The Pointless Realignment Outpost

Lee.

For the mileage guys out there, if you want to do one I plan on doing but not sure when I'll have the time, take Columbus's mileage to EACH of the other 4 SE division teams, and figure the total combined mileage and average mileage to opponent and then repeat for Nashville. That would better give a picture of who fits better in that division by distances. Like I said, I plan on doing it, but am scheduled to work all day for the next few days so I'm not sure when I'll be able to get to it.

Columbus' total: 2563 (average 641 mi)

Nashville's total: 2191 (average 548 mi)

But just looking at a map tells me that Nashville is closer. I've updated my latest to compensate for this.

But just looking at a map tells me that Nashville is closer. I've updated my latest to compensate for this.

They ain't what I've got. I have Columbus at 2497 and Nashville at 2428, but that's as the crow flies, I don't know how you did yours, but there's no way you can have a lower total with Nashville then what I have. My question would be did you account for curvature of the earth?

For Columbus:

Washington 328

Carolina 371

Tampa Bay 832

Florida 967

Total-2498 (round off accounts for the difference)

For Nashville

Carolina 451

Washington 567

Tampa Bay 621

Florida 789

Total-2428

Leave Columbus in the Central and Pittsburgh in the Atlantic. Move Nashville to the Southeast. That's all that really needs to be done aside from Winnipeg to Northwest and Minnesota to Central.

As I've pointed out, Columbus is within 500 miles (driving distance) of both Washington and Carolina, as well as other conference opponents in Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Toronto, and Philadelphia.

Nashville is within 500 miles (driving distance) of none of them.

6fQjS3M.png

As I've pointed out, Columbus is within 500 miles (driving distance) of both Washington and Carolina, as well as other conference opponents in Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Toronto, and Philadelphia.

And Nashville is more of a cultural fit in the Southeast than Columbus.

/What good is ease of travel when your fans don't travel anyway?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Yes, I think on a "similar state-wide cultures need to fit in the same division" basis, Nashville needs to be grouped with its Southern brethren.

Columbus/Pitt/et al. should also stick together as much as is possible. It would be a little different if it were the Cincinnati Jackets, because I know they have strong ties to Kentucky sporting culture.

I really think I should have just stuck the Preds in the Southeast, and Pitt in the Central just to screw with them.

Meh I've never thought of it being a cultural fit. I've always thought of it as a locational fit. And Columbus clearly fits in better with the rest of the East.

/Columbus fits in better with Washington and arguably Raleigh anyways. What's Raleigh like culturally?

//Still thinks everyone's thinking of the Southeast Division as including Atlanta as far as Nashville fitting better...

6fQjS3M.png

Meh I've never thought of it being a cultural fit. I've always thought of it as a locational fit. And Columbus clearly fits in better with the rest of the East.

/Columbus fits in better with Washington and arguably Raleigh anyways. What's Raleigh like culturally?

//Still thinks everyone's thinking of the Southeast Division as including Atlanta as far as Nashville fitting better...

What does it matter what Raleigh is like? It's more southern, and more eastern than Columbus. Vanderbilt is in the South Eastern Conference. Tennessee is a southern state. Ohio was part of the union. The team is named the Blue Jackets, dammit. It just makes more sense. A whole lot more sense.

You will stay in the Central and like it.

Seriously. You are proposing putting Ohio State's hometown in SEC-land. Does that really make sense?

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Nashville is a geographically southeastern city. Columbus is a northern Midwestern town. Which makes more sense?

Plus as shown above, the overall and average mileage shows that Nashville makes more sense in the southeast division than Columbus does.

Nashville is a geographically southeastern city. Columbus is a northern Midwestern town. Which makes more sense?

Plus as shown above, the overall and average mileage shows that Nashville makes more sense in the southeast division than Columbus does.

I wouldn't call Nashville a geographically southeastern city any more than I would call Columbus a geographically northeastern city.

Columbus is further East than Nashville. Nashville in the Western Conference, Columbus in the Eastern Conference.

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

I wouldn't call Nashville a geographically southeastern city any more than I would call Columbus a geographically northeastern city.

Columbus is further East than Nashville. Nashville in the Western Conference, Columbus in the Eastern Conference.

OK, let's approach it from this tack since reason seems to have trouble registering here. I think the good people of Nashville are going to take more pleasure in watching the hometown team beat down their fellow Southerners in Raleigh, Miami, Tampa Bay, and Washington than some teams in Yankeeland. Conversely, the people of Columbus, who really, really would like to see the hometown team play Detroit a lot (among others). Does that make sense to you?

This is a professional league with a continent-wide footprint. Travel is really a tertiary concern, if that.

Today, we are all otaku.

How is Nashville NOT a southeastern city? It's in Tennessee for crying out loud.

