The Pointless Realignment Outpost

Lee.

1 minute ago, McCall said:

If your dream for the PAC was BYU and Colorado State, then that validates everyone trying to bail.

Sorry for wishing for a regional conference of like minded universities, aside from BYU playing the outcast villain role, instead of a dumb nation wide super conference.  Big 12 teams have no business being in the Pac-12 and Pac-12 teams have no business being in the Big 12, and of course Pac-12 teams should not be in the B1G.

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Dislike 1

27 minutes ago, WestCoastBias said:

Sorry for wishing for a regional conference of like minded universities, aside from BYU playing the outcast villain role, instead of a dumb nation wide super conference.  Big 12 teams have no business being in the Pac-12 and Pac-12 teams have no business being in the Big 12, and of course Pac-12 teams should not be in the B1G.

Don't apologize for your vision. It looks entertaining to me, especially of what could have happened out West.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I actually had a dream MLB went to a 168 game schedule.

120 divisional games (30 games each vs division opponents). And like the NFL, game 168 will all be division games.

30 intraleague non-divisional games (3 each vs every team).

18 interleague games (3 against a fixed rival and 15 against each team in a division).

Postseason stays the same: 3 game Wild card series, 5 game LDS, 7 game LCS and WS.

The ACC loses Clemson and Florida State to the SEC, but absorbs the East Division of the SBC plus Liberty

Atlantic Division-

App State
Boston College

Georgia State

Georgia Tech

JMU

Louisville

Marshall
NC State

Syracuse

Wake Forest

Coastal-
Coastal Carolina

Duke

Georgia Southern

Liberty

Miami

Old Dominion

Pitt

UNC

Virginia

Virginia Tech

• 2 weeks later...

It will be really interesting to see what the SEC And Big 10 do in the coming seasons with realignment. Both have pretty much admitted to the fact that when the new teams come in, they will go to three permanent opponents (four-team pods) and rotate everyone else every second year (to allow for home-and-homes). 

As I see it, it will work out REALLY well in the SEC from a regional and Rivalry perspective (not perfect, but good) Play your own pod once, play the four from another pod, then one team from each of the other two pods.

Texas

A&M

Oklahoma 

Arkansas

Ole Miss

Miss.  State

Alabama 

Auburn

Tennessee

LSU

Kentucky

Vandy

Florida

Georgia

South Carolina

Missouri 

It's farrrr more complicated if they want to go this route with the  BIG. Who do they stick with UCLA and USC in that pod? How do you protect multiple rivalries? For example, obviously they will keep OSU/UM every year. But what if they want to play PSU/OSU annally also? You'd then have a pod with Penn State, Michigan, Ohio State, and, what, Rutgers? How fair would that be?

I think the Big 10 would be better off protecting ONE game per two sets of teams and that's it. 

10 hours ago, jackq1916 said:

It will be really interesting to see what the SEC And Big 10 do in the coming seasons with realignment. Both have pretty much admitted to the fact that when the new teams come in, they will go to three permanent opponents (four-team pods) and rotate everyone else every second year (to allow for home-and-homes). 

As I see it, it will work out REALLY well in the SEC from a regional and Rivalry perspective (not perfect, but good) Play your own pod once, play the four from another pod, then one team from each of the other two pods.

Texas

A&M

Oklahoma 

Arkansas

Ole Miss

Miss.  State

Alabama 

Auburn

Tennessee

LSU

Kentucky

Vandy

Florida

Georgia

South Carolina

Missouri 

The SEC approved the 3-6 scheduling format and Texas A&M have said they'd like 2 of their 3 regular opponents to be Texas and LSU, so I'd assume it'd be those 3 and Oklahoma, if it does indeed to go the pod system, likely moving Arkansas into a "North" division with Mizzou, Vanderbilt and Kentucky. This would allow Tennessee to stay in an "East" with Georgia & Florida along with South Carolina. The Alabama/Mississippi division works.

