The Pointless Realignment Outpost

Lee.

Truth. Buffalo gets a Big Ten invite after UNLV amd before Texas-San Marcos.

Thank you, Nostradamus.

I was replying to an earlier post and didn't realize which page I was on in the thread.

Someone was making a strong case for Buffalo, of all schools, to join the B1G next.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

Thank you, Nostradamus.

I was replying to an earlier post and didn't realize which page I was on in the thread.

Someone was making a strong case for Buffalo, of all schools, to join the B1G next.

I know what you were referring to. I was referring to the ridiculousness of said reference.

Thank you, Nostradamus.

.... a STRONG case?

More like: being a leftover. They can't just join, they have to be invited.

XXFrXXX.png?1

140khld.jpg
7fwPZnE.png
8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Well, they're not playing any NHL hockey, so what else is there to talk about? I put together some radical, out-there realignment proposals, because the realistic proposals are boring!

realignment3.png

Three-team divisions! What's not to love? A ridiculously intra-division-heavy schedule, for one thing. The schedule I came up is as follows:

- 8 games vs. teams in same division

- 3 games vs. teams in same conference

- 1 home and 2 away vs. two of the divisions, 2 home and 1 away vs. the other two divisions, rotating by season

- 2 games (home and away) vs. teams in other conference

So that's not a lot of variety in opponents throughout the season, which is the main reason why, as nice as the map looks, this would be entirely unrealistic. I think my playoff bracket seems fair and equitable, though. I'm proud of that part.

The other realignment idea I had was even weirder:

realignment2.png

Five six-team divisions, no conferences! And for this one I couldn't even come up with anything resembling a balanced schedule at all, so it's just a pretty map and a hypothetical playoff bracket, odds on one side and evens on the other.

So, a couple of screwball realignment proposals for your viewing pleasure! That's what we're here for, right?

• 2 weeks later...

If baseball ever gets two more teams, schedules can work out like so:

Four divisions of eight

12 games against each divisional team, six home, six away - 84 games

9 games against each team in the other division (third series alternates home site every other year) - 72 games

6 games against designated interleague team

162 total.

First and second place teams in each season play in the best-of-seven LDS, so forth from there

Portland and San Antonio for new AL teams, Houston back to whence it came?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Since a lot of people (including myself) belive that the NFL will return to Los Angeles within the next five years, I thought it would be a good time to shake things up with the divisions. I personally feel that it will be Jacksonville that will relocate to LA, since they seem to struggle with attendance even when they are doing well.

My idea to "shake things up" is to finnaly do away with the AFC/NFC format and move to an East/West format. These are the divisions I have made up (I'm open to division name ideas, this is just what I came up with quickly)

EAST

North Atlantic

New England Patriots

Buffalo Bills

New York Giants

New York Jets

South Atlantic

Miami Dolphins

Tampa Bay Bucs

Atlanta Falcons

Carolina Panthers

Mid-Atlantic

Philidelphia Eagles

Pittsburgh Steelers

Washington Redskins

Baltimore Ravens

Central

Detroit Lions

Cleveland Browns

Cinncinati Bengals

Indianapolis Colts

WEST

Pacific

Oakland Raiders

San Francsico 49ers

San Diego Chargers

Los Angeles (insert name, as long as its not Jaguars lol)

Gulf

New Orleans Saints

Dallas Cowboys

Houston Texans

Tennesee Titans

Mid-West

Seattle Seahawks

Minnesota Vikings

Denver Broncos

Arizona Cardinals

Undicided(haha)

Green Bay Packers

Chicago Bears

St. Louis Rams

Kansas City Chiefs

What do you guys think?

Here's what I would change

EAST

North Atlantic

New England Patriots

Buffalo Bills

Cleveland Browns

New York Jets

South Atlantic

Miami Dolphins

Tampa Bay Bucs

Atlanta Falcons

Carolina Panthers

Mid-Atlantic

Philadelphia Eagles

Dallas Cowboys

Washington Redskins

New York Giants

Central

Pittsburgh Steelers

Baltimore Ravens

Cinncinati Bengals

Indianapolis Colts

WEST

Pacific

Oakland Raiders

San Francsico 49ers

San Diego Chargers

Los Angeles (insert name, as long as its not Jaguars lol)

Gulf

New Orleans Saints

Kansas City Chiefs

Houston Texans

Tennesee Titans

Mountain

Seattle Seahawks

St. Louis Rams

Denver Broncos

Arizona Cardinals

North

Green Bay Packers

Chicago Bears

Minnesota Vikings

Detroit Lions

I understand about baseball because of the different rules, but the NFL has moved teams to other conferences before (seattle) and it has added quite a few teams since the days of the AFL. I dont think they ever would go to East/West and I dont necessarily think they should, it was more of just a fun kinda thing ya know.

