The Pointless Realignment Outpost

Lee.

2 hours ago, nelroy78 said:

So I guess the Charlotte NBA team becomes the Spirit if this had become reality.

Probably not, fans hated the name which led to the name-the-team contest that yielded Hornets, so I assume there would've been another contest, the winner just wouldn't have been Hornets. According to this website I found (I can't verify how accurate it is) other choices were Knights, Cougars, Spirit, Crowns, and Stars. I'd bet that Knights and Crowns would've been the leaders, and I bet Knights would've been selected as the team's name.

the user formerly known as cdclt

I thought about 2 leagues:

The XBA - Xtreme Basketball Association. Basketball with some aspects of Slamball. 20 teams. Games on CBS, CBS Sports Network, Paramount Network and CBS All Access.

Eastern Conference

• Atlanta Rise
  • Boston Dunkers
  • Charlotte Buzz
  • Indiana Power
  • Miami Citrus
  • New Jersey Jam
  • New York Mob
  • Philadelphia Slashers
  • Pittsburgh Steal
  • Washington Bandits

Western Conference

• Chicago Bisons
  • Dallas Riders
  • Denver Rimrockers
  • Houston Cosmos
  • Las Vegas Bouncers
  • Los Angeles Diablos
  • Phoenix Flames
  • San Diego Warships
  • San Francisco Matadors
  • Seattle Flight

And now the Big3 becoming affiliated with the NBA. Ice Cube makes a deal with Adam Silver to be the official 3 on 3 basketball league of the NBA.

• Albuquerque Aliens
  • Boston Tir Na Nog
  • Charlotte Killer 3s
  • Chicago Ball Hogs
  • Denver Bivouac
  • Houston Galaxy
  • Miami Salsa (formerly Trilogy)
  • New Orleans Hoodoo
  • New York-New Jersey-Connecticut Tri-State
  • Philadelphia Enemies
  • San Antonio Ghost Ballers
  • Seattle 3 Headed Monsters
  • Washington Sorcerers (formerly 3's Company)
Edited by TrueYankee26
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

If I was the commissioner of the NBA, I would, of course bring back the Seattle SuperSonics. In order to make both the Eastern and Western Conferences even, I would also bring back the Kentucky Colonels from the old ABA. I can't really find a good division for the Grizzlies to be in their current city so I would move them back to Vancouver. The conference divisions would be similar to the NHL where there is 2 divisions with 8 teams, 16 teams in each conference. The divisions would look like this:

ATLANTIC DIVISION

-New York Knicks

-Brooklyn Nets

-Boston Celtics

-Philadelphia 76ers

-Toronto Raptors

-Washington Wizards

-Miami Heat

-Orlando Magic

CENTRAL DIVISION

-Cleveland Cavaliers

-Chicago Bulls

-Detroit Pistons

-Indiana Pacers

-Milwaukee Bucks

-Atlanta Hawks

-Charlotte Hornets

-Kentucky Colonels

MIDWEST DIVISION

-Minnesota Timberwolves

-Denver Nuggets

-Utah Jazz

-New Orleans Pelicans

-Oklahoma City Thunder

-Houston Rockets

-Dallas Mavericks

-San Antonio Spurs

PACIFIC DIVISION

-Los Angeles Lakers

-Los Angeles Clippers

-Golden State Warriors

-Sacramento Kings

-Phoenix Suns

-Portland Trail-Blazers

-Vancouver Grizzles

-Seattle Supersonics

I understand this is not the best division alignment, but I would love to hear any of your suggestions to improve it as well as opinions!

Edited by Jamesizzo
Spelling
  • Meh 1

spacer.png

@Jamesizzo, if you want an NBA with four divisions of eight teams apiece and you want to revive the Seattle SuperSonics, then I can think of two better ways to make that happen.

1. Let all existing clubs stay where they are, forgo an NBA version of the Kentucky Colonels and thus enable the Memphis Grizzlies to play in the Central Division, and grant expansion franchises to both Seattle and another locale in the Pacific Time Zone; or
  2. force a reversal of the ethically questionable relocation that created the Oklahoma City Thunder and thus give the original SuperSonics franchise back to Seattle, have the Memphis Grizzlies play in the Midwest Division, and put expansion teams in both Louisville and someplace in the Pacific Time Zone.