“WEST” “CENTRAL” “NORTH” “EAST”
LSU Alabama Arkansas Florida
Oklahoma Auburn Kentucky Georgia
Texas Mississippi State Mizzou South Carolina
Texas A&M Ole Miss Vanderbilt Tennessee

10 hours ago, jackq1916 said:

It's farrrr more complicated if they want to go this route with the  BIG. Who do they stick with UCLA and USC in that pod? How do you protect multiple rivalries? For example, obviously they will keep OSU/UM every year. But what if they want to play PSU/OSU annally also? You'd then have a pod with Penn State, Michigan, Ohio State, and, what, Rutgers? How fair would that be?

I think the Big 10 would be better off protecting ONE game per two sets of teams and that's it. 

As for the Big Ten, I really can't see them stopping at 16 with USC & UCLA. They'd probably need to get to 20 and create 5-team pods. They've mentioned Stanford, Cal, Oregon and Washington as targets. Drop Cal, then they could add another midwest school (Notre Dame would be their top choice), allowing for a 5-team "Pacific" pod.

American Football Conference National Football Conference
West South Central East West South Central East
Arizona Houston Cincinnati Buffalo Dallas Atlanta Chicago Baltimore
Denver Miami Cleveland New England LA Rams Carolina Green Bay NY Giants
LA Chargers New Orleans Detroit NY Jets San Francisco Jacksonville Minnesota Philadelphia
Las Vegas Tampa Bay Indianapolis Pittsburgh Seattle Tennessee Kansas City Washington

Realigned the divisions to a more geographic approach. Here is my thought process for some of the radical changes.

• Fun fact, Dallas started in the Western Conference during their first season in 1960. They've been in the East since 1961! Figured keeping them against the 49ers would be great nostalgia, and certainly not an easy division to win.
  • Regarding the AFC East, needed to keep the Patriots/Jets rivalry alive along with the Bills. Introducing the Steelers to this division would make it a gauntlet for any team to come out on top each season.
  • As for the NFC East, I like the "I-95" corridor approach as the teams are easily accessible by the interstate.
  • For the AFC/NFC South divisions, the alignment could have gone in many different directions, but I settled on teams that were in close proximity to each other. It would be cool to see all the division rivalries develop over time.
  • The biggest surprises would be moving Kansas City to the NFC and Detroit to the AFC, as a change of scenery may help the Lions thrive and the Chiefs given more challenging competition in their division (except for maybe the Bears).

• 2 weeks later...

Someone once mentioned a change to the NBA schedule that I liked, so here's another pointless realignment, along with remembering that schedule idea.

Pacific Division: Blazers, Lakers, Clippers, Kings, Warriors
Midwest Division: Jazz, Suns, Nuggets, Thunder, T-Wolves
All other divisions remain the same

The idea was: 44 games per season, with a mid-week game and a weekend game each week for 22 weeks.
Teams would play the opposite conference once and the same conference home and home, which works out to 43 games, and then one more game against a designated rival.
(I figure Minnesota would pair with Chicago or Milwaukee for game #44).

Of course, ticket prices would probably increase dramatically to compensate for the lost revenue, and the TV network deals would all have to be scrapped and renegotiated. 

Alternatively, I would suggest:
80 game season (20 divisional games, 30 conference, 30 cross-conference)
Only a slight bump in ticket prices is required here. ;)

• Like 1

My versions of a 32 team NBA and MLB

32 team NBA

Western Conference

Northwest Division

Seattle SuperSonics (expansion)

Portland Trail Blazers

Sacramento Kings

Golden State Warriors

Southwest Division

Los Angeles Clippers

Los Angeles Lakers

Las Vegas Rat Pack (expansion)