If they were to move Jacksonville to LA in reality they should swith JAX and KC, but they wont, they will just have a dumb division that is spread across the country because too many people dont want to split up a "great rivalry" like KC and OAK.

The Big East has added teams that don't fit the Eastern or "Big East reputation" requirement and the real Big East schools have left for the ACC. Here is a scenario where the football minded half of the ACC and Big East form a new conference and the Basketball powerhouses form the strongest conference of all time.

Metro

Florida State

Miami

Clemson

Georgia Tech

Louisville

Cincinnati

USF

UCF

Houston

SMU

Memphis

Virginia Tech

The reincarnated Metro adds old teams such as FSU, Lousiville, VT, Memphis and Cincinnati along with many former Conference USA members. Almost all Metro teams are still located in urban areas.

Big East

Wake Forest

NC State

UNC

Duke

Virginia

Maryland

Georgetown

Villanova

Rutgers

St. John's

Seton Hall

Pittsburgh

Syracuse

Notre Dame

Boston College

Connecticut

Providence

Teams from this new Big East Conference have won 9 out of the last 13 NCAA Nat'l Championships. A trade off for this conference would be a weak football conference.

In an unprecedented move that will suck the life out of summer, the month of August has acquired Tax Day from April in exchange for InternationAl Beer Day (August 5th) and the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally (first week of August). In addition to receiving Tax Day, August receives World Health Day (April 7th), Patriot's Day (April 21st), and Take Our Daughters And Sons To Work Day (fourth Thursday of the month). The trade is being reviewed by the League Office and will become official pending results of the physicals.

Meh, no real stand out players in that bunch International Beer Day is a nice little player, but he won't be winning the MVP any time soon

EDIT: Breaking News out of the June camp! June has traded Father's Day, Flag Day, June 23rd, and a 2nd Round Draft Pick, in exchange for New Year's Eve and Kwanzaa!!!! This HAS to make June a major contender

Just read this pointlessly, and I think Kwanzaa is one of the most underrated days in the league, always being overshadowed by Christmas, hannuksh, new years, etc

The NEW NHL after Buttman, Fehr, and all the a'holes are ousted by the fans!

EASTERN- ATLANTIC

Detroit Red Wings, New Jersey Devils, New York Rangers, Philadelphia Flyers, Pittsburgh Penguins, Washington Capitals

EASTERN- NORTHEAST

Boston Bruins, Buffalo Sabres, Hamilton Tigers, Montreal Canadiens, Ottawa Senators, Quebec Nordiques, Toronto Maple Leafs

WESTERN- CENTRAL

Chicago Blackhawks, Cincinnati Stingers, Houston Aeros, Minnesota North Stars, St. Louis Blues, Winnipeg Jets

WESTERN- PACIFIC

Calgary Flames, Colorado Avalanche, Edmonton Oilers, Los Angeles Kings, San Jose Sharks, Seattle Totems, Vancouver Canucks

The NFL, the way it should have been...

AFC EAST

Baltimore Ravens, Buffalo Bills, New England Patriots, New York Jets

AFC SOUTH

Houston Texans, Miami Dolphins, St. Louis Stallions (from Jax), Tennessee Titans

AFC NORTH

Cincinnati Bengals, Cleveland Browns, Indianapolis Colts, Pittsburgh Steelers

AFC WEST

Denver Broncos, Kansas City Chiefs, Oakland Raiders, San Diego Chargers

NFC EAST

Carolina Panthers, New York Giants, Philadelphia Eagles, Washington Redskins

NFC SOUTH

Atlanta Falcons, Dallas Cowboys, New Orleans Saints, Tampa Bay Buccaneers

NFC NORTH

Chicago Bears, Detroit Lions, Green Bay Packers, Minnesota Vikings

NFC WEST

Arizona Cardinals, Los Angeles Rams (from Stl), San Francisco 49ers, Seattle Seahawks

Here's my futuristic NFL realignment, which includes relocating Jacksonville to Los Angeles and expansion teams added to Portland, Salt Lake City, Oklahoma City and Virginia (Va.Beach/Norfolk Metro).

The alignment is switches from an AFC/NFC layout to an East/West format.

Each conference has 3 divisions of 6 teams; the three divisional winners plus three wild cards will make the playoffs. Brackets are structured to avoid a divisional winner playing a wild card from their division in the 1st round (unless unavoidable; ie, all 3 wild cards from the same division, etc)

I'm not fully satisfied with the divisional names.

