The Pointless Realignment Outpost

Lee.

^^^ Where would the Denver Pioneers, Georgetown Hoyas and Villanova Wildcats play at?

Edit: **** page breaks.

As in....?

What, stadiums?

yes, stadiums.

Well....

- Denver has Mile High Stadium (or whatever the hell they're calling it now)

- Villanova has PPL park, a SSS PERFECT for a school of Villanova's size.

- Georgetown has RFK, FedEx, or (if they get one of their own) DC United's stadium. OR they can expand the tiny stadium they have now.

Then again, all three could build their own stadiums on or close to campus, so who knows? Ten years is a long time.

XXFrXXX.png?1

140khld.jpg
7fwPZnE.png
8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

My question is why would the Mountain West Conference play their Championship Game at the University of Phoenix Stadium in Glendale, Arizona? You do know that the stadium is in Arizona State Territory.

My question is why would the Mountain West Conference play their Championship Game at the University of Phoenix Stadium in Glendale, Arizona? You do know that the stadium is in Arizona State Territory.

It would make more sense for Denver, Colorado and Sports Authority Field at Mile High to host the MWAC Championship Game.

YOZXkBG.png?1

My proposal for possible NHL realignment. This a non expansion and non Coyotes relocation proposal.

Prince Of Wales

Central

Montreal Canadiens

Chicago Blackhawks

Detroit Red Wings

Midwest

St. Louis Blues

Winnipeg Jets

Minnesota Wild

Northwest

Calgary Flames

Edmonton Oilers

Colorado Avalanche

Southwest

San Jose Sharks

Phoenix Coyotes

Dallas Stars

Northeast

Buffalo Sabres

New York Islanders

Ottawa Senators

Clarence Campbell

North

Toronto Maple Leafs

Boston Bruins

New York Rangers

Mid-East

Columbus Blue Jackets

Nashville Predators

Carolina Hurricanes

Pacific

Anaheim Ducks

Vancouver Canucks

Los Angeles Kings

Southeast

Florida Panthers

Tampa Bay Lightning

Washington Capitals

Atlantic

Philadelphia Flyers

New Jersey Devils

Pittsburgh Penguins

Schedule

82 game schedule is kept. Teams will play 18 divisional games (9 home and 9 away). 54 out of division games (27 home and 27 away) the remaining 10 games would be divided among conference and rivalries.

Playoffs

5 automatic spots for division winners. With 3 "wild card" spots. Teams will be seeded 1-8 based on record (no advantage given to division winners). 2-3-2 format for all series. Extra time off in between games will be given for travel, depending on teams in series. Example If Vancouver played Washington in the first round. An extra day off would be given in between games.

It would make more sense for Denver, Colorado and Sports Authority Field at Mile High to host the MWAC Championship Game.

Actually, that would make more sense.

And now that I think about it, I'd swap Texas State and UTSA.

XXFrXXX.png?1

140khld.jpg
7fwPZnE.png
8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

My proposal for possible NHL realignment. This a non expansion and non Coyotes relocation proposal.

Prince Of Wales

Central

Montreal Canadiens

Chicago Blackhawks

Detroit Red Wings

Midwest

St. Louis Blues

Winnipeg Jets

Minnesota Wild

Northwest

Calgary Flames

Edmonton Oilers

Colorado Avalanche

Southwest

San Jose Sharks

Phoenix Coyotes

Dallas Stars

Northeast

Buffalo Sabres

New York Islanders

Ottawa Senators

Clarence Campbell

North

Toronto Maple Leafs

Boston Bruins

New York Rangers

Mid-East

Columbus Blue Jackets

Nashville Predators

Carolina Hurricanes

Pacific

Anaheim Ducks

Vancouver Canucks

Los Angeles Kings

Southeast

Florida Panthers

Tampa Bay Lightning

Washington Capitals

Atlantic

Philadelphia Flyers

New Jersey Devils

Pittsburgh Penguins

Schedule

82 game schedule is kept. Teams will play 18 divisional games (9 home and 9 away). 54 out of division games (27 home and 27 away) the remaining 10 games would be divided among conference and rivalries.

Playoffs

5 automatic spots for division winners. With 3 "wild card" spots. Teams will be seeded 1-8 based on record (no advantage given to division winners). 2-3-2 format for all series. Extra time off in between games will be given for travel, depending on teams in series. Example If Vancouver played Washington in the first round. An extra day off would be given in between games.

3-team divisions in a 30 team league is too few. You probably need to go at least 5.

Heh. I presented a similar 3-team pod format earlier in the thread. McCall, don't you mean to say that 3-team divisions in a 30-team league is too MANY divisions, in your view?