Phoenix Suns

Mountain Division

Utah Jazz

Denver Nuggets

Oklahoma City Thunder

Memphis Grizzlies

Frontier Division

Dallas Mavericks

Houston Rockets

San Antonio Spurs

New Orleans Pelicans

Eastern Conference

Midwest Division

Minnesota Timberwolves

Milwaukee Bucks

Chicago Bulls

Indiana Pacers

Northeast Division

Boston Celtics

Toronto Raptors

Detroit Pistons

Cleveland Cavaliers

Atlantic Division

New York Knicks

Brooklyn Nets

Philadelphia 76ers

Washington Wizards

Southeast Division

Charlotte Hornets

Atlanta Hawks

Orlando Magic

Miami Heat

32 team MLB

AL East

Boston Red Sox

New York Yankees

Baltimore Orioles

Toronto Blue Jays

AL Central

Cleveland Guardians

Detroit Tigers

Chicago White Sox

Minnesota Twins

AL South

Nashville Copperheads (expansion)

Tampa Bay Rays

Texas Rangers

Kansas City Royals

AL West

Oakland Athletics

Los Angeles Angels

Seattle Mariners

Arizona Diamondbacks (swapped leagues with Houston)

NL East

Montreal Expos (expansion)

New York Mets

Philadelphia Phillies

Pittsburgh Pirates

NL Central

Cincinnati Reds

Chicago Cubs

Milwaukee Brewers

St. Louis Cardinals

NL South

Washington Nationals

Atlanta Braves

Miami Marlins

Houston Astros (swapped leagues with Arizona)

NL West

Colorado Rockies

San Francisco Giants

Los Angeles Dodgers

San Diego Padres

xFUdNmt.png

• 2 weeks later...

Problem: the Conference USA is being picked apart and tries to serve a need that the American Athletic Conference and Sunbelt already does  better - occupy the broadest reaches of the Southeast

Solution: a second tier conference for the Plains region in the way the MAC and Mountain West acts for the Big Ten and Pac 12

New Mexico State
UTEP
Tulsa
Arkansas State
North Texas
Texas State
Sam Houston State
Louisiana Tech
Louisiana
Rice

Little rivalry pods of NMSU/UTEP, Rice/Sam Houston, Tulsa/ArkSt, Louisiana schools, North Texas/Texas State

(ignore that half of these schools are going to the American conference, i'll let them take San Antonio because they fit the characteristics of other schools in that conference. We'll trade them for Tulsa. Also trade FIU to the Sun Belt and open WKU and MTSU to the highest bidder)

• Like 1

A sneak preview of a new series: TrueYankee becomes the overlord of the Sports world. Here, the NCAA makes conferences strictly regional again, reformed by the Ministry of Sports. Former major programs become major again, and also, depending on location, schools get assigned to a conference (that means no USC or UCLA going to the Big 10, they stay in the Pac 12, and Cincinnati, Marquette,  Xavier etc. because of their Eastern Midwest location, move from Big 12 and Big East to the Big 10)

ACC

• Clemson, Coastal Carolina, Duke, Florida State, Georgia Tech, Maryland, Miami, North Carolina, NC State, USF, Virginia, Virginia Tech, Wake Forest

Big East

• Boston College, Buffalo, Connecticut, Georgetown, Rutgers, Penn State, Pittsburgh, Providence, Seton Hall, St. John's, Syracuse, Temple, Villanova, West Virginia

Big 10

• Butler, Chicago, Cincinnati, DePaul, Indiana, Illinois, Louisville, Marquette, Michigan, Michigan State, Northwestern, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Purdue, Wisconsin, Xavier

Big 12

• Baylor, Colorado State, Creighton, Houston, Iowa, Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State, Louisiana, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota State, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Rice, SMU, TCU, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Tulsa, UTSA, Wichita State

Pac 12

• Arizona, Arizona State, Boise State, BYU, California, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, New Mexico, Oregon, Oregon State, Stanford, UCLA, UNLV, USC, Utah, UTEP, Washington, Washington State, Wyoming

SEC

• Alabama, Appalachian State, Arkansas, Auburn, East Carolina, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, LSU, Memphis, Mississippi, Mississippi State, South Carolina, Tennessee, Tulane, UCF, Vanderbilt

11 hours ago, TrueYankee26 said:

Big East

• Boston College, Buffalo, Connecticut, Georgetown, Rutgers, Penn State, Pittsburgh, Providence, Seton Hall, St. John's, Syracuse, Temple, Villanova, West Virginia

Not sure I agree with everything in your post but I really like this group of teams

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

The PAC 8/10/12 whatever number of teams are left get absorbed by other conferences and/or form new conference

(and other related conference shifting)

B18 or Transnational 18 (formerly B1G)

California (+)

Colorado (+)

Illinois

Indiana

Iowa

Maryland

Michigan

Michigan State

Minnesota

Nebraska

Northwestern

Ohio State

Penn State

Purdue

Rutgers

Wisconsin

USC (++)

UCLA (++)

Coastal Plains Conference (formerly Big 12)

Arizona (+)

Arizona State (+)

Baylor

BYU (++)

Cincinnati (++)

Central Florida (++)

Houston (++)

Iowa State

Kansas

Kansas State

Oklahoma

Oklahoma State

TCU

Texas

Texas Tech

Utah (+)

Stanford (+)

Rain Belt 12 (RB12) Conference (formerly Mountain West)

Boise State

Colorado State

Fresno State

Oregon (+)

Oregon State (+)

North Dakota State (^+)

Nevada

UNLV

Utah State

Washington (+)

Washington State (+)

Wyoming

(+) - members of PAC12

(++) - confirmed future members of noted conference

(^+) - promoted from FCS

Note: New Mexico, San Jose State, San Diego State (MW), and West Virginia (Big 12), have undecided futures

ACC

Connecticut

Florida State

East Carolina

Syracuse

Louisville

Liberty

NC State

Wake Forest

Boston College

Old Dominion

UNC

Pitt

Duke

Georgia Tech

South Florida

Virginia

Virginia Tech

WVU

United Middle American Conference (UMAC)

UTSA

North Texas

Rice

UTEP

Ohio

Buffalo

Bowling Green

Miami OH

Kent State

Akron

Toledo

E Michigan

C Michigan

W Michigan

Ball State

Northern Illinois

SEC

Alabama

Ole Miss

Mississippi State

Arkansas

Auburn

Kentucky

Tennessee

Texas A&M

Memphis

Missouri

Vanderbilt

UAB

Florida Atlantic

James Madison

Tulsa

FIU

Charlotte

WKU

South East Atlantic Conference (SEA)
App State

LSU

Tulane

Coastal Carolina

Clemson

SMU

Miami

Louisiana Lafayette

Louisiana Monroe

Georgia

South Carolina

Florida

Georgia Southern

Georgia State

South Alabama

Southern Miss

Midd. Tennessee

LA Tech

————————————

Undecided

Marshall

Troy

Texas State

Arkansas State

Norte Dame

New Mexico State

UMass

New Mexico

Hawaii

San Jose State

San Diego State

Temple

Air Force

Army

Navy

10 hours ago, DCarp1231 said:

Well. This is the “Pointless Realignment Outpost” for a reason

Actually, the "Pointless" portion of the thread title isn't in reference to the realignment proposals themselves, but rather the general existence of the thread because a lot of people around here didn't like it when people posted them in other threads. So they created this thread for those of us who do like realignment ideas, but named it as such to remind people how others feel about it.

So basically, it's just the "REALIGNMENT OUTPOST".

Then they added "POINTLESS" to the name to show their disdain for it. Probably should have been titled "(POINTLESS) REALIGNMENT OUTPOST🙄" to be more accurate.

3 minutes ago, McCall said:

Actually, the "Pointless" portion of the thread title isn't in reference to the realignment proposals themselves, but rather the general existence of the thread because a lot of people around here didn't like it when people posted them in other threads. So they created this thread for those of us who do like realignment ideas, but named it as such to remind people how others feel about it.

Ah, I see. In fairness, I only started with the dismantling of the PAC12 and of that proposal, I believe the Rain Belt 12 to be the most reasonable.