The Pointless Realignment Outpost

Lee.

Most efficient format distance wise I can come up with under current MLB scheduling.

72 games played in your own division, 144 in your own league, 18 outside. Total milledge for this would be 1266195

American League

Midwest Division

----------------

Chicago Cubs

Kansas City Royals

Milwaukee Brewers

Minnesota Twins

St. Louis Cardinals

Mountain Division

-----------------

Arizona Diamondbacks

Colorado Rockies

Houston Astros

Seattle Mariners

Texas Rangers

Pacific/California Division

---------------------------

LA Angels of Anaheim

Los Angeles Dodgers

Oakland Athletics

San Diego Padres

San Francisco Giants

National League

Atlantic Division

-----------------

Boston Red Sox

New York Mets

New York Yankees

Philadelphia Phillies

Toronto Blue Jays

Great Lakes

-----------

Chicago White Sox

Cincinnati Reds

Cleveland Tigers

Detroit Tigers

Pittsburgh Pirates

Southeast

---------

Atlanta Braves

Baltimore Orioles

Florida Marlins

Tampa Bay Rays

Washington Nationals

Willing to do others if people give me scheduling formats to work with.

Tiny nitpick: switch the AL with the NL. It feels weird that the Cubs and Cardinals and Giants are in the AL, and the Red Sox and Yankees are in the NL.

25yzwqg.png

Most efficient format distance wise I can come up with under current MLB scheduling.

72 games played in your own division, 144 in your own league, 18 outside. Total mileage for this would be 1266195

American League

Midwest Division

----------------

Chicago Cubs

Kansas City Royals

Milwaukee Brewers

Minnesota Twins

St. Louis Cardinals

Mountain Division

-----------------

Arizona Diamondbacks

Colorado Rockies

Houston Astros

Seattle Mariners

Texas Rangers

Pacific/California Division

---------------------------

LA Angels of Anaheim

Los Angeles Dodgers

Oakland Athletics

San Diego Padres

San Francisco Giants

National League

Atlantic Division

-----------------

Boston Red Sox

New York Mets

New York Yankees

Philadelphia Phillies

Toronto Blue Jays

Great Lakes

-----------

Chicago White Sox

Cincinnati Reds

Cleveland Tigers

Detroit Tigers

Pittsburgh Pirates

Southeast

---------

Atlanta Braves

Baltimore Orioles

Florida Marlins

Tampa Bay Rays

Washington Nationals

Willing to do others if people give me scheduling formats to work with.

Tiny nitpick: switch the AL with the NL. It feels weird that the Cubs and Cardinals and Giants are in the AL, and the Red Sox and Yankees are in the NL.

The only reason I did it that way was I view the NL as the more established league where as the AL is the new league, even though the AL goes back to 1901. The original name of the American League was also the Western League.

I really don't care to be honest though. On average I found that the AL acutually had a more eastern base then the NL did.

My whole thing is just doing away with the whole AL/NL format. I could understand the reasoning for it back in 1910, but in today's game with how spread out the team's have become now, I don't see the point beyond doing it for the sake of tradition.

My MLB realignment/scenario:

After the 2011 season, the MLB decides to expand. They add a team to Charlotte Charlotte and Omaha (to be named later) and go with the football style divisions. Also, they eliminate interleague play except for a weekend and May and a weekend in June where each team will square off against their designated "rivals" (NYY-NYM, CHC-CHW, etc.). Here are the new divisions:

AL

AL East

Boston Red Sox

New York Yankees

Kansas City Royals

Toronto Blue Jays

AL South

Tampa Bay Rays

Charlotte ?????s

Baltimore Orioles

Cleveland Indians

AL North

Chicago White Sox

Milwaukee Brewers

Detroit Tigers

Minnesota Twins

AL West

Texas Rangers

Oakland A's

Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim

Seattle Mariners

NL

NL East

Philadelphia Phillies

New York Mets

Washington Nationals

Pittsburgh Pirates

NL South

Houston Astros

Atlanta Braves

Florida Marlins

Omaha ???????s

NL North

Chicago Cubs

St. Louis Cardinals

Cincinnati Reds

Colorado Rockies

NL West

San Francisco Giants

Arizona Diamondbacks

Los Angeles Dodgers

San Diego Padres

And the interleague matchups:

