The Pointless Realignment Outpost

Lee.

38 minutes ago, McCall said:

That reminds me; my simplest realignment plan, involving no expansion or relocation. Just swap Colorado and Seattle.

NATIONAL LEAGUE  
WEST CENTRAL EAST
Arizona Diamondbacks Chicago Cubs Atlanta Braves
Los Angeles Dodgers Cincinnati Reds Miami Marlins
San Diego Padres Milwaukee Brewers New York Mets
San Francisco Giants Pittsburgh Pirates Philadelphia Phillies
Seattle Mariners St. Louis Cardinals Washington Nationals

AMERICAN LEAGUE  
WEST CENTRAL EAST
Colorado Rockies Chicago White Sox Baltimore Orioles
Houston Astros Cleveland Indians Boston Red Sox
Los Angeles Angels Detroit Tigers New York Yankees
Oakland Athletics Kansas City Royals Tampa Bay Rays
Texas Rangers Minnesota Twins Toronto Blue Jays

Along with moving the Pirates to the NL East and Atlanta to the NL Central.

On 8/23/2022 at 11:05 PM, JerseyJimmy said:

major league baseball expands to 32 teams and splits each league into four divisions blah blah everyone's done this let's go

NL EAST

-Montreal Expos

-New York Mets

-Philadelphia Phillies

-Pittsburgh Pirates

NL NORTH

-Chicago Cubs

-Colorado Rockies

-Milwaukee Brewers

-St. Louis Cardinals

NL SOUTH

-Atlanta Braves

-Cincinnati Reds

-Miami Marlins

-Washington Nationals

NL WEST

-Arizona Diamondbacks

-Los Angeles Dodgers

-San Diego Padres

-San Francisco Giants

AL EAST

-Baltimore Orioles

-Boston Red Sox

-New York Yankees

-Toronto Blue Jays

AL NORTH

-Chicago White Sox

-Cleveland Guardians

-Detroit Tigers

-Minnesota Twins

AL SOUTH

-Charlotte Monarchs OR Nashville Stars

-Houston Astros

-Tampa Bay Rays

-Texas Rangers

AL WEST

-Kansas City Royals

-Las Vegas Athletics

-Los Angeles Angels

-Seattle Mariners

The alignment that I favour is similar to yours, except I retain the name Central Division.  The distribution of teams in the American League is exactly the same; and in the National League I have Cincinnati in the Central and Colorado in the South.

AL

NL

EAST: Balt Bos NY Tor

EAST: Mon NY Pha Pitt

SOUTH: Cha Hou TB Tex

SOUTH: Atl Col Mia Wash

CENTRAL: Chi Cle Det Min

CENTRAL: Chi Cin Mil StL

WEST: KC LA Oak Sea

WEST: Ariz LA SD SF

• Dislike 1

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

5 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

The alignment that I favour is similar to yours, except I retain the name Central Division.  The distribution of teams in the American League is exactly the same; and in the National League I have Cincinnati in the Central and Colorado in the South.

AL

NL

Colorado in the south makes that division spread across 3 time zones.  Not ideal for divisional TV matchups.  I know its not traditional, but at least with Colorado in the central and Cincinnati in the South it would have the divisions either in the same time zone, or one away in Colorado's case.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

AL

NL

Colorado in the South with Washington, Atlanta and Miami makes no geographical sense whatsoever. I honestly want to know what your rationale is for this alignment.

33 minutes ago, McCall said:

Colorado in the South with Washington, Atlanta and Miami makes no geographical sense whatsoever. I honestly want to know what your rationale is for this alignment.

Denver is in the Southwest; Atlanta and Miami are in the Southeast. Thus all three easily qualify for the Southern Division.

Washington is borderline; that city belongs either to the Northeast region or to the Mid-Atlantic region. But it borders Virginia; so it is almost in the South. 

I would be a bit uncomfortable switching Colorado and Cincinnati, as TBGKon suggests, considering that Cincinnati is clearly part of the Midwest. Alas, there is no perfect alignment.

TBGKon points out that my Southern Division would stretch over three time zones; and this is a reasonable critique. But what is not reasonable is to doubt that the cities of Denver, Atlanta, and Miami make geographical sense in a division called "South", and also that Washington comes close enough.

• Dislike 1

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

18 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Denver is in the Southwest; Atlanta and Miami are in the Southeast. Thus all three easily qualify for the Southern Division.

