The Pointless Realignment Outpost

Lee.

Who here thinks that the Stanley Cup Final should be held in a month when Canada still has snow? I do. Can't we shift the NHL season to accommodate this? Start the season in September, for one. Play an average of 16 games a month for 5 1/2 months (Sep, Oct, Nov, Dec, Jan) and have the playoffs run from mid-February to mid-April; providing two weeks per round. I know that those players who miss the playoffs or go out early like to hit the golf clubs, and perhaps can't do that when snow is on the ground, but they have money, right? If they really want to golf, they can go somewhere where they can.

Now, I realize that a March Stanley Cup Final would go right up against March Madness, but as it stands, the NBA Finals and baseball are also playing, not to mention other things, like the Women's World Cup, Euro qualifying, etc. There's always going to be some competition for sports dollars on the calendar.

Thoughts?

Who here thinks that the Stanley Cup Final should be held in a month when Canada still has snow? I do. Can't we shift the NHL season to accommodate this? Start the season in September, for one. Play an average of 16 games a month for 5 1/2 months (Sep, Oct, Nov, Dec, Jan) and have the playoffs run from mid-February to mid-April; providing two weeks per round. I know that those players who miss the playoffs or go out early like to hit the golf clubs, and perhaps can't do that when snow is on the ground, but they have money, right? If they really want to golf, they can go somewhere where they can.

Now, I realize that a March Stanley Cup Final would go right up against March Madness, but as it stands, the NBA Finals and baseball are also playing, not to mention other things, like the Women's World Cup, Euro qualifying, etc. There's always going to be some competition for sports dollars on the calendar.

Thoughts?

They've probably already thought of some of that.

However, August preseason games... opening season vs. NFL & NCAAF, playoffs vs. NCAAB... it's just not in the cards.

I don't mind a June Final. Sure it's hockey in June... except it is only the last 2-4x teams remaining to play. Besides, the NHL draft is this month which is great, & FA on July 1.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

August preseason games... opening season vs. NFL & NCAAF, playoffs vs. NCAAB... it's just not in the cards.

I don't mind a June Final. Sure it's hockey in June... except it is only the last 2-4x teams remaining to play. Besides, the NHL draft is this month which is great, & FA on July 1.

I think that while there is certainly some overlap in terms of sports fans following NFL/NCAA/NCAAB and hockey, there are large swathes of sports fans that are one or the other. Hockey is king in Canada and perhaps among some people in the northern states. If the league focused its attention on where the majority of hockey fans are, it would do better than if it focused on failed markets like Arizona and South Florida. I'll be curious to see what kind of attendance the Cup parade will have in Tampa if they end up winning the Cup. I would wager it will be unspectacular, and not even draw on local news outlets.

32-team MLB:

American League

AL East

Baltimore Orioles

Boston Red Sox

New York Yankees

Toronto Blue Jays

Al North

Chicago White Sox

Cleveland Indians

Detroit Tigers

Minnesota Twins

AL South

Charlotte (haven't thought of a good name yet, maybe some help?)

Houston Astros

Kansas City Royals

Texas Rangers

AL West

Los Angeles Angels

Portland Rays

San Jose Athletics

Seattle Mariners

National League

NL East

NY Mets

Philadelphia Phillies

Pittsburgh Pirates

Washington Nationals

NL North

Chicago Cubs

Cincinnati Reds

Milwaukee Brewers

Montreal Expos

NL South

Atlanta Braves

Colorado Rockies

Miami Marlins

St. Louis Cardinals

NL West

Arizona D'backs

LA Dodgers

San Diego Padres

San Francisco Giants

spacer.png

August preseason games... opening season vs. NFL & NCAAF, playoffs vs. NCAAB... it's just not in the cards.

I think that while there is certainly some overlap in terms of sports fans following NFL/NCAA/NCAAB and hockey, there are large swathes of sports fans that are one or the other. Hockey is king in Canada and perhaps among some people in the northern states. If the league focused its attention on where the majority of hockey fans are, it would do better than if it focused on failed markets like Arizona and South Florida. I'll be curious to see what kind of attendance the Cup parade will have in Tampa if they end up winning the Cup. I would wager it will be unspectacular, and not even draw on local news outlets.

