The Pointless Realignment Outpost

Lee.

What's not to say that the Yankees actually have a bad year, or the Red Sox or the Rays?

When was the last time the Yankees or Red Sox had a flat-out miserable year? The Yankees haven't had a losing record since 1992, and the Red Sox' last sub-.500 season was in 1997. With their resources, unless a hard salary cap and floor is instituted, they're not going to stop competing anytime soon. The Rays... well, they'll go as far as the farm system will take them. A few bad drafts, and I'll be watching miserable losing baseball again.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

What's not to say that the Yankees actually have a bad year, or the Red Sox or the Rays?

When was the last time the Yankees or Red Sox had a flat-out miserable year? The Yankees haven't had a losing record since 1992, and the Red Sox' last sub-.500 season was in 1997. With their resources, unless a hard salary cap and floor is instituted, they're not going to stop competing anytime soon. The Rays... well, they'll go as far as the farm system will take them. A few bad drafts, and I'll be watching miserable losing baseball again.

It's a bad year when the Yankees don't win the World Series.

It's a great year when the Yankees don't win the World Series.

Corrected.

Interestingly enough, it seems that there is going to be actual re-alignment in mlb, with the Brewers going back to the AL, having never been very comfortable in the NL Central, and then a re-alignment making 6 divisions with five teams in each.

After re-alignment is implemented inter league play will then be implemented on a season long basis, instead of the current lame system.

Re-alignment is scheduled to take place inside of three years.

Interestingly enough, it seems that there is going to be actual re-alignment in mlb, with the Brewers going back to the AL, having never been very comfortable in the NL Central, and then a re-alignment making 6 divisions with five teams in each.

After re-alignment is implemented inter league play will then be implemented on a season long basis, instead of the current lame system.

There has been no legitimate talk whatsoever of the Brewers going back. They were always more of an NL city, they've established far more of a rivalry with the other NL Central teams than they ever did with the AL teams, and no way would they want to. Don't believe every article by some blogger that give the reason "they were in the AL so they should go back" as a legitimate source of what's gonna happen. Nobody who has at least some grasp of the reality of what this may bring believe the Brewers are going back into the American League.

CJWorks' UFL reel-line-mint:

Northwest: 1. Washington 2. Portland 3. Montana 4. Dakota

Southwest: 1. Denver 2. Las Vegas 3. Tucson (Cobras) 4. Phoenix

California: 1. San Francisco 2. San Jose 3. Los Angeles 4. San Diego

Texan: 1. Dallas 2. Houston 3. San Antonio 4. Austin

Northern: 1. Minnesota 2. Detroit 3. Chicago 4. Racine

Northeast: 1. New York A 2. New York B 3. Cleveland 4. Cincinnati

Central: 1. Tennessee 2. St. Louis 3. Topeka 4. New Orleans

Southeast: 1. Asheville 2. Charlotte 3. Miami 4. Florida

My version of CJWorks' UFL realignment:

WESTERN CONFERENCE

Northern

• Dakota Rhinos
  • Minnesota Bruins
  • Montana Grizzlies
  • Portland Huskies

Mountain

• Arizona (Tucson) Cobras
  • Denver Avengers
  • Las Vegas Crows
  • Phoenix Skyhawks

Pacific

• Los Angeles Aztecs
  • San Diego Wildcats
  • San Francisco Bobcats
  • San Jose Outlaws

Southwest

• Austin Lonestars
  • Dallas Talons
  • Houston Longhorns
  • San Antonio Desperados

EASTERN CONFERENCE

Mideast

• Cincinnati Vultures
  • Cleveland Bandits
  • Motor City Mustangs
  • Washington-Baltimore Knights

Atlantic

• Asheville Mountaineers
  • Charlotte Prowlers
  • New York Emperors
  • New York Lightning

Central

• Chicago Dragons
  • Racine Rage
  • St. Louis Rivermen
  • Topeka Indians

Southeast

• Florida (Tampa Bay) Sharks
  • Miami Pirates
  • New Orleans Claws
  • Tennessee (Nashville) Hornets

YOZXkBG.png?1

There has been no legitimate talk whatsoever of the Brewers going back. They were always more of an NL city, they've established far more of a rivalry with the other NL Central teams than they ever did with the AL teams, and no way would they want to. Don't believe every article by some blogger that give the reason "they were in the AL so they should go back" as a legitimate source of what's gonna happen. Nobody who has at least some grasp of the reality of what this may bring believe the Brewers are going back into the American League.

Beat me to it.

