The Pointless Realignment Outpost

Lee.

Since this is the Pointless Realignment sub-forum, I was wondering if I can add a little WNBA flavor by the following:

Eastern Conference:

Atlantic Division:

*Connecticut Sun

*New York Liberty

*Washington Mystics

*Charlotte Sting - returning team

*Miami Tropics - returning team, but renamed

*Orlando Miracle - returning team

Central Division:

*Atlanta Dream

*Chicago Sky

*Indiana Fever

*Cleveland Rockers - returning team

*Detroit Mechanics - returning team, but renamed

*Milwaukee Stallions - expansion team

Western Conference:

Midwest Division:

*Minnesota Lynx

*San Antonio Silver Stars

*Tulsa Shock

*Houston Comets - returning team

*Utah Bluezz - returning team, but renamed

*Dallas Longhorns - expansion team

Pacific Division:

* Los Angeles Sparks

* Phoenix Mercury

* Seattle Storm

* Portland Fire - returning team

* Sacramento Monarchs - returning team

* Bay Area Knights - expansion team

Schedule format:

Division play - 5 x 4 (2 home/2 road) = 20 games

Non-division play - 6 x 2 (1 home/1 road) = 12 games

Non-conference play - 12 x 1 = 12 games [home-and-home basis will rotate per every two years]

Total games: 44

Your thoughts about this guys?

Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2011-12 ACC men's basketball conference tournament champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football regular season champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!

Since this is the Pointless Realignment sub-forum, I was wondering if I can add a little WNBA flavor by the following:

Eastern Conference:

Atlantic Division:

*Connecticut Sun

*New York Liberty

*Washington Mystics

Central Division:

*Atlanta Dream

*Chicago Sky

*Indiana Fever

Western Conference:

Midwest Division:

*Minnesota Lynx

*Tulsa Shock

Pacific Division:

* Los Angeles Sparks

* Phoenix Mercury

* Seattle Storm

Schedule format:

Non-conference play - 12 x 1 = 12 games [home-and-home basis will rotate per every two years]

My only thoughts are on the sudden peak of interest in the WNBA for all this to actually happen :lol: .

Jokes aside, decent job. Not a big fan of the name Detroit Mechanics for a WNBA team though, seeing as the male demographic dominates in that job industry. I'm just not sure it's a good name to reflect the team.

Alignment wise, excellent.

• Like 1

Eastern Conference:

Atlantic Division:

*Connecticut Sun

*New York Liberty

*Washington Mystics

Central Division:

*Atlanta Dream

*Chicago Sky

*Indiana Fever

Western Conference:

Midwest Division:

*Minnesota Lynx

*Tulsa Shock

Pacific Division:

* Los Angeles Sparks

* Phoenix Mercury

* Seattle Storm

Schedule format:

My only thoughts are on the sudden peak of interest in the WNBA for all this to actually happen :lol: .

Jokes aside, decent job. Not a big fan of the name Detroit Mechanics for a WNBA team though, seeing as the male demographic dominates in that job industry. I'm just not sure it's a good name to reflect the team.

Alignment wise, excellent.

Thanks. When it comes to alignment and expansion talk, it's the least I can do. :) And I have to give you credit for acknowledging about the "renamings" like the "Detroit Mechanics". To be honest, I couldn't find anything feminine (but powerful) to mirror/reflect to its NBA counterpart; plus any unique way to de-sync out the Miami Soul, Detroit Shock and Utah Starzz. But at least I'm trying my hardest.

Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2011-12 ACC men's basketball conference tournament champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football regular season champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!

As a follow-up to my 32 team MLB re-alignment post, here are the caps in the new divisional alignment:

32MLBCAPS_zpsf2967485.png

I gave the Orioles back their cap from what they had just prior to going back to the grinning cartoonish bird. The Red Sox caps would be red again, as they were from 1975-78. I think they looked really sharp, and still do. The Blue Jays would go back to the white panel on their caps and have the 1977-96 logo.

The Charlotte Knights cap was easy to create, using their logo on a cap template. Team colors gold and black with a touch of silver for the head of armor. The person who made that Indians logo did a really nice and brilliant job. I never liked the Chief Wahoo logo, even when I was a kid growing up in the 1970s, I thought it was really goofy looking. I didn't have room for a 2 cap scenario, but only the Tigers would have 2 different caps in my baseball world. The white "D" for home games, and the orange "D" (showcased here) for their road games.

The Twins cap would have the white panel again, with the interlocking "TC". This would be used for both home and away games. The Texas Rangers would have blue caps, with the red "T". I never liked the red caps that the Rangers adopted back in I guess 1994.

The Anaheim Angels (no more of this Los Angeles of Anaheim hooey) would go back to having a navy cap with a red brim. Again, I never liked nor embraced their red caps. Too many red teams in the American League. The Diamondbacks cap is black with their "A" logo on it and the reddish/orange brim.

In the National League, the Nationals would always have a navy cap with a red brim. I dislike that there are so many "red" teams now in baseball. To me the Red Sox, the Reds and the Cardinals should have red, and that's it. For the Phillies, I married their current cap logo with their previous burgundy colored caps. I always have loathed the Phillies (all Philadelphia teams), but loved it when they had a distinct color. The re-branded Expos expansion team would go back to their 1970s & 80s cap, with the white panel in the front and the MLB logo.

The Pittsburgh Pirates caps would harken back to the days of Clemente in the early 1970s, with the mustard gold caps and the black P on it. The Florida Marlins (not Miami in my world) would go back to their original logo, and have the teal cap with black brim. Again, this was nice as it gave them some distinction.

The Brewers cap I made more of a bluish/purple hue. It might only be me but during the 1970s and early 80s, those Brewers caps looked almost purple to me. I made the "M" a more yellow hue. The Houston Astros would always have the orange caps. Again I loved that they had a distinct color.

In the NL West, the Padres would go back to their brown/orange/gold look. Again very distinct! The current set is about as thrilling as watching paint dry in my opinion. The San Francisco Giants' caps would always have the orange brim.

So there you have it, my re-aligned world showcased by how I'd want the MLB caps to look. Only division winners would advance to the post-season. Best 3 out of 5 series to determine the East & West champions. Best 4 out of 7 for the LCS and of course 4 out of 7 for the World Series. I'd simply alternate every year who was home team for the extra game in these post-season series, rather than have it based on record, but that could still apply I suppose.

The "New" USFL (taking teams from the 1983-85 league). I contracted the Jacksonville Bulls, Oklahoma Outlaws and (insert city name here) Breakers. FYI and historical context, the Breakers were in Boston in 1983, New Orleans in 1984 and Portland, Oregon in 1985, hence the sarcastic (insert city name here) disclaimer.

USFLNEW_zps63c5e4a4.png

Atlantic Division - New Jersey Generals, Philadelphia Stars, Pittsburgh Maulers, Washington Federals

Southern Division - Birmingham Stallions, Orlando Renegades, Memphis Showboats, Tampa Bay Bandits

Central Division - Chicago Blitz, Michigan Panthers, Houston Gamblers (sorry the helmet i just noticed was a bit sliced), San Antonio Gunslingers

Pacific Division - Arizona Wranglers, Denver Gold, Los Angeles Express, Oakland Invaders

18 game season (which is what the old USFL had). Each team plays 2 games against its 3 division opponents, home and away, and each team plays 1 game vs. the other 12, 6 at home 6 on the road on an alternating basis (e.g. New Jersey would play at Oakland one season, the next year Oakland would play at New Jersey).

Just like the NFL, there would be 6 playoff spots. The 4 division winners seeded 1-4, and 2 wildcards.

Wildcard Weekend 6 seed at 3 seed and 5 seed at 4 seed.

Divisional Playoffs 6,5 or 4 seed at 1 seed, and 5,4, or 3 seed at 2 seed.

USFL Championship Game - Neutral Site. No "bye" week between the Divisional Playoffs and the Championship Game.

