2017-18 NCAA Football Thread

dfwabel

51 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

Commentators on the UW/Cal game were just having an in-depth conversation about the time Washington games are aired on TV, PAC-12 TV deals, and the importance of schedule flexibility for broadcasting networks. It was prompted by a quote from Chris Petersen complaining about being on so late for the east coast, but the whole exchange was still weird.

Do people on the east coast not enjoy late night football?

Unless you are USC, it's the hangup which coaches have for the exposure and that it's more difficult for AP Voters and writers to appreciate players. They must meet deadlines for the games they covered, so they're not really watching.

West coasters look at how both Toby Gerhardt and Andrew Luck were Heisman runners up not winners and how Bryce Love is being overlooked this season.

Other Pac-12 coaches chimed in after Peterson.

http://pac-12.com/article/2017/10/03/pac-12-football-coaches-teleconference-coaches-weigh-late-start-times-pac-12

Failure of their own network not being on DirecTV after 5 years doesn't help too.

• Replies 741
  • Created
  • Last Reply
42 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

Commentators on the UW/Cal game were just having an in-depth conversation about the time Washington games are aired on TV, PAC-12 TV deals, and the importance of schedule flexibility for broadcasting networks. It was prompted by a quote from Chris Petersen complaining about being on so late for the east coast, but the whole exchange was still weird.

Hey Chris, playing those late-night games didn't really hurt Washington last year, did it?

East coasters are probably football'ed out come 11pm.  Their football day started at 9am when College GameDay comes on.  At some point between noon and 8pm ET, their team plays.  So they caught their team's game, and throw in some combination of the noon game, the 3:30pm game, and the 7pm games....by the time 10:30pm hits, they've been able to sit through three full games (and likely did some flipping in between) and nearly 14 hours of TV watching.  If there's no sort of local connection in the late games, there's going to be some tapping out.  And keep in mind....all day football tomorrow.  There aren't many times where I'm watching these late games, and really don't watch much of the Sunday Night Football games, either.

With Georgia playing the noon game and the Falcons off, it was an opportune weekend for me to knock out some Honey-Do's and had a date night with the skirt.  (Always good to build Brownie Point Currency, especially during the football season.)

5 minutes ago, HedleyLamarr said:

Hey Chris, playing those late-night games didn't really hurt Washington last year, did it?

East coasters are probably football'ed out come 11pm.  Their football day started at 9am when College GameDay comes on.  At some point between noon and 8pm ET, their team plays.  So they caught their team's game, and throw in some combination of the noon game, the 3:30pm game, and the 7pm games....by the time 10:30pm hits, they've been able to sit through three full games (and likely did some flipping in between) and nearly 14 hours of TV watching.  If there's no sort of local connection in the late games, there's going to be some tapping out.  And keep in mind....all day football tomorrow.  There aren't many times where I'm watching these late games, and really don't watch much of the Sunday Night Football games, either.

With Georgia playing the noon game and the Falcons off, it was an opportune weekend for me to knock out some Honey-Do's and had a date night with the skirt.  (Always good to build Brownie Point Currency, especially during the football season.)

You didn't mention something many college football fans use all day while watching...ALCOHOL.

58 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

I live in the central timezone, but when I get to watch I full day of college football there's definitely a point where I start to burnout, even if I'm not tired or anything. I want to watch all of the games, and because I'm an immature mess, I try to watch all of the worthwhile games and just can't after a while. This also carries over into the NFL games on Sunday where I'm far less likely to watch all of the games I get than I used to because we used to live in a world where every single college game wasn't easily available one way or another. 

When I went to UW, night games were rare, and only for major non-conference opponents, like Nebraska. I don't like the games going late, I liked the standard 1:00 p.m. starts, but as time moves on, I'm used to changes. But Cal is no Nebraska, and it is getting late here. Game might be over by midnight local time.

I just didn't care for Herbstriet's condescending attitude in his response.

A lot of the UW games this season seem to have been starting at 5 p.m. local time or later. It hasn't always been that way.

Out here, we're definitely not used to games ending at 11 p.m. local time, like tonight's will. Even when there's a Seahawks MNF game, it's done by 8:30 or so.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

56 minutes ago, ninersdd said:

Gary Anderson and Oregon State have parted ways.

Why did he leave Wisconsin for Oregon State? I feel like I heard talk that everybody hates Barry Alvarez, but I never really looked in to it. 

4 minutes ago, Red Wolf said:

Why did he leave Wisconsin for Oregon State? I feel like I heard talk that everybody hates Barry Alvarez, but I never really looked in to it. 

Take your pick (or all) of the following:

Barry Alvarez is hard to work for.

Andersen wasn't happy with the pool of $ for assistant coaches; 11th in B1G when he left for Corvallis.

He wanted looser academic requirements.

The family wasn't happy in Madison.

6 hours ago, dfwabel said:

Take your pick (or all) of the following:

Barry Alvarez is hard to work for.

Andersen wasn't happy with the pool of $ for assistant coaches; 11th in B1G when he left for Corvallis.

He wanted looser academic requirements.

The family wasn't happy in Madison.

I've heard all of these, with the academics being the most common.  But maybe we don't want to admit that it's Alvarez.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Syracuse followed up the worst delay of game call I've seen with a pretty sweet QB run to clinch the game.  Clemson was probably a little overrated coming in, but that's obviously a great win for Syracuse and Dino Babers.

I want to add that Eric Dungey is a guy who's not on the national radar who is a very, very good football player.

IUe6Hvh.png

Archived