The Pointless Realignment Outpost

Lee.

Same-city teams are two teams in one market. Same-state teams are two teams in the same state.

I know the difference. Everyone knows the difference. It's been established. But thanks anyway. Feel free to keep repeating that though, if it helps you.

There's no rule against it because it's just something that's common sense. There's also no rule against a team in the Artic Circle, but the likelihood of it happening is basically nonexistent.

Leave ridiculous comparisons out of it. The odds of two same-city teams ending up in the same league is MUCH higher than the odds of a team being placed in the Arctic Circle. You sure you want to be the one introducing the concept of "common sense" into this discussion?

Did I say it was more likely to happen? No I didn't. I said there's no rule against it, but it's not likely to happen. Same with same-market teams in the same league. Maybe you don't quite understand grown-up talk. That or you just can't accept that you might actually wrong about something.

A 25-team league for the 25 states that has no major sports team (most likely basketball)

Northeast:

Vermont

New Hampshire

Maine

Connecticut

Rhode Island

East:

Delaware

South Carolina

Virginia

Kentucky

North:

Iowa

South Dakota

North Dakota

Wyoming

Nebraska

South:

Arkansas

Mississippi

Alabama

Kansas

New Mexico

West:

Alaska

Hawaii

Montana

Idaho

Nevada

IowaOaks.png

It looks more like a 24 team League rather than a 25 one. Regardless, I think this League would be better suited for four divisions and not five. Here's how I would restructure the League:

Atlantic:

Connecticut

Delaware

New Hampshire

Maine

Rhode Island

Vermont

South:

Alabama

Arkansas

Kentucky

Mississippi

South Carolina

Virginia

Great Plains:

Iowa

Kansas

Nebraska

New Mexico

North Dakota

South Dakota

Pacific:

Alaska

Hawaii

Idaho

Montana

Nevada

Wyoming

Note: Italicized State are new additions to the Division.

Regular Season:

40 (2H, 2A) games versus Division

36 (1H, 1A) games versus rest of League

Playoffs:

Division Winners are seeded #1 - #4 with the #1 Seed clinching the best record.

Four wild card winners, regardless of Divisions, are seeded based on regular season record.

Note: If teams are tied, then the initial tiebreaker would be W-L record against each other, followed by record versus common opponents.

Playoffs are reseeded after Quarterfinals, i.e., highest seed remaining hosts lowest seed remaining.

Here's my idea for the NBA...essentially convert it to a two-tier league, with the regular league shrunk down to 28 and a 16-team lower-tier league. Basically, if a team in the premier tier has a lower winning percentage than the highest team in the lower league after four years, then the two teams would switch places til the following cycle. So a team like Charlotte or Sacramento would switch out with two of the teams in the lower bracket. This would prevent tanking as well as keep the quality of play at a high level.

So here's how the premier league would look:

EASTERN CONFERENCE

ATLANTIC

Washington Wizards

Miami Heat

New York Knicks

Brooklyn Nets

Boston Celtics

Orlando Magic

Philadelphia 76ers

CENTRAL

Milwaukee Bucks

Atlanta Hawks

Cleveland Cavaliers

Chicago Bulls

Detroit Pistons

Indiana Pacers

Toronto Raptors

WESTERN CONFERENCE

MIDWEST

Houston Rockets

Denver Nuggets

New Orleans Captains (personal favorite for new name)

San Antonio Spurs

Dallas Mavericks

Memphis Grizzlies (switched with Minnesota)

Oklahoma City Thunder (switched from Pacific with Utah)

PACIFIC

Phoenix Suns

Los Angeles Clippers

Utah Jazz (switched from Midwest with OKC)

San Francisco Warriors

Los Angeles Lakers

Portland Trailblazers

Minnesota Timberwolves (switched with Memphis)

Now under this scenario, Charlotte and Sacramento have been relegated to the new Developmental League, which I'll dub the Pro League. This would be the breeding ground for other markets that haven't had an NBA team; basically they'd be fighting for the right to join the Premier League.

WESTERN CONFERENCE

Sacramento Kings

Seattle Supersonics

San Diego Missions

San Jose Digits

Albuquerque Coyotes

Kansas City Riders

Las Vegas Lights

Mexico City Eagles/Ciudad de México Águilas

EASTERN CONFERENCE

Baltimore Monuments

Jacksonville Snappers

Charlotte Bobcats

Cincinnati Gladiators

New Jersey Elites

Kentucky Colonels

Providence Jackets

Birmingham Rebels

So, with this setup, let's say that over the next four years Toronto and San Francisco bottom out in the Premier League and the New Jersey Elites and the revived Seattle Supersonics do the best in their respective conference in the Pro League. The teams would switch, putting New Jersey in Toronto's place and Seattle in San Francisco's place.

GR30a5H.png

Here's my idea for the NBA...essentially convert it to a two-tier league, with the regular league shrunk down to 28 and a 16-team lower-tier league. Basically, if a team in the premier tier has a lower winning percentage than the highest team in the lower league after four years, then the two teams would switch places til the following cycle. So a team like Charlotte or Sacramento would switch out with two of the teams in the lower bracket. This would prevent tanking as well as keep the quality of play at a high level.

