The Pointless Realignment Outpost

Lee.

I'd have to take a look at the scheduling format to see if it would make it better or not.

Thing is with a three conference league though, somebody is going to get screwed (probably the teams in the Atlantic division) by having to play the teams in that southeast division more often.

The central and northeast would probably wind up getting paired up which would help out the central, but the northeast would lose those atlantic division foes, so teams like Boston and Toronto would lose out.

I don't think it would make a huge difference, but again if somebody wants to give me a schedulue format for a allignment like that I can run the numbers and see what the total milledge would be like to see if the argument has any credence. As it stands now teams play about 30% in division games, 50% in conference games, and 20% out of conference games.

I'd have to take a look at the scheduling format to see if it would make it better or not.

Thing is with a three conference league though, somebody is going to get screwed (probably the teams in the Atlantic division) by having to play the teams in that southeast division more often.

The central and northeast would probably wind up getting paired up which would help out the central, but the northeast would lose those atlantic division foes, so teams like Boston and Toronto would lose out.

I don't think it would make a huge difference, but again if somebody wants to give me a schedulue format for a allignment like that I can run the numbers and see what the total milledge would be like to see if the argument has any credence. As it stands now teams play about 30% in division games, 50% in conference games, and 20% out of conference games.

West Division: Vancouver, Edmonton, Calgary, San Jose, Anaheim, LA, Phoenix, Colorado, Dallas, Winnipeg

Central Division: Minnesota, St. Louis, Chicago, Bowling GreenNashville, Columbus, Detroit, Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal, Quebec.

Atlantic Division: Buffalo, Rangers, Boston, Pittsburgh, Philly, Jersey, Washington, Carolina, Tampa, Florida.

36 divisional games, 40 non-divisional. Bracket-style playoff of top 16 teams.

Have fun.

West Division: Vancouver, Edmonton, Calgary, San Jose, Anaheim, LA, Phoenix, Colorado, Dallas, Winnipeg

Central Division: Minnesota, St. Louis, Chicago, Bowling GreenNashville, Columbus, Detroit, Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal, Quebec.

Atlantic Division: Buffalo, Rangers, Boston, Pittsburgh, Philly, Jersey, Washington, Carolina, Tampa, Florida.

36 divisional games, 40 non-divisional. Bracket-style playoff of top 16 teams.

Have fun.

Your missing about 6 games, but ran the numbers anyway, and got a total milledge of 2102513. The lowest I could possibly get for a two conference allignment under the current schedulue was 2368044.

If we take the average milledge for a single game which is about 1844 and multiply that by 90 which is the total amount of games left to be played, you would get a new total of 2268501.

Thing is though if I keep the previous two conference format and just take six out of conference games away it brings the total milledge down to about 2100365.

Its amazing how your schedule's orginzation can have an impact on what the most efficient allignment would be. I actually have an allignment for the MLB where the total is roughly half that of the NHL even though they play nearly double the games, and its because they play far more divisional games.

You're missing about 6 games, but ran the numbers anyway, and got a total mileage of 2102513. The lowest I could possibly get for a two conference alignment under the current schedule was 2368044.

3 missed home games won't hurt revenue that much. They can schedule more divisional games if they really need to. I always thought 82 was the weirdest number to pick though.

You're missing about 6 games, but ran the numbers anyway, and got a total mileage of 2102513. The lowest I could possibly get for a two conference alignment under the current schedule was 2368044.

3 missed home games won't hurt revenue that much. They can schedule more divisional games if they really need to. I always thought 82 was the weirdest number to pick though.

I'm always in favor of less games myself, but if I can take away non-conference games in the two conference format, and get a lower number I don't see any reason to switch over to three confernces. Any new divisonal rivalry you gain, you trade off by making the Rangers play the Panthers more.

I think it just makes things more confusing with the playoff seeding.

The only way I would be in favor of it is if the NHL expanded to Europe.

I see the Coyotes moving to Quebec in the near future. Once all 30 franchises are stable, I dont think it's outside the realm of possibility that the NHL expands to 32 teams. 4 divisions, 8 teams each. Top 4 in each division make playoffs and continue with a divisional format. Since more emphasis is placed on the division, teams will play every other divisonal team 6 times (3 home, 3 away), 3 games against each team in the other division within the conference (odd number, but conference records wont matter in the playoff race so one team can play 2 home and 1 away and there wont be an advantage when it comes to that in the standings) and once against each team from the opposing conference for a total of 82 games.

Eastern Conference:

Northeast:

Toronto

Ottawa

Montreal

Quebec

Boston

Buffalo

Pittsburgh

Columbus

Atlantic:

New York

Long Island

New Jersey

Philadelphia

Washington

Carolina

Tampa Bay

Florida

Western Conference:

Central:

Detroit

Chicago

St. Louis

Nashville

Dallas

Minnesota

Colorado

Kansas City (expansion)

Pacific:

Vancouver

Calgary

Edmonton

Winnipeg

San Jose

Los Angeles

Anaheim

Portland or Seattle (expansion)

I put Winnipeg in the Pacific to maintain the rivalry with the other Canadian teams, but they can switch with Colorado if travel becomes an issue. I would love to see Hamilton get a team, but I don't think that'll happen soon..