The Brewers love being in the NL. Milwaukee loves them being in the NL.

Any talk of the Brewers "having never been very comfortable in the NL Central" is mere projection on a blogger's part.

Beat me to it.

Any talk of the Brewers "having never been very comfortable in the NL Central" is mere projection on a blogger's part.

I wouldn't call Bud Selig a 'blogger' he's the commissioner of mlb, so his words carry just a teeny bit more weight, at least with smart knowledgeable people.

And spare me the bull :censored: about Milwaukee being an NL town. If that was true then how come they let the Braves leave nearly 50 years ago and how come there were no protests or mobs marching through the streets with torches and pitchforks when the Brewers joined the AL?

And I guarantee the Brewers don't 'love' being in the only division in mlb with six teams, thereby diminishing their chances of getting to the playoffs substantially. I mean, isn't the object of playing 162 games to get to the playoffs and WS or am I missing something?

Beat me to it.

I wouldn't call Bud Selig a 'blogger' he's the commissioner of mlb, so his words carry just a teeny bit more weight, at least with smart knowledgeable people.

And spare me the bull :censored: about Milwaukee being an NL town. If that was true then how come they let the Braves leave nearly 50 years ago and how come there were no protests or mobs marching through the streets with torches and pitchforks when the Brewers joined the AL?

And I guarantee the Brewers don't 'love' being in the only division in mlb with six teams, thereby diminishing their chances of getting to the playoffs substantially. I mean, isn't the object of playing 162 games to get to the playoffs and WS or am I missing something?

A. Bud was the one who moved them to the NL in the first place. HE always considered them an NL town. And I'd like to see where he said they were possibly moving. Source?

B. Bud had no say in the Braves. He wanted another team back in Milwaukee BECAUSE the Braves left. So he bought and moved the Seattle Pilots to Milwaukee. They were an AL team. He had no choice at the time. To make it fair, he gave Kansas City the first option to switch to the NL in 1998. They declined. The Brewers were next and accepted. What does that tell ya?

C. If another team moves, the Central becomes a 5-team division like every other one. So how would they be b****ing?

Because of the attitude you're presenting, I'm just gonna flat out say it. I don't believe a single thing you say.

Well, since the baseball plan flopped (badly, might I add), it's time to head to another sport: College Football.

The current plan is to keep it at 120 teams, so the four that are moving up (Umass, South Alabama, Texas State and Texas-San Antonio) would have to stay at the FCS level.

There would be 10 conference of 12 teams, meaning one conference will be dissolved.

Let's begin, shall we?

ACC

The ACC drops Boston College for East Carolina. That's the biggest move they make.

ACC Coastal

-Duke

-North Carolina

-Maryland

-Virginia

-Virginia Tech

-Wake Forest

ACC Atlantic

-Clemson

-East Carolina

-Florida State

-Georgia Tech

-Miami of Florida

-North Carolina State

Big East

The Big East makes the most moves in the new format. They add Army, Navy, Temple and Boston College to the mix.

Big East North

-Army

-Boston College

-UConn

-Rutgers

-Syracuse

-Temple

Big East South

-Cincinnati

-Louisville

-Pittsburgh

-Navy

-South Florida

-West Virginia

Big Ten

The Big Ten finally gets Notre Dame to join after years of courting them. They replace Nebraska in this realignment plan.

Big Ten Lakes

-Indiana

-Michigan

-Michigan State

-Ohio State

-Penn State

-Notre Dame

Big Ten Plains

-Illinois

-Iowa

-Minnesota

-Northwestern

-Purdue

-Wisconsin

Big 12

With Nebraska returning to the fold, the Big 12 remains, for the most part, unchanged.

Big 12 North

-Colorado

-Iowa State

-Kansas

-Kansas State

-Missouri

-Nebraska

Big 12 South

-Baylor

-Oklahoma

-Oklahoma State

-Texas

-Texas A&M

-Texas Tech

Mountain West

The Mountain West gets Utah and BYU back plus the schools they will add from the WAC in Boise State, Fresno State, and Nevada.

Mountain West Mountain

-Air Force

-BYU

-Colorado State

-New Mexico

-TCU

-Wyoming

Mountain West West

-Boise State

-Fresno State

-Nevada

-San Diego State

-UNLV

-Utah

Pac-12

The Pac-12 gets San Jose State and Hawaii to replace Utah and Colorado in the plan.

Pac-12 North

-California

-Oregon

-Oregon State

-Stanford

-Washington

-Washington State

Pac-12 South

-Arizona

-Arizona State

-Hawaii

-San Jose State

-UCLA

-USC

SEC

No changes in the SEC.

