New York Town Ball

Big Yellow Flag

Just now, Whittier S said:

The dollar sign is a miss to me. Maybe use the Staten Island Lighthouse for the I part?

I was worried about that. I have a neighborhood team almost done (I had a moment of inspiration and ran with it), and then I'll look into, maybe not using the lighthouse (I don't know if I have skills for that yet), but certainly fixing their logo (and maybe bringing the little boat back).

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Had some laptop issues, but I quite like this one. I said @Paul Lucas had listed all of the neighborhoods I lived in, but I technically live just across the unofficial border from one of those. I actually live in a tiny neighborhood whose name, according to a legend written into history by Washington Irving, came from a man who tried to swim across the creek to warn of British invasion in spite of the Devil, or to use the original Dutch, en spijt den Duyvil.

Spuyten Duyvil

t94kQW4.png

Cap: White crown. The logo lost something when I made it one color, so both blue and red were out of the question, and I didn't want to add a third color. Also, I've always loved white crowns. I don't really know why. Blue brim, since too much red at the top and then almost nothing the rest of the way down would be kind of weird.

Logo: With a name like Spuyten Duyvil, I couldn't resist doing what I did. Borrowing from the Padres, the original S & D they used is featured in two colored glory, with red for the devil and blue for the creek Anthony Van Corlaer crossed. I used the blue much more throughout, because the creek is real and the devil, believe it or not, still maintains his residence in Trenton, but the D and the horns on the S are still red (they are, of course, devil related).

Jersey: Kept it nice and simple. We do see some piping there, two thin blue lines (lots of blue lines) to be creek-like. The same idea is reflected at the ends of the sleeves. The horned SD makes an appearance on the chest, making for a jersey that is clean and crisp, much like most of the neighborhood, which is very much quiet and suburban.

Pants: Something a little weird in the belt area, which will be featured throughout the neighborhood teams. The belt loops are blue and red, the same blue and red worn by The Bronx. Brooklyn teams will have blue and white, Manhattan black and orange, etc., as a sort of tribute to the "parent club." Thin blue line down either side of the pants, for the same reason as the jersey.

Socks: Creek blue with four devil red stripes, honestly just because they looked good. I tried six (as a little nod back to the whole devil thing), but it looked crowded.

Going into a Jewish holiday tonight, but I think you'll see another team Thursday night.

Thoughts? Comments? Suggestions? Deletions? Expletives? Explanations? Et cetera?

10 hours ago, Big Yellow Flag said:

I was worried about that. I have a neighborhood team almost done (I had a moment of inspiration and ran with it), and then I'll look into, maybe not using the lighthouse (I don't know if I have skills for that yet), but certainly fixing their logo (and maybe bringing the little boat back).

You can do a silhouette. Just break it down to its basic shapes. That's the first step in learning to draw well. :-)

rATMcmK.png

Bigger horns looked garish, so I scrapped that, and will leave the small horns as a slightly more subtle nod to the devilish history of the neighborhood's name. 

An update to this city's least favorite borough. The dollar sign is gone, replaced by a somewhat modern look that I like but I'm not sure why. There was an attempt at the lighthouse, but I just couldn't make it work with my skill set. I might come back to it at some point in the future. Also featuring is a small ferry riding the Tequila Ocean waves, blue instead of orange to follow the rules. Not 100% sold on it, might scrap it or replace it with a slightly less literal and more metaphorical sailboat.

Staten Island

BnEVTop.png

Another neighborhood, coming next, having decided where just yet. Maybe something with only one initial.

I was looking for somewhere with only one initial, but I got another little bolt of inspiration and ended up in one of my favorite neighborhoods. Cyclones baseball is cheap, women on the beach are attractive, and it's only one long subway ride all the way to the end. There's nothing quite like a Sunday on the Boardwalk, with a game at 11:30, some Rita's, and a stroll along the water. You're probably here for the design and not my own summer plans, so here we are.

Coney Island

wVs6S8a.png

I tried for something mostly traditional, with just enough wacky and fun, kind of like Coney Island itself. Going from cap to socks in a more organized fashion below.

Colors: The original Nathan's Famous is still standing on Coney Island, and the colors here are taken from that logo. I originally toyed with blue and yellow before I decided that we had too much blue in this series (I really do) and I didn't want them to play Cyclones dress-up anyway. Luna Park's logo is blue and orange, so that was out, so Nathan's it was.

Cap: Green crown, red brim. The logo has been recolored to be all red so that you can, you know, see the whole thing.