Western Conference

Great Lakes Division: Green Bay Packers, Detroit Lions, Minnesota Vikings, Chicago Bears, St. Louis Rams, Kansas City Chiefs

Central Division: Arizona Cardinals, Denver Broncos, Houston Texans, Dallas Cowboys, Salt Lake Expansion, Oklahoma City Expansion

Pacific Division: Portland Expansion, San Francisco 49ers, Seattle Seahawks, Los Angeles Jaguars, Oakland Raiders, San Diego Chargers

Eastern Conference

New England Division: Philadelphia Eagles, Washington Redskins, New York Giants, New York Jets, New England Patriots, Buffalo Bills

Atlantic Division: Baltimore Ravens, Cincinatti Bengals, Cleveland Browns, Indianapolis Colts, Pittsburgh Steelers, Virginia Expansion

Southern Division: Atlanta Falcons, Carolina Panthers, Miami Dolphins, New Orleans Saints, Tampa Bay Buccanneers, Tennessee Titans

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

The NEW NHL after Buttman, Fehr, and all the a'holes are ousted by the fans!

EASTERN- ATLANTIC

Detroit Red Wings, New Jersey Devils, New York Rangers, Philadelphia Flyers, Pittsburgh Penguins, Washington Capitals

EASTERN- NORTHEAST

Boston Bruins, Buffalo Sabres, Hamilton Tigers, Montreal Canadiens, Ottawa Senators, Quebec Nordiques, Toronto Maple Leafs

WESTERN- CENTRAL

Chicago Blackhawks, Cincinnati Stingers, Houston Aeros, Minnesota North Stars, St. Louis Blues, Winnipeg Jets

WESTERN- PACIFIC

Calgary Flames, Colorado Avalanche, Edmonton Oilers, Los Angeles Kings, San Jose Sharks, Seattle Totems, Vancouver Canucks

1. Less 1970s hockey wankery please. Surprised you didn't rename the Avalanche the Rockies or the Denver Spurs.

2. So which franchises die and move?

• Like 1
On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

THE NHL Revamped, pt. 2 (in stages)

2013 - The league folds

2014 - A new league is formed and inherits the NHL name and all it's history. 21 teams are formed from pre-existing teams. All previous player contracts are in void and an Entry Draft is held where players are drafted and spread out to the new teams (salary cap put in place). All teams are placed into two conferences, East and West with no divisions. Top 8 from each conference go onto Stanley Cup Playoffs and ran just like before.

EASTERN CONFERENCE (11)

Boston Bruins, Buffalo Sabres, Detroit Red Wings, Montreal Canadiens, New Jersey Devils, New York Rangers, Ottawa Senators, Philadelphia Flyers, Pittsburgh Penguins, Toronto Maple Leafs, and Washington Capitals.

WESTERN CONFERENCE (10)

Calgary Flames, Chicago Blackhawks, Colorado Avalanche, Edmonton Oilers, Los Angeles Kings, Minnesota North Stars (with Dallas Stars gone, Minnesota buys out and re-adopts the North Stars name), San Jose Sharks, St. Louis Blues, Vancouver Canucks, and Winnipeg Jets.

2020 - In 2020, the league decides to expand to 24 teams, with 4 more planned to be awarded by 2025. Cities that apply for expansion in 2020 are:

Cincinnati, Ohio

Cleveland, Ohio

Hamilton, Ontario

Kansas City, Missouri

Portland, Oregon

Quebec City, Quebec

Saskatoon, Saskatchewan

Seattle, Washingtonn

First post here. I read a blog somewhere online on what the MLB divisions would look like if they were identical to the NFL divisions (by city).

Yankees, Red Sox, Blue Jays, Marlins

Orioles, Indians, Reds, Pirates

White Sox, Astros, Sounds, Angels

Royals, A's, Padres, Rockies

Mets, Rangers, Phillies, Nationals

Braves, Dodgers, Zephyrs, Rays

Cubs, Brewers, Tigers, Twins

Cardinals, Diamondbacks, Mariners, Giants

The Blue Jays go in the Bills' place. Milwaukee goes into the Packers' place. The author put the Dodgers into the Panthers' place and the Angels in the Jaguars' place, and the White Sox in the Colts' place. The Dodgers, Angels and White Sox (since the Cubs went into the Bears' place) were the oddballs and had to go somewhere. Expansion teams added were the Nashville Sounds and New Orleans Zephyrs.

Talk about pointless!

After the Kings relocate to Seattle the NBA goes back to 4 divisions instead of 6:

Eastern Conference

Atlantic Division

Boston, Brooklyn, Miami, New York, Orlando, Philadelphia, Washington, Toronto

Central Division

Atlanta, Charlotte, Chicago, Cleveland, Detroit, Indiana, Milwaukee

Western Conference

Pacific Division

Denver, Golden State, L.A. Clippers, L.A. Lakers, Phoenix, Portland, Seattle, Utah

Midwest Division

Dallas, Houston, Memphis, Minnesota, New Orleans, Oklahoma City, San Antonio