SEC East

-Florida

-Georgia

-Kentucky

-South Carolina

-Tennessee

-Vanderbilt

SEC West

-Alabama

-Arkansas

-Auburn

-LSU

-Mississippi

-Mississippi State

Conference USA

Conference USA keeps most of it's members despite losing East Carolina to the ACC. To replace East Carolina, C-USA adds Louisiana Tech to it's West Division and moves Tulane to the East.

Conference USA East

-Central Florida

-Marshall

-Memphis

-Southern Miss

-Tulane

-UAB

Conference USA West

-Houston

-Louisiana Tech

-Rice

-SMU

-Tulsa

-UTEP

Mid-American

After losing Temple, the MAC stays put.

Mid-American East

-Akron

-Bowling Green

-Buffalo

-Kent State

-Miami of Ohio

-Ohio

Mid-American West

-Ball State

-Central Michigan

-Eastern Michigan

-Northern Illnois

-Toledo

-Western Michigan

Sun Belt

The Sun Belt welcomes back Utah State, New Mexico State and Idaho (former Sun Belt members) back to the fold. This also effectively kills off the WAC.

Sun Belt East

-Florida Atlantic

-Florida International

-Middle Tennessee

-Troy

-UL Monroe

-Western Kentucky

Sun Belt West

-Arkansas State

-Idaho

-New Mexico State

-North Texas

-UL Lafayette

-Utah State

A playoff system will also be added on.

-10 team playoff, conference champions only.

-Teams will be seeded via conference position in the Conference RPI.

-First Round games are #10 Seed at #7 Seed and #9 Seed at #8 Seed

-The Quarterfinals are also held at the higher seed.

-The current BCS bowls will host the Semifinals, Third Place Game and National Championship. It'll rotate between the four games every year.

-Teams that don't make the playoffs will be allowed to play in other bowl games.

Just out of curiosity, would it be feasible for the current version of the Washington Nationals to switch from the National League to the American League?

Not as long as Peter Angelos owns the Orioles.

That's exactly why I would want the Nats in the AL. ^_^

Another pointless NHL alignment:

Clarence Campbell Conference

Smythe Division

Anaheim Ducks

Calgary Flames

Colorado Avalanche

Edmonton Oilers

Los Angeles Kings

Phoenix Coyotes

San Jose Sharks

Vancouver Canucks

Norris Division

Chicago Blackhawks

Dallas Stars

Detroit Red Wings

Minnesota Wild

Nashville Predators

St. Louis Blues

Winnipeg Jets

Prince of Wales Conference

Adams Division

Boston Bruins

Buffalo Sabres

Columbus Blue Jackets

Montreal Canadiens

Ottawa Senators

Pittsburgh Penguins

Toronto Maple Leafs

Patrick Division

Carolina Hurricanes

Florida Panthers

New Jersey Devils

New York Islanders

New York Rangers

Philadelphia Flyers

Tampa Bay Lightning

Washington Capitals

I've made some revisions and additions to my MLB realignment. Here's a quick explanation:

32 teams, football style divisions. NO WILD CARDS. This way, the Yankees and Red Sox actually have to fight each other for a spot in the playoffs, instead of just being all like "Oh, well if we don't get the division we still get the wild card". Also, the only interleague play is against each teams predesignated rivals (Cubs-White Sox, Yankees-Mets, Rays-Marlins, etc). You play 28 games (14 home, 14 away) against each division opponent, 6 games against each team in the other three divisions of your league, and 6 games agaisnst your interleague rival. This will work so, on the last weekend in May, every NL team will play a Friday-Saturday-Sunday series in the AL park. NL parks will be closed for the weekend. Same thing on the second weekend in June, except NL parks run the show (Yes! A whole weekend with no DH!)

Add up the games and it's 162. (84 intradivisional, 72 interdivisional, and 6 interleague).

