The Pointless Realignment Outpost

Lee.

What I did was go by the NHL schedulue formula to determine who would in fact have lower travel distance. You play teams in your own division 6 times, 4 times for every other team in your conference and 1.2 times against teams in the opposite conference. (6*4)+(10*4)+(15*1.2)=82

The distance between the two teams was multiplied by the number of times the teams would play each other during the regular season. An example being if Columbus was in the Eastern Conference they would play Buffalo 4 times. The distance between the two teams as the crow flies is about 293 miles. 4*293=1172 If Columbus was in the West it would be 1.2 times. 1.2*293=351.6

I assumed the Central division would be comprised of Chicago, Detroit, Minnesota, St. Louis and either Columbus or Nashville. Southeast would consist of Carolina, Florida, Tampa Bay and Washington. These are the results.

Southeast

Columbus-54110

Nashville-65098

Central

Columbus-82039

Nashville-83630

If you want to only look at the divisional matchups for the Southeast conference Columbus would have a travel impact of 14980 miles, while Nashville would be 14569. Just about dead even. However, the only two teams that Nashville is closer to in the Eastern conference then Columbus is are Florida and Tampa Bay, so for every other game played outside the division Columbus would be closer, and this accounts for about half the amount of games an NHL team will play.

Likewise in the Central Columbus has a total travel of 5815 miles, whereas Nashville has a total travel of 7254 miles. Again though with every other team in the Western conference its either almost a dead heat between the two, (less then a 20 mile difference between the two for how far away they are from Vancouver) or Nashville is closer. Examples of western cities where Nashville is closer to by over 100 miles include Anaheim, Colorado, Dallas, Los Angeles, Phoenix, and San Jose. That's 6 of the remaining ten teams. In fact Nashville has to travel less on average then Columbus to get to their Western Conference games. The total distance for Columbus to go to Eastern Conference games when they are in the West is about 8674 miles. For Nashville it would be 12255 miles. Its only because of that difference as to why Columbus has a lower value then Nashville.

Division allignment wise it makes more sense for Nashville to be in the southwest and for Columbus to be in the Central. I don't think that's up for debate. But if your looking at the bigger picture, it makes way more sense to put Columbus to be in the Eastern conference then for Nashville, as is the case with Nashville being in the Western conference and its because of those 40 in conference games you have to play outside of your division.

Columbus is going to the East so that we don't need to do another conference flip when they're sold to Quebec City interests, unless I missed something and Columbus and/or Ohio has the money to bail Nationwide Insurance out of its failing arena.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Columbus is going to the East so that we don't need to do another conference flip when they're sold to Quebec City interests, unless I missed something and Columbus and/or Ohio has the money to bail Nationwide Insurance out of its failing arena.

:censored: Ohio State. That is all. <_<

6fQjS3M.png

If the Thrashers DO INDEED move to Winnipeg and get rebranded as the Winnipeg "insert-new-team-nickname here" (most likely the Falcons in honor of the amateur hockey team that won gold in the 1920 Winter Olympics), it will most likely be the Nashville Predators that'll move to the Eastern Conference and fill the spot of the Thrashers in the Southeast Division. That could mean the AHL team currently occupying Winnipeg (the Manitoba Moose) could move to St. John's, Newfoundland and Labrador.

So with that said...

EASTERN CONFERENCE

Atlantic

New Jersey Devils

New York Islanders (if they last long in Long Island)

New York Rangers

Philadelphia Flyers

Pittsburgh Penguins

Northeast

Boston Bruins

Buffalo Sabres

Montreal Canadiens

Ottawa Senators

Toronto Maple Leafs

Southeast

Carolina Hurricanes

Florida Panthers

Nashville Predators (moved from Western Conference Central Division)

Tampa Bay Lightning

Washington Capitals

WESTERN CONFERENCE

Central

Chicago Blackhawks

Columbus Blue Jackets

Dallas Stars (moved from Pacific Division)

Detroit Red Wings

St. Louis Blues

Northwest

Calgary Flames

Edmonton Oilers

Minnesota Wild

Vancouver Canucks

Winnipeg Falcons (moved from Eastern Conference Southeast Division due to move from Atlanta)

Pacific

Anaheim Ducks

Colorado Avalanche (moved from Northwest Division)

Los Angeles Kings

Phoenix Coyotes

San Jose Sharks

Minnesota would most likely go to the central with Winnipeg to the northwest. Dallas and Corado stay where they are.

Nah. You keep Minnesota to develop a Backyard rivalry with Winnipeg (Manitoba Falcons) shift Colorado to the Pacific and Dallas to the Central.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

I went on the equation I described earlier, and as of now this is the most efficient allignment I can come up with.

Under that equation which again is (6*4*milledge between teams in division)+(4*10*milledge between remaining teams in conference)+(15*1.2*milledge between teams in opposite conference)

The total milledge is 2368044 after adding up all the teams.

Eastern Conference

Atlantic

--------

Boston Bruins

New Jersey Devils

New York Islanders

New York Rangers

Philadelphia Flyers

Northeast

---------

Buffalo Sabres

Montreal Canadiens

Ottawa Senators

Pittsburgh Penguins

Toronto Maple Leafs

Southeast

---------

Carolina Hurricanes

Columbus Blue Jackets

Florida Panthers

Tampa Bay Lightning

Washington Capitals

Western Conference

Central

-------

Chicago Blackhawks

Dallas Stars

Detroit Red Wings

Nashville Predators

St. Louis Blues

Northwest

---------

Calgary Flames

Edmonton Oilers

Minnesota Wild

Vancouver Canucks

Winnipeg

Pacific

-------

Anaheim Ducks

Colorado Avalanche

Los Angeles Kings

Phoenix Coyotes

San Jose Sharks

I'll plug in any reallignment that people want to see if the total number goes lower. Any change I made past swapping Columbus to the Southeast and Winnipeg to the Central (originally) lowered the total number.