And the Islanders aren't going anywhere except maybe Brooklyn or Queens.

The Blue Jackets tried. Gordon Gee and OSU were the uncooperative ones. Like we said, :censored: OSU. Not everyone in this city is gaga for the Buckeyes. Some of us are actually quite sick of that massive agricultural institution.

Yeah, but we're talking about, like, one of the most monolithic forces in townie goober sports fandom. For every one of you, there are ten of them. It was a stupid, stupid idea for the league to go toe-to-toe with, of all the state schools anywhere, the one that so thoroughly owns its city and state. I'm sure the Arena District or whatever (next to the Hammock District, on 3rd) is nice and all, but the whole thing is ultimately doomed if Ohio State has a virtually identical arena down the street.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The Blue Jackets tried. Gordon Gee and OSU were the uncooperative ones. Like we said, :censored: OSU. Not everyone in this city is gaga for the Buckeyes. Some of us are actually quite sick of that massive agricultural institution.

Yeah, but we're talking about, like, one of the most monolithic forces in townie goober sports fandom. For every one of you, there are ten of them. It was a stupid, stupid idea for the league to go toe-to-toe with, of all the state schools anywhere, the one that so thoroughly owns its city and state. I'm sure the Arena District or whatever (next to the Hammock District, on 3rd) is nice and all, but the whole thing is ultimately doomed if Ohio State has a virtually identical arena down the street.

A. Quality Simpsons reference. Hank Scorpio would be proud. I do know a place down near the North Market not far from the arena where you can probably get a hammock. It'd probably have a picture of Bob Marley or a cannibis leaf or something, but it'd still be a hammock.

B. the Arena District used to be a dump prison yard and is now a thriving area with a SWEET new ballpark. City officials would lose it (and downtown) if they lost the team. There would be a fight (by fight I mean something greater than what Atlanta did) if the team was in danger of leaving.

C. Value City Arena is only a couple years older and already looks dated whereas Nationwide is still one of the best arenas in North America. Again, worth fighting for. If the Blue Jackets leave, it wouldn't be ideal for OSU to move in and start playing basketball games there. The whole point of building two separate arenas was because OSU wanted their oh so important on-campus facility.

D. It is so townie goober sports fandom I lose my mind on almost a daily basis and it's only gotten worse since the Tressell thing. I've dealt with one yokel saying "we need to distance ourselves from scumbags like Pryor". Replace "scumbags" with the N-word. Note how he said "we" and "ourselves" when it's likely that he never set foot in a college classroom. If the Blue Jackets leave I'm probably gone with them, if I don't beat them out of town.

That said, there's a large white collar population and the city has a history of getting behind winning hockey teams. I still believe in the people of Columbus if you give them a chance.

PvO6ZWJ.png

The Arena District is one of the few examples of where I didn't think it was a bad idea for a city to invest in a sports stadium.

In conjuction with residential area, I think a sports stadium can be used to increase home values. That's about the only thing I've seen where a sports arena can have a noticeable positive economic impact on a city.

Things like restaurants and entertainment venues do nothing. Yes it puts money into the surrounding area, but what you wind up seeing is simply the moving of money from one part of the city to another, and that's because people's entertainment budgets are generally fixed. It doesen't create any new revenue for the city.

I still say though that it was an incredibly dumb move to build two seperate arenas, when there is really no logistical reason why they couldn't have shared. Either move the Blue Jackets to the OSU campus or move OSU basketball to the Nationwide Arena. They could easily run on a Marquette, Villanova, or St. John's schedulue where they play non-conference games on campus and in-conference games at the Nationwide Arena.

The Arena District is one of the few examples of where I didn't think it was a bad idea for a city to invest in a sports stadium.

In conjuction with residential area, I think a sports stadium can be used to increase home values. That's about the only thing I've seen where a sports arena can have a noticeable positive economic impact on a city.

Things like restaurants and entertainment venues do nothing. Yes it puts money into the surrounding area, but what you wind up seeing is simply the moving of money from one part of the city to another, and that's because people's entertainment budgets are generally fixed. It doesen't create any new revenue for the city.

I still say though that it was an incredibly dumb move to build two seperate arenas, when there is really no logistical reason why they couldn't have shared. Either move the Blue Jackets to the OSU campus or move OSU basketball to the Nationwide Arena. They could easily run on a Marquette, Villanova, or St. John's schedulue where they play non-conference games on campus and in-conference games at the Nationwide Arena.

Marquette plays all their home games at the Bradley Center now, I'm pretty sure.

