dfwabel

2017-18 NCAA Football Thread

Recommended Posts

Tennessee has a press conference for 1pm tomorrow.  Looks like Butch may be done.

 

If so....he's had about as weird an 11 months I can ever recall a coach having.  His heart may be in the right place, but his head was out to lunch....the "Champions of Life" thing, the turnover trash can (which got Texas A&M to copy) thing, the "best 2 years in Tennessee history" thing, and the "best bye week" and "leadership reps" things of this past week.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, HedleyLamarr said:

Tennessee has a press conference for 1pm tomorrow.  Looks like Butch may be done.

 

If so....he's had about as weird an 11 months I can ever recall a coach having.  His heart may be in the right place, but his head was out to lunch....the "Champions of Life" thing, the turnover trash can (which got Texas A&M to copy) thing, the "best 2 years in Tennessee history" thing, and the "best bye week" and "leadership reps" things of this past week.

Yep, today was the last nail in the coffin I'm sure. Or should I say, brick (by brick) in the...wall. I dunno.  Should be for the best for Tennessee, but this is Tennessee so hey.

 

What's the difference between Tennessee football and toilet water? At least toilet water knows how to make it over the top after enough crap.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

By the way, I think LSU is the current "Champions of Life", if I've got my chain correct:

 

Jones declares Tennessee "Champions of Life" in November after they get eliminated from SEC East race.

Vanderbilt beats Tennessee to close out the season.

NC State takes the title by beating Vanderbilt in their bowl game, holds title over the offseason.

South Carolina beats NC State in the opening week of the season.

Kentucky beats South Carolina.

Florida beats Kentucky.

LSU beats Florida last week.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Seattle Times had some piece this week about how UW has three games this season where they're playing a team coming off a bye while the Huskies only have a week between games.

 

It's definitely showing tonight. Ouch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Four top tens falling to unranked teams in a single week. Everybody refuses to be great in college football. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

HOLY :censored:. 

 

Yeah, I knew the PAC 12 wasn't that good this year. Fork em, Devs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So the playoffs will be an undefeated Alabama and a bunch of 1 loss teams. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Wings said:

So the playoffs will be an undefeated Alabama and a bunch of 1 loss teams. 

No, there's likely going to be a 2 loss team in the playoff over a possibly unbeaten or 1 loss G5 team (USF/UCF winner).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is a decent chance Notre Dame would end the Pac-12’s playoff hopes with a win over Southern California on Saturday. I don’t think USC is that good, but I don’t see how a 12-1 Washington or Washington State gets in over other one-loss major-conference programs. That said, there’s a lot of chaos left to play out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Wings said:

So the playoffs will be an undefeated Alabama and a bunch of 1 loss teams. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe this can be the year we just go back to voting for the champion before the bowls and move on with our lives. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Penn State still has a chance to be perfect but they'll start the guantlet on Saturday. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

FYI, Nebraska has hired away Wazzu AD Bill Moss for the same position.

 

Before Wazzu, Moos was AD at Oregon where he promoted.....Chip Kelly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

Penn State still has a chance to be perfect but they'll start the guantlet on Saturday. 

They will beat Michigan at home but lose at the 'Shoe. The following weekend in Lansing won't be a gimme.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, jmac11281 said:

They will beat Michigan at home but lose at the 'Shoe. The following weekend in Lansing won't be a gimme.

I hope you're right. I'd like to think Michigan could at least test that defense but I don't see how they can without Speight. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, MJWalker45 said:

I hope you're right. I'd like to think Michigan could at least test that defense but I don't see how they can without Speight. 

Penn State's defense has been surprisingly dominant. I honestly don't see that inept Wolverine offense doing much against them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's why I think they'll beat Ohio State. The Buckeyes have to give Barrett enough time to find the gaps in between the LBs and safeties without getting holding penalties. I don't think they'll do it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

if michigan can get their offense figured out they definitely have a good chance at PSU. it's going to take everything going right, and a lottttttt of run plays.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, tutorhunky said:

if michigan can get their offense figured out they definitely have a good chance at PSU. it's going to take everything going right, and a lottttttt of POSITIVE run plays.

I think Michigan can do damage if they can mix in option runs and middle screens on Penn State. If they try going outside with the short pass Penn State will destroy them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.