, and an off white seemed perfect for the team.  The text is the old Western style font.  But nothing on the shoulders here, the only ting that would make sense would be something Texas related.  But all the models I tried looked too much like the Dallas Stars, the hopeful eventual rival of this team.  

HoustonWranglerspt2.png

HoustonWranglerFace.png

Uniform.png

@seancarter I saw that was a popular minor league team and popular choice around there.  So I completely understand why you would say that.   But I felt like going this route.  I do think if it was going to happen.  I'd recommend Wranglers and Aeros going in a fan poll and see what the fans want.  For design and when I do NHL, I felt like doing something different.  

Thanks for the Reply

• 4 months later...

Looking for another team in the west, I looked to New Orleans.  I know it's an unlikely choice, but I did think it was a great concept to go with.  I decided on the New Orleans Voodoo.  Celebrating the rich history of the area and something that is truly unique to the bayou.  I wanted the main logo to be the witch doctor and a voodoo doll to be the second logo.  Both of which, embrace the use of the hockey stick as an accessory.  

VOODOO1.png

Voodoo2.png

VoodooUniform.png

Hamilton is a possibility, Toronto can support two franchises.  So I wanted to go with an old school look with a straight forward logo.  The feel of an old franchise and an old school look.  The logo, simple and straight forward, but looking right at you.  

BulldogJustHeadAway.png

BulldogJustHeadHome.png

Bulldogs.png

BulldosText.png

Hamiton.png

Uniform.png

I really like these. That Seattle set is flawless. I like where you were going with Portland and New Orleans, but the jerseys seem too minor league to be NHL. The Voodoo also remind me too much of the Baltimore Ravens haha. Houston is fantastic though. I know the Aeros name is really popular, but I like the Wranglers nickname a lot. Could you do Milwaukee? 

The Portland alternate logo reminds me of this:

image.png.3934572c362b1ab787c79da49148ebf6.png

(Pink Floyd fans will get the reference.)

This is cool, but the execution is sloppy.  New Orleans in particular.  The logos are poor, the font is bad, and the NOB is waaay too large.  There are some good ideas, though.

"It is better to have fought and lost than to not have fought at all."

I think the shading on most of the logos needs work, it's very sloppy and looks like you just did it as quick as you could without much thought put into it. You need to simplify the lines, with less jigs and jags if you know what I mean. And definitely work on the eyes. Ideas are there, execution could be better, but that comes with more experience. I don't know how long you've worked on each concept, but I'd definitely take a little more time on them so they don't look as 'slapped together' as they do. 

• 4 weeks later...

The Portland Pirates could work. Even though there is a Pittsburgh Pirates there are still two professional sports teams called the Kings, and the Cardinals. Like Portland, Pittsburgh is a river kind of city with the ocean a bit of a distance away. It could work, maybe, assuming either the Coyotes or the Flames move.

Archived