The NBA's new team out west could be

• in Las Vegas,
  • a third chance taken on San Diego (a former home of the Clippers and, before that, the original home of the Rockets),
  • a third team in the Greater Los Angeles region (The Vancouver Grizzlies' last owner, Michael Heisley, gave some thought to bringing that team to Anaheim before he chose Memphis as the Grizz' new home in 2001, and the Sacramento Kings came close to becoming the Anaheim Royals nearly a decade ago.),
  • a second team in the San Francisco Bay Area (Around the same time that Sacramento was on the brink of losing the Kings, Oracle co-founder Larry Ellison tried to buy the current New Orleans NBA club and, despite his public denial of a desire to relocate that team, was heavily rumored at the time to have wanted to shift that franchise to San José.), or
  • a brand-new franchise for Vancouver.
  • Like 2

On 8/17/2020 at 2:39 PM, Jamesizzo said:

If I was the commissioner of the NBA, I would, of course bring back the Seattle SuperSonics. In order to make both the Eastern and Western Conferences even, I would also bring back the Kentucky Colonels from the old ABA. I can't really find a good division for the Grizzlies to be in their current city so I would move them back to Vancouver. The conference divisions would be similar to the NHL where there is 2 divisions with 8 teams, 16 teams in each conference. The divisions would look like this:

ATLANTIC DIVISION

-New York Knicks

-Brooklyn Nets

-Boston Celtics

-Philadelphia 76ers

-Toronto Raptors

-Washington Wizards

-Miami Heat

-Orlando Magic

CENTRAL DIVISION

-Cleveland Cavaliers

-Chicago Bulls

-Detroit Pistons

-Indiana Pacers

-Milwaukee Bucks

-Atlanta Hawks

-Charlotte Hornets

-Minnesota Timberwolves 

MIDWEST DIVISION

-Memphis Grizzlies

-Denver Nuggets

-Kansas City Knights

-New Orleans Pelicans

-Oklahoma City Thunder

-Houston Rockets

-Dallas Mavericks

-San Antonio Spurs

PACIFIC DIVISION

-Los Angeles Lakers

-Los Angeles Clippers

-Golden State Warriors

-Sacramento Kings

-Phoenix Suns

-Portland Trail-Blazers

-Utah Jazz

-Seattle Supersonics

I understand this is not the best division alignment, but I would love to hear any of your suggestions to improve it as well as opinions!

This would be a return to the pre-2004 format. I’d keep the Grizzlies in Memphis and in the West, and put the Timberwolves in the East. Even though Minnesota is further West than Memphis, they are right there with Milwaukee and Chicago. Memphis is relatively close to New Orleans. 

The reason for moving a West team East is because I would put an expansion team in Kansas City instead of Kentucky. San Diego or a return to Vancouver is intriguing but I don’t really want to put two expansion teams in one division.

The only thing I hate to do is split up Denver and Utah but that is unavoidable if adding Kansas City.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

If there was a way for the Grizzlies and Sonics to stay in the Pacific Northwest....

Pacific

Golden State Warriors

Los Angeles Clippers

Los Angeles Lakers

Phoenix Suns

Sacramento Kings

Northwest

Denver Nuggets

Portland Trail Blazers

Seattle Supersonics

Utah Jazz

Vancouver Grizzlies

Southwest

Dallas Mavericks

Houston Rockets

New Orleans Pelicans

Oklahoma City Bison

San Antonio Spurs

Atlantic

Boston Celtics

Cleveland Cavaliers

New York Knicks

Philadelphia 76ers

Toronto Raptors

Central

Chicago Bulls

Detroit Pistons

Indiana Pacers

Milwaukee Bucks

Minnesota Timberwolves

Southeast

Atlanta Hawks

Charlotte Hornets

Miami Heat

Orlando Magic

Washington Federals

On 9/1/2020 at 10:23 PM, neo_prankster said:

If there was a way for the Grizzlies and Sonics to stay in the Pacific Northwest....

Pacific

Golden State Warriors

Los Angeles Clippers

Los Angeles Lakers

Phoenix Suns

Sacramento Kings

Northwest

Denver Nuggets

Portland Trail Blazers

Seattle Supersonics

Utah Jazz

Vancouver Grizzlies

Southwest

Dallas Mavericks

Houston Rockets

New Orleans Pelicans

Oklahoma City Bison

San Antonio Spurs

Atlantic

Boston Celtics

Cleveland Cavaliers

New York Knicks

Philadelphia 76ers

Toronto Raptors

Central

Chicago Bulls

Detroit Pistons

Indiana Pacers

Milwaukee Bucks

Minnesota Timberwolves

Southeast

Atlanta Hawks

Charlotte Hornets

Miami Heat

Orlando Magic

Washington Federals

Brooklyn relocated to Seattle?