The Southeastern US, one of the more populated regions of the country, is always considered to include Tennessee, North and South Carolina, Alabama, Mississippi, Georgia and Florida. Kentucky, Virginia, Arkansas and Louisiana are usually also, but not always included (I personally add them in). Tennesse is ABSOLUTELY a southeastern US city.

Columbus will eventually move to the East when they become the reincarnated Quebec Nordiques.

Somehow Bettman will continue to prop up the Panthers in Sunrise, just like he's doing with the Coyotes in Glendale. Got to maintain Conference balance, right?

OITGDNHL.

:upside:

If the Thrashers DO INDEED move to Winnipeg and get rebranded as the Winnipeg "insert-new-team-nickname here" (most likely the Falcons in honor of the amateur hockey team that won gold in the 1920 Winter Olympics), it will most likely be the Nashville Predators that'll move to the Eastern Conference and fill the spot of the Thrashers in the Southeast Division. That could mean the AHL team currently occupying Winnipeg (the Manitoba Moose) could move to St. John's, Newfoundland and Labrador.

So with that said...

EASTERN CONFERENCE

Atlantic

New Jersey Devils

New York Islanders (if they last long in Long Island)

New York Rangers

Philadelphia Flyers

Pittsburgh Penguins

Northeast

Boston Bruins

Buffalo Sabres

Montreal Canadiens

Ottawa Senators

Toronto Maple Leafs

Southeast

Carolina Hurricanes

Florida Panthers

Nashville Predators (moved from Western Conference Central Division)

Tampa Bay Lightning

Washington Capitals

WESTERN CONFERENCE

Central

Chicago Blackhawks

Columbus Blue Jackets

Dallas Stars (moved from Pacific Division)

Detroit Red Wings

St. Louis Blues

Northwest

Calgary Flames

Edmonton Oilers

Minnesota Wild

Vancouver Canucks

Winnipeg Falcons (moved from Eastern Conference Southeast Division due to move from Atlanta)

Pacific

Anaheim Ducks

Colorado Avalanche (moved from Northwest Division)

Los Angeles Kings

Phoenix Coyotes

San Jose Sharks

YOZXkBG.png?1

If the Thrashers DO INDEED move to Winnipeg and get rebranded as the Winnipeg "insert-new-team-nickname here" (most likely the Falcons in honor of the amateur hockey team that won gold in the 1920 Winter Olympics), it will most likely be the Nashville Predators that'll move to the Eastern Conference and fill the spot of the Thrashers in the Southeast Division. That could mean the AHL team currently occupying Winnipeg (the Manitoba Moose) could move to St. John's, Newfoundland and Labrador.

So with that said...

EASTERN CONFERENCE

Atlantic

New Jersey Devils

New York Islanders (if they last long in Long Island)

New York Rangers

Philadelphia Flyers

Pittsburgh Penguins

Northeast

Boston Bruins

Buffalo Sabres

Montreal Canadiens

Ottawa Senators

Toronto Maple Leafs

Southeast

Carolina Hurricanes

Florida Panthers

Nashville Predators (moved from Western Conference Central Division)

Tampa Bay Lightning

Washington Capitals

WESTERN CONFERENCE

Central

Chicago Blackhawks

Columbus Blue Jackets

Dallas Stars (moved from Pacific Division)

Detroit Red Wings

St. Louis Blues

Northwest

Calgary Flames

Edmonton Oilers

Minnesota Wild

Vancouver Canucks

Winnipeg Falcons (moved from Eastern Conference Southeast Division due to move from Atlanta)

Pacific

Anaheim Ducks

Colorado Avalanche (moved from Northwest Division)

Los Angeles Kings

Phoenix Coyotes

San Jose Sharks

Minnesota would most likely go to the central with Winnipeg to the northwest. Dallas and Corado stay where they are.

OK, let's approach it from this tack since reason seems to have trouble registering here. I think the good people of Nashville are going to take more pleasure in watching the hometown team beat down their fellow Southerners in Raleigh, Miami, Tampa Bay, and Washington than some teams in Yankeeland. Conversely, the people of Columbus, who really, really would like to see the hometown team play Detroit a lot (among others). Does that make sense to you?

This is a professional league with a continent-wide footprint. Travel is really a tertiary concern, if that.

No, we really, really don't like to see the hometown team play Detroit. What I'm saying is that Nashville isn't close to any Eastern Conference teams, while the Jackets are close to 6. Plus, if you're talking about attendance figures for the Detroit conversation, the CBJ draw just as well against Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Pittsburgh, and Washington.

/Nashville still isn't close to a single Eastern Conference team.

6fQjS3M.png

What could be more "reasonable" than saying that the team that is further East (Columbus) should be put in the Eastern Conference, and the team that is further West (Nashville) should be put in the Western Conference?

Even after all of the circles this conversation has gone in, that's still the most "reasonable" conclusion on the matter.

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED