MLB: Project 32 - New Dugout Jackets Added

SFGiants58

I don't remember whether I ever gave those Brewers scripts proper credit but they're really impressive. Perfect update of my favorite Brewers uniforms, the tailed-script variations of the pinstripes.

The dugout jackets are interesting because they go in directions I wouldn't think to go in with them, which is to say the logos on the back and some of the other templates: UCLA stripes, contrasting sleeves. Lots of good ideas in there, the Arizona one in particular is terrific. On the Twins, I forgot what sort of application (if any) you had in mind for the Twin Cities script, but maybe that could be a quirk reserved for the jackets? I like seeing White Sox spelled out on the jackets, but I can't get down with red in their color palette.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• Replies 568
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 5/21/2018 at 5:38 PM, coco1997 said:

Oh man, I would pay way too much money for all three of those White Sox jackets. 

On 5/21/2018 at 11:32 PM, Griffinmarlins said:

I've been keeping up with this series for a long time now and didn't even notice the T Maple Leaf logo before. That is so genius and one of my favorite things you've done. Also, great job on the dugout jackets. Love how each has a unique look for every team. 

Thanks, guys!

On 5/21/2018 at 11:03 PM, Yee Yee Go 'Stros! said:

I know it might be too late, but could we just see the 'Stros set with the cursive script on all the jerseys?  I really liked the look of it.

Thank you. I'm thinking of making a "Houston" variant for a full set one of these days.

On 5/25/2018 at 12:35 PM, the admiral said:

I don't remember whether I ever gave those Brewers scripts proper credit but they're really impressive. Perfect update of my favorite Brewers uniforms, the tailed-script variations of the pinstripes.

The dugout jackets are interesting because they go in directions I wouldn't think to go in with them, which is to say the logos on the back and some of the other templates: UCLA stripes, contrasting sleeves. Lots of good ideas in there, the Arizona one in particular is terrific. On the Twins, I forgot what sort of application (if any) you had in mind for the Twin Cities script, but maybe that could be a quirk reserved for the jackets? I like seeing White Sox spelled out on the jackets, but I can't get down with red in their color palette.

Thanks! The Brewers scripts are among my favorite designs in the series.

I've long found that dugout jackets are a little boring, and I wanted to spice up their visual style to better reflect team uniforms. The "Twin Cities" script was more a "for funsies" thing on the main concept, but it looks good on the dugout jacket:

On0IXa8.png

Now, it's time for the National League East!

Let's start with an adjustment!

MONTRÉAL EXPOS, Adjustment - Shield Tweak

This one is a minor alternation. I made my Expos concept before the city added the white pine to their flag and crest. The update adds it to the center of the design, while also thinning out the red cross (making its proportions more Nordic than St. George's cross, but oh well).

MYoRUgs.png

6Zx4ed2.png

373o107.png

YFe9Jzp.png

I've made a similar tweak to the alternate take, the Voyageurs:

Ui1pTD0.png

Wfr9J0l.png

mWdckyN.png

ublQQfL.png

Up next, the dugout jackets!

THE DUGOUT JACKETS, PT. III: NL East

Atlanta Braves - A basic design that incorporates the team's previous jackets and the sock striping pattern on the cuffs and collars.

fs7Z0pa.png

Cincinnati Reds - I implemented the alternate take's script on this one, alongside Mr. Red on the back. The 19th century throwback has its own jacket, with the proper founding date for the current team. There's also a variant for the update I made.

WYjxEUo.pngDGDxGCh.png

jNrmlO5.png

Miami Marlins - I added the art deco-style stripes to the sleeves while balancing out the design with the "M" and Marlin patches. The fauxback has its own jacket.

lBArX9M.png2RJVOet.png

Montréal Expos - The jacket uses the shield (a relatively unique touch) as a crest, paired with asymmetrical sleeve striping.

gYEBjcM.png

New York Mets - The classic jacket returns for the primary (with a few tweaks), while the throwback revives an old concept of mine.

iypuqAa.png8txwRvZ.png

Philadelphia Phillies - The primary option features asymmetrical striping (to mimic the text/stars pattern) and Pitchin' Billy Pen, while the fauxback places the cap "P" on the placket with white sleeves and more powder blue trim.

riairLe.pngjk7ekwJ.png

Pittsburgh Pirates - The "P" takes precedence on this modernization of the 1960s jackets, with the team crest occupying the back.

fWF3HMp.png

Washington Nationals - The jackets emphasize the "DC" logo, while the sleeves use the flag-inspired striping.

owPDcfE.png

The NL West is next!