Another one for the NFL: NFL purchases the CFL in 2021 and absorbs it in the 2024 season after the CFL goes bankrupt due to COVID-19. What the NFL would look like in 2025 when they also add 8 new teams to make it a 50 team league with a 21 game schedule and 20 teams in the playoffs.

AFC Canada

• BC Lions
  • Calgary Stampeders
  • Edmonton Ermines
  • Saskatchewan Roughriders
  • Winnipeg Blue Bombers

AFC East

• Buffalo Bills
  • Miami Dolphins
  • New England Patriots
  • New York Jets
  • Norfolk Destroyers

AFC North

• Baltimore Ravens
  • Chicago Blitz (moves to St. Louis in 2030)
  • Cincinnati Bengals
  • Cleveland Browns
  • Pittsburgh Steelers

AFC South

• Houston Texans
  • Indianapolis Colts
  • Jacksonville Jaguars
  • Memphis Bulls
  • Nashville Titans

AFC West

• Denver Broncos
  • Kansas City Chiefs
  • Las Vegas Raiders
  • Los Angeles Earthquakes
  • San Diego Chargers

NFC Canada

• Atlantic Schooners
  • Hamilton Tiger-Cats
  • Montreal Alouettes
  • Ottawa RedBlacks
  • Toronto Argonauts

NFC East

• Dallas Cowboys

• Hartford Hammerheads

• New York Giants

• Philadelphia Eagles

• Washington Redtails

NFC North

• Chicago Bears
  • Detroit Lions
  • Green Bay Packers
  • Kentucky Bourbon (Louisville, KY)
  • Minnesota Vikings

NFC South

• Atlanta Falcons
  • Birmingham Vulcans
  • Carolina Panthers
  • New Orleans Saints
  • Tampa Bay Buccaneers

NFC West

• Arizona Cardinals
  • Los Angeles Rams
  • San Francisco 49ers
  • Seattle Seahawks
  • Utah Buzz

TV Rights: AFC to CBS (US) and CTV & TSN (Canada), NFC to FOX (US) and CBC & Rogers (Canada)

Edited by TrueYankee26

or If the after the CFL gets taken over by The NFL and expands to 64 Teams, St. Louis will be one of the 14 Teams to join the NFL so we keep the Bourbon State to field an NFL Team which will play in Louisville (although we had the NBA expanded to Louisville to be called the Kentucky Colonels) in addition expand to Sacramento, Portland, Mexico City, Orlando, Birmingham, San Antonio, Shreveport and others.

10 hours ago, TrueYankee26 said:

In 2030 the Blitz do move to St. Louis after early struggles and Bears fandom being too strong in Chicago

I Hope we can call the new St. Louis team the Gunners in addition for Post-COVID 19 Expansion after the NFL buys the CFL and becomes a 50 Team League, the League could expand to 64 Teams and maybe the NFL could get an expansion team in Oakland, CA.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, things could get interesting for the NHL next season, the very real possibility of no travel between Canada and the US could make for a seven team all Canada division, with 3 eight team divisions south of the border.

CANADA:

MON, OTT, TOR, WIN, EDM, CAL, VAN

EAST:

BUF, BOS, NYI, NYR, NJ, PHI, PIT, WAS

CENTRAL?:

CAR, TB, FLA, NSH, CHI, DET, CLB, STL

WEST:

MIN, DAL, ARZ, COL, VEG, LA, ANA, SJ

Rough call for that eighth western team, sorry Wild!

The NHL  could plan to play the first half of the season in division, 42 games each team. (Canada x7 each opponent, US teams x6 each opponent).

This may buy them some time to figure out a second half of the season (unless arena dates need to be plugged in by a certain date), allowing time for covid rates to hopefully slow/drop, or just schedule another 42 games for each team in their division.

With the West Coast League going to 15 teams, I think the divisional format should be easy to figure out.