I think you severely underestimate the Lightning's popularity in Tampa. Of course it's not like Toronto but the team is popular in town and has been successful.
niagaraq.png

For kicks... here's the 20 cities I would have if I could only have exact same 20 for all 4 leagues...

East-

Boston

Montreal

New York

Philadelphia

Toronto

North-

Chicago

Cleveland

Detroit

Minnesota

Pittsburgh

South-

Atlanta

Houston

Miami

St. Louis

Washington

West-
Denver

Kansas City

Los Angeles

San Francisco

Seattle

• Like 1

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

BIG NEWS. The top four levels of professional pigball, along with four teams from the Pigball Conference, have been consolidated into 32 teams and renamed...THE NATIONAL PIGBALL LEAGUE.

Here's how the alignment worked out:

FREEDOM CONFERENCE

Eastern Division

Baltimore Thunder

Brooklyn Flame

Orlando Hurricane

Philadelphia Independence

Northern Division

Cleveland Clash

Indiana Energy

Milwaukee Arsenal

Pittsburgh Iron

Southern Division

Atlanta Blaze

Dallas Heat

St. Louis Fury

Tennessee Tornado

Western Division

Colorado Majesty

Hollywood Glamour

San Antonio Infantry

Vancouver Venom

LIBERTY CONFERENCE

Eastern Division

Boston Revolution

Miami Vice

New York Glory

Washington Justice

Northern Division

Chicago Chinook

Detroit Drive

Minnesota Blizzard

Toronto Triumph

Southern Division

Carolina Lightning

Houston Blast

Kansas City Knight

New Orleans Voo Doo

Western Division

Arizona Scorch

Los Angeles Fame

San Francisco Shockwave

Seattle Tsunami

Edited by buzzcut
Edited for formatting purposes.

MofnV2z.png

The CCSLC's resident Geelong Cats fan.

Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends. Sounds like something from a Rocky & Bullwinkle story arc.

32 team MLB

AL East:

New York Yankees

Boston Red Sox

Ottawa Guards (TOR)

Baltimore Orioles

AL North:

Cleveland Indians

Detroit Tigers

Milwaukee Brewers

Minnesota Twins

AL South:

Texas Rangers

Tampa Bay Rays

Oklahoma City Twisters*

Los Angeles Angels

AL West:

Portland Athletics (OAK)

Seattle Mariners

Colorado Freeze (COL)

Las Vegas Royals (KC)

NL East:

New York Mets

Washington Nationals

Louisville Saints*

Philadelphia Phillies

NL North:

Chicago Cubs

Chicago White Sox

Cincinnati Redmen (CIN)

Pittsburgh Pirates

NL South:

Miami Marlins

St. Louis Cardinals

Houston Astros

Atlanta Braves

NL West:

Los Angeles Dodgers

San Fransisco Giants

Arizona Diamondbacks

San Diego Padres

key

(abbreviaton) Relocated team

* Expansion Team

NL North:

Chicago Cubs

Chicago White Sox

Cincinnati Redmen (CIN)

Pittsburgh Pirates

QwDGgnH.gif

I don't think I need to explain that one. Also, White Sox in the NL? Toronto moving to Ottawa? Kansas City moving to Vegas? Cardinals and Cubs split? What the f:censored:k

97uyh0.jpg

Bruh check out my last.fm

And my Rate Your Music

Fantasy Teams: Seattle Spacemen (CFA)

Signature credit to Silent Wind of Doom

Thats why it's called the POINTLESS realignment outpost

It wasn't a random WTF realignment though. It looked like a serious MLB realignment.

If you wanna look at some pointless ones, look at the first few pages, or maybe add too many teams for the sake of it.

