United Major League (MLB Soccer X-Overs)

vicfurth

gL7FZId.png

Won't make a big production out of this (don't have all 30 teams done yet), but I've moved on from my NFL Soccer project for now. That was a good "beta" test, if you will, as I am still learning the game of soccer. Subsequently, I'm also learning the aesthetics of soccer. I'm hoping this concept (and eventually full project) will show some progress. 

This time, I'm working on creating new badges for every team. Some will be subtle differences from the real-life baseball team. Others will be 100% re-designs. This time, I've actually saved all the files so I can edit as critiques come in. :) So without further man-splaining, here's the first crossover: Los Angeles 

RxK2jVt.png

DyMFQr5.png

Not too much to explain here. You'll see in this project sometimes I get carried away with doing hoops all the time, but "The Angels" have a bit of variation. The home (red) kit has a pretty basic look. I chose two reds to help break apart the kit. I didn't want a huge red block of color coming at the viewer the whole time, a la Liverpool. I feel like this combats that a little bit. 

The away (white) kit also has hoops, but with a different feel. The one grey hoop directly above the crest is a tip-of-the-cap to the Angels' halo caps. You can also see a red yoke which represents the angels that everybody has on their shoulders...Or that could be Nike-style marketing BS. You be the judge. ;)

My favorite, though, is the 3rd. I wanted a complete recolor and, thankfully, the mid-90s provided some good inspiration for Los Angeles. Once put together, the kit is light blue-navy-light blue-navy in a row. I also re-colored the crest to match the new color scheme. 

Send some C&C love on these kits. Next up soon will be San Francisco FC.

Spurs2017_HomeSignature.png.d781df3b4d5c0e482d74d6a47c072475.pngDortmund2017_HomeSignature.png.277fd43b7b71e5d54e4c655f30c9a1e6.png

FFvDg7F.png

WZTskvc.png

Getting right into the design, the home kit had to be cream instead of white. To my knowledge, not many soccer teams use cream as their base color, so The Giants already get to be unique within the footballing world. The pattern is loosely-based on San Francisco's 1916 home uniform that featured a window-pane style plaid; they only lasted one season. I feel it adds to an already unique uniform.

The road blacks feature a stripe "gradient" from black to orange. No reason for using it other than I thought it looked great with the black and orange.

The thirds/clash kit feature a subtle two-tone design. The divide between the two colors is inspired by something in San Francisco (obviously). Extra "points" to whomever can guess what the wavy line represents, though I'm thinking someone will guess fairly quickly. 

Leave some comments and criticisms, if you so choose. Next up I'll be posting FC Cardinals (St Louis).

Spurs2017_HomeSignature.png.d781df3b4d5c0e482d74d6a47c072475.pngDortmund2017_HomeSignature.png.277fd43b7b71e5d54e4c655f30c9a1e6.png

Great start! Man, I'm in love with the Giants home kit.

Given UA will be making the MLB kits from 2020, how about using it as brand? It'd be more realistic, since the also make soccer kits (and you could take some ideas from them).

1 hour ago, Victormrey said:

Great start! Man, I'm in love with the Giants home kit.

Given UA will be making the MLB kits from 2020, how about using it as brand? It'd be more realistic, since the also make soccer kits (and you could take some ideas from them).

Good idea. I might mix brands too like most other leagues on earth. Thank you for the feedback. 

Image result for lombard street

What do I win? :P

These look great. I really like what you've got so far, and I'm looking forward to seeing where this is going. The one thing I have to say is I don't think the city of Anaheim would be very happy with you calling the Angels "Los Angeles".

2 hours ago, ItDoesntMatter said:

These look great. I really like what you've got so far, and I'm looking forward to seeing where this is going. The one thing I have to say is I don't think the city of Anaheim would be very happy with you calling the Angels "Los Angeles".

My guess would've been lines on a richter scale.

a2BRS8U.png

23 hours ago, ItDoesntMatter said:

You win...exposure in the design world. And no money. 

Did I do that right? Ha!

1 hour ago, raysox said:

Very very cool. Normally mashup concepts are hit or miss but I think you won me over with carefully redoing the Giants logo to a soccer ball. Good job!

Thanks. Be watching for the saint Louis update tonight. :)

s96PAII.png

Z41QmlB.png

For FC Cardinals, I took some inspiration for the crest from a certain Premier League team that I'm sure you can guess. The home red is a fairly simple jersey with cuff and shoulder striping; this is inspired by some of the Gas House Gang teams. I also added a sublimated Arch to the front.

The aways were actually pretty fun. The striping is the same but there's a simulated heather texture to the whole kit, matching the older Cardinals' uniforms.

The thirds are all navy with a subtle Arch in the shorts striping. The crest is also slightly recolored. 

Send some comments on this one! We're traveling to Arizona next. 

Archived