North

-Edmonton

-Kamloops

-Kelowna

-Naniamo

-Victoria

Central

-Bellingham

-Port Angeles

-Walla Walla

-Wenatchee

-Yakima Valley

South

-Bend

-Corvallis

-Cowlitz

-Portland

-Ridgefield

It's usually a 54 game schedule, so there's 24 games against your division foes (3 at home, 3 away) and 30 games against the other 10 teams (5 of them at home and the other 5 away)

With the recent news that Mickey Mouse Club/*NSYNC veteran Justin Timberlake has joined the “MLB to Nashville” movement, here’s my plan for 32-team realignment with expansion to Nashville (Stars is the reported nickname) and Charlotte.

R0-7AEOvlAjgmyNd9iLu_qywNjfGTNsh950vQCqp5zxa3EjeqW9bEDwObGIHOxRFPz2XXcy3uxdEcQApRazbBTaCUAVecF_7rVKt6ygv1Hxw5ewz1H-11309oB7vndSCsOaPxMmL

61AX82eov1XFJlDWFHMlVVe2yVUwarfPx-I2dsQFRadVcuiLcioU9mt2y6ox_R3uIIEfjUOWjzzahDFXmukAnGngkjy8n-WKDoWC7nxUsFQ3BdCRl3GY67YYuJ15R5RWEk8_Yd2x

Can’t have the NL East without the Braves! Flipping the Rockies and Astros splits the 8 western clubs evenly between the leagues. Plus both Texas teams leave their West Coast division and reunite with old foes.

Each team gets ONE annual interleague rival. For the expansion clubs, yearly pairings are Nashville-Detroit (Music City vs. Motor City) and Charlotte-Atlanta. If the Rays someday move to Montreal, then Charlotte and Toronto could swap divisions to get the Canadian teams together, but what about interleague? Expos-Pirates revival, perhaps?

Annual interleague pairings: TOR-PIT, BOS-PHI, NYY-NYM, BAL-WSH, DET-NSH, CLE-CIN, CHA-ATL, TB-MIA, CHW-CHC, MIN-MIL, KC-STL, TEX-HOU, COL-ARZ, SEA-SD, OAK-SF, LAA-LAD

Scheduling for 162-game season:

20 games each against 3 division rivals (60 total)

7-8 games against 12 league rivals (86 total)

16 interleague games:

3 against every team from one division (6 home, 6 away)

4-game home-and-home against annual interleague rival

Using the Orioles and Nationals as an example: When AL East faces any NL division other than East, the O’s play those four NL clubs (12 games) and the Nats (4 games). When AL East meets NL East every four years, the O’s play 3 each against the entire NL East including the Nats, and they also have their annual Nats home-and-home, hence 7 O’s-Nats games total. If their 3-game series is in Washington, then 5 of their 7 games are there. Four years later the O’s host the 3-game series.

As for Charlotte-Atlanta: When NL East faces AL East and Atlanta’s division rivals play 7 versus their annual opponents, the Braves get their usual 4 with Charlotte. Only when NL East takes on AL Mideast do we get 7 of Atlanta-Charlotte.

Postseason: In non-COVID years 10 teams out of 30 make the postseason (33% of the clubs). Post-expansion I’d go with 12 out of 32 (37.5%). Two wild cards per league travel to the two lowest-seeded division champs’ ballparks for a best-of-3. Winners advance to face the two higher seeded division champions in a best-of-5 LDS, followed by the usual best-of-7 LCS and best-of-7 World Series.

Edited by MartyMcFlyKavanaugh

On 9/24/2020 at 10:36 PM, MartyMcFlyKavanaugh said:

With the recent news that Mickey Mouse Club/*NSYNC veteran Justin Timberlake has joined the “MLB to Nashville” movement, here’s my plan for 32-team realignment with expansion to Nashville (Stars is the reported nickname) and Charlotte.

R0-7AEOvlAjgmyNd9iLu_qywNjfGTNsh950vQCqp5zxa3EjeqW9bEDwObGIHOxRFPz2XXcy3uxdEcQApRazbBTaCUAVecF_7rVKt6ygv1Hxw5ewz1H-11309oB7vndSCsOaPxMmL

61AX82eov1XFJlDWFHMlVVe2yVUwarfPx-I2dsQFRadVcuiLcioU9mt2y6ox_R3uIIEfjUOWjzzahDFXmukAnGngkjy8n-WKDoWC7nxUsFQ3BdCRl3GY67YYuJ15R5RWEk8_Yd2x

Can’t have the NL East without the Braves! Flipping the Rockies and Astros splits the 8 western clubs evenly between the leagues. Plus both Texas teams leave their West Coast division and reunite with old foes.