THE DUGOUT JACKETS, PT. IV: NL West

Chicago Cubs - I opted to modernize the 1980s jacket, with the addition of the Cub patch and the simplified National League logo (an homage to their current blue jerseys). I've always preferred the simplified league logos to their primary equivalents.

BAfIohY.png

Colorado Rockies - I wanted to have a bit of fun with this one, so I opted to emulate the 1996-2004 Utah Jazz uniforms for the mountain pattern. The 1993 throwback has period-correct adjustments (including the shooting ball, for a mild TATC look). The Colorado Day uniform was my attempt to turn the state flag into a jacket, with the addition of mountain striping.

NHNi2wg.pngLqd8od5.png

JrxMu5J.png

Houston Astros - There are two versions here. The first features the "Shooting Star" wordmark with tequila sunrise striping on the sleeves and trim, while the other is a modernization of the 1980s sweater.

1v4nKAJ.png1QCffFS.png

Los Angeles Dodgers - The first jacket recreates their classic design, while the road throwback option has grey sleeves and the primary logo on the back.

9wzlY10.pngCoydFwM.png

Milwaukee Brewers - I attempted to have a bit of continuity between these jackets, what with the script on chest/cap logo on sleeve/Owgust on the back design. The primary takes the sleeve inserts and contrast-colored pockets from the 1949 jacket while incorporating a simplified version of the sock stripe. I also made a BiG version for those whole prefer that update. The pinstripe throwback has its own jacket (with appropriate stripes and "Milwaukee" script), while the 1940s-'50s design uses appropriate graphics.

VS0AgR5.pngEZzBMOG.png

EWPX2W4.pnga0m3Lpe.png

St. Louis Cardinals - This one modernizes their vintage jackets with the Swingin' Cardinal from my alternate take. The sock stripes appear on the sleeves, while the team wordmark pops up on the back.

6VW2AH1.png

San Diego Padres - Each jacket uses an appropriately-colored Swingin' Friar logo and trim stripes that match the cap logo. The primary utilizes the brown/yellow contrast to its advantage (no white outlines, save for the Friar's keyline). The PCL alternate has a new "San Diego" script to match the "Padres" one, while the 1998 jacket pushes the "SD" to the forefront.

ztglzHU.pngGhrbqGO.png

mI8jjvU.png

San Francisco Giants - I figured I should utilize the "San Francisco" script from the current jackets, as it's so fantastic. The Gotham Day throwbacks use a recreation of the 1940s/1950s design, albeit with the team name on the back (because of the similar Mets design).

ZwxX5q1.png7VbAk1y.png

C+C is appreciated, as always!

The next ones up are the alternate takes!

These are all excellent! The Pirates, Rockies, and tequila sunrise Astros are probably my favorites.

The only one I'm not really feeling is Montreal. I'd either go with just the "M" logo on the front of the jacket, or, if you really wanted to go out there, make the placket the vertical red line of crest and have all four images from the crest on the jacket. 

18 hours ago, coco1997 said:

These are all excellent! The Pirates, Rockies, and tequila sunrise Astros are probably my favorites.

The only one I'm not really feeling is Montreal. I'd either go with just the "M" logo on the front of the jacket, or, if you really wanted to go out there, make the placket the vertical red line of crest and have all four images from the crest on the jacket. 

Thanks! I figured the shield might be a controversial choice. So, I've presented both options you suggested.

jUATwSa.pngFHh0Pwi.png

I like the first one, but I'm not thrilled with the second jacket. Still, it was a fun experiment.

9 minutes ago, Paul Lucas said:

Excellent work, brother.

Also, the San Diego and Cincinnati scripts look great.?? 

(wish you had given the Pirates that 1971 script)

Can be seen here:

11 seconds into the video.

Thanks! I think I might implement a facsimile of that script.

dde8c28410589f83f080c65eec247794.jpg

It's more "Pirate-y" than the 1990-2000 "Pittsburgh" script, I'll give it that.

Anyway, I've got a few alternate take updates!

CLEVELAND GUARDIANS, Adjustment - Fixing the stripes and recoloration.

I've done nothing radical with the reissue of this concept, outside of fixing the stripe on the jersey backs. I also made a navy/red/tan version of the concept, for fans who prefer that color scheme and to avoid alienating    the fans and 100+ years of navy/nearly 80 years of navy/red.

AssTJSK.png

OZRWnO8.png

Navy/Red:

DxYBa5x.png

C0tCIFT.png

S5lT2VP.png

PHOENIX SNAKES, Adjustment - Back in the Matrix

This is another little fix. I used Eriq Jaffe's old Diamondbacks NOB font for the vintage "Snakes" wordmark, and it predictably looked iffy. Since I downloaded Matrix Bold for my Flamingos concept, I figured it'd be good to redo the wordmark in that style (as it matched the 1998-2006 wordmark font). I also fixed a minor logo sheet error on the home/road uniforms (a miscolored Batterman).

Sm0RiyN.png

iPOhGgH.png

tHEZwqh.png

0EyF0QP.png

biGpxWd.png

ATLANTA FIREBIRDS, Adjustment - Dropping a bit of shadow

This one is a minor tweak and something I should have realized while designing the original. Colored lettering should not have white drop shadows on a dark background. I dumped the original alternate cap in favor of a new one, while also redistributing the colors on the black jersey. I also made the inner part of the Northwestern striped socks thinner.

F49j6zd.png

pdSzVn4.png

i9bhIZM.png

gjUkxCL.png

The Dugout Jackets will soon follow!

Thanks, guys!

@Paul Lucas, here's the Pirates jacket (based off of these Dock Ellis images).

TKmHjaP.png

Here's the first part of the alternate take jackets!

THE DUGOUT JACKETS - ALTERNATE TAKES, PT. I: AL East

Modern St. Louis Browns - I emphasized the bronze color on the sleeves, while placing the shield logo on the back and emulating the sock stripes on the trim pieces.

fLcvezp.png

Forest Green + Red Sox - This is a recoloration of my first Red Sox jacket.

svN3zeX.png

Modern Seattle Pilots - I emulated my Carolina Pilots template, with the addition of the Seattle colors and logos. I also modernized the classic Pilots jacket for the retro set.

oQ8h6bS.pngIM8xteT.png

Cleveland Guardians - This one was me having a bunch of fun with the striping pattern and emphasizing the "C" insignia. I also made a navy/red version from the update.

gvRbyct.pngWEfjAnD.png

Bengal-ized Tigers - Like with the striping on that concept, I just went crazy with the tiger stripes on the sleeves while placing the "Tiger escaping the D" logo on the chest.

kZXRCA2.png

Dugout Script + Red Accent Yankees - The first modernizes this jacket, while the 1927 set uses this logo on the Buck Showalter outerwear.

E4ul1Vi.png94GHMO0.png

Tampa Bay Rays "of Light" - Both the primary and fauxback sets have jackets, with the primary logo on the back and striping on the trim. The fauxback features the interlocking TB.

Rvy6JuW.pngHoVsYzb.png

Salvaging the Black Jays - I emulated the logo's colors in the sleeve striping, with a plentiful emphasis on the light blue and the maple leaf patch.

8d16Hyl.png

Up next, the AL West!

THE DUGOUT JACKETS - ALTERNATE TAKES, PT. II: AL West

Anaheim Angels' Navy/Red Revival - It's a recoloring of the first Angels jacket I made.

rHsQpDk.png

Phoenix Snakes/Update - This guy is a tweak of my original set of Diamondbacks jackets, albeit adjusted for the new name. I made a new alternate logo with the 1998-2006 "D-snake," while adding the TATC snake graphic on the sleeves.

EFhXkp4.pngdFwjDhX.png

Chicago White Sox' Greyscale goodness - This takes the first White Sox jacket and recolors it to black/white/grey (I'm sure @the admiral will enjoy it), and I made a new piece of outerwear for the 1959 alternate (with an appropriate road wordmark). I thought it was redundant to repost the 1917, as its the same as the first one.

CmjEgPM.png goUy16H.png 

Kansas City Royals' Royal Blue + Metallic Gold - I again recolored the first jacket, using the "KC" logo to avoid a Dodgers comparison.

AkAuMVX.png

Twin Cities Twins/Update - I based it off of my previous Twins jacket, albeit with new logos, more of the secondary color, and the "Twins" wordmark.

9hBY8o3.png

Oakland Oaks/Update - This one uses the tri-stripe pattern on the trim and a one-color "Oaks" script, to avoid redundancy with the road alternate.

mXMlKPy.png

Seattle Mariners' Royal/Yellow - This one modernizes the early Pilots jacket, with the nautical knot appearing on the white sleeves.

DfzZK7m.png

Dallas Chaparrals - I used the home wordmark on the black jacket, while using blue stripes on the shoulders (to mimic the bird logo's coloration).

rZuQPuY.png

Up next, the NL East!

THE DUGOUT JACKETS - ALTERNATE TAKES, PT. III: NL East

Atlanta Firebirds/Update - It's similar to the main Braves jacket, but with a few added touches (e.g., the WINGA DINGA arm flames). The throwback uses the 1976-79/80 road script, for added throwback-iness.

sZSmKHS.pngBFH1lqM.png

Cincinnati Reds with Fancy Block, scripts, and black highlights - This primary adds black to the original jacket, while the 1940-styled option mimics the color balance of the throwback cap.

ruDRSYk.pngBdSnyUE.png

Florida Flamingos/Update - I opted to use the "Florida" wordmark, along with pink sleeves and the alternate logo on the back.

oWG8tAL.png

Montréal Voyageurs/White Pine Tweak - I added a bit more red to the Expos' jacket design, while also employing the Bill 101-friendly "Voyageurs" script.

3thTESk.png

New York Mets in Black and Pink Windowpanes - The primary jacket has a pink/white version of the modified 1987 script and Mr. Met on the back, while the alternate features Mr. Met as the primary crest.

0LNRL30.pngniVhWPF.png

Philadelphia Phillies with Blue and Gold, a keystone, and William Penn/Update - The primary jacket modifies my throwback design for the Phillies, while the 1970-91 style uses a racing stripe and my modded "Phillies" wordmark (no swirl, as I don't like it).

53mKac1.pnghy3iZx5.png

Pittsburgh Pirates with Tuscan Font and Updated Pirate/Update - It's a tweak on my first Pirates design, albeit with the new "P," different trim stripes, and a new set of logos.

vNx1den.png

Washington Nationals with salvaged beveling/Update - This one uses asymmetric trim and the "W" logo on the front. I figured that the jacket would be the perfect place to emphasize the particular mark.

kgPyj21.png

Coming up and closing out the series (again), the NL West!

On 6/2/2018 at 5:28 PM, coco1997 said:

Those flames on the Firebirds sleeves would look badass in real life. Once again, incredible work!

Thanks! I thought it had a bit of a Winga Dinga/Flavourtown touch (perfect for guys at cruise nights, showing off their C3 Corvettes) and tied in well with the Braves' old feather sleeves.

THE DUGOUT JACKETS - ALTERNATE TAKES, PT. IV: NL West

Chicago Cubs - The 1930's Modernization - This one is a revision of my first jacket, albeit with the jersey scripts and a different cub.

EbBgRIt.png

Denver Zephyrs/Purple & Light Blue - I decided to feature uniform-style striping and the fauxback script on the back. Side note: the purple/powder blue version is my preferred color scheme/jacket.

Re6IcaK.pngQlOvjGc.png

Houston Astros - 1994-99 gradient - We've got some lovely gradient sleeves and collars, for that extra 1990s touch!

ZUWMjpU.png

Houston Railmen /Revised - I turned the tertiary logo into a badge, with sleeve inserts designed to allude to the "track" pattern.

8AA6a7X.png

Los Angeles Angels - The standard jacket features the asymmetrical UCLA-style stripes, while the throwback is a "Brooklyn-ized" version of my previous Dodgers jacket.

51VaeSi.png   ikgHnvh.png

Milwaukee Brewers - Rescuing the Germanic Style - The one follows the template of previous Brewers jackets, albeit with modified 1994-99 logos. I made a green version for that specific update (I'm not keen on the whole "Shamrock Series" look, but it's decent).

TdKdlTb.pngIpjTyq0.png

St. Louis Cardinals - 1956 Modernization - It's an adjustment of my previous jacket, featuring the "STL" as the insignia and the Swingin' Cardinal on the sleeve.

uBY1wWd.png

San Diego Padres - Surf's Up in Navy and Brown/Light Blue/Yellow - This one uses trim stripes that mimic the cap logo. I've made versions for all of the color schemes, including brown/yellow and brown/orange.

jnbgfbB.png4FM0Jdu.png

Ep1YL3A.png  rEq8AHR.png

San Francisco Seals - I featured the seal logo on the back and bronze in the stripes while revising the "Gotham Day" jacket to fit with the different orange shade and "Giants" wordmark.

7lcNzgU.pngEk9iPXd.png

...and that's the ballgame! Thank you for tuning in to this addendum to the series. What's next for me? Well, I'll give you a hint!

XDiEQ64.png

Thanks, guys, and I'll see you guys soon!

ezgif.com-resize.gif.3c935a348877765852a

Great designs all around! This dugout jacket series was a nice, unexpected addition to your Project 32 series. Could we see a version of the Railmen jacket with just the "H" on the front?

As always, the teaser for your next project looks absolutely tantalizing. Hope we get to see it soon!

I think your jacket with the Brewers script on the front and BiG on the sleeve is the best of all possible worlds.  But that green Germanic one looks suprisingly sharp... was NOT expecting that.

I especially enjoyed your alt history scenarios too.  Especially the LA Angels (Dodgers), Flamingos, and Firebirds.  And I can already tell by your teaser that alt history has a thing or two to do with your next project, which I am very much looking forward to. :)

Archived