Washington is borderline; that city belongs either to the Northeast region or to the Mid-Atlantic region. But it borders Virginia; so it is almost in the South. 

I would be a bit uncomfortable switching Colorado and Cincinnati, as TBGKon suggests, considering that Cincinnati is clearly part of the Midwest. Alas, there is no perfect alignment.

TBGKon points out that my Southern Division would stretch over three time zones; and this is a reasonable critique. But what is not reasonable is to doubt that the cities of Denver, Atlanta, and Miami make geographical sense in a division called "South", and also that Washington comes close enough.

Oh, dear Lord.

Division names are subjective terms used to label a group of geographically aligned teams, even if not precisely accurate. This is why in the NHL you have or had Vegas and Arizona in the Pacific Division even though neither one borders the Pacific Ocean. Same with Phoenix in the NBA. Just because one team is in the south region of one part of the country, doesn't mean it fits into a south division situated on the other side of the country. The main problem here, like with many, is people only aligning based on linear geography when a more accurate tool is radial geography. You essentially take a circle to the map of teams and group them as best as possible based on how they fall within that circle.

• Like 4

My Major League Baseball expansion/relocation project

AMERICAN LEAGUE

AL East: Baltimore Orioles, Boston Red Sox, Carolina Pilots, New York Yankees, Tampa Bay Rays, Toronto Blue Jays

AL Central:  Chicago White Sox, Cleveland Indians, Detroit Tigers, Kansas City Royals, Minnesota Twins, Oklahoma City Bison

AL West: Anaheim Angels, Colorado Rockies, Houston Astros, Oakland Athletics, Texas Rangers, Vegas Supernovas

NATIONAL LEAGUE

NL East: Atlanta Braves, Miami Marlins, Montreal Expos, New York Mets, Philadelphia Phillies, Washington Nationals

NL Central: Chicago Cubs, Cincinnati Reds, Milwaukee Brewers, Nashville Stars, Pittsburgh Pirates, St. Louis Cardinals

NL West: Arizona Diamondbacks, Los Angeles Dodgers, Sacramento Solons, San Diego Padres, San Francisco Giants, Seattle Mariners

Expansion teams are in bold

Relocation teams are in italic

7 minutes ago, Marcos Flamengo said:

My Major League Baseball expansion/relocation project

AMERICAN LEAGUE

AL East: Baltimore Orioles, Boston Red Sox, Carolina Pilots, New York Yankees, Tampa Bay Rays, Toronto Blue Jays

AL Central:  Cleveland Indians, Detroit Tigers, Indianapolis White Sox, Kansas City Royals, Minnesota Twins, Oklahoma City Bison

AL West: Colorado Rockies, Hawaii Angels, Houston Astros, Oakland Athletics, Texas Rangers, Vegas Supernovas

NATIONAL LEAGUE

NL East: Atlanta Braves, Miami Marlins, Montreal Expos, Ottawa Mets, Philadelphia Phillies, Washington Nationals

NL Central: Chicago Cubs, Cincinnati Reds, Milwaukee Brewers, Nashville Stars, Pittsburgh Pirates, St. Louis Cardinals

NL West: Arizona Diamondbacks, Los Angeles Dodgers, Sacramento Solons, San Diego Padres, San Francisco Giants, Seattle Mariners

Expansion teams are in bold

Relocation teams are in italic

The Ottawa Mets?🤨

Alright I have not done these in a while, especially a soccer one but here goes

United States Soccer Association (USSA)

Tier 1

Atlanta Buzzards

Boston Mariners

Charlotte Prowlers

Chicago Red Devils

Cleveland Cardinals

Dallas Buffaloes

Detroit Machine

Houston Pelicans

Indianapolis Blazers

Los Angeles Guerreros

Miami Caimans

Milwaukee Blues

Nashville Noise

New Jersey Liberty

New York Eagles (Queens)

Orlando Mages

Philadelphia Swans

San Francisco Golden Gaters

St. Louis Brewers

Tampa Bay Cannoneers

Tier 2

Alaska Polar Bears

Anaheim Orange

Baltimore Magpies

Buffalo Tigers

El Paso Miners

Des Moines Rams

Duluth Wolfpack

Green Bay Milkmen

Hartford Whales

Kansas City Wranglers

Louisville Reds

Minnesota Grizzlies

New Orleans Hoodoo

New York Dragons (Staten Island)