Boston-Philadelphia

New York-New York

Kansas City-St. Louis

Toronto-Pittsburgh

Tampa Bay-Florida

Charlotte-Atlanta

Baltimore-Washington

Cleveland-Cincinnati

Chicago-Chicago

Milwaukee-Omaha

Detroit-Arizona

Minnesota-Colorado

Texas-Houston

Oakland-San Francisco

Los Angeles-Los Angeles

Seattle-San Diego

Omaha? Never gonna happen. If MLB were to expand there are a lot more markets ahead of Omaha.

After the 2011 season, the MLB decides to expand. They add a team to Charlotte Charlotte and Omaha (to be named later) and go with the football style divisions. Also, they eliminate interleague play except for a weekend and May and a weekend in June where each team will square off against their designated "rivals" (NYY-NYM, CHC-CHW, etc.). Here are the new divisions:

AL

AL East

Boston Red Sox

New York Yankees

Kansas City Royals

Toronto Blue Jays

AL South

Tampa Bay Rays

Charlotte ?????s

Baltimore Orioles

Cleveland Indians

AL North

Chicago White Sox

Milwaukee Brewers

Detroit Tigers

Minnesota Twins

AL West

Texas Rangers

Oakland A's

Seattle Mariners

NL

NL East

Philadelphia Phillies

New York Mets

Washington Nationals

Pittsburgh Pirates

NL South

Houston Astros

Atlanta Braves

Florida Marlins

Omaha ???????s

NL North

Chicago Cubs

St. Louis Cardinals

Cincinnati Reds

Colorado Rockies

NL West

San Francisco Giants

Arizona Diamondbacks

Los Angeles Dodgers

San Diego Padres

Boston-Philadelphia

New York-New York

Kansas City-St. Louis

Toronto-Pittsburgh

Tampa Bay-Florida

Charlotte-Atlanta

Baltimore-Washington

Cleveland-Cincinnati

Chicago-Chicago

Milwaukee-Omaha

Detroit-Arizona

Minnesota-Colorado

Texas-Houston

Oakland-San Francisco

Los Angeles-Los Angeles

Seattle-San Diego

Omaha? Never gonna happen. If MLB were to expand there are a lot more markets ahead of Omaha.

People love baseball there. You know, the College World Series. In Nebraska, it's corn husking, wrestling, and then baseball, you know? :P

25yzwqg.png

AL

AL East

Boston Red Sox

New York Yankees

Kansas City Royals

Toronto Blue Jays

AL South

Tampa Bay Rays

Charlotte ?????s

Baltimore Orioles

Cleveland Indians

AL North

Chicago White Sox

Milwaukee Brewers

Detroit Tigers

Minnesota Twins

AL West

Texas Rangers

Oakland A's

Seattle Mariners

NL

NL East

Philadelphia Phillies

New York Mets

Washington Nationals

Pittsburgh Pirates

NL South

Houston Astros

Atlanta Braves

Florida Marlins

Omaha ???????s

NL North

Chicago Cubs

St. Louis Cardinals

Cincinnati Reds

Colorado Rockies

NL West

San Francisco Giants

Arizona Diamondbacks

Los Angeles Dodgers

San Diego Padres

Boston-Philadelphia

New York-New York

Kansas City-St. Louis

Toronto-Pittsburgh

Tampa Bay-Florida

Charlotte-Atlanta

Baltimore-Washington

Cleveland-Cincinnati

Chicago-Chicago

Milwaukee-Omaha

Detroit-Arizona

Minnesota-Colorado

Texas-Houston

Oakland-San Francisco

Los Angeles-Los Angeles

Seattle-San Diego

People love baseball there. You know, the College World Series. In Nebraska, it's corn husking, wrestling, and then baseball, you know? :P

The CWS is not 81 MLB games. Omaha does not have the market size to support a major league team. Nor the stadium. The new one is in no way equipped for MLB. This is not a Packers situation.