However, on the Nationwide/Value City thing, it's really the two arena's that's done them in. Nationwide funded the place, built it, and they currently own it, so no real public money has been spent on it. However, I'm pretty sure there's been some measures for the city to buy the arena from Nationwide, but none of them have succeeded.

Oh, and Ohio State now manages the day-to-day operation of Nationwide Arena. LOL WUT.

6fQjS3M.png

4 divisions of 7 or 8 teams, top 4 from each division make the playoffs, play down to 1 team from each division, then two "east" divisions and two "west" divisions play, and then the Cup Finals. Just how it used to be. :P

Here's how I'd do it though...

NORTHEAST

Boston

Buffalo

Montreal

New Jersey

New York

New York

Ottawa

Toronto

ATLANTIC

Carolina

Columbus

Florida

Philadelphia

Pittsburgh

Tampa Bay

Washington

CENTRAL

Chicago

Dallas

Detroit

Minnesota

Nashville

St. Louis

Winnipeg

PACIFIC

Anaheim

Calgary

Colorado

Edmonton

Los Angeles

Phoenix

San Jose

Vancouver

6fQjS3M.png

I think my only qualm about that kind of alignment is that it's slightly more likely (57% vs. 50%) that a particular team in a 7-team division can make the playoffs than one in an 8-team division.

Marquette plays all their home games at the Bradley Center now, I'm pretty sure.

However, on the Nationwide/Value City thing, it's really the two arena's that's done them in. Nationwide funded the place, built it, and they currently own it, so no real public money has been spent on it. However, I'm pretty sure there's been some measures for the city to buy the arena from Nationwide, but none of them have succeeded.

Oh, and Ohio State now manages the day-to-day operation of Nationwide Arena. LOL WUT.

I didn't know that Nationwide completely built the thing, but I find that fact to be interesting.

This may be the only arena project in the country where I could see actually being profitable and its built privately. Coincidence?

And how the hell is OSU allowed to run the arena? That has got to be a conflict of interest for them. If its somehow legal its disgusting.

Well since it looks like the NHL is going to need to realign I think it wouldn't be a bad idea to share with you guys my idea. Some of which I've posted here before.

First thing is to recognize that outside of needing to move Atlanta/Winnipeg to the West and a team needing move east is that the NHL has other problems in regards to alignment. Mainly there aren't enough teams in the Mountain and Pacific time zones to sustain a big Western conference because of travel and time zones. That means there a large chunk of games for each team at bad televised teams. Particularly for Eastern Time Zone teams like Detroit and Columbus where they have a significant amount of times at 10pm local time. Another issue is every team does not visit every building, which is a big deal for some.

I think the better solution is to break the conference down further. Instead of having 2 large conferences, have 4 smaller ones. Conference playoffs first two rounds of the playoffs and then you reseed the final 4 teams and have a league wide Semi-final and Final. It is basically the 82-93 playoff format except the divisions become the conferences and they because of expansion are larger so you won't have the same amount of repeats every single year.

The schedule would work like this:

-Play every team outside your conference twice (home and away).

-For the 7 team conferences you play each time 6 times (3 home and 3 away).

-For the 8 team conferences you play 3 teams 6 times (3 home and 3 away) and the other 4 teams 5 times (3 home and 2 away or vice versa, alternating every year).

Total: 82 Games

Top four teams make the playoffs from each conference.

Now for the Conferences:

Western Conference:

Vancouver Canucks

Edmonton Oilers

Calgary Flames

Colorado Avalance

San Jose Sharks

Los Angeles Kings

Anaheim Ducks

Phoenix Coyotes

Central Conference:

Dallas Stars

St. Louis Blues

Minnesota Wild

Winnipeg Jets

Chicago Blackhawks

Detroit Red Wings

Nashville Predators

Northeast Conference:

Boston Bruins

Montreal Canadiens

Ottawa Senators

Toronto Maple Leafs

Buffalo Sabres

Pittsburgh Penguins

Columbus Blue Jackets

Atlantic Conference:

New York Islanders

New York Rangers

New Jersey Devils

Philadelphia Flyers

Washington Capitals

Carolina Hurricanes

Tampa Bay Lightning

Florida Panthers

No division takes up more than 1 timezone. Preserves for the most part existing rivalries and strengthens them with the playoff format.

What are the divisions? Or did you mean conferences? And if you did, I think 2 of the conferences take up more than 1 timezone.

The Division and Conference label is basically interchangeable based on what you want to call it. So it is either 4 conferences no divisions, or 4 divisions and no conferences.

What I meant by timezones was no division/conference has to travel more than 1 timezone away for for division conference play. No the case with the current setup.

i have a feeling the nhl would put pittsburg and washington in the same division to capitalize on that rivalry,

divisions look like this

Northwest

Vancouver

Calgary

Edmonton

Minnesota

Winnipeg

Pacific

Los Angeles

Anaheim

San Jose

Phoenix