Oakland Señors

Portland Evergreens

San Antonio Fiesta

San Diego Destroyers

Tidewater Clippers

Washington Patriots

Tier 3

Albuquerque Sol

Arizona Phoenixes

Austin Arrows

Boston Colonials

Brooklyn Wanderers

Bronx Wildcats

Chicago Serbian Eagles

Chicago Yaks

Denver Rough Riders

Eugene Mallards

Fort Lauderdale Gators

Jacksonville Panthers

Las Vegas Vulcans

Los Angeles Astros

Los Angeles Pioneers

Memphis Bulldogs

Miami Magic

New Jersey Blue Jays

New York Mammoths (Manhattan)

Philadelphia Independence

Pittsburgh Falcons

Providence Knights

Raleigh Cheetahs

Richmond Rebels

Rochester Rocs

Santa Cruz Breakers

Seattle Ospreys

Spokane Mountain Lions

Springfield Rovers (Springfield, IL)

Syracuse Sicilianos

Utah Wasps

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/23/2022 at 11:05 PM, JerseyJimmy said:

major league baseball expands to 32 teams and splits each league into four divisions blah blah everyone's done this let's go

NL EAST

-Montreal Expos

-New York Mets

-Philadelphia Phillies

-Pittsburgh Pirates

NL NORTH

-Chicago Cubs

-Colorado Rockies

-Milwaukee Brewers

-St. Louis Cardinals

NL SOUTH

-Atlanta Braves

-Cincinnati Reds

-Miami Marlins

-Washington Nationals

NL WEST

-Arizona Diamondbacks

-Los Angeles Dodgers

-San Diego Padres

-San Francisco Giants

AL EAST

-Baltimore Orioles

-Boston Red Sox

-New York Yankees

-Toronto Blue Jays

AL NORTH

-Chicago White Sox

-Cleveland Guardians

-Detroit Tigers

-Minnesota Twins

AL SOUTH

-Charlotte Monarchs OR Nashville Stars

-Houston Astros

-Tampa Bay Rays

-Texas Rangers

AL WEST

-Kansas City Royals

-Las Vegas Athletics

-Los Angeles Angels

-Seattle Mariners

Good plan. Here's a tweak to the AL. If the A's get their Howard Terminal ballpark and the Rays move to Vegas, this would be the result (going with Nashville as the new club):spacer.png

With the new interleague scheme arriving next year, a post-expansion 162-game season could be: 39 in-division games (13 per 3 rivals), 74 intra-league (6-7 games against 12 league rivals) and 49 interleague (4 vs. "annual rival" + (3 x 15)). Some "annual rivalries" would change: Blue Jays-Expos, Red Sox-Phillies, Stars-Braves, Rangers-Rockies, Astros-Marlins and Rays-D'backs (the '98 clubs!).

• 2 weeks later...

This would be my NASCAR Cup Series teams for 2023. I would include Dodge as a new manufacturer.

CHEVROLET CAMARO

Beard Motorsports: 62. Austin Hill (part-time)

Hendrick Motorsports: 5. Kyle Larson; 9. Chase Elliott; 24. William Byron; 25. Miguel Paludo (part-time); 48. Alex Bowman

JR Motorsports: 88. Josh Berry (part-time)

JTG Daugherty Racing: 47. Ricky Stenhouse Jr.

Kaulig Racing: 16. A.J. Allmendinger; 31. Justin Haley

Petty GMS Motorsports: 42. Noah Gragson, 43. Erik Jones; 44. Jimmie Johnson (part-time)

Richard Childress Racing: 3. Austin Dillon, 8. Kyle Busch; 29. Sheldon Creed; 33. Jeffrey Earnhardt (part-time)

Spire Motorsports: 7. Corey LaJoie; 77. Ty Dillon

Trackhouse Racing Team: 1. Ross Chastain; 91. Kimi Raikkönen (part-time); 99. Daniel Suárez

FORD MUSTANG

Front Row Motorsports: 34. Michael McDowell; 36. Zane Smith; 38. Todd Gilliland

Live Fast Motorsports: 78. B.J. McLeod, Andy Lally, Josh Williams, Scott Heckert, Kyle Tilley