Why? I think the issue that may be going on here is one of semantics. The notion of a 'division' needing to have a certain number of teams seems to indicate that the minimum need be 4 or 5, based on your argument. That's why I (and the guy I borrowed the idea from) referred to the groupings as 'pods', meant to indicate a smaller numbered grouping than a 'division' would be. He rationalized it based on teams having more focused rivalries with only a couple of teams each, rather than 4 to 7 others in larger division formats.

In his words: "Everyone loves home-and-home series which mean to 120+ minutes of game-time against ?those same bastards? in very few days (PIMs galore!)"

I'll show you the link here.

I actually liked the idea of 3 team pods and having a MLB/NFL styled wild card addition to the playoffs.

Another proposal I was thinking of, involves the NHL adding 2 teams and going with the 4 conference idea. This is what I came up with.

Smythe Conference

Seattle Metros (expansion)

Calgary Flames

Edmonton Oilers

Anaheim Ducks

Vancouver Canucks

L.A. Kings

San Jose Sharks

Phoenix Coyotes

Norris Conference

Winnipeg Jets

Minnesota Wild

Chicago Blackhawks

Detroit Red Wings

Buffalo Sabres

Toronto Maple Leafs

Ottawa Senators

Montreal Canadiens

Adams Conference

Quebec Nordiques (expansion)

Boston Bruins

New York Rangers

New York Islanders

New Jersey Devils

Philadelphia Flyers

Pittsburgh Penguins

Washington Capitals

Patrick Conference

Florida Panthers

Tampa Bay Lightning

Columbus Blue Jackets

Nashville Predators

Carolina Hurricanes

Dallas Stars

Colorado Avalanche

St. Louis Blues

Schedule

Season remains 82 games. Teams will play each conference rival (min.) 4 times a season (2 home, 2 road) for a total of 28 games. Teams will play each non conference team (min.) 2 times a year for a total of 48 games. The remaining 6 games will be divided up based on geographical proximity and rivalry.

Playoffs

The top 4 teams from each the Norris and Symthe conferences will be seeded 1-8 based on record . That side of the playoff bracket to be known as the Prince Of Wales bracket. The top 4 teams from each the Adams and Patrick conferences will be seeded 1-8 based on record. That bracket will be know as the Clarence Campbell bracket. Playoff format will be 2-3-2. Amount of travel between playoff locations will be considered in how much time in between games 2 and 3, 5 and 6.

The Colorado Avalanche get screwed though having to travel to places like Columbus and Raleigh.

Yeah, I realized that later on when I went back through it. Gonna reexamine it and move them. Either make one conference bigger or swap teams (unsure of who to swap with).

I think the NHL is more on the side of contraction and going down to 28 teams, which would still allow for four even conferences, just of 7 rather than 8. Or if "contraction" just sounds bad, "merge" a couple teams (but include Quebec in the 28). Here's what I would "do" (a merger probably wouldn't go down):

West: ANA, CLG, COL, EDM, LA, SJ, VAN

Central: STL, CHI, DAL, DET, MIN, NSH, WIN

North: BOS, BUF, MON, OTT, QUE, PIT, TOR

East: CAR, NJ, NYI, NYR, PHI, TB, WSH

(I basically just merged Phoenix, Columbus and Florida into Quebec)

I'll figure out a schedule formula later.

Why the heck would Buffalo want to play with all those big boys?

The last three times Buffalo has played a top 25 team in basketball they have kept it within 8 points. The football team isn't that bad, well now they are, but they were beasts in '08. I can see them possibly moving to the Big Ten in about ten years or so. And I'm pretty sure that they would rather play Ohio State in basketball/football rather than Eastern Michigan

Woah! You think I'm Cody? My name is Carl Scott Simone and we just happen to share a birthday. BIG DEAL.

The last three times Buffalo has played a top 25 team in basketball they have kept it within 8 points. The football team isn't that bad, well now they are, but they were beasts in '08. I can see them possibly moving to the Big Ten in about ten years or so. And I'm pretty sure that they would rather play Ohio State in basketball/football rather than Eastern Michigan

Is the Big Ten looking for member #30 at the time of this expansion? Because that's about where the Bulls lie on the expansion priority list.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Is the Big Ten looking for member #30 at the time of this expansion? Because that's about where the Bulls lie on the expansion priority list.

30? Being a little kind there, aren't ya?

30? Being a little kind there, aren't ya?

Presumably most of I-A has been spoken for by now.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Yes, I totally see the Big Ten saying "screw consistent success and relevance, let Buffalo in because they were beasts in '08" ten years from now. Solid logic.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12