AL

AL East

Boston Red Sox

New York Yankees

Kansas City Royals

Toronto Blue Jays

AL South

Tampa Bay Rays

Charlotte ?????s

Baltimore Orioles

Cleveland Indians

AL North

Chicago White Sox

Milwaukee Brewers

Detroit Tigers

Minnesota Twins

AL West

Texas Rangers

Oakland A's

Seattle Mariners

NL

NL East

Philadelphia Phillies

New York Mets

Washington Nationals

Pittsburgh Pirates

NL South

Houston Astros

Atlanta Braves

Florida Marlins

Omaha ???????s

NL North

Chicago Cubs

St. Louis Cardinals

Cincinnati Reds

Colorado Rockies

NL West

San Francisco Giants

Arizona Diamondbacks

Los Angeles Dodgers

San Diego Padres

Boston-Philadelphia

New York-New York

Kansas City-St. Louis

Toronto-Pittsburgh

Tampa Bay-Florida

Charlotte-Atlanta

Baltimore-Washington

Cleveland-Cincinnati

Chicago-Chicago

Milwaukee-Omaha

Detroit-Arizona

Minnesota-Colorado

Texas-Houston

Oakland-San Francisco

Los Angeles-Los Angeles

Seattle-San Diego

The CWS is not 81 MLB games. Omaha does not have the market size to support a major league team. Nor the stadium. The new one is in no way equipped for MLB. This is not a Packers situation.

Alright, so what city is equipped for an MLB team? And don't say Las Vegas, because I refuse to put a team there, even if it's only my fantasy realignment.

25yzwqg.png

On why Anaheim over Tampa Bay? Because of stronger ownership (Disney over Phil Esposito's group) and a new arena (Anaheim Arena).

Shows how much you know. The St Pete Times Forum was opened in 1996, and is going through new renovations now. The Honda Center was opened in 1990. Also, the Lightnings' new ownership improved the Lightning 12th seed to the Eastern Conference Finals in one season.

I think he was talking about when the franchises were handed out in 1993, Tampa Bay had no arena and a much weaker ownership group at the time, not today in 2011.

6fQjS3M.png

The most viable markets aside from Charlotte are probably Portland and San Antonio. Then probably Sacramento, Salt Lake City, Norfolk, New Jersey ( yes a 3rd NY team) and some others would be ahead of Omaha, though they're not necessarily top market choices. Pretty much Omaha's only chance would be via relocation, and I just don't see any team picking them over some other cities.

On why Anaheim over Tampa Bay? Because of stronger ownership (Disney over Phil Esposito's group) and a new arena (Anaheim Arena).

Shows how much you know. The St Pete Times Forum was opened in 1996, and is going through new renovations now. The Honda Center was opened in 1990. Also, the Lightnings' new ownership improved the Lightning 12th seed to the Eastern Conference Finals in one season.

I think he was talking about when the franchises were handed out in 1993, Tampa Bay had no arena and a much weaker ownership group at the time, not today in 2011.

I apologize if I didn't clarify things a little better but McCall is right in what I meant.

I apologize if I didn't clarify things a little better but McCall is right in what I meant.

What did I say?

What did I say?

I was pointing out that you were right in correcting raysox on what I meant to say about picking Anaheim over Tampa Bay

My 32 team MLB proposal would go like this:

AMERICAN LEAGUE

East

Baltimore Orioles

Boston Red Sox

New York Yankees

Toronto Blue Jays

North

Chicago White Sox

Cleveland Indians

Detroit Tigers

Minnesota Twins

South

Charlotte expansion team

Kansas City Royals

Tampa Bay Rays

Texas Rangers

West

Los Angeles Angels

Oakland A's

Portland Beavers (expansion team -- about time the Rose City gets a Major League ballclub)

Seattle Mariners

NATIONAL LEAGUE

East

New York Mets

Philadelphia Phillies

Pittsburgh Pirates

Washington Nationals

North

Chicago Cubs

Colorado Rockies

Milwaukee Brewers

St. Louis Cardinals

South

Atlanta Braves

Cincinnati Reds

Houston Astros

Miami Marlins

West

Arizona Diamondbacks

Los Angeles Dodgers

San Diego Padres

San Francisco Giants

I also propose expanding the postseason to 12 teams (6 teams -- 4 division champions and 2 wild cards -- in each league).