NHL with a few changes:

Predators and Coyotes are contracted

*Panthers move to Quebec

*Hurricanes move to Portland

*Devils move to Seattle

*Blue Jackets move to Hamilton

*Lightning move to Houston

Atlantic Division:

Boston Bruins

Buffalo Sabres

Hamilton Tigers

Montreal Canadiens

Ottawa Senators

Quebec Nordiques

Toronto Maple Leafs

East Division:

Chicago Blackhawks

Detroit Red Wings

New York Islanders

New York Rangers

Philadelphia Flyers

Pittsburgh Penguins

Washington Capitals

West Division:

Calgary Flames

Dallas Stars

Edmonton Oilers

Houston Aeros

Minnesota Wild

St. Louis Blues

Winnipeg Jets

Pacific Division:

Anaheim Ducks

Colorado Avalanche

Los Angeles Kings

Portland Hurricanes

San Jose Sharks

Seattle Metropolitans

Vancouver Canucks

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, I'll bite. I've been working on an idea for a 40-team MLB Super League (possibly for a project if I ever get enough time), and I think I finally have it perfected. Assuming no teams have to relocate, that would make for 10 new expansion teams, which I tried to divvy up equally among the eight five-team divisions (by necessity, two divisions have two expansion teams each, but every other division has one). I also tried, where possible, to keep teams within the same time zone together, and if there is a time difference between any of the teams in a division, it's only one hour (the main reason why Cincinnati ended up in the NL Southeast instead of the NL Central in this realignment). Without further adieu, the results:

AMERICAN LEAGUE
Atlantic Division
Baltimore Orioles
Boston Red Sox
Carolina Mudcats (expansion)
New York Yankees
Tampa Bay Rays
Great Lakes Division
Chicago White Sox
Cleveland Indians
Detroit Tigers
Indianapolis Arrows (expansion)
Toronto Blue Jays
Midwest Division
Houston Astros
Kansas City Royals
Minnesota Twins
Oklahoma Roughnecks (expansion)
Texas Rangers
Pacific Division
Las Vegas Gamblers (expansion)
Los Angeles Angels
Oakland Athletics
Seattle Mariners
Vancouver Mounties (expansion)
NATIONAL LEAGUE
Northeast Division
Montreal Expos (expansion)
New York Mets
Philadelphia Phillies
Pittsburgh Pirates
Washington Nationals
Southeast Division
Atlanta Braves
Cincinnati Reds
Miami Marlins
Nashville Sounds (expansion)
New Orleans Crescents (expansion)
Central Division
Chicago Cubs
Colorado Rockies
Milwaukee Brewers
San Antonio Missions (expansion)
St. Louis Cardinals
Western Division
Arizona Diamondbacks
Los Angeles Dodgers
Portland Beavers (expansion)
San Diego Padres
San Francisco Giants
There were quite a few cities considered for this project that didn't make the cut for various reasons. Here they are:
DMA Size Too Small
Albuquerque, NM (47th)
Des Moines, IA (72nd)
Jacksonville, FL (50th)
Omaha, NE (75th)
Proximity To Other Teams (Existing or Expansion)
Buffalo, NY (too close to Toronto, Pittsburgh, and Cleveland)
Charlotte, NC (too close to Atlanta and Raleigh/Durham)
Columbus, OH (too close to Cincinnati and Cleveland)
Louisville, KY (too close to Cincinnati and Indianapolis)
Memphis, TN (too close to St. Louis and Nashville)
Norfolk, VA (too close to Raleigh/Durham and Washington)
Travel Costs Prohibitive
Honolulu, HI
There was one odd city out in my final decision between three markets (Oklahoma City, Salt Lake City, and San Antonio), and it ended up being Salt Lake City. My rationale for this was that Oklahoma City is essentially a one-horse town (the Thunder), and that horse is active in the fall, winter, and spring (mostly). Salt Lake City has Real Salt Lake to occupy the summer months, and the Jazz to occupy the winter months. I wouldn't think Salt Lake City would work as a three-team market, so I gave teams to the one-team markets, Oklahoma City and San Antonio (who has been angling for MLB for the past few years).
Some of the other tough decisions were Raleigh/Durham over Charlotte (similar DMA size, but Charlotte has two major league teams to Raleigh/Durham's one), Indianapolis over Louisville (Indianapolis is a larger DMA, and Louisville is most definitely Reds territory), and Nashville over Memphis (Nashville is the larger DMA by a wide enough margin).
Albuquerque and Jacksonville are interesting cases, as well. Both cities have larger DMAs than my smallest market (New Orleans, 51st), but didn't end up with teams. Jacksonville is hemmed in geographically by the Braves, Rays, and the Marlins (not to mention the Atlantic Ocean) so they would face the same issues that Milwaukee does by its proximity to Chicago, the Twin Cities, and Lake Michigan. Albuquerque's DMA covers pretty much the entire state of New Mexico, leaving very few options in the way of adjacent DMAs to draw from. New Orleans would most likely draw from both Louisiana and Mississippi (and possibly southern Alabama and the Florida panhandle), giving them more future potential than the two markets mentioned.

