MJD7

MLB Redesigns Series

Recommended Posts

9 minutes ago, mee said:

How would the 2nd shade of purple in the tequila look?

Not bad, but kind of bright:

59440d9600fd6_HoustonAstrosAway.thumb.png.af9f041805b851bf2293b777ae4156e9.png

 

I'm not sure, I might want to brighten the darkest shade of purple just a slight amount, so it doesn't look as black. What do you all think?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, MJD7 said:

Not bad, but kind of bright:

59440d9600fd6_HoustonAstrosAway.thumb.png.af9f041805b851bf2293b777ae4156e9.png

 

I'm not sure, I might want to brighten the darkest shade of purple just a slight amount, so it doesn't look as black. What do you all think?

 

Yeah, this is a little too Joker-y for my tastes, but if you find a happy medium between this and the darkest shade (which honestly looks navy to my eyes) you should have a winner. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love what you've done with your tweaks for the Tigers (outlines do help it out), and I'm a little blown away by your Astros concept. The purple (especially the blue-heavy shade you chose) and the side panels all look fantastic. I would suggest that you use the fourth option for your primary logo as a way to subtly incorporate the Tequila Sunrise pattern into the logo. A little goes a long way.

 

My one gripe with the concept, which is a gripe I have with the Astros' current set, is the font. Slab-serif fonts don't jive well with the "space age" aesthetic. I'd suggest going for something along the lines of the original shooting star set (as updated by Matt Malinoski):

 

8173269333_39a07d993b_o.png

 

,,,or this overlooked concept made by @the admiral:

 

astros concept3.jpg

 

A space age-styled font would really put this concept over the top.

 

Also, if you're having trouble blending shades, I have a tool for you: Meyerweb's color blender! I've used it on concepts before, and I really like it.

 

I hope this helps, and keep up the good work!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, coco1997 said:

 

Yeah, this is a little too Joker-y for my tastes, but if you find a happy medium between this and the darkest shade (which honestly looks navy to my eyes) you should have a winner. 

Here's an update on the set with a *slightly* more purple version of the shade. I also lightened up the second purple to blend better with the red.

594414171b2f4_HoustonAstrosLogos.thumb.png.281be9497fdf2e0803649b0bb41a82d7.png5944141e01e68_HoustonAstrosHome.thumb.png.b07ad9f56dffb157fd718b2f9d4ae940.png5944142745382_HoustonAstrosAway.thumb.png.957bd85d362730a7c9da53dec6ef1dac.png5944142fe5b21_HoustonAstrosAlternate1.thumb.png.ee1c4fe8e088a7998615d07e7a717d34.png5944143860e98_HoustonAstrosAlternate2.thumb.png.e884d83f4311e757f0325094f030ac49.png5944143fced86_HoustonAstrosFridayAlt.thumb.png.58eb257a86e8005e0f6bdc189ec46d6b.png59441447b55e4_HoustonAstrosGalaxyAlternate.thumb.png.1a5d79e91defdee675c929b16190aed8.png

 

7 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

I love what you've done with your tweaks for the Tigers (outlines do help it out), and I'm a little blown away by your Astros concept. The purple (especially the blue-heavy shade you chose) and the side panels all look fantastic. I would suggest that you use the fourth option for your primary logo as a way to subtly incorporate the Tequila Sunrise pattern into the logo. A little goes a long way.

 

My one gripe with the concept, which is a gripe I have with the Astros' current set, is the font. Slab-serif fonts don't jive well with the "space age" aesthetic. I'd suggest going for something along the lines of the original shooting star set (as updated by Matt Malinoski):

 

8173269333_39a07d993b_o.png

 

,,,or this overlooked concept made by @the admiral:

 

astros concept3.jpg

 

A space age-styled font would really put this concept over the top.

 

Also, if you're having trouble blending shades, I have a tool for you: Meyerweb's color blender! I've used it on concepts before, and I really like it.

 

I hope this helps, and keep up the good work!