YOZXkBG.png?1

With the recent realignment talk in the MLB, I think there are two logical decisions they can make with the divisional alignment:

Option 1

Have 15/15 alignment between AL and NL with three divisions each (schedule will be mostly intraleague with more interleague games).

AL

East: Baltimore, Boston, New York, Tampa Bay, Toronto

Central: Chicago, Cleveland, Detroit, Milwaukee, Minnesota.

(If anyone should go to the AL, it's Milwaukee b/c they were there originally.)

West: Kansas City, Los Angeles, Oakland, Seattle, Texas (similar to the old AFC West)

NL

East: Atlanta, Florida, New York, Philadelphia, Washington

Central: Chicago, Cincinnati, Houston, Pittsburgh, Saint Louis.

West: Same as current

Or Option 2

Still 15/15 between AL/NL but each league has one 7-team and 8-team division each.

AL

East: Baltimore, Boston, Chicago, Cleveland, Detroit, New York, Tampa Bay, Toronto (8)

West: Kansas City, Los Angeles, Milwaukee, Minnesota, Oakland, Seattle, Texas (7)

NL

East: Atlanta, Chicago, Cincinnati, Florida, New York, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Washington (8)

West: Arizona, Colorado, Houston, Los Angeles, Saint Louis, San Diego, San Francisco (7)

In addition, the 5-team playoff is a pretty dumb idea (uneven, if anything). I think MLB should either stick with 4 teams or go to 6 teams. With a 6-team playoff: a. Under three division alignment, the 3 division champions plus 3 wild card cards (by record) get to the playoffs. The top two division champions would get byes which will not only make it important to win your division but also to have a better season record hopefully resulting in more/better competition and motivation ("EQUALING RATINGS!!!") or b. Under two division alignment, the 2 division champs would get byes and the other seeds would be determined by record.

Edited by jus2damcrazey219

MetsChiefsEspnSig.gif

College sports as we know them are just about dead. The lid is off on all the corruption that taints just about every major program and every decision that the schools or the NCAA make is only about money, money, and more money. We'll have three 16+ team super-conferences sooner rather than later, killing much of the regional flair and traditional rivalries that make college sports unique and showing the door to any school that doesn't bring money to the table in the process. Pretty soon the smaller schools are going to have to consider forming their own sanctioning body to keep the true spirit of college sports alive because the NCAA will only get worse in it's excess from here

Switched Omaha with San Antonio. I didn't like Portland because they are too close to Seattle for my liking and probably wouldn't do well. Same with SLC, but to Denver instead of Seattle. Norfolk is too obscure, and the NYC area doesn't need 3 teams again.

25yzwqg.png

NHL Realignment for 2012-2013

after a possible move by Phoenix to Houston and a Winnipeg move to the Western Conference

The conferences are unbalanced with 16 in the East and 14 in the West

Western Conference

Pacific Division (All teams in Pacific and Mountain time zones)

Anaheim, Calgary, Colorado, Edmonton, Los Angeles, San Jose, Vancouver

Central Division (All teams in Central time zone)

Chicago, Dallas, Houston, Minnesota, Nashville, St. Louis, Winnipeg

Eastern Conference (All teams in Eastern time zone)

Northeast Division

Boston, Buffalo, Columbus, Detroit, Montreal, Ottawa, Pittsburgh, Toronto

Atlantic Division

Carolina, Florida, New Jersey, N.Y. Islanders, N.Y. Rangers, Philadelphia, Tampa Bay, Washington

after a possible move by Phoenix to Houston and a Winnipeg move to the Western Conference

Western Conference

Pacific Division

Central Division

Eastern Conference

Northeast Division

Atlantic Division

Carolina, Florida, New Jersey, N.Y. Islanders, N.Y. Rangers, Philadelphia, Tampa Bay, Washington

Maybe it's just me, but I don't like the idea of having 14 teams in one conference and 16 in the other. It's making it unfairly difficult for the bottomfeeders of the Eastern Conference as compared to the bottomfeeders of the Western Conference. How about having 15 teams in each conference, with 8 teams in one division and 7 in the other, per conference.