EASTERN CONFERENCE

ATLANTIC

Washington Wizards

Miami Heat

New York Knicks

Brooklyn Nets

Boston Celtics

Orlando Magic

Philadelphia 76ers

CENTRAL

Milwaukee Bucks

Atlanta Hawks

Cleveland Cavaliers

Chicago Bulls

Detroit Pistons

Indiana Pacers

Toronto Raptors

WESTERN CONFERENCE

MIDWEST

Houston Rockets

Minnesota Timberwolves

San Antonio Spurs

Dallas Mavericks

Memphis Grizzlies

PACIFIC

Phoenix Suns

Los Angeles Clippers

San Francisco Warriors

Los Angeles Lakers

Portland Trailblazers

Denver Nuggets

Now under this scenario, Charlotte and Sacramento have been relegated to the new Developmental League, which I'll dub the Pro League. This would be the breeding ground for other markets that haven't had an NBA team; basically they'd be fighting for the right to join the Premier League.

WESTERN CONFERENCE

Sacramento Kings

Seattle Supersonics

San Diego Missions

San Jose Digits

Albuquerque Coyotes

Kansas City Riders

Las Vegas Lights

EASTERN CONFERENCE

Baltimore Monuments

Jacksonville Snappers

Charlotte Bobcats

Cincinnati Gladiators

New Jersey Elites

Kentucky Colonels

Providence Jackets

Birmingham Rebels

So, with this setup, let's say that over the next four years Toronto and San Francisco bottom out in the Premier League and the New Jersey Elites and the revived Seattle Supersonics do the best in their respective conference in the Pro League. The teams would switch, putting New Jersey in Toronto's place and Seattle in San Francisco's place.

Fixed it.

YOZXkBG.png?1

EASTERN CONFERENCE

ATLANTIC

Washington Wizards

Miami Heat

New York Knicks

Brooklyn Nets

Boston Celtics

Orlando Magic

Philadelphia 76ers

CENTRAL

Milwaukee Bucks

Atlanta Hawks

Cleveland Cavaliers

Chicago Bulls

Detroit Pistons

Indiana Pacers

Toronto Raptors

WESTERN CONFERENCE

MIDWEST

Houston Rockets

Denver Nuggets

San Antonio Spurs

Dallas Mavericks

Memphis Grizzlies (switched with Minnesota)

PACIFIC

Phoenix Suns

Los Angeles Clippers

San Francisco Warriors

Los Angeles Lakers

Portland Trailblazers

Minnesota Timberwolves (switched with Memphis)

WESTERN CONFERENCE

Sacramento Kings

Seattle Supersonics

San Diego Missions

San Jose Digits

Albuquerque Coyotes

Kansas City Riders

Las Vegas Lights

EASTERN CONFERENCE

Baltimore Monuments

Jacksonville Snappers

Charlotte Bobcats

Cincinnati Gladiators

New Jersey Elites

Kentucky Colonels

Providence Jackets

Birmingham Rebels

So Albuquerque, Jacksonville, Providence, Birmingham and Mexico City get a team and St. Louis, a 3-sport major league city with an NBA-ready arena, doesn't? I'm not advocating they actually get an NBA team, but it just goes to show the level of quality of the selected cities in this concept. This all, of course, overlooking the obvious that a European style tier system wouldn't work over here, nor is one truly wanted.

Well, true, likely never going to happen but it would make competition in the bottom of the league compelling in its own right. To be fair, some of those teams I had to kinda stretch in their marketability.

Upon reflection, 16 teams would be WAY too much. Just taking it down to 12 might make it more efficient since it'd be a 17% changeover as opposed to a 8% change.

PRO LEAGUE

WESTERN

Seattle Supersonics

Sacramento Kings

St. Louis Archers

San Diego Missions

Ciudad de México Águilas

Albuquerque Coyotes

EASTERN

Charlotte Bobcats

Baltimore Monuments

New Jersey Knights

Kentucky Colonels

Alabama Rebels

Providence Jackets

GR30a5H.png

• 2 weeks later...

Radical NHL realignment proposal (assuming all current teams stay put for now):

NATIONAL CONFERENCE

• East: Boston, Buffalo, Montreal, NY Rangers, Ottawa
  • Central: Chicago, Detroit, Minnesota, St. Louis, Toronto
  • West: Calgary, Colorado, Edmonton, Vancouver, Winnipeg

AMERICAN CONFERENCE

• East: New Jersey, NY Islanders, Florida, Philadelphia, Washington
  • Central: Columbus, Carolina, Nashville, Pittsburgh, Tampa Bay
  • West: Anaheim, Dallas, Los Angeles, San Jose, Phoenix

Regular-season format: Reduced from 82 back to 80 games

• Games 1-58: Two games (one home + one away) vs. all other teams in league
  • Games 59-80: One game vs. all other teams in same conference (each matchup alternates home teams each year), plus two additional games (one home + 1 away) vs. each division rival
  • In games 59-80, division rivals that are set to play twice in the same city may schedule those games back-to-back (this is to minimize travel)

• 2 points for a regulation win
  • 1 point for an OT/shootout win
  • 0 points for a loss of any kind

Playoff format: Similar to the current format, with one tweak: The top at-large team may be seeded #2 or #3 if it finishes with more points than the second- and/or third-ranked division winners in its conference.