Thank you for the kind words! I would agree with you on both fronts, the simple outlines for the Tigers really did wonders, and I also found the 4th Astros logo to be my personal favorite, so that is now designated as the primary.

 

As for updating the font, I'll start working on a set now that incorporates it! That color blender tool seems awesome too, I can definitely try that out in the process.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That new shade of purple is on point! Just what I hoped for.

 

As for the new font, while I agree with @SFGiants58, I think you'll still have to keep the alignment for the sunrise alt. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Alright here is a set using the space-age font, as suggested by @SFGiants58 and using the updated fonts from Uni-Watch poster Matt Malinoski. I kept the no outline wordmarks, as it allows them to be bolder and more modern. Is this look better? Worse? Let me know.

594467fdbd4ba_HoustonAstrosLogos.thumb.png.fc3a4f06a4c6607618c2631ec79cbc5c.png

5944665c7f956_HoustonAstrosHome.thumb.png.fe088788bd84cccd839183c1265d0b5b.png59446664ca5c1_HoustonAstrosAway.thumb.png.8e9c5a95274aac2019621c539fd84322.png5944666cdbba0_HoustonAstrosAlternate1.thumb.png.6a8c2c762e0531684b09318d69a6b392.png59446674b1838_HoustonAstrosAlternate2.thumb.png.c90d0132666cb9efec1a0b4ac4119b0c.png5944667bb46d9_HoustonAstrosFridayAlt.thumb.png.808f4a7175ec1f75f6061132260a1a7e.png59446683565b1_HoustonAstrosGalaxyAlternate.thumb.png.1f49bcb16b0965fc66e90a750f4e31d6.png

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's much better! I also like the new purple and the sans-serif font on the "Tequilla Sunrise" alternate (anything is better than the bold variations of Kabel).

 

However, I still have a few issues. First off, I'd credit Matt Malinoski for his work in updating the wordmarks. Second, I'd try to modify the primary logo and the H-star to get rid of any traces of the slab-serif font. The redesign would definitely feel more "complete" that way.

 

Keep it up!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

That's much better! I also like the new purple and the sans-serif font on the "Tequilla Sunrise" alternate (anything is better than the bold variations of Kabel).

 

However, I still have a few issues. First off, I'd credit Matt Malinoski for his work in updating the wordmarks. Second, I'd try to modify the primary logo and the H-star to get rid of any traces of the slab-serif font. The redesign would definitely feel more "complete" that way.

 

Keep it up!

Fixed the first issue, my apologies. And for the primary, are you saying maybe something like this? I'll adjust the name font of course if this works.

59444e419303a_Primary2.thumb.png.26be38b5ace6b49b8fedba9d6eceb3b0.png

1 hour ago, coco1997 said:

You just knocked it out of the park, my friend.

 

1 hour ago, coco1997 said:

Have you thought about putting numbers on the pants?

I really appreciate it. I hadn't thought about it before, though I know it is something they've done in their past. I could maybe try it out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This last round of updates has been some amazing work. The new shade of purple and the retro wordmarks really bring it all together. That new primary is a thing of beauty. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, MJD7 said:

Fixed the first issue, my apologies. And for the primary, are you saying maybe something like this? I'll adjust the name font of course if this works.

59444e419303a_Primary2.thumb.png.26be38b5ace6b49b8fedba9d6eceb3b0.png

 

I really appreciate it. I hadn't thought about it before, though I know it is something they've done in their past. I could maybe try it out.

 

I think you've hit into a winner here! Well done.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BenD said:

This last round of updates has been some amazing work. The new shade of purple and the retro wordmarks really bring it all together. That new primary is a thing of beauty. 

 

44 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

I think you've hit into a winner here! Well done.

Thank you both very much! I updated the post above with the new logos. I also made the 'H' slightly thicker, because that notch in the star posed by the removal of serifs was bugging me.

 

This concept has really come a long way today, I appreciate it, you all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Alright guys, moving on to another team with purple added to the scheme today... The Kansas City Royals!