Logo: Again, traditional with a bit of wacky. A C with an I in the gap, plus a ferris wheel in the middle. Coney Island has two amusement parks, Luna Park and Wonder Wheel, not to mention a couple of rides that are just rides, and the Wonder Wheel is on the National Register of Historic Places, so adding a nod to that was a must.

Jersey: You may have noticed that most teams in this series have a logo on the chest instead of a wordmark, which is because I don't know how to curve text. If/when I figure out how, I hope to feature that more. In the meantime, we have the logo in its full color glory, The piping is green down the chest, and both sleeves have a stripe, one green and one red.

Pants: Standard Brooklyn loops are blue and white over a green belt (might have to make that red, the color balance is a little off). Green stripe down either leg were originally one green, one red to match the sleeves, but that looks a little too kooky.

Socks: Green with lots of red stripes (or are they red with lots of green stripes?).

Not sure where I'm going next, but we'll go somewhere.

Thoughts? Comments? Suggestions? Deletions? Expletives? Explanations? Et cetera?

1 hour ago, Paul Lucas said:

Not sure about the one red sleeve. But everything else looks good...love the socks. 

It wasn't working. I tried to make it work, but everything I tried made it worse. So here's Coney Island V2, an all-green team. I'm still considering making the piping red, just because it's very heavy on green at the moment, but I don't know.

fxCymvs.png

24 minutes ago, BigBryArab said:

would love to see Manhattans "Harlem" alternates

Harlem will be coming, but not yet. I need to, you know, come up with something.

Another neighborhood will be coming up soon.

Because green and red are about equal in intensity, you really need a different colored outline when you're putting one of those colors next to the other, at least on the hat. I'm not sure I'm sold on having the cap logo in one colorway and the jersey logo in another.

rATMcmK.png

14 minutes ago, Whittier S said:

Because green and red are about equal in intensity, you really need a different colored outline when you're putting one of those colors next to the other, at least on the hat. I'm not sure I'm sold on having the cap logo in one colorway and the jersey logo in another.

Added a thin line between green and red. I haven't figured out how to do the same on the green cap, so I've added an alternative white cap (lots of those going on in this world) with the properly colored logo. I'm quite satisfied with this, actually. One of my favorites thus far.

hS4fo8J.png

A hint for next team: All the men and women merely players; They have their exits and their entrances.

31 minutes ago, Whittier S said:

Broadway!

Ding ding ding!

Although it's technically the Theater District, this club is playing as Broadway, because, well, duh. I based their jersey on the 80s White Sox and every college team ever since, which lent itself to what I wanted to convey. The cap and logo do look a bit like a Manhattan recolor, but this is a Manhattan sub-team, so I didn't think it mattered. Without further ado...

Broadway

CdEEohg.png

Logo: Big yellow circle with a B. The circle is one of those marquee lights you'll see if you actually walk down Broadway on many though certainly not all of the theaters, it's a look I've always loved. The B stands for Broadway.

Colors: This squad's colors are taken from Playbill, something which is synonymous with Broadway for a reason. That reason is that you get one every time you go to a show, and they all look the same PLAYBILL in black on yellow at the top and then a poster for whatever show you're seeing.

Cap: Black with a yellow brim. Logo is a yellow circle with a big black B. Early drafts had just a yellow circle, no letter, which was more symbolic of the whole idea here but which made it a cap for our sun and for people who really like yellow circles.

Jersey: Obviously inspired by the 80s White Sox. The red and blue are replaced by black and yellow, and the stripes are embellished with those marquee lights from before, yellow on black surrounding BROADWAY in black on yellow. For the sleeves and the collar, I just went with the whole Sox thing, didn't want to mess with anything too far.

Pants: Yellow belt held up with standard Manhattan loops, black and orange. No striping, I thought the jersey was, you know, garish enough that I could keep the pants simple.

Socks: Black stirrups over white, with yet one more line of nice marquee lights.

In my perfect world, Broadway would have a large collection of different caps, representing prominent shows on stage now and in the past, so you'd see them break out a Hamilton cap to play Spuyten Duyvil one night, and then host Coney Island the next day wearing Lion King on their heads. We might see some of those in the future, and we'll definitely see a team tomorrow night after the Sabbath. I might be venturing outside the City for the next one, I haven't decided.

Just a quick update as I head off into the Sabbath. I had a great idea for the next team, heading up into north to our first team outside the city limits, but I need a very specific font to make it all work. As such, I might wait until I find that font (I made a Reddit post already), or I might put that aside and keep working when I come back.

If I decide to wait for the font, your clue is: Family Fun Since 1928. If I don't, then we'll see what comes next.