Here are the updated divisions:

AL East

New York Yankees

Boston Red Sox

Detroit Tigers

Toronto Blue Jays

AL South

Tampa Bay Rays

Charlotte expansion team

Baltimore Orioles

Cleveland Indians

AL North

Milwaukee Brewers

Minnesota Twins

Albuquerque expansion team

Chicago White Sox

AL West

Seattle Mariners

Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim

Texas Rangers

Oakland Athletics

NL East

Philadelphia Phillies

Washington Nationals

Pittsburgh Pirates

New York Mets

NL South

Florida Marlins

Atlanta Braves

Houston Astros

Kansas City Royals

NL North

Chicago Cubs

Colorado Rockies

St. Louis Cardinals

Cincinnati Reds

NL West

Arizona Diamondbacks

San Francisco Giants

Los Angeles Dodgers

San Diego Padres

Oops, forgot the interleague matchups. Here they are:

NYY-NYM

CHC-CHW

KC-ABQ

FLA-TB

ATL-CLT

MIL-STL

BAL-WSH

BOS-PHI

SD-SEA

SF-OAK

LAA-LAD

ARI-DET

MIN-COL

CLE-CIN

TOR-PIT

TEX-HOU

25yzwqg.png

Clarence Campbell Conference

Smythe Division

Anaheim Ducks

San Jose Sharks

Los Angeles Kings

Calgary Flames

Colorado Avalanche

Edmonton Oilers

Vancouver Canucks

Winnipeg Jets

Norris Division

Chicago Blackhawks

Detroit Red Wings

Dallas Stars

St. Louis Blues

Minnesota Wild

Toronto Maple Leafs

Phoenix Coyotes

Prince of Wales Conference

Adams Division

Boston Bruins

Buffalo Sabres

Montreal Canadiens

Ottawa Senators

Carolina Hurricanes

Nashville Predators

Tampa Bay Lightning

Patrick Division

Florida Panthers

New Jersey Devils

New York Islanders

New York Rangers

Philadelphia Flyers

Columbus Blue Jackets

Washington Capitals

Pittsburgh Penguins

sport-scarf_celtic-2_zps105bfcbf.png

I've made some revisions and additions to my MLB realignment. Here's a quick explanation:

32 teams, football style divisions. NO WILD CARDS. This way, the Yankees and Red Sox actually have to fight each other for a spot in the playoffs, instead of just being all like "Oh, well if we don't get the division we still get the wild card". Also, the only interleague play is against each teams predesignated rivals (Cubs-White Sox, Yankees-Mets, Rays-Marlins, etc). You play 28 games (14 home, 14 away) against each division opponent, 6 games against each team in the other three divisions of your league, and 6 games agaisnst your interleague rival. This will work so, on the last weekend in May, every NL team will play a Friday-Saturday-Sunday series in the AL park. NL parks will be closed for the weekend. Same thing on the second weekend in June, except NL parks run the show (Yes! A whole weekend with no DH!)

Add up the games and it's 162. (84 intradivisional, 72 interdivisional, and 6 interleague).

AL East

New York Yankees

Boston Red Sox

Detroit Tigers

Toronto Blue Jays

AL South

Tampa Bay Rays

Charlotte expansion team

Baltimore Orioles

Cleveland Indians

AL North

Milwaukee Brewers

Minnesota Twins

Chicago White Sox

AL West

Seattle Mariners

Texas Rangers

Oakland Athletics

NL East

Philadelphia Phillies

Washington Nationals

Pittsburgh Pirates

New York Mets

NL South

Florida Marlins

Atlanta Braves

Houston Astros

Kansas City Royals

NL North

Chicago Cubs

Colorado Rockies

St. Louis Cardinals

Cincinnati Reds

NL West

Arizona Diamondbacks

San Francisco Giants

Los Angeles Dodgers

San Diego Padres

NYY-NYM

CHC-CHW

KC-ABQ

FLA-TB

ATL-CLT

MIL-STL

BAL-WSH

BOS-PHI

SD-SEA

SF-OAK

LAA-LAD

ARI-DET

MIN-COL

CLE-CIN

TOR-PIT

TEX-HOU

Having entire weekends with no host games for an entire league makes about as much sense as Cleveland in the South division and an MLB team in Albuquerque, which is none.

AL East

New York Yankees

Boston Red Sox

Detroit Tigers

Toronto Blue Jays

AL South

Tampa Bay Rays

Charlotte expansion team

Baltimore Orioles

Cleveland Indians

AL North

Milwaukee Brewers

Minnesota Twins

Chicago White Sox

AL West

Seattle Mariners

Texas Rangers

Oakland Athletics

NL East

Philadelphia Phillies

Washington Nationals

Pittsburgh Pirates

New York Mets

NL South

Florida Marlins

Atlanta Braves

Houston Astros

Kansas City Royals

NL North

Chicago Cubs

Colorado Rockies

St. Louis Cardinals

Cincinnati Reds

NL West

Arizona Diamondbacks

San Francisco Giants

Los Angeles Dodgers

San Diego Padres

NYY-NYM

CHC-CHW

KC-ABQ

FLA-TB

ATL-CLT

MIL-STL

BAL-WSH

BOS-PHI

SD-SEA

SF-OAK

LAA-LAD

ARI-DET

MIN-COL

CLE-CIN

TOR-PIT

TEX-HOU

Having entire weekends with no host games for an entire league makes about as much sense as Cleveland in the South division and an MLB team in Albuquerque, which is none.