 

Logos

5945230481474_KansasCityRoyalsLogos.thumb.png.223ca3b2f9ae6b18a9c0f2a5d80a7c6b.png

-I know, I know. I've resorted, as a few others have before me, to giving the Royals a purple and gold color scheme to signify their regality. However, I think it is a scheme that looks great, is underused, and really does differentiate them from the Dodgers (and the Brewers, in the case of this series), which is not a convenience but a necessity within the rules I have set for myself.

-I used my beloved Minnesota Vikings' shades of colors, as I felt those work well in a primarily purple-oriented set.

-I took the dropshadow motif seen in the real primary and applied it to all variants of logos throughout the set. I love the way flat purple letters look on a white background (and vice-versa) but I felt it needed a slight amount of yellow, which a shadow accomplishes.

 

Uniforms

594528acc4eee_KansasCityRoyalsHome.thumb.png.aeadac35054ac7ffbc887335b2caa301.png594528b4512c7_KansasCityRoyalsAway.thumb.png.650a51d55b25d1a5dcb3746160d22b2d.png594528bb2ba11_KansasCityRoyalsAlternate.thumb.png.aa362d34a34a831ac67f66b615148022.png594528c1f08a6_KansasCityRoyalsAlternate2.thumb.png.bcf6e8682d58a394186e4d1b90f5220d.png

-As hinted at in my MLB Color Rush series, a kingly ermine coat pattern is applied as the striping throughout all the uniforms to give them that regal feel.

-As also hinted at before, the Royals are the team I planned to feature a light purple road uniform for, as full-on purple or gold would likely be too strong for them.

-As I said, the set is primarily purple-centric. Outside of the second alternate jersey, gold is reduced to an accent color.

-There's only one, all-purple cap for them, though I thought about incorporating a crown pattern into the cap or possibly adding a gold one. Maybe even a white cap? Let me know whether I should do so or not.

 

And that's the Royals, let me know what you guys think.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really like what you've done with the Royals, especially the powder purple road uniform. 

 

How would the away and alts look with the ermine diamond pattern but without the white trim? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You've done a good job here. The color scheme (thanks for the shout-out), the drop shadows, and the ermine coat pattern are all fantastic. If you wanted to add gold to a cap, maybe just slap a gold bill on the gold alternate's cap. Keep it up! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, coco1997 said:

I really like what you've done with the Royals, especially the powder purple road uniform. 

 

How would the away and alts look with the ermine diamond pattern but without the white trim? 

Thank you. It doesn't look quite as good, in my opinion:

5945b455cf117_KansasCityRoyalsAway.thumb.png.cfbd5b1ef2c2ffc688519eed20cb495e.png5945b4deb23ba_KansasCityRoyalsAlternate.thumb.png.b867010d0c8bafae69c889041e55cf3b.png5945b589e0418_KansasCityRoyalsAlternate2.thumb.png.699c06c4ec009a699f4fe0e951d882db.png

5 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

You've done a good job here. The color scheme (thanks for the shout-out), the drop shadows, and the ermine coat pattern are all fantastic. If you wanted to add gold to a cap, maybe just slap a gold bill on the gold alternate's cap. Keep it up! 

Thank you. I'd probably prefer to just leave the cap all purple, but I might have to add a gold hat (with a purple brim) for possible clash matchups such as the Rockies. Though, I imagine the yellow jersey might be enough to accomplish differentiation.

 

Anyone else have any comments on the Royals?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, MJD7 said:

Thank you. It doesn't look quite as good, in my opinion:

 

Agreed. Seeing it now, I'd keep the white trim.

 

By the way, are you going to try the pant numbers on the Astros?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, coco1997 said:

 

Agreed. Seeing it now, I'd keep the white trim.

 

By the way, are you going to try the pant numbers on the Astros?

I did try them out, but personally wasn't a fan. They looked a little too old-timey and out of place for me.

 

I might just try some different things out for the Royals today, just for the sake of it. If anyone has any suggestions, I could try them out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.