Okay, font found, and we're going outside the city limits to southern Westchester. This was one of my favorite places to go as a kid (probably because I hadn't been down to Hershey yet). They call it Rye Playland, and it was home to the best ride I've ever ridden (also that I've probably grossly inflated in my head, but whatever), the Dragon Coaster. This was an old school wooden coaster (I still love wooden coasters), and it's famous even outside the region (it was in Fatal Attraction, Big, and a Mariah Carey video). When I turned to do my first team outside the boroughs, I knew it was going to be a Dragon Coaster-inspired squad.

Rye

hYTivFX.png

Logo and colors: For inspiration, I used this very, very old Dragon Coaster car, a reminder of simpler times. I went searching for a closely matching font, and found something suitable that (added bonus!) came with an outline/fillable version. The colors come from the cart, the logo is a big letter R, green outlined in gold, also featured on the chest.

Cap: Possibly the first solid cap so far in this series, we have the green R outlined in gold on a green cap. In other words, we have a gold R outline.

Jersey: Rye appears very bigly across the chest in the standard colors. Gold stripes on either sleeve. Kept it nice and clean, in keeping with the old school look of the coaster. Nothing too fancy.

Pants: We see here the first appearance of New York's official townball colors on the belt loops, the blue of the seal and the tan from the border (see top left) holding up a nice green belt.

Socks: They're gold with a thick-ish green stripe at the top featuring the only nod to the ride's namesake: Forked tongue striping. I don't have anything else to say. I think it looks pretty cool. Nice nod to the coaster.

Back to the boroughs next. Haven't decided where.

I love how you took advantage of how short the name is and just made that the centerpiece of the design. That indigo color in the belt loop really brings a necessary contrast into the palette, and I'd like to see a touch of it elsewhere in the uniform. Even though I know that's what you've been doing with the belt loops, you want to consider contrast within a palette, and the green and gold are just too similar in saturation. A little pop of that indigo will resolve the issue. It would also be good to carry that striping on the socks onto the sleeve trim.

rATMcmK.png

I didn't want to use the indigo since that's the New York color, but you were right about it needing something old new borrowed blue. The first edition with blue used it somewhat sparingly. The forked tongue striping now appears on the sleeves as well, alternating gold-blue-gold, and the cap is blue with a green brim.

Option A

AVnomqS.png

But, I didn't stop there. I quite liked that blue, and it looked nice next to the green and everything else, so I mostly abandoned the gold for a second option, making this a green/blue team with gold accents.

Option B

XF9qjgj.png

I'll be honest, this next one may have been my favorite thus far. I grew up reading comic books about a certain redhead from Riverdale with two very attractive girlfriends, and wishing that I lived in that Riverdale (because Pop Tate's food is probably really good) instead of the real one. This is probably the direction I would have gone with this team regardless, but especially with the surging popularity of the TV show, there was no other way to go.

Riverdale

tF8lF57.png

Those who read the comic books will recognize the inspiration here immediately. Although they've been moving away from it in recent years, Archie's classic look for decades was a black vest with a big yellow R for Riverdale and blue piping over a white shirt (green bow tie optional). I've taken his look and brought it to the baseball field.

Cap: Although Archie's sweater seems to imply that the school's major colors are black and yellow, any appearance by the Riverdale High Bulldogs in the comics shows them wearing blue and yellow (This really was my childhood). For the Riverdale town ball squad, I've put them in a blue cap with a yellow R (not unlike the football helmets), with a black brim to tie everything together a bit.

Jersey: Our first vest of the series makes its appearance. A black jersey with some blue sleeve piping over white, with a yellow R on the chest. My thanks to Bob Montana & Co. for making this one so easy.

Pants: One place where this concept originally looked drastically different. Early drafts had them wearing those atrocious orange pants Archie still wears (at one point even with the checkers of the 1960s). It looked bad, so they're white now. Black belt with The Bronx loops.

Socks: Had a little bit of fun here. Blue socks in keeping with that blue and yellow primary. The striping (eight stripes, alternating black and yellow) are a nod to two things. First, the local public school, PS 141/RKA, which plays sports as the Tigers wearing blue and yellow. The second is our area code (which is also used in Brooklyn and Queens, but that's not the point), 718 (7+1=8).

That's ten teams in the book, definitely making this the longest I've ever stuck with a graphic design project. I'm nowhere near done, but my thanks to @Whittier S (again) and @Paul Lucas for sticking with me and giving me feedback throughout. It's much appreciated.

Where are we going next? I have no idea. I'm thinking somewhere in Brooklyn.

Archived