How about moving DET from the Northeast Division to the Central Division, for example?

Just a thought.

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

Western Conference

Pacific Division

Central Division

Eastern Conference

Northeast Division

Atlantic Division

Maybe it's just me, but I don't like the idea of having 14 teams in one conference and 16 in the other. It's making it unfairly difficult for the bottomfeeders of the Eastern Conference as compared to the bottomfeeders of the Western Conference. How about having 15 teams in each conference, with 8 teams in one division and 7 in the other, per conference.

How about moving DET from the Northeast Division to the Central Division, for example?

Just a thought.

Yeah I kind of thought the 16-14 split would be unfair to the eastern bottom feeders but I put all the teams geographically by time zone to make it easier on travel. This all could be changed again especially with the difficulties of Florida, Columbus and N.Y. Islanders. Who knows?

NHL Realignment for 2011-12

WEST

Pacific: Anaheim, Dallas, LA Kings, Phoenix, San Jose

Northwest: Calgary, Colorado, Edmonton, Vancouver, Winnipeg

Central: Chicago, Columbus, Detroit, Minnesota, St Louis

EAST

Atlantic: New Jersey, NY Islanders, NY Rangers, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh

Northeast: Boston, Buffalo, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto

Southeast: Carolina, Florida, Nashville, Tampa Bay, Washington

I've had a crazy idea for a NCAA realignment. It involves an "FBS-like" idea throughout the major college sports. It involves four 24-team conferences, separated into four 6-team divisions. Here is the alignment for football (basketball and other sports have a few teams swapped here and there):

Northeast Conference

North Division

Army - Boston College - Connecticut - Navy - Penn State - Syracuse

South Division

Louisville - Kentucky - Maryland - Virginia - Virginia Tech - West Virginia

East Division

Cincinnati - Notre Dame - Pittsburgh - Purdue - Rutgers - Villanova

West Division

Illinois - Indiana - Michigan - Michigan State - Northwestern - Ohio State

Northwest Conference

North Division

Iowa - Iowa State - Minnesota - Washington - Washington State - Wisconsin

South Division

BYU - Kansas - Kansas State - Nebraska - Utah - Utah State

East Division

Boise State - Fresno State - Idaho - Missouri - Nevada - UNLV

West Division

California - Colorado - Colorado State - Oregon - Oregon State - Stanford

Southeast Conference

North Division

Clemson - Duke - NC State - North Carolina - South Carolina - Wake Forest

South Division

Central Florida - Florida - Florida International - Florida State - Miami - Sout Florida

East Division

Georgia - Georgia Tech - Mississippi State - Ole Miss - Tennessee - Vanderbilt

West Division

Alabama - Arkansas - Auburn - LSU - Marshall - UAB

Southwest Division

North Division

Air Force - Baylor - Oklahoma - Oklahoma State - Tulsa - Wyoming

South Division

New Mexico - New Mexico State - San Diego State - Texas - Texas A&M - Texas Tech

East Division

Houston - Louisiana Tech - Rice - SMU - TCU - UTEP

West Division

Arizona - Arizona State - Hawaii - San Jose State - UCLA - USC

A few bugs to be worked out, but it's alright. Each team plays all division opponents once a season. For playoffs, the top 4 teams in each division (first by overall record, then division record, then head-to-head) make bowl games. The division winner makes one of (now) 8 BCS Bowls, and the rest make non-BCS bowls. All BCS bowls are between 1/1 - 1/8. Non-BCS Bowls are 3-a-day from 12/23 - 12/31 (no games on 12/25). The bottom two teams in each division play another non-qualifier from another division in a "Non-Bowl" game.

MK8_Iggy.pngMK8_Lemmy.pngMK8_Ludwig.pngMK8_Morton.png