RFK Racing: 6. Brad Keselowski; 17. Chris Buescher, Zane Smith; 97. Carlos Huertas

Rick Ware Racing: 15. David Ragan, Garrett Smithley, Joey Hand, J.J. Yeley, Ryan Preece, Parker Kligerman; 51. Cody Ware, J.J. Yeley

Stewart-Haas Racing: 4. Kevin Harvick; 10. Aric Almirola; 14. Chase Briscoe; 41. Ryan Preece

Team Penske: 02. Hailie Deegan; 2. Austin Cindric; 12. Ryan Blaney; 22. Joey Logano

Wood Brothers Racing: 21. Harrison Burton

TOYOTA CAMRY

23XI Racing: 23. Bubba Wallace; 45. Tyler Reddick

Andretti Autosport: 28. Ryan Truex; 98. Marco Andretti

Chip Ganassi Racing: 39. Natalie Decker; 40. John Hunter Nemechek

Joe Gibbs Racing: 11. Denny Hamlin; 18. Martin Truex Jr.; 19. S; 20. Christopher Bell; 54. Ty Gibbs

ThorSport Racing: 13.  Ben Rhodes; 87. Ty Majeski

This would be my Formula One World Championship entries for 2025.

Alfa Romeo F1 Team Orlen: Valtteri Bottas (#77), Carlos Muñoz (#98)

Amazon Peugeot F1 Team: Ryan Briscoe (#48), Julián Leal (#94)

Aston Martin Aramco Cogniziani F1 Team: Fernando Alonso (#14), Lance Stroll (#18)

BWT Alpine F1 Team: Esteban Ocon (#31), Niko Kari (#56)

Chip Ganassi Racing F1 Team: Roberto Merhi (#1), Sérgio Sette Câmara (#42)

Haas F1 Team: Kevin Magnussen (#20), Pietro Fittipaldi (#51)

Hendrick F1 Team: Marvin Kirchhöfer (#5), Kevin Ceccon (#24)

Hisense Trackhouse Racing Team: Stéphane Richelmi (#91), Daniel de Jong (#99)

Honda Racing F1 Team: Niko Kari (#6), Alessio Lorandi (#45)

Joe Gibbs Racing F1 Team: Antonio Giovinazzi (#54), Gustav Malja (#81)

McLaren F1 Team: Lando Norris (#4), Oscar Piastri (#81)

Mercedes-AMG Petronas F1 Team: Ryan Tveter (#47), George Russell (#63)

Meyer Shank F1 Team: Simon Trummer (#34), Alex Lynn (#52)

Oracle Red Bull Racing: Sergio Pérez (#11), Max Verstappen (#33)

Petty GMS F1 Team: Johnny Cecotto Jr. (#23), Cameron Das (#43)

Scuderia AlphaTauri: Pierre Gasly (#10), Juri Vips (#29)

Scuderia Ferrari Charles LeClerc (#16), Carlos Sainz Jr. (#55)

Team Penske: Jake Hughes (#2), Ryan Norman (#22)

Toyota Gazoo Racing F1 Team: Rafaelle Marciello (#7), Tadasuke Makino (#38)

Williams Racing: Alexander Albon (#23), Marino Sato (#32)

REMINDER: The start of every F1 race would be in NASCAR-style.

I know this is pointless, but where can I find a sub-forum or a sub-topic that can be talked about conference realignment (whether the 3 divisions in the NCAA, the NAIA, the NJCAA, the NCCAA, the USCAA, etc.)? It's all I ask.  Please and thanks in advance.

Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2011-12 ACC men's basketball conference tournament champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football regular season champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!

On 9/24/2022 at 1:22 AM, jlog3000 said:

I know this is pointless, but where can I find a sub-forum or a sub-topic that can be talked about conference realignment (whether the 3 divisions in the NCAA, the NAIA, the NJCAA, the NCCAA, the USCAA, etc.)? It's all I ask.  Please and thanks in advance.

This is the thread the news and discussion is occurring in.  

Does it also include other college athletics associations lower than the NCAA D-I (FBS, FCS or non-football alike)? If so, thanks.

Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2011-12 ACC men's basketball conference tournament champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football regular season champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!

On 9/25/2022 at 6:55 AM, jlog3000 said:

Does it also include other college athletics associations lower than the NCAA D-I (FBS, FCS or non-football alike)? If so, thanks.

I mean they just talked about the D2 team moving up. Just like above. It includes all realignment 

Until this past summer, my dream Pac-14 was as follows...

Arizona

Arizona State

BYU

California

Colorado

Colorado State

Oregon

Oregon State

Stanford

UCLA

USC

Utah

Washington

Washington State

BYU was the last remaining G5 football program in the West that could actually be a successful P5 program. BYU has a massive fanbase, a lot of money, a stadium that would be the 4th largest in the Pac-14, and the historical success/brand (past National Championship & Heisman) needed to grab television attention. The addition of BYU would also make one of the countries fiercest rivalries, the Holy War with Utah, a Pac-14 conference game now played during rivalry week instead of early in the year. BYU though was never a real possibility due to its religious affiliation, strict student honor code, and conservative politics that clash heavily with the ideology of the rest of the conference. However, I think these vast idealogical differences would have made for must see games which was already evident with many of BYU's past games vs Pac-12 opponents. 

Colorado State would have been a massive gamble for the Pac-14. They are not a historically great football program nor do they have a massive fanbase like BYU. CSU certainly does not bring eye balls to the conference.  They do though fit in very well culturally and academically with the rest of the conference (enrollment, research, academic rankings, etc.), especially with the other ag schools, Washington State and Oregon State. The real hope in adding them would be to light a fire underneath Colorado's ass. Colorado has no real rivals in the Pac-12 right now and adding their little brother who have actually invested quite a lot in football the past decade (new stadium and facilities but they just can't hire an actually decent head coach) would force CU to care about football or risk falling behind to CSU. Jim McElwain also proved recently that CSU can be a successful football program. Hopefully with both major state schools in Colorado now in a P5 conference together, the state would begin to actually care about college football more too.

The final part of the new Pac-14 would have be that EVERY school would play their in state rival on campus during rivalry week. This means no neutral site games in Denver for CSU-CU and that Cal-Stanford and USC-UCLA play every rivalry weekend, no more catering to Notre Dame letting them end every season in California then go straight into recruiting West Coast players that should be staying in the Pac-14 footprint. And of course the Pac-14 Championship Game is played every year in Las Vegas. 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, WestCoastBias said:

Until this past summer, my dream Pac-14 was as follows...

Arizona

Arizona State

BYU

California

Colorado

Colorado State

Oregon

Oregon State

Stanford

UCLA

USC

Utah

Washington

Washington State

BYU was the last remaining G5 football program in the West that could actually be a successful P5 program. BYU has a massive fanbase, a lot of money, a stadium that would be the 4th largest in the Pac-14, and the historical success/brand (past National Championship & Heisman) needed to grab television attention. The addition of BYU would also make one of the countries fiercest rivalries, the Holy War with Utah, a Pac-14 conference game now played during rivalry week instead of early in the year. BYU though was never a real possibility due to its religious affiliation, strict student honor code, and conservative politics that clash heavily with the ideology of the rest of the conference. However, I think these vast idealogical differences would have made for must see games which was already evident with many of BYU's past games vs Pac-12 opponents. 

Colorado State would have been a massive gamble for the Pac-14. They are not a historically great football program nor do they have a massive fanbase like BYU. CSU certainly does not bring eye balls to the conference.  They do though fit in very well culturally and academically with the rest of the conference (enrollment, research, academic rankings, etc.), especially with the other ag schools, Washington State and Oregon State. The real hope in adding them would be to light a fire underneath Colorado's ass. Colorado has no real rivals in the Pac-12 right now and adding their little brother who have actually invested quite a lot in football the past decade (new stadium and facilities but they just can't hire an actually decent head coach) would force CU to care about football or risk falling behind to CSU. Jim McElwain also proved recently that CSU can be a successful football program. Hopefully with both major state schools in Colorado now in a P5 conference together, the state would begin to actually care about college football more too.

The final part of the new Pac-14 would have be that EVERY school would play their in state rival on campus during rivalry week. This means no neutral site games in Denver for CSU-CU and that Cal-Stanford and USC-UCLA play every rivalry weekend, no more catering to Notre Dame letting them end every season in California then go straight into recruiting West Coast players that should be staying in the Pac-14 footprint. And of course the Pac-14 Championship Game is played every year in Las Vegas. 

If your dream for the PAC was BYU and Colorado State, then that validates everyone trying to bail.

• LOL 1