Other comments:

• The general concept is to put the traditional markets, particularly the Canadian and Original Six teams, in one conference and newer markets in the other, then divvying up the remaining pre-'90s expansion teams to fill out the divisions.
  • If an American Conference team (all U.S.-based) moves to a Canadian market, they are to be swapped with one of the U.S.-based non-Original-Six teams in the National Conference. All other divisional moves will be handled on a case-by-case basis.
  • Generally I have tried to set the divisions so that they each span no more than two time zones, for travel and TV purposes. Unfortunately there aren't enough teams in the Mountain and Pacific Time Zones to make that possible for the West divisions. In the National West, I was at least able to partially compensate travel-wise by including Winnipeg with the western Canadian teams to minimize border crossings.
  • Yes, the National Central is a Norris Division reunion. The National West is also an 80% Smythe reunion. It could have been made a full reunion by swapping the Avs and Kings (which would also give SoCal a presence in both conferences), but that also would make for long Kings road trips just to face their division rivals.
  • You know how the Blue Jackets nickname is a Civil War reference to the Union army? Notice that I have them in the same division as several teams from former Confederate states. :hockeysmiley:

CCSLC signature.png

NBA in 2017-2018

EASTERN CONFERENCE

Atlantic

Boston

Brooklyn

New York

Philadelphia

Toronto

Central

Chicago

Cleveland

Detroit

Indiana

Minnesota

Southeast

Atlanta

Charlotte

Miami

Orlando

Washington

WESTERN CONFERENCE

Midwest

Denver

Kansas City

Oklahoma City

Phoenix

Utah

Southwest

Dallas

Houston

New Orleans

Memphis

San Antonio

Pacific

L.A. Clippers

L.A. Lakers

Portland

San Francisco

Seattle

Franchise shifts:

Milwaukee to Kansas City

Sacramento to Seattle

Golden State (Oakland) to San Francisco

In this nightmare scenario, the NBA lets the Kings move to Anaheim. All hell breaks loose with teams moving to larger markets left and right.

Pacific Division

Vancouver Pacers

Phoenix Suns

Seattle Bucks

Denver Nuggets

Portland Trailblazers

California

LA Lakers

LA Clippers

Anaheim Royals

San Francisco Warriors

San Jose Wolves

Southwest

Houston Rockets

San Antonio Spurs

Dallas Mavericks

New Orleans Hornets

Oklahoma City Thunder

Central

Chicago Bulls

Chicago Grizzlies

Detroit Pistons

Columbus Cavaliers

Toronto Raptors

Atlantic

Boston Celtics

New Jersey Bobcats

New York Knicks

Brooklyn Nets

Montreal Jazz

...le Jazz become France's team, playing two home games in Paris each year

Southeast

Washington Wizards

Miami Heat

Orlando Magic

Atlanta Hawks

Philadelphia 76ers

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be." -Peter Gibbons

RIP Demitra #38

Here's what I've come up with for NBA realignment. I wanted Atlanta to be in the same division as Memphis and New Orleans.

I think this set-up makes quite a bit of geographic sense. But the playoff logistics are yet to be figured out. This is a pointless thread, after all.

BIRD DIVISION

NYK

BKL

BOS

TOR

WAS

PHI

JORDAN DIVISION

MIL

CHI

MIN

DET

CLE

IND

WILKINS DIVISION

ATL

CHA

MIA

ORL

MEM

NOR

OLAJUWAN DIVISION

HOU

SAS

DAL

PHX

DEN

OKC

JOHNSON DIVISION

POR

SAC

UTA

LAL

LAC

GSW

Edit: Can anyone come up with a better name for the Wilkins division? There aren't any huge names coming out of that division's teams that I can think of.

tacobell.jpg

Yes, I root for teams all over the place. And I apparently favor birds.

Edit: Can anyone come up with a better name for the Wilkins division? There aren't any huge names coming out of that division's teams that I can think of.

O'Neal Division or Maravich Division (Yes, I know he played for the Jazz, but the New Orleans connection is there)

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

US/Canada soccer pyramid with relegation. Bottom 3 go down, top 3 go up. There could probably be a 3rd tier too. I just feel like there isn't that much connection and under the MLS it's all just sort of a cluster :censored:. Plus, as tonight shows, teams can compete.

MLS

Chivas USA

FC Dallas

Real Salt Lake

Red Bull NY

Sporting KC

Chicago Fire

Colorado Rapids

Columbus Crew

DC United

Houston Dynamo

LA Galaxy