dfwabel

2017-18 NCAA Football Thread

Recommended Posts

44 minutes ago, OnWis97 said:

It was the correct call by the rules, but Tulsa still covered the 12.5.

 

Tulsa also had these other penalties tonight.

1- In the 1st Q, a player spiked the ball after scoring his first college TD. Tulsa was penalized the 15 yards and SMU returned the kickoff past the 50 to get a TD drive.

 

2-Tulsa got a Taunting penalty while on defense and SMU scored two plays later.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ohio State's uniforms should not even be legal. This game is difficult to watch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

Ohio State's uniforms should not even be legal. This game is difficult to watch.

Yup, one of the very few times I'm pulling for the Buckeyes and this happens. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Florida sucks.  Nussmeier has to go and while I don't dislike McElwain — it's not a lack of effort that's the problem and the program has momentum with recruiting — he probably has to own the fact he refused to part ways with Nussmeier and should probably be fired as well.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, See Red said:

Florida sucks.  Nussmeier has to go and while I don't dislike McElwain — it's not a lack of effort that's the problem and the program has momentum with recruiting — he probably has to own the fact he refused to part ways with Nussmeier and should probably be fired as well.

 

Stricklin will clean house. The death threat issue from Tuesday will force his hand as soon as tomorrow. The question is who'll be targeted?

Stricklin's former HC Dan Mullen? PJ Fleck? Matt Campbell? Mike Norvell (Memphis)?

7 minutes ago, DScruggy729 said:

Man, Ohio State is getting hosed by the refs. That’ll teach em for wearing gray. 

The endzone cam convinced me (unfortunately) that the WR had the ball.  Touchdown

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, dfwabel said:

Stricklin will clean house. The death threat issue from Tuesday will force his hand as soon as tomorrow. The question is who'll be targeted?

Stricklin's former HC Dan Mullen? PJ Fleck? Matt Campbell? Mike Norvell (Memphis)?

The endzone cam convinced me (unfortunately) that the WR had the ball.  Touchdown

There’s still that pick in the end zone that was (somehow) wiped by a pass interference. 

 

Either way, Ohio State just haven’t been good enough. The opening kickoff return, plus the turnovers aren’t helping. 

 

EDIT: And as I typed this blocked punt. They needed that one. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gators working hard off the field. They're looking to fire McElwain with cause.

 

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/21199029

 

Quote

After failing to find any evidence to substantiate claims made by McElwain this week that his family and players received death threats, Florida administrators have worked to see if McElwain's allegations were enough to relieve the university from paying McElwain's full buyout of $12.9 million if he were to be fired.

Sources told ESPN that they believe the university has enough cause to fire McElwain without having to pay his buyout. Sources also said that if McElwain were to be relieved of his duties, defensive coordinator Randy Shannon would be asked to be the team's interim coach.

On Monday, McElwain told reporters unprompted during his news conference that his family and players received death threats.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, dfwabel said:

Stricklin will clean house. The death threat issue from Tuesday will force his hand as soon as tomorrow. The question is who'll be targeted?

Stricklin's former HC Dan Mullen? PJ Fleck? Matt Campbell? Mike Norvell (Memphis)?

 

I hope you're right.  I like PJ Fleck but would he leave Minnesota after a year?  Mullen, if they can get him sounds like the obvious choice, given his connection to Stricklin and the program, plus he's, for lack of a better term, an established coach.  He turned down the job last time around, though -- does having Stricklin here make a difference to him?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, See Red said:

 

I hope you're right.  I like PJ Fleck but would he leave Minnesota after a year?  Mullen, if they can get him sounds like the obvious choice, given his connection to Stricklin and the program, plus he's, for lack of a better term, an established coach.  He turned down the job last time around, though -- does having Stricklin here make a difference to him?

Fleck isn't being paid excessively at Minnesota he makes about the B1G average of just over $3M, 

but Matt Campbell is the better candidate of similar résumé. Campbell may just stay in Ames until Urban Meyer retires for good.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll take your word for it.  You know more than I do.  I don't know much about Campbell... or Fleck, really, other than his personality and I imagine he'd recruit really well in Gainesville.

 

On another note, I've never been so happy to see Ohio State win a football game!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, Campbell has himself a nice thing going in Ames after today's game. It wasn't pretty, but it was effective in the fact that they held a pretty damn good TCU offense out of the end zone. Iowa State has always been a launching pad for bigger and better things most of the time (looking at your lame ass, Gene Chizik).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you, Ohio State!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, See Red said:

I'll take your word for it.  You know more than I do.  I don't know much about Campbell... or Fleck, really, other than his personality and I imagine he'd recruit really well in Gainesville.

 

On another note, I've never been so happy to see Ohio State win a football game!

Two outliers are Chip Kelly (obviously), but also RichRod who can recruit the state. Dino Babers, Scott Frost and Mike Bobo may also move up.

 

$hit, I'll start the coaching thread on Monday as I'm staying in phone until then.

Edit: It seems that there will be quite a few Power 5 gigs available soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, the big thing to look forward to on Tuesday when the playoff rankings come out is the 3 & 4 spots, because Georgia and Alabama are gonna be 1 & 2. Clemson, Ohio State, and Notre Dame, I believe will be the decision between the final two spots, each with different bests on the season. Clemson has the best resume out of these three, OSU has the best win, and Notre Dame has the best loss. Oklahoma is right behind these 3, in my opinion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jesus :censored:, Sun Devils. How absolutely embarrassing. Fire Todd Graham. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.