I think all this complaining about mileage is stupid personally. I also think that a Minnesota-Chicago-Detroit-St. Louis-Nashville division might be the best division possible for destroying the love of hockey in Blues fans. Two teams that play ridiculously ugly hockey and two teams that will now always be able to reload on talent since Bill Wirtz is croaked. Any disputing this?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I pieced this together in the interest of keeping the teams in each division all in the same time zone, rather than worrying about travel distance disparities.

PACIFIC: Vancouver, San Jose, Los Angeles, Anaheim

MOUNTAIN: Colorado, Phoenix, Edmonton, Calgary

CENTRAL: Minnesota, Winnipeg, Dallas, Nashville, St. Louis, Chicago

NORTHEAST: Detroit, Columbus, Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal, Quebec (NYI)

ATLANTIC: Boston, Buffalo, Pittsburgh, Philly, Rangers, Jersey

SOUTHEAST: Washington, Carolina, Tampa, Florida

Now we have three divisions of 6 and three divisions of 4. Scheduling works this way:

Divisional play can be 30 games for the divisions of 4 (3 opponents x 10)

and 36 games for the divisions of 6 (5 opponents, 4x7, 1x8). (30) (36)

24 games are then played intradivisionally for the 4-team divisions against each other. (8x3) (54)

The 6-team divisions do the same. (12x2) (60)

The 4-team divisions play the three 6-team divisions once each. (18x1) | (12x1) (72) (72)

nhlimprovedv4.png

--

Top 16 in the league make the playoffs, organized bracket-style.

--

Well according the Winnipeg team will be playing in the Eastern Conference for the upcoming season. This despite the fact that the closest team to them in the conference (Toronto) is just under 1000 miles away.

Under that scenairo, I'd move Winnipeg into the Northeast, put Boston in the Atlantic, and move Pittsburgh to the Southeast.

If they're in the same division as Florida and Tampa Bay, that is going to be a brutal road schedule for them.

Well according the Winnipeg team will be playing in the Eastern Conference for the upcoming season. This despite the fact that the closest team to them in the conference (Toronto) is just under 1000 miles away.

Under that scenario, I'd move Winnipeg into the Northeast, put Boston in the Atlantic, and move Pittsburgh to the Southeast.

If they're in the same division as Florida and Tampa Bay, that is going to be a brutal road schedule for them.

I was contemplating the Winnipeg-Northeast scenario. Bump Boston to the Atlantic and Pittsburgh to the Southeast or something.

For real, though the Blue Jackets may be one beneficiary of OSU imploding itself. I still think the City can turn it around. There's hockey fans here and city officials understand the damage that would happen if the team left. They'll figure something out, I hope.

PvO6ZWJ.png

For real, though the Blue Jackets may be one beneficiary of OSU imploding itself. I still think the City can turn it around. There's hockey fans here and city officials understand the damage that would happen if the team left. They'll figure something out, I hope.

What Columbus did was very similar to what Phoenix did as well in terms of stupidity. Give an arena deal to expansion team in an untested market and make them the only tenants.

Why they didn't build an arena for Ohio State and the Blue Jackets, I'll never know, because like the Coyotes if the Blue Jackets bolt Nattionwide Arena is going to very quickly turn into a white elephant. Atlanta was smart enough to at least make sure that the Hawks and Thrashers played in the same building, so that now they don't have a 18,000 seat arena sitting empty.

What Columbus did was very similar to what Phoenix did as well in terms of stupidity. Give an arena deal to expansion team in an untested market and make them the only tenants.

Why they didn't build an arena for Ohio State and the Blue Jackets, I'll never know, because like the Coyotes if the Blue Jackets bolt Nattionwide Arena is going to very quickly turn into a white elephant. Atlanta was smart enough to at least make sure that the Hawks and Thrashers played in the same building, so that now they don't have a 18,000 seat arena sitting empty.

The Blue Jackets tried. Gordon Gee and OSU were the uncooperative ones. Like we said, :censored: OSU. Not everyone in this city is gaga for the Buckeyes. Some of us are actually quite sick of that massive agricultural institution.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Under that scenairo, I'd move Winnipeg into the Northeast, put Boston in the Atlantic, and move Pittsburgh to the Southeast.

As of now, its just temporary for the upcoming season. The NHL has probably already given their teams a schedule to work around other events for the next year.

The Blue Jackets tried. Gordon Gee and OSU were the uncooperative ones. Like we said, :censored: OSU. Not everyone in this city is gaga for the Buckeyes. Some of us are actually quite sick of that massive agriculture institution.

I'll believe you that's probably what happened, but instead of playing hardball city governments will bend over backwards to accommodate teams wants, even though what they actually give the city in terms of economic benefit is very small.

I don't think any other industry could get away with doing what alot of these teams have done to city and state governments in order to get their way.

:censored: it, blow the whole thing up. Four divisions, period.

West: Vancouver, San Jose, LA, Anaheim, Phoenix (Seattle), Edmonton, Calgary, Colorado

Midwest: Winnipeg, Minnesota, Chicago, Detroit, St Louis, Dallas, Nashville

Central: Columbus, Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal, Boston, Buffalo, Pittsburgh

East: New York, Long Island, New Jersey, Philadelphia, Washington, Carolina, Tampa, Miami

Division winners get automatic 1-4 seeds, remaining top 12 teams make it in. DONE.

Welcome to DrunjFlix