Sign in to follow this  
Luke13T

Hawaii Volcanoes - Fictional Baseball Team

Recommended Posts

I decided to continue with Northwest fictional baseball teams. The Seattle Volcanoes. The team name Volcanoes I really liked and I created the primary logo. I needed a city and I was deciding between Seattle and Honolulu ultimately going with Seattle because of the color scheme. Unlike my Portland team, I do have the files and I can update so C&C is very much appreciated.

SeaVolcanoes.thumb.jpg.5287383401fffec9dcb96c2b298b060b.jpg

*Uniforms soon to come*

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hate to break it to you. but what I'm getting with this is design for some type of kids toy branding from 1989. Color scheme is rough and the nature of the rendering looks too much like an illustration. Between a "V" and a volcano there's no indication of Seattle. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Brave-Bird 08 said:

Hate to break it to you. but what I'm getting with this is design for some type of kids toy branding from 1989. Color scheme is rough and the nature of the rendering looks too much like an illustration. Between a "V" and a volcano there's no indication of Seattle. 

I have changed the color scheme and made a Hawaii wordmark instead of Seattle. I also *think* that I have cleaned up the lines.

4 hours ago, ahowe6464 said:

I think Honolulu would have made more sense.

Like @Brave-Bird 08 said, there's no real connection to Seattle. 

Honolulu is too long so I just went with Hawaii.

 

SeattleVolcanoesLogoSheet.thumb.png.191d61086b7257e3227ee53b2548120e.png

I don't know how I feel with Hawaii under the primary so feedback on that would be nice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Logo coloring looks better for sure. You definitely should incorporate "Hawaii" into the primary, but I don't think that's the best spot for it, especially since it overlaps with the V. I'd say this type of idea would work great as a roundel, with the volcano-V logo (with Hawaii removed) would make a good secondary/alternate logo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

HawaiiVolcanoesPrimaryLogo.thumb.jpg.adb73778f95fdeecc8fbed84385c4ff7.jpg

On 5/25/2017 at 5:39 AM, ahowe6464 said:

Logo coloring looks better for sure. You definitely should incorporate "Hawaii" into the primary, but I don't think that's the best spot for it, especially since it overlaps with the V. I'd say this type of idea would work great as a roundel, with the volcano-V logo (with Hawaii removed) would make a good secondary/alternate logo.

The roundel was hard to make look good and I don't think I nailed but I don't know what else to do. Any suggestions?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd try bringing back the orange.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't think you need the striping. Also, I'd space "Hawaii" much further out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe this could be a cool throwback?

IMG_8886.JPG

IMG_8887.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've watched this thread for a bit and I think my issue is, that minus the V, the volcano logo doesn't really stand on its own. The only real parallel i can draw here is the Colorado Rockies mountain logo. Absent of any type, the logo is instantly clear. Looking to Google Images a bit, I think any Volcano logo would need more contouring on the slopes to create 3-dimensionality and a more active cone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Your roundel logo has potential to be a very strong mark but right now you have alot of negative space & the design still looks busy if that makes sense (remember less is more) & outlines that are not really necessary IMO also your letters have some kerning issues. We the viewer see this HA W AII. With more time & work invested you can get this logo to where you can be happy & proud of it. Look up reference material to help you better grasp your concept idea.  Here are a few that can help. Keep at it, look forward to seeing the progress on this.

Image result for volcanoes logo

Related image

Related image

Related image

Image result for volcano logo

Related image

Related image

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here are two very rough sketches of new roundels. They are in an early stage so dimensions and other elements are not going to be perfect. I just wanted to get some feedback on the shape and concept.

20170529_112522.thumb.jpg.6765f0f8acc5b65b2a11b6263a8ca5a2.jpg

For this one, I decided to play with the idea of spelling out Hawaii with the lava instead of abruptly end it. I know it doesn't look good now so I just want to know if I should look into it digitally (and much cleaner) or do something different.

 

20170527_213212.thumb.jpg.b5baf6068fb60c968afc5e3116e2c7bc.jpg

Again, on this one there is a lot of cleaning up to do especially with dimensions. Also, "HAWAII" will not really be that bland and generic. I will try and have either more sketches or digital art by Friday or Saturday. Thanks for all comments and suggestions!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know why I'm giving this away, but I have been sitting on a font for a Hawaiian baseball team concept... the font is called Kordes:

 

2cfdb0fdd9152c909f874e2e9dacb185.png

 

It is a perfect blend of old-school baseball with a twist of Hawaiian, might help shape this project!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/31/2017 at 1:35 PM, TheLogoManiac13 said:

 

20170529_112522.thumb.jpg.6765f0f8acc5b65b2a11b6263a8ca5a2.jpg

For this one, I decided to play with the idea of spelling out Hawaii with the lava instead of abruptly end it. I know it doesn't look good now so I just want to know if I should look into it digitally (and much cleaner) or do something different.

 

I like the direction this one is taking! :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Haven't had internet this weekend so this one is a bit late. I could not make the lava "Hawaii" work so I just ditched it.HawaiiPrimary6517.thumb.jpg.db9f7f4489aecfe5fb03312873dc2cec.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice work! But give the "Hawaii" a color that pops more, e.g. yellow or white and also maybe color the white background in the badge in yellow or grey to fill it out. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Captain Tsubasa said:

Nice work! But give the "Hawaii" a color that pops more, e.g. yellow or white and also maybe color the white background in the badge in yellow or grey to fill it out. :)

I changed the Hawaii to yellow and instead of filling the background, I put baseball stitches.

HawaiiPrimary6717.thumb.jpg.e2601b85cb493594c54148b686bf1fc1.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just want to say I'm impressed by how much this design has evolved. Kudos for the hard work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this