EDIT: I also made a 32 teams 8 division MLB realignment. You are free to criticize this one ECUFan25. In fact I would encourage you do so

AL East

• Baltimore Orioles

• Boston Red Sox

• New York Yankees

• Toronto Blue Jays

AL North

• Chicago White Sox

• Cleveland Indians

• Detroit Tigers

• Minnesota Twins

AL South

• Houston Astros

• Kansas City Royals

• San Antonio Missions (expansion)

• Texas Rangers

AL West

• Anaheim Angels

• Portland Beavers (expansion)

• Sacramento Athletics (formerly Oakland)

• Seattle Mariners

NL East

• New York Mets

• Philadelphia Phillies

• Pittsburgh Pirates

• Washington Nationals

NL North

• Cincinnati Reds

• Chicago Cubs

• Milwaukee Brewers

• St. Louis Cardinals

NL South

• Arizona Diamondbacks

• Atlanta Braves

• Durham Bulls (formerly Tampa Bay)

• Miami Marlins

NL West

• Colorado Rockies

• Los Angeles Dodgers

• San Diego Padres

• San Francisco Giants

97uyh0.jpg

Bruh check out my last.fm

And my Rate Your Music

Fantasy Teams: Seattle Spacemen (CFA)

Signature credit to Silent Wind of Doom

I was just thinking about this the other day and wondering if the NBA is thinking about expansion anytime soon. I know there has been talk about expanding into Europe but why not add a couple teams here in the states first. Here is my idea for a 32 team NBA. I created two new divisions and made 8 -4 team divisions with 2 new teams.The first no brainer is to bring back the Seattle Sonics. And the second team I thought could be a team in St. Louis. For divisional alignment I thought that would be a good choice. They could call them the Bombers or the Spirits as a couple past teams were named in St. Louis. They would both go the Western Conference and then Memphis could move over to the Eastern Conference. Let me know what you think or what other teams you think might be better suited for joining the NBA.

32teamNBA.png

• 3 weeks later...
What will happen if the NFL absorbs the CFL & USFL to create a promotion relegation league in the 80's

AFC

East: Buffalo Bills, Havana Dolphins, New England Patriots, New Jersey Generals, New York Jets, Toronto Argonauts

North: Baltimore Colts, Cincinnati Bengals, Cleveland Browns, Hamilton Tiger-Cats, Pittsburgh Steelers, Winnipeg Blue Bombers

South: Houston Oilers, Indianapolis Stars, Jacksonville Jaguars, Memphis Showboats, Orlando Blazers, Tulsa Oilers

West: Denver Broncos, Kansas City Chiefs, Los Angeles Raiders, Oakland Invaders, San Diego Chargers, Vancouver Cascades

NFC

East: Dallas Cowboys, Montreal Alouettes, New York Giants, Ottawa Renegades, Philadelphia Eagles, Washington Nationals

North: Calgary Stampeders, Chicago Bears, Detroit Lions, Green Bay Packers, Minnesota Vikings, Saskatchewan Roughriders

South: Atlanta Falcons, Birmingham Stallions, Charlotte Panthers, New Orleans Saints, Oklahoma City Drillers, Tampa Bay Bandits

West: Arizona Firebirds, Edmonton Eskimoes, Los Angeles Rams, St. Louis Cardinals, San Francisco 49ers, Seattle Jumbos

Notable League 2 Teams: Central Iowa Buccaneers, Chicago Blitz, Wichita Warriors, Miami Seahawks, Hermosillo Maquilladors, Santiago de Cuba Sunrays, Mexico City Aztecs, Port of Spain Privateers, Apacheria Grenadiers, Arizona Firebirds, Fresno Raisin Fighters, Phoenix Guns, Tri-Cities Granny Smiths, Austin Texans, Corpus Christi Gulfcats, Las Cruces Lancers, Mexico City Federales, North Dallas Bulls, Boise Steelheads, Colorado Springs Peaks, Laramie Lawmen, Las Vegas Blackjacks, Utah Gold (Provo, UT), Honolulu Hawaiians, Los Angeles Express, Salt Lake City Nimrods, Daytona Racers, Nashville Strummers, Dollywood Destroyers, Iowa Barnstormers

I was just thinking about this the other day and wondering if the NBA is thinking about expansion anytime soon. I know there has been talk about expanding into Europe but why not add a couple teams here in the states first. Here is my idea for a 32 team NBA. I created two new divisions and made 8 -4 team divisions with 2 new teams.The first no brainer is to bring back the Seattle Sonics. And the second team I thought could be a team in St. Louis. For divisional alignment I thought that would be a good choice. They could call them the Bombers or the Spirits as a couple past teams were named in St. Louis. They would both go the Western Conference and then Memphis could move over to the Eastern Conference. Let me know what you think or what other teams you think might be better suited for joining the NBA.

32teamNBA.png

Why can't they just do this^^^^

Honestly though what are the hinderments for them doing this and bringing in two more teams? 32 is just the perfect number for any league

CFL, MLB, MLS & NASL, NFL, NBA, NHL, College football v2, FFL, NBL

But first, what College Sports would look like in 2100.

The then Power 5 (ACC, Big 12, Big 10, Pac 12 and SEC) separate and create a new association, the PCAA (Premier Collegiate Athletics Association), leaving behind NCAA Division 1.

College Football in the end of the 21st century

PCAA

ACC - Boston College, Clemson, Duke, East Carolina, Florida State, Georgia Tech, Louisville, Miami (FL), North Carolina, NC State, Pittsburgh, Rutgers, Syracuse, UCF, Virginia, Virginia Tech

Big 12 - Ball State, Baylor, Cincinnati, Iowa State, Memphis, Missouri, Missouri State, Northern Illinois, Kansas, Kansas State, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, TCU, Texas Tech, USF, West Virginia

Big 10 - Buffalo, Connecticut, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Maryland, Michigan, Michigan State, Minnesota, Nebraska, Northwestern, North Dakota State, Ohio State, Penn State, Purdue, Wisconsin

Pac-16 - Arizona, Arizona State, Boise State, California, Colorado, Colorado State, Oregon, Oregon State, Southern California, Stanford, UCLA, UNLV, Utah, Utah State, Washington, Washington State

SEC - Alabama, Appalachian State, Arkansas, Auburn, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, LSU, Mississippi, Mississippi State, Old Dominion, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas A&M, Tulsa, Vanderbilt

Independents - Air Force, Army, BYU, Navy, Notre Dame, Texas (at first, shockingly moves to the SEC, then became independent and signed a deal with ABC similar to Notre Dame and NBC, keeps the Longhorn Network for road games and pre and post game shows)

NCAA Division 1 (FBS and FCS merged after the PCAA formed. Plus, lots of D2 programs moved to D1, and even conference mergers.)

CUSA-American - Charlotte, FAU, FIU, Houston, Louisiana Tech, Marshall, Middle Tennessee, Rice, SMU, Southern Miss, Temple, Tulane, UAB, UTEP, UTSA, Western Kentucky

MAC - Akron, Bowling Green, Central Michigan, Dayton, Eastern Michigan, Indiana State, Illinois State, Northern Iowa, South Dakota State, Kent State, Miami (OH), Ohio, Southern Illinois, Toledo, West Michigan, Youngstown State

Mountain West - Eastern Washington, Fresno State, Idaho, Idaho State, Hawaii, Nevada, Montana, Montana State, New Mexico, New Mexico State, North Dakota, Northern Arizona, Portland State, San Diego State, San Jose State, Wyoming

Sun Belt - Arkansas State, Central Arkansas, Furman, Liberty, Georgia Southern, Georgia State, Jacksonville State, Louisiana-Lafayette, Louisiana-Monroe, McNeese State, Samford, Tennessee State, Tennessee Tech, Texas State, Western Carolina, Wofford

Big Sky - Azusa Pacific, Cal Poly, Chadron State, Colorado-Mesa, Colorado State-Pueblo, Fort Lewis, Mary, Minnesota-Duluth, Minot State, Northern Colorado, Sacramento State, San Diego, Southern Utah, UC Davis, Weber State, Western Oregon

Big South - Campbell*, Carson-Newman, Catawba, Charleston Southern, Coastal Carolina, Gardner-Webb, High Point*, Lenoir-Rhyne, Longwood*, Newberry, Radford* Kennesaw State, Presbyterian, Tusculum, UNC Asheville*, Winthrop*

CAA - Albany, American International, Bentley, Binghamton*, Delaware, Elon, James Madison, LIU Post, Maine, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Richmond, Stony Brook, Towson, Villanova, William & Mary

Ivy League - Brown, Columbia, Cornell, Dartmouth, Harvard, Penn, Princeton, Yale

MEAC - Bethune-Cookman, Delaware State, Florida A&M, Hampton, Howard, Morgan State, Norfolk State, North Carolina A&T, North Carolina Central, Savannah State, South Carolina State

Missouri-Ohio Valley - Arkansas-Little Rock, Austin Peay, Bradley*, Drake, Eastern Illinois, Eastern Kentucky, Evansville*, Loyola (Chicago)*, Murray State, SIU-Edwardsville*, South Dakota, Southeast Missouri State, Tennessee Tech, UT-Martin, Western Illinois, Wichita State

Northeast - Assumption, Bryant, Bloomsburg, Central Connecticut State, Duquesne, East Stroudsburg, Fairleigh Dickinson, Mount St. Mary's*, Robert Morris, Sacred Heart, St. Anselm, St. Francis, Shepherd, Slippery Rock, Wagner, West Chester

Patriot - American*, Boston University*, Bucknell, Colgate, Fordham, Georgetown, Holy Cross, Indiana (PA), Lafayette, Lehigh, Loyola (MD)*, Marist, Merrimack, New Haven, Pace, Southern Connecticut State, Stonehill

Southern-Southland - Abilene Christian, Citadel, Houston Baptist, Incarnate Word, Jacksonville, Lamar, Mercer, Morehead State, Nicholls State, Northwestern State, Sam Houston State, Southeastern Louisiana, Stephen F. Austin, Stetson, UT-Chattanooga, VMI

SWAC - Alabama A&M, Alabama State, Alcorn State, Arkansas-Pine Bluff, Grambling State, Jackson State, Miss. Valley State, Prairie View A&M, Southern, Texas Southern

NCAA Division 2 (Lots of D3 programs moved to D2.)

CIAA - Bowie State, Chowan, Elizabeth City State, Fayetteville State, Johnson C. Smith, Lincoln (PA), Livingstone, St. Augustine's, Shaw, Virginia State, Virginia Union, Winston-Salem State

GAC - Arkansas Tech, Arkansas-Monticello, East Central, Harding, Henderson State, Mary-Hardin Baylor, Northwestern Oklahoma State, Oklahoma Baptist, Ouachita Baptist, Southeastern Oklahoma State, Southern Arkansas, Southern Nazarene, Southwestern Oklahoma State, Texas Lutheran, Trinity (TX)

GLIAC - Ashland, Ferris State, Findlay, Grand Valley State, Hillsdale, Lake Erie, Malone, Michigan Tech, Mount Union, Northern Michigan, Northwood, Ohio Dominican, Saginaw Valley State, Tiffin, Walsh, Wayne State

GLVC - Bluffton, Defiance, Franklin, Hanover, Indianapolis, Lincoln (MO), Manchester, McKendree, Missouri S&T, Mount St. Joseph, Quincy, Rose-Hulman, St. Josephs (Indiana), Southwest Baptist, Truman State, William Jewell

Great Northern Sun - Augustana, Bemidji State, Central Washington, Concordia-St. Paul, Dixie State, Humboldt, Minnesota-Crookston, Minnesota State-Mankato, Minnesota State-Moorhead, Northern State, St. Cloud State, Simon Fraser, Sioux Falls, South Dakota Mines, Southwest Minnesota State, Upper Iowa, Wayne State (Nebraska), Winona State

Gulf South - Birmingham Southern, Berry College, Centre College, Delta State, Florida Tech, Hendrix College, Millsaps, Mississppi College, Northern Alabama, Rhodes College, Sewanee, Shorter, Valdosta State, West Alabama, West Georgia, West Florida

Lone Star - Angelo State, Belhaven, East Texas Baptist, Eastern New Mexico, Hardin-Simmons, Howard Payne, Louisiana College, Mary Hardin-Baylor, McMurry, Midwestern State, Sul Ross State, Tarleton State, Texas A&M–Commerce, Texas A&M–Kingsville, UT Permian Basin, West Texas A&M

SIAC - Albany State, Benedict, Central State, Clark Atlanta, Fort Valley State, Kentucky State, Lane College, Miles College, Morehouse College, Paine, Stillman, Tuskegee

* - started football programs in the future

(more coming soon)