MLB Redesigns Series

MJD7

Great start with the DBacks and the Braves! Really unique concepts for both of them (and for the rest of teams, I'm sure) which contrast with the Majors current average look.

I'd like to see a cap with the white front for the Braves home uniform.

• Replies 474
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I was trying to figure out which team was which on the graphic in your first post, I was pretty sure Washington was going to be the red and yellow one, so this came as a nice surprise. This scheme works surprisingly well for Atlanta, however, I agree with @Carolingian Steamroller that the mono-red look is a little much.

Keep up the great work!

4 hours ago, Victormrey said:

Great start with the DBacks and the Braves! Really unique concepts for both of them (and for the rest of teams, I'm sure) which contrast with the Majors current average look.

I'd like to see a cap with the white front for the Braves home uniform.

Thank you! And yea that's definitely a possible combination, here's what it would look like:

592dd75273e79_AtlantaBravesHome.thumb.png.f55a8e79219fda6a0ce7d25365509aff.png

6 hours ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

I really like the home uniform. However, despite my love for chromatic road uniforms I think the solid red is just a little too harsh. 

4 hours ago, coco1997 said:

When I was trying to figure out which team was which on the graphic in your first post, I was pretty sure Washington was going to be the red and yellow one, so this came as a nice surprise. This scheme works surprisingly well for Atlanta, however, I agree with @Carolingian Steamroller that the mono-red look is a little much.

Keep up the great work!

Thank you both! And yea I understand, I'd probably agree. What do you think could be an alternative though? I tried breaking up the red with some yellow. I don't think all yellow would look good.

10 minutes ago, MJD7 said:

Thank you both! And yea I understand, I'd probably agree. What do you think could be an alternative though? I tried breaking up the red with some yellow. I don't think all yellow would look good.

Why not just go with a traditional gray road uniform?

35 minutes ago, coco1997 said:

Why not just go with a traditional gray road uniform?

28 minutes ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

This may sound boring, but I'd just go with a traditional grey. A neutral color is a good way to off set the heat from the red and yellow.

That was one of the goals of the series, to avoid regular gray whenever possible. I could maybe try an anthracite color, or incorporating black throughout the set, but I still think red would look better than anthracite or regular gray.

56 minutes ago, MJD7 said:

That was one of the goals of the series, to avoid regular gray whenever possible. I could maybe try an anthracite color, or incorporating black throughout the set, but I still think red would look better than anthracite or regular gray.

I'd stick with the red, then. I've looked at it a few more times since my original post and it's grown on me a bit. 

4 hours ago, coco1997 said:

I'd stick with the red, then. I've looked at it a few more times since my original post and it's grown on me a bit. 

Alright. Looking into the future, the Braves won't be the only team with a look that might seem a little unconventional at first, it's one of the side effects of trying to make the league more colorful I guess.

And as a side note to let everybody know, the two expansion teams in the Central have switched leagues in order to have better color distribution throughout the respective divisions.

11 hours ago, MJD7 said:

Alright. Looking into the future, the Braves won't be the only team with a look that might seem a little unconventional at first, it's one of the side effects of trying to make the league more colorful I guess.

And as a side note to let everybody know, the two expansion teams in the Central have switched leagues in order to have better color distribution throughout the respective divisions.

I'd actually go the other way and opt for gold. It has some usage in MLB from the Padres and A's. Anthracite is a definite no, since its the most abused shade in sports right now. You could opt for a light grey (did the Astros do this with the late-stage sunrise uniforms?) or just go with red over white like its the double knit era. 

1 hour ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

I'd actually go the other way and opt for gold. It has some usage in MLB from the Padres and A's. Anthracite is a definite no, since its the most abused shade in sports right now. You could opt for a light grey (did the Astros do this with the late-stage sunrise uniforms?) or just go with red over white like its the double knit era. 

1 hour ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

Maybe red over red with a white front cap or white sleeves 

Alright so here are just a bunch of options I'd like to present to all of you, to see what works best:

A couple that incorporate black into to the color scheme

592ee4499e0d2_AtlantaBravesAway.thumb.png.60772a30f6998b8c3d30dc3965443a27.png592ee45199192_AtlantaBravesAway3.thumb.png.1424f72d3d05716811394e9d80568d5b.png

Anthracite (I don't like it either, but it's at least worth a look)

592ee47f44fe3_AtlantaBravesAway2.thumb.png.b34404ddbbbd433c2fa6bcb34b8858c0.png

Contrasting sleeves (if this one is chosen, the home would be given red sleeves as well)

592ee4b9dce5a_AtlantaBravesAway4.thumb.png.4ef6e61030fe1a82abdfeb44206a33a6.png

And yellow

592ee4d16881d_AtlantaBravesAway5.thumb.png.8960ebc8fa457fb7acbabbb09cd4f15a.png

I'd love to hear what all of you think would work best!

Up to the plate for a redesign today are the Baltimore Orioles:

Logos

59302157b69ab_BaltimoreOriolesLogos.thumb.png.7e68fea83aaedc3e31b16fa43e28143b.png

-It had to be the Orioles or the Giants to make the color switch. Although the scheme doesn't quite make sense with the colors of an actual oriole, it has historical precedence with the St. Louis Browns before them, and also seems to fit in well with the area.

-The logos otherwise remain unchanged, besides the orange jersey becoming the away.

Uniforms

59302293ed138_BaltimoreOriolesHome.thumb.png.0fa2a2342e64b440a54c105738bc958e.png5930229ba2d9b_BaltimoreOriolesAway.thumb.png.909ef11ad82c5ecc87b78c15ad40420e.png593022a38752c_BaltimoreOriolesAlternate1.thumb.png.60326af2708a8b4b4a0ccd1a83f60a98.png593029560b081_BaltimoreOriolesAlternate2.thumb.png.24ccc4bb756aba50b6a15f97f1058ae5.png

-The striping is my own attempt to incorporate the Maryland flag in some way, something that has been tried many times before. I did my version with one brown and one orange stripe, with a 'mix' stripe in the middle looking like part of the Maryland flag. This style also allows the common sock pattern of the Orioles to be brought in to match, since that also has two white stripes.

-For the alternate jerseys, the stripe that matches the jersey color was switched to the opposite color to prevent asymmetry, if that makes sense.

That's about all I've got for today. As always, C+C would be appreciated.

6 minutes ago, coco1997 said:

Great job! The brown has historical precedence with the St. Louis Browns, so it works.

Not to nitpick, but Matt Wieters isn't on the Orioles anymore. ;)

Fixed, haha. Not sure why I didn't just have Adam Jones in the first place.

11 hours ago, mamiller99 said:

I'm a fan of that black jersey, maybe as an alt or Sunday jersey. Could have black panels with a yellow (or red) front and bill?

If I incorporated black now, I think it would be too difficult to bring in to the other uniforms and still makes things cohesive. I might save red and black for another team down the line though..

Archived