QPR%20Sig.png

This might be a bit pointless, but I'm about to share something interesting. Perhaps this is some serious retrospective dreaming but what if back at the formation of the original Big East football conference instead of the Big East taking the conference under its umbrella the three schools that sponsored the sport at the time (Boston College, Syracuse and Pittsburgh) would have left the league and instead founded a new league with the best of the independents. At the time, those 3 schools only represented 1/3rd of Big East membership and the basketball schools could have flat out said no to the notion of a football league. The new conference might have included:

Boston College

Syracuse

Pittsburgh

Rutgers (from A-10)

Temple (from A-10)

West Virginia (from A-10)

Virginia Tech (from Metro)

Cincinnati (from Metro)

Louisville (from Metro)

Memphis (from Metro)

Miami (FL) (from Indy status)

If a 12th acceptable member could be found, such as East Carolina, then division play and a conference title game could have been in place.

However, if that might had happened, what would be the future of the A-10, the Metro and the old Big East (before adding football) for the 1991-92 season? Would there be a merger between the A-10 and the old Big East to form a basketball-spekked all-sports super-conference?

Take a look at what would have happened with those remaining schools after those leaving their respective conferences:

A-10: Penn St.*, Duquesne, George Washington, UMass*, St. Bonaventure, Rhode Island*, St. Joseph's

Big East (1979-2013): UConn*, Georgetown, Providence, St. John's, Seton Hall, Villanova*

Metro: Tulane*, Southern Miss*; later add UNC-Charlotte, UAB and USF (who would eventually become football-playing schools), and possibly East Carolina* (from the CAA)

By the way, the asterisk means that it's a school with football (FBS or FCS level), just to point that out.

Back with the member list for a Eastern-spekked/based football conference, I would prefer to put Penn St. as the possible 12th member instead of East Carolina; and the divisions would go as follows:

North: Boston College, Syracuse, Pitt, Penn St., Rutgers, Temple

South: Miami, Memphis, Louisville, Virginia Tech, West Virginia, Cincinnati

But if it's East Carolina, then it would be like this:

North: Boston College, Syracuse, Pitt, Penn St., Rutgers, Temple, Cincinnati

South: Miami, Memphis, Louisville, Virginia Tech, West Virginia, East Carolina

NBA with American and National conferences instead of Eastern and Western

American Basketball Conference

North

Milwaukee Bucks

Montreal Expos (expansion franchise)

New York Knicks

Spirits of St. Louis (expansion franchise)

South

Houston Rockets

New Orleans Pelicans

Oklahoma City Thunder

San Antonio Spurs

East

Boston Celtics

Cleveland Cavaliers

Memphis Panthers (Grizzlies renamed)

Miami Heat

West

Denver Nuggets

Golden State Warriors

Los Angeles Lakers

Phoenix Suns

National Basketball Conference

North

Chicago Bulls

Detroit Pistons

Indiana Pacers

Minnesota Timberwolves

South

Atlanta Hawks

Charlotte Hornets (finally finished the rebrand)

Dallas Mavericks

Orlando Magic

East

Brooklyn Nets

Philadelphia 76ers

Toronto Raptors

Washington Wizards

West

Portland Trailblazers

Seattle Super Sonics (Sacramento Kings relocated)

Utah Jazz

Vancouver Grizzlies (Los Angeles Clippers relocated)

Untitled_zps5e4a382a.png

What would have happened to conference realignment during the 2013-14 season, involving the old Big East and the Big XII? It would consist of the following:

Big XII would add Louisville and Cincinnati from old Big East (along with West Virginia), and TCU from the MW:

Big XII North: Kansas, Kansas St., Iowa St., West Virginia, Louisville, Cincinnati

Big XII South: Texas, Texas Tech, Baylor, Oklahoma, Oklahoma St., TCU

Old Big East (now AAC) would NOT have lost Syracuse and Pitt (leaving the ACC and the B1G with 12 still); but would have gained Houston, SMU, UCF, Temple, and Memphis:

AAC: Syracuse, Pitt, UConn, USF, Rutgers, Houston, SMU, UCF, Temple, Memphis

Later for 2014-15, the AAC would have a CCG with additions of East Carolina, Tulsa and Tulane (maybe another school like Marshall), and Navy as a fb-only member out of the question:

AAC North: Syracuse, Pitt, UConn, Rutgers, Temple, Marshall, East Carolina

AAC South: Houston, SMU, UCF, USF, Memphis, Tulsa, Tulane

This would leave Maryland still in the ACC, but Notre Dame would be Independent for all sports. In case the ACC needs new members for the 2015-16 season, then it would be Pitt, Syracuse, Rutgers (from the AAC) and West Virginia (from the Big XII); after that, the AAC would gain either UAB or Southern Miss, while the Big XII would gain Marshall.

Your thoughts?

How do you know that would've happened?

I was just assuming as if it did happen, RIGHT before the 2012-13 or 2011-12 seasons. I posted this as part of this topic for a reason.

How I think college football should be (FBS):

AAC:

South Florida

East Carolina

Tulsa

Temple

Memphis

Houston

Cincinnati

Tulane

Boston College

FAU

Ohio

Appalachian State

Toledo

Additions: Boston College, FAU, Ohio, Appalachian State, Toledo

Subtractions: UCF, Connecticut , SMU

ACC:

Florida State

Louisville

North Carolina State

Wake Forest

Syracuse

Georgia Tech

Duke

North Carolina

Pittsburgh

Virginia

Virginia Tech

Miami (FL)

UCF

Connecticut

Additions: UCF, Conneticut

Subtractions: Boston College, Clemson

Big 12:

Oklahoma State

Oklahoma

Texas

West Virginia

Kansas

Kansas State

Texas Tech

SMU

Rice

Colorado

BYU

LA Tech

Additions: SMU, Rice, Colorado, BYU, LA Tech

Subtractions: Iowa State, TCU, Baylor

B1G:

Indiana

Maryland

Michigan State

Michigan

Rutgers

Ohio State

Penn State

Northwestern

Minnesota

Nebraska

Wisconsin

Illinois

Additions: N/A

Subtractions: Purdue, Iowa

CUSA:

UAB

Western Kentucky

Marshall

Old Dominion

FIU

Middle Tennessee

North Texas

Southern Miss

UTSA

UTEP

Iowa State

Additions: Iowa State

Subtractions: FAU, Rice, LA Tech

Mid-American:

UMass

Bowling Green

Miami (OH)

Akron

Buffalo

Kent State

Ball State

Central Michigan

Eastern Michigan

Northern Illinois

Western Michigan

Wyoming

Additions: Wyoming

Subtractions: Ohio, Toledo

Mountain West:

San Diego State

San Jose State

Hawaii

Fresno State

UNLV

Nevada

Colorado State

Boise State

New Mexico

Utah State

Iowa

North Dakota State

Additions: Iowa, North Dakota State (Yes an FCS school makes the leap)

Subtractions: Air Force, Wyoming

Pac 12:

Stanford

California

Oregon State

Washington

Washington State

Oregon

Arizona

Arizona State

UCLA

USC

Utah

Baylor

Additions: Baylor

Subtractions: Colorado

SEC:

Florida

Georgia

Kentucky

Missouri

Vanderbilt

South Carolina

Tennessee

Auburn

Arkansas

LSU

Ole Miss

Texas A&M

Alabama

Mississippi State

Clemson

TCU

Additions: Clemson, TCU

Subtractions: N/A (It's a sin to leave the SEC apparently)

Sun Belt:

South Alabama

Idaho

New Mexico State

Georgia Southern

Louisiana-Lafayette

Texas State

Arkansas State

Georgia State

Louisiana-Monroe

Troy

Additions: N/A

Subtractions: Appalachian State

Independents:

Notre Dame

Army

Navy

Air Force

Purdue

Additions: Air Force, Purdue

Subtractions: BYU

*Most of this realignment probably has no possibility of happening, I just tried to make all the conferences even (sort of) and have the correct number of teams associated with conference name (Besides B1G because I couldn't find conferences to put some of those teams already in the conference*

If the Big Ten was paring down teams they'd eject Maryland before tossing Purdue.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)