Each team gets ONE annual interleague rival. For the expansion clubs, yearly pairings are Nashville-Detroit (Music City vs. Motor City) and Charlotte-Atlanta. If the Rays someday move to Montreal, then Charlotte and Toronto could swap divisions to get the Canadian teams together, but what about interleague? Expos-Pirates revival, perhaps?

Annual interleague pairings: TOR-PIT, BOS-PHI, NYY-NYM, BAL-WSH, DET-NSH, CLE-CIN, CHA-ATL, TB-MIA, CHW-CHC, MIN-MIL, KC-STL, TEX-HOU, COL-ARZ, SEA-SD, OAK-SF, LAA-LAD

16 interleague games:

Using the Orioles and Nationals as an example: When AL East faces any NL division other than East, the O’s play those four NL clubs (12 games) and the Nats (4 games). When AL East meets NL East every four years, the O’s play 3 each against the entire NL East including the Nats, and they also have their annual Nats home-and-home, hence 7 O’s-Nats games total. If their 3-game series is in Washington, then 5 of their 7 games are there. Four years later the O’s host the 3-game series.

As for Charlotte-Atlanta: When NL East faces AL East and Atlanta’s division rivals play 7 versus their annual opponents, the Braves get their usual 4 with Charlotte. Only when NL East takes on AL Mideast do we get 7 of Atlanta-Charlotte.

Postseason: In non-COVID years 10 teams out of 30 make the postseason (33% of the clubs). Post-expansion I’d go with 12 out of 32 (37.5%). Two wild cards per league travel to the two lowest-seeded division champs’ ballparks for a best-of-3. Winners advance to face the two higher seeded division champions in a best-of-5 LDS, followed by the usual best-of-7 LCS and best-of-7 World Series.

Swap Atlanta/Pittsbugh and Houston/Cincinnati. And call them CENTRAL and SOUTH instead of Midwest/east.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, McCall said:

Swap Atlanta/Pittsbugh and Houston/Cincinnati. And call them CENTRAL and SOUTH instead of Midwest/east.

On 9/24/2020 at 11:36 PM, MartyMcFlyKavanaugh said:

16 interleague games:

I agree swapping the Braves and Pirates and Reds and Astros would work best, but I can’t see the Braves going for expansion in BOTH Charlotte and Nashville. Then again we would make a killing for DOUBLE territorial infringement. I am a huge fan of sending the Astros back where they belong in exchange for the Rockies. Hoping that another team isn’t placed on the West Coast, the Rockies would otherwise have to be placed in a “Midwest” division with the Royals, Rangers and Twins. (If moved to the AL). Rooting for Nashville and Montreal. But Tampa will probably end up moving somewhere. 

Here is my proposal for a 32-team, eight-division setup for Major League Baseball, assuming that all existing teams stay where they are:

• American League
    • East Division
      • Baltimore Orioles
      • Boston Red Sox
      • New York Yankees
      • Toronto Blue Jays
    • North Division
      • Chicago White Sox
      • Cleveland Guardians (renaming)
      • Detroit Tigers
      • Minnesota Twins
    • South Division
      • Dallas-Fort Worth Rangers (renaming)
      • Kansas City Royals
      • Nashville Stars (expansion)
      • Tampa Bay Rays
    • West Division
      • Anaheim Angels (renaming)
      • Arizona Diamondbacks (league swap)
      • Oakland Athletics
      • Seattle Mariners
  • National League
    • East Division
      • New York Mets
      • Philadelphia Phillies
      • Pittsburgh Pirates
      • Washington Nationals
    • North Division
      • Chicago Cubs
      • Colorado Rockies
      • Milwaukee Brewers
      • St. Louis Cardinals
    • South Division
      • Atlanta Braves
      • Cincinnati Reds
      • Houston Astros (league swap)
      • Miami Marlins
    • West Division
      • Los Angeles Dodgers
      • San Diego Padres
      • San Francisco Giants
      • Vancouver Maroons (expansion)

With this alignment, and particularly with the placement of expansion teams, geographic symmetry is paramount:

1. A switch of leagues between the Astros and the Diamondbacks not only brings the NL back to Texas, but also gives the AL a presence in the Mountain West.
  2. A Vancouver NL expansion franchise endows the Senior Circuit with both a return to Canada and a presence in the Pacific Northwest.
  3. A Nashville AL expansion franchise means that, at last, the Junior Circuit has a team in a southeastern state other than Florida.
  4. Each league's East division consists solely of teams located both north of the Potomac River and east of the State of Ohio.
  5. Each league's South division has one team apiece in Texas, Florida, a second southeastern state, and the Lower Midwest.
  6. Each league's West division includes a Pacific Northwest club and contains only teams located west of the Continental Divide.
Edited by Walk-Off
I changed my mind about the Angels' and Rangers' geographic identifiers.
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

With MLS looking to re-start their Reserves' League again, I figured I'd put together a plan for the future of the USL.

Championship

East

Birmingham Legion FC

Charleston Battery

Detroit City FC (From NISA)

Hartford Athletic

Indy Eleven

Louisville City FC

Memphis 901 FC

North Carolina FC

Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC

Queensboro FC (Planned 2022 Expansion)

Rhode Island United (Planned 2022 Expansion)

Tampa Bay Rowdies

West

Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC

El Paso Locomotive FC

FC Tulsa

Las Vegas Lights FC

New Mexico United

Oakland Roots SC (Planned 2021 Expansion)

Oklahoma City Energy FC

Orange County SC

Phoenix Rising FC

Reno 1868 FC

San Antonio FC

San Diego Loyal SC

League One

Northeast

Buffalo Bruisers (Planned Championship Expansion)

Guardians FC (Expansion to Cleveland)

Long Island Rough Riders (Promotion from League Two)

Lord Baltimore SC (Expansion)

New Hampshire FC (Planned 2022 Expansion)

Ocean City Nor'Easters (Promotion from League Two)

Portland United (Planned Expansion)

Rochester Rhinos (Planned 2021 Expansion)

Southeast

Chattanooga Red Wolves SC

Duval FC (Expansion to Jacksonville)

Greenville Triumph SC

Hampton Roads United (Expansion)

Miami FC (Self-Relegation from Championship)

Richmond Kickers

South Georgia Tormenta FC

West Virginia Alliance FC (Promotion from League Two)

Central

Brazos Valley Cavalry FC (Promotion from League Two)

Corpus Christi FC (Promotion from League Two)

Des Moines Menace (Planned Championship Expansion)

Flint City Bucks (Promotion from League Two)

Forward Madison FC

Rio Grande Valley FC (Self-Relegation from Championship)

Union Omaha

Wichita Cowboys (Expansion)

West

Boise City FC (Expansion)

Ciudad Stockton FC (Expansion)

Emperors FC (Expansion to Inland Empire)

FC Tucson

San Francisco City FC (Promotion from League Two)

San Francisco Glens SC (Promotion from League Two)

Santa Cruz Breakers FC (Promotion from League Two)

Sporting Malibu (Fresno FC Relocation and Self-Relegation)

The Champion of League One gets promoted to the Championship, replacing the loser of a game between the last place teams in the Championship Divisions

Teams in the Championship will play a round-robin home and away against their division-mates and home or away vs the other division for 34 games

Teams in League One will play a round robin home & away against their division mates, home or away vs their conference, & home or away vs one other division for 30 games

• Like 1

I read in my local paper's sports section that the schools that make up Division I want to realign. Well, here's an idea:

Take a page out of what the NAIA did - Create a 'Division 1A' and a 'Division 1B'

Certain sports would have this kind of division format. For example, this is how basketball would work...

Division 1A

-American Athletic Conference

-Atlantic Coast Conference

-Atlantic 10 Conference

-Big East Conference

-Big 12 Conference

-Big Ten Conference

-Conference USA

-Mid American Conference

-Missouri Valley Conference

-Mountain West Conference

-Pac 12 Conference

-Southeastern Conference

-Southern Conference

-The Summit League

-Sun Belt Conference

-West Coast Conference

Division 1B

-America East Conference

-Atlantic Sun Conference

-Big Sky Conference

-Big South Conference

-Big West Conference

-Colonial Athletic Association

-Horizon League

-Ivy League

-Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference

-Mid Eastern Athletic Conference

-Northeast Conference

-Ohio Valley Conference

-Patriot League

-Southland Conference

-Southwestern Athletic Conference

-Western Athletic Conference

The Power 5, Group of 5 and the six strongest basketball conferences form Division 1A while the other 16 leagues form Division 1B. Each side has 32 team tournaments that the NCAA could run at the same time with the same broadcasting plan (The Turner networks) that can easily create the same revenue source for both sides.

Other sports can either do this or go in other directions, but this is a basic idea.

-