Lee.

The Pointless Realignment Outpost

3 hours ago, ltp74 said:

Why are the Pirates and Montreal in the Central and the Reds in the East? As much as I hate that the Pirates are currently in the Central and Atlanta is in the East, in the scenario above the new Montreal team should definitely be in the East.

There are no Central Divisions in this scenario. To answer your question, I simply based it off the fact that even though Pittsburgh may be more east than Cincinnati, it’s still more northern. I also wanted to keep Pittsburgh and Philadelphia in separate divisions just how they are now. I definitely found the NL realignment more difficult than the AL.

1 hour ago, DNAsports said:

There are no Central Divisions in this scenario. To answer your question, I simply based it off the fact that even though Pittsburgh may be more east than Cincinnati, it’s still more northern. I also wanted to keep Pittsburgh and Philadelphia in separate divisions just how they are now. I definitely found the NL realignment more difficult than the AL.

Why have Pittsburgh and Philly in separate divisions? Back in the day it was one of the fiercest rivalries in baseball and if they ever were in a race for the division crown it would instantly heat up again.

6 hours ago, ltp74 said:

Why have Pittsburgh and Philly in separate divisions? Back in the day it was one of the fiercest rivalries in baseball and if they ever were in a race for the division crown it would instantly heat up again.

So from what I’m gathering, the NL should look like this:

North-

Chicago Cubs

Cincinnati Reds

Milwaukee Brewers

New York Mets

East-

Montreal MLB Team

Pittsburgh Pirates 

Philadelphia Phillies

Washington Nationals

South-

Atlanta Braves

Colorado Rockies

Miami Marlins

St. Louis Cardinals

West-

Arizona Diamondbacks

Los Angeles Dodgers

San Diego Padres

San Francisco Giants

Here we imagine a scenario in which the three biggest leagues of arena/indoor football, the AFL, the IFL, and the NAL, merge into one grand reconstituted Arena Football League.

ATLANTIC CONFERENCE

CONTINENTAL CONFERENCE

NORTHEAST

MID-ATLANTIC

SOUTHEAST

NORTH

CENTRAL

WEST

Albany Empire

AC Blackjacks Carolina Cobras

Bismarck Bucks

Columbus Destroyers

Arizona Rattlers

Massachusetts Pirates Baltimore Brigade Columbus Lions

Green Bay Blizzard

CR River Kings

SD Strike Force

New York Streets

Philadelphia Soul

Jacksonville Sharks

QC Steamwheelers

Iowa Barnstormers

Tucson Sugar Skulls

Washington Valor

Orlando Predators

Sioux Falls Storm

Nebraska Danger

Schedule: no inter-conference play

three-team divisions:

3 games vs. each divisional rival; 1 game vs. 6 non-divisional teams = 12

four-team divisions:

2 games vs. each divisional rival; 1 game vs. 6 non-divisional teams = 12

playoffs: divisional champs plus one wildcard from each conference

2 hours ago, DNAsports said:

So from what I’m gathering, the NL should look like this:

North-

Chicago Cubs

Cincinnati Reds

Milwaukee Brewers

New York Mets

East-

Montreal MLB Team

Pittsburgh Pirates 

Philadelphia Phillies

Washington Nationals

South-

Atlanta Braves

Colorado Rockies

Miami Marlins

St. Louis Cardinals

West-

Arizona Diamondbacks

Los Angeles Dodgers

San Diego Padres

San Francisco Giants

If it was my decision not much would change from the current setup. The only way North and South divisions wouldn’t be a killer time zone wise(Denver is two time zones from half their division) is if the NL and AL were radically altered or done away with. 

8 hours ago, ltp74 said:

If it was my decision not much would change from the current setup. The only way North and South divisions wouldn’t be a killer time zone wise(Denver is two time zones from half their division) is if the NL and AL were radically altered or done away with. 

I don’t think MLB will do away with AL and NL. The most drastic thing I could see happening is we get an AL East & West and an NL East & West all with 8 teams in each division

26 minutes ago, DNAsports said:

I don’t think MLB will do away with AL and NL. The most drastic thing I could see happening is we get an AL East & West and an NL East & West all with 8 teams in each division

Agreed if MLB goes to 32, the ideal situation is 4 divisions of 8.

I think every North American sport should follow suit with the MLS. Do away with divisions and just have conferences.

MLB

An AL and NL "conference" only after two more teams are added to have 16+16. Do away with the dumb interleague play.

NFL

An AFC and NFC Conference. 16+16, each team plays every other team in conference once and three more games as the old rivalries. 18 games over 19 weeks, taking away two preseason games. Top 6 from each make playoffs.

NHL

Eastern and Western Conference at 16+16. Simple top 8 in each go to playoffs. Switch to a simple W-L format getting rid of the points system.

CFL

Put all 10 teams in one division when Halifax is added. Play each team home and home, simple 18 game schedule. Top 6 make playoffs.

NBA

East and West Conference. Top 8 from each make playoffs.

On 4/15/2019 at 8:13 PM, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Here we imagine a scenario in which the three biggest leagues of arena/indoor football, the AFL, the IFL, and the NAL, merge into one grand reconstituted Arena Football League.

ATLANTIC CONFERENCE

CONTINENTAL CONFERENCE

NORTHEAST

MID-ATLANTIC

SOUTHEAST

NORTH

CENTRAL

WEST

Albany Empire

AC Blackjacks Carolina Cobras

Bismarck Bucks

Columbus Destroyers

Arizona Rattlers

Massachusetts Pirates Baltimore Brigade Columbus Lions

Green Bay Blizzard

CR River Kings

SD Strike Force

New York Streets

Philadelphia Soul

Jacksonville Sharks

QC Steamwheelers

Iowa Barnstormers

Tucson Sugar Skulls

Washington Valor

Orlando Predators

Sioux Falls Storm

Nebraska Danger

For filling in the two gaps for the NE and the West, could you see teams in either Hartford, Bridgeport, Providence, Quebec City, London, or Halifax for the NE Division? And Reno, Spokane, Fresno, Portland, Boise, or SLC for the West Division?

23 hours ago, Joke Insurance said:

For filling in the two gaps for the NE and the West, could you see teams in either Hartford, Bridgeport, Providence, Quebec City, London, or Halifax for the NE Division? And Reno, Spokane, Fresno, Portland, Boise, or SLC for the West Division?

Hartford has been tried twice, the second time when the bums over at MSG moved my beloved New York CityHawks of the AFL (see logo in my sig) to the Civic Center in 1999.  It was tough for the re-named New England Sea Wolves to attract any attention in the prolonged gloom that still affected the area only a couple of years after move of the Whalers. The Sea Wolves played two seasons in Hartford before moving to Toronto and becoming the Phantoms. 

But that was in the era when the AFL was in every major city; at that time Hartford stood out as especially small.  In this fantasy AFL, we have plenty of cities smaller than Hartford; and the majority of the arenas in our fantasy AFL have no NHL teams.  A couple of decades after the Whalers' move, perhaps an AFL team could work in the Civic Center. Still, the AHL's Hartford Wolf Pack play there to attendance that is well below the league average.  So maybe Bridgeport is a marginally better choice, as that town's AHL team draws a little better, and there is no record of the AFL already having flopped there.

As far as the west is concerned, Boise and Reno already have teams in the new 4-team indoor league called the America West Football Conference.  The Boise-area team, the Idaho Horsemen, are currently undefeated after eight games.  So let's give them the spot in the Western Division of the fantasy AFL.