Nothing wrong with having Cleveland in the South division. It's all just a matter of where teams best fit relative to the other teams. If the Columbus NHL team can be placed in the Western Conference, a Cleveland baseball team can be placed in a Southern Division.

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

AL East

New York Yankees

Boston Red Sox

Detroit Tigers

Toronto Blue Jays

AL South

Tampa Bay Rays

Charlotte expansion team

Baltimore Orioles

Cleveland Indians

AL North

Milwaukee Brewers

Minnesota Twins

Chicago White Sox

AL West

Seattle Mariners

Texas Rangers

Oakland Athletics

NL East

Philadelphia Phillies

Washington Nationals

Pittsburgh Pirates

New York Mets

NL South

Florida Marlins

Atlanta Braves

Houston Astros

Kansas City Royals

NL North

Chicago Cubs

Colorado Rockies

St. Louis Cardinals

Cincinnati Reds

NL West

Arizona Diamondbacks

San Francisco Giants

Los Angeles Dodgers

San Diego Padres

NYY-NYM

CHC-CHW

KC-ABQ

FLA-TB

ATL-CLT

MIL-STL

BAL-WSH

BOS-PHI

SD-SEA

SF-OAK

LAA-LAD

ARI-DET

MIN-COL

CLE-CIN

TOR-PIT

TEX-HOU

Nothing wrong with having Cleveland in the South division. It's all just a matter of where teams best fit relative to the other teams. If the Columbus NHL team can be placed in the Western Conference, a Cleveland baseball team can be placed in a Southern Division.

Actually it does matter in baseball. You can get away with a minor one, but not this. Baseball isn't like football where everybody plays on basically the same day once a week. They also have set times. In baseball you play just about everyday with the occasional day off. And you sometimes go from city to city on back to back game days. Here the distance of travel plays a more significant role.

All of this plus putting Cleveland in a division away from the other AL Central or even East teams just doesn't make sense.

AL East

New York Yankees

Boston Red Sox

Detroit Tigers

Toronto Blue Jays

AL South

Tampa Bay Rays

Charlotte expansion team

Baltimore Orioles

Cleveland Indians

AL North

Milwaukee Brewers

Minnesota Twins

Chicago White Sox

AL West

Seattle Mariners

Texas Rangers

Oakland Athletics

NL East

Philadelphia Phillies

Washington Nationals

Pittsburgh Pirates

New York Mets

NL South

Florida Marlins

Atlanta Braves

Houston Astros

Kansas City Royals

NL North

Chicago Cubs

Colorado Rockies

St. Louis Cardinals

Cincinnati Reds

NL West

Arizona Diamondbacks

San Francisco Giants

Los Angeles Dodgers

San Diego Padres

NYY-NYM

CHC-CHW

KC-ABQ

FLA-TB

ATL-CLT

MIL-STL

BAL-WSH

BOS-PHI

SD-SEA

SF-OAK

LAA-LAD

ARI-DET

MIN-COL

CLE-CIN

TOR-PIT

TEX-HOU

Actually it does matter in baseball. You can get away with a minor one, but not this. Baseball isn't like football where everybody plays on basically the same day once a week. They also have set times. In baseball you play just about everyday with the occasional day off. And you sometimes go from city to city on back to back game days. Here the distance of travel plays a more significant role.

All of this plus putting Cleveland in a division away from the other AL Central or even East teams just doesn't make sense.

Think about it for a second. Tampa Bay and Boston are currently both in the AL East. No one complains about the alignment of that division, and the distance from Tampa to Boston is actually greater than the distance from Tampa to Cleveland. And it's a lot greater than Charlotte to Cleveland and Baltimore to Cleveland. It's the same deal in the NL East right now with the Marlins and Phillies (or Mets). So, it's really not that big of an issue.

And I would like to here your explanation on how an Albuquerque expansion team wouldn't work (considering their AAA team, the Isotopes, currently draw more than some MLB teams do on some days *cough* Florida, Baltimore, Tampa Bay *cough*), and how the interleague weekend deals don't make sense.

Thanks